• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just say no to crystal portals!

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd rather just see a "travel wand" or something

A blessed wand that once per hour allows the person to double click it, and gate to any destination in their rune book. Has uses on SP as well as production. This teleport crystal just looks like poo.
Did you say... 'blessed'...not going to happen...besides just use Magery and
reagents does save lots of programming code.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For other shards, it may be fine, but I feel it may provide a little too much safety for the lands of Siege Perilous. We need players out and about, not hopping private moongates from here to there in complete safety. It just doesn't seem to fall in line with the spirit of Siege PERILOUS.
Players have the choice of learning Magery to get the Gate spell. This actually
helps non-Magery Templates. I not like this option. If they want, they could
just remove the No Recall option for Runebooks. But, that not going to happen!
Looks like I agree with Kat...oh my the world is changing...for the good?

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We also need passive detect and to change it back to where you have to count your steps while stealthing...

Thats the thing that amuses me about this shard... People say it does not belong on Siege only if it does not benefit them... Because you guys should be saying the same thing about the combination of Hide/stealth/smokebombs etc... But you dont because you all play that type of character... Just my 0.02 cents...
Passive detect idea is dead...dead... dead... so is the other Stealth step counting...
Have it your way and whole Templates go away...

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal opinion is, you're doing a 'popps', making a mountain out of a molehill.
The crystal portal makes a gate to a bank or moongate. All it will do is save us poor mortals who travel on blessed tome and jewels from fizzling 20 times before we manage to cast off a scroll.
Teleporter between houses - won't be many of them, and what will it really mean? That if you happen, by gigantic coincidence, to be outside my home when I arrive you won't have the 2 - 3 tiles chance of killing me before I get inside? How big a difference is it really? Arriving at the house sign or arriving inside the house?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just don't like it, Petra. It is just my opinion of course. I just see what makes Siege slipping away... I really wish we were a seperate game. *sighs*

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And as Petra(?) said before, these are 12th anniversary gifts, how many 12 year accounts do we have on this shard? That is until they start selling on UOGameCodes.com...

I had to look at my only account...137 months... so not me!

We should have a thread... how old is your accounts?

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

M

Mr X

They were not very clear on the function and application of the new vet rewards, I mean hell look at the mental midget that wrote the publish notes. Anyway if you can use the portal from your house then no big deal. I had the impression you could carry the object around on you.

I did rant on uhall about the other things mentioned like faction runes etc.

And promptly got ignored except for people telling me siege is dead and does not deserve the extra attention. Well really? We have a low population cause we are almost like a trammy shard now. Nothing unique about siege anymore except we have no trammel or insurance.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And as Petra(?) said before, these are 12th anniversary gifts, how many 12 year accounts do we have on this shard? That is until they start selling on UOGameCodes.com...

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
In the last 12 years how many vet rewards have been sold on UO codes? One of my accounts is 138 months so i'll will be getting a house teleporter in 6 months.

Idahoan

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal opinion is, you're doing a 'popps', making a mountain out of a molehill.
The crystal portal makes a gate to a bank or moongate. All it will do is save us poor mortals who travel on blessed tome and jewels from fizzling 20 times before we manage to cast off a scroll.
Teleporter between houses - won't be many of them, and what will it really mean? That if you happen, by gigantic coincidence, to be outside my home when I arrive you won't have the 2 - 3 tiles chance of killing me before I get inside? How big a difference is it really? Arriving at the house sign or arriving inside the house?
Yeah, what she said!!! I'll let ya know how it works in a few days....

B

Bruin

I just don't like it, Petra. It is just my opinion of course. I just see what makes Siege slipping away... I really wish we were a seperate game. *sighs*
QFT

There should be a vision for this game/Siege, and any changes regarding this game/Siege should revolve around that vision.

If Siege is supposed to be a land of danger and peril, where's the danger in double clicking an item and being instantly teleported to the bank (crystal portal), another home of yours (teleporters), or a faction stronghold (faction runes)? The simple fact is these items REMOVE peril and danger (of having to run to the bank, my home, etc) from this land which is contrary to the vision of what Siege is supposed to be about.

Yes, it's a SMALL step in making Siege less perilous, but a step in that direction nonetheless which is why I don't like it. And once you add up all the small things they've done to make Siege less perilous, you'll see they've taken a very big step away from that.

Crystal Portals
House Teleporters
Faction Runes
Insta-res seeds
Sacrifice Insta-self res
Insta-body looting
smoke bombs
Unlimited mount stamina
That tree res thing in the abyss
Moongates inside of towns
pet bonding
Log out/in retrieval of pets

How much less perilous do you want Siege?

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
QFT

There should be a vision for this game/Siege, and any changes regarding this game/Siege should revolve around that vision.

If Siege is supposed to be a land of danger and peril, where's the danger in double clicking an item and being instantly teleported to the bank (crystal portal), another home of yours (teleporters), or a faction stronghold (faction runes)? The simple fact is these items REMOVE peril and danger (of having to run to the bank, my home, etc) from this land which is contrary to the vision of what Siege is supposed to be about.

Yes, it's a SMALL step in making Siege less perilous, but a step in that direction nonetheless which is why I don't like it. And once you add up all the small things they've done to make Siege less perilous, you'll see they've taken a very big step away from that.

Crystal Portals
House Teleporters
Faction Runes
Insta-res seeds
Sacrifice Insta-self res
Insta-body looting
smoke bombs
Unlimited mount stamina
That tree res thing in the abyss
Moongates inside of towns
pet bonding
Log out/in retrieval of pets

How much less perilous do you want Siege?
I agree whole heartedly about pet bonding, unimited mount stamina, faction runes, and the moongates in town... the others dont matter so much to me.

I would add that the removal of private housing would ADD Perilous conditions across the shard! As it is, everyone can have an 18x18 plot of Trammel, or worse...Trammel Land Castles!

Removing guards ( or at least the guards who do 10,000 damage per whack ) would make the shard more like it's old self again... perilous.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*stares*
Yahaxithonix
143 months...almost there!

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soulstones.

People should need to take the time to train skills -- a period of time where they are less than optimal. This isn't a punishment for them, but a reward for those who stick to their skill set. It also makes people less independent. If you want to play on test center, play on test center.

(Of course, RoT would have to go too. Or at least, it would have to change.)

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soulstones.

People should need to take the time to train skills -- a period of time where they are less than optimal. This isn't a punishment for them, but a reward for those who stick to their skill set. It also makes people less independent. If you want to play on test center, play on test center.

(Of course, RoT would have to go too. Or at least, it would have to change.)
I agree with you, and hate thinking about losing the investment in the 25+ stones I have at the same time. If they let me transfer them to prodo shard, I am all for it!

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see a jump to the bank or the moongate as game ending for Siege. There is no way this is shard altering IMHO.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well before everyone freaks out ...go TRY out the crystal portal.

I just claimed the one year blessed vet reward and slapped it up *set to ANYONE* in my Skara Brae street house, the one owned by my Hughes of Gray across the street from Skara Gardens vendors.

I stood before it and said Ocllo Mint and it took me right up to the bank.

Course I FORGOT to have a gate scroll on me to get back ... LOL DOH !

*gets another chr. to drop a gate scroll for the now stranded QZ * haha

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well before everyone freaks out ...go TRY out the crystal portal.

I just claimed the one year blessed vet reward and slapped it up *set to ANYONE* in my Skara Brae street house

Did same in my zento vendor house. I don't see this effecting anything. And how many people are going to pick this over a red soul stone anyway? Probably only deco nerds like me.

Still gotta wait a month for the house teleporters.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, let me say that I would be horrified to have the recall spell, as it stands in other lands, appear here on Siege.

That said, I wish with all my heart that the crystal portal and the teleporter tiles had arrived several years ago.
If they had, our community would be better off today.

Some of today's players might not be familiar with names such as Iantown, Safe Haven, Wintermoor, Amity, and others - but these were player-run towns, many of them in the middle of nowhere.

I feel very safe in saying that, if these towns had each had a public "gate" house, with tiles set to gatehouses in the other towns, most, if not all, of those towns would still be around today.

To the leaders of our remaining player-run towns - Wispwood Shire, Gilfane Town, Stonehaven, and the others, I encourage you to establish something like that. A public house, filled with clearly marked routes to other, similar houses.

We may need to petition the devs to add "alliance" to the security settings, if some people feel "everyone" access is too risky. We may need to ask them for the ability to "recall" a stone's twin, if one goes missing in an IDOC, or due to a dispute. The concept may need tweaking - but we have been asking for the ability to place our own moongates for years. It's finally arrived.

Siege has always been about the community. I feel this is potentially one of the best things that has happened to our community in a very long time.

B

Bruin

I feel very safe in saying that, if these towns had each had a public "gate" house, with tiles set to gatehouses in the other towns, most, if not all, of those towns would still be around today.

To the leaders of our remaining player-run towns - Wispwood Shire, Gilfane Town, Stonehaven, and the others, I encourage you to establish something like that. A public house, filled with clearly marked routes to other, similar houses.
Wow, I hate to say it, I really don't like the house teleporters, but that is a REALLY good use for the house teleporters.

What I'm thinking of, is imagine if there was a public house very near Yew gate. This public house then had teleporters to a Wispwood building, an Iantown building, a Stonehaven building, a Gilfane building, etc. You could even have teleporters between say Wispwood and Gilfane, etc etc.

I'd even be willing to set up a public teleporting house somewhere near a moongate (yew would be ideal).

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, I hate to say it, I really don't like the house teleporters, but that is a REALLY good use for the house teleporters.

What I'm thinking of, is imagine if there was a public house very near Yew gate. This public house then had teleporters to a Wispwood building, an Iantown building, a Stonehaven building, a Gilfane building, etc. You could even have teleporters between say Wispwood and Gilfane, etc etc.

I'd even be willing to set up a public teleporting house somewhere near a moongate (yew would be ideal).
Don't forget Barter Town...!

(If anyone ever set this up, I'd pay for an extra teleporter.)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Course I FORGOT to have a gate scroll on me to get back ... LOL DOH !
Ditto :D

They really don't do much except save a gate scroll - and strand those of us who forget to check we have a scroll to get back.
I've already done it and I'm betting it won't be more than a couple of days before Terry does it too :D

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't forget Barter Town...!

(If anyone ever set this up, I'd pay for an extra teleporter.)
Ahem! My Barter Town Community Center is already in place, public, and open access to all on the main floor outside ( no doors or teleporters needed to get in ).

It would be an honour to house the 'playergate' on my property, no matter where the hub house is.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I really love the teleporters, it will make it so much easier for me to clean up in my houses and I won't need same lockdowns in several houses and won't need same kind of piles of resources in all my houses.

The crystal portals may help vendor owners with a shop far away from town and moongates if they place a crystal portal their customers can use.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I won't say it's the norm, but there are people on Siege who use "help, stuck" as regularly as some of us use bandages. There are those who spend their lives asking others to gate them here, there, and everywhere. The crystal portals fall somewhere in this area, and aren't really worth worrying about.

What I would like people to focus on is building the community. I really believe this is the best thing to happen to Siege since Siege Bless arrived.

If we can reach the point where every player-run town has a "gate house" with teleport stones to every other player-run town, the simple truth of the matter is that more people will visit those player-run towns.

Will they attack people there? Very likely. Will more people be able to come to the aid of those attacked? Very likely. Will newcomers find it easier to visit those far-away places, and maybe fall in love with those towns, growing our population? Very, very likely.

Can we ban idiots from the gate houses? Certainly.

The only downsides I see to this idea are the scarcity of the teleport stones, and the need for a method to get your stone's "twin" back if it is lost, or you are unable to get it back from the house it is locked down in.
But, for that, we all know how to lay Siege to the devs. :fight:

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we can reach the point where every player-run town has a "gate house" with teleport stones to every other player-run town, the simple truth of the matter is that more people will visit those player-run towns.
I read the original idea to only have one "hub" house located near a moongate. But if this ever happened I would pay for a third account just for a gate house.

:fight: