• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Curious

Would you accept a return of a Penalty for not eating

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Now I'm not wanting this to turn into an all our Flame War or any type of idiotic babble fest. I just want to see how many people would be interested in seeing a penalty put back in for not feeding your character. UO used to have a penalty, many other MMO's still do...Why shouldn't there be one...do our Toons mysteriously eat when we aren't looking?, while logged off? What I'm interested in is possibly seeing a -1 str penalty per UO Day (roughly 15 min. IIRC) for once your character reaches the "Extremely Hungry" phase. Eating would not "fix" this issue but Str would have to be recovered normally back to it's original point...

Benifits....Should cut down on Bank Sitters lagging up Luna/Brit/Where ever they hang out on your shard. Gives Fishers and Cooks a product to sell other than enchanted foods and Egg Bombs.

Negatives...A return to the days of Constantly see sawing stats.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, except for Roleplaying, food has absolutely no purpose, except pet food of course.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The problem with food in game is that you have to find a way for it to be FUN and NOT be a burden to the player.

If I player has to carry a ton of food with them wherever they go or face penalties for not doing so, the game will lose the "Fun" level. However by the same token, food SHOULD have a purpose in the game.

I don't think people will like the "eat or take penalties" idea of food, but I do think they would take the notion of:

- Food helps with skill gain (should maintain a certain level of "fullness" for best results, neither starving nor stuffed)
- Food restores a portion of health, stamina, and/or mana. Not AS useful as heal spells, bandages, and potions but still useful. The balance of course coming from "becoming hungry" while fighting and reaching the "can't eat anymore" aspects of the food system.
- SOME foods should have a negligible effect on fullness, but offer certain benefits for eating them.
- Your "fullness level" should have an effect on your stat regen rates (hp/stam/mana) again with the same balancing act as skills.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as I liked starving to death in nethack, in UO these days it feels like one too many things to keep track of.

Of course, nethack also used exotic foods to toggle on/off minor blessings, which was fun, but that starts to crowd in on the turf of alchemy.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will someone please think of the poor sewer cleaners?

In honesty, UO doesn't need more tedious things to do right now. It would be a good thought, but people will eventually get annoyed at having to go out of their way to eat, even though I know it's more realistic. Realism is not necessarily better though.

D

Doireann

I voted no, because warriors need food already, and it isn't helping cooks. *grins* Eating makes you able to hit things. I know that one fof said it doesn't do anything, but go experiment. No matter how high yhour hci and weapon skill is, you just can't hit a thing if you don't eat.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now I had to vote no..... because really when it was on it way WAY too much ..... but I would like to see more use for food other than just pets.... and I'd like to see more varieties of food.... I do have a GM cook or two. So it would be neat if there were more things I could cook that would be more benificial... and not be something else my character "must" carry... as it stands now being an archer..... I am already overloaded with an array of bows, quivers for arrows/bolts... and bandages to the point that it's pointless to try to loot kills as it would make me overweight...... I can only carry 2k gold before I'm overloaded..... imagine having to carry 40 fish too....

S

Sunrise

aye I do agree that they should do something for cooking. They tried one time what 2 years ago? When you were always hungry so you could use the special food that could be made. But people complained so they dropped it like a hot stone.

I wish there was something to cooking and fishing so forth. But in all honesty I think the devs are just trying to get there heads above water by making it fun for everyone...

A

Azazel of LA

I voted no, because warriors need food already, and it isn't helping cooks. *grins* Eating makes you able to hit things. I know that one fof said it doesn't do anything, but go experiment. No matter how high yhour hci and weapon skill is, you just can't hit a thing if you don't eat.
Agreed , I noticed my mage casts better when full over starving too.

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree:)

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would only support this if eating had some purpose other than negating the penalty. Why don't we gain back some health or mana from eating it does replenish stamina but that is hardly a good enough reason to add a penalty to not eating.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My character hasn't eaten anything in weeks, has barely eaten in years, and hits things just fine. It's in your head. They've looked into the code, it really doesn't do anything. Let it go.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, no.

UO's frustration level is too high at the moment. It needs stability and simplicity for now at least, not more stuff to occupy your mind which will affect your stats if you neglect them..!!

If it was a fun, balanced game working fine like WoW then you could start adding small tid-bits like this. Nobody minds the food bonus in WoW.
But there's no food penalty and it should remain that way- and cooks do fine there.

C

Connor_Graham

My meleer hasn't eaten in years, and he doesn't miss much. Certainly nothing that would be considered out of the norm.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would like it back.

It makes sense , if you heal/move better and hit/success better if you eat well.

However eating to many cakes should make things worse.

Eating before you go hunting should keep you well for maybe an hour.

Not eating or drinking for 5 hours or so should make you slow make you fail more, both hits and crafting.

Being well feeded should give you a bonus of 5% in all stats for an hour.

Not eating for 2 hours should drop your stats 5% from normal stats
Not eating for 3 hours should drop your stats 10% from normal stats
Not eating for 4 hours should drop your stats 15% from normal stats
Not eating for 5 hours should drop your stats 20% from normal stats

Can't drop lower than -20% from not eating

Buf and debuff of stats will be added to the % from feeding/not feeding.

And yes it may help cooks and may add some RP before hunting if all eat together.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am just gonna reply to all who voted for food playing a part in character performance.

UHall posters Bipolar again?
You want more numbers directly affecting your character's performance, and then you go around complaining UO needs less numbers..?!

:next:

This is much like Western Psychology. "We got the pills to fix the symptoms but got no idea how to fix the problem itself."...
:bowdown:

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted Yes.

Food should be used to increase Luck.

Luck is one of those things that doesn't effect other things too much.

The game should keep track of which food items you've eaten. Maybe acquire a taste for certain foods, giving an even bigger bonus. Eat cakes and roasted pigs on holidays for even more Luck for that day.

Taste ID could give some information about the food.

D

Dungeon Explorer

Now I'm not wanting this to turn into an all our Flame War or any type of idiotic babble fest. I just want to see how many people would be interested in seeing a penalty put back in for not feeding your character. UO used to have a penalty, many other MMO's still do...Why shouldn't there be one...do our Toons mysteriously eat when we aren't looking?, while logged off? What I'm interested in is possibly seeing a -1 str penalty per UO Day (roughly 15 min. IIRC) for once your character reaches the "Extremely Hungry" phase. Eating would not "fix" this issue but Str would have to be recovered normally back to it's original point...

Benifits....Should cut down on Bank Sitters lagging up Luna/Brit/Where ever they hang out on your shard. Gives Fishers and Cooks a product to sell other than enchanted foods and Egg Bombs.

Negatives...A return to the days of Constantly see sawing stats.
UO would lose some fun factor if we had penaltys for not eating so no thanks.

G

Gwendar-SP

One problem is that enchanted apples and such fill you up so if you want to use those you need to be hungry. That aside, dispite the claims by EA that eating has no afftect, I still think that eating is still a factor in many things.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Food restores a portion of health, stamina, and/or mana. Not AS useful as heal spells, bandages, and potions but still useful. The balance of course coming from "becoming hungry" while fighting and reaching the "can't eat anymore" aspects of the food system.

- Your "fullness level" should have an effect on your stat regen rates (hp/stam/mana) again with the same balancing act as skills.
those would be burdens. that doesn't sound like fun at all.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

By an affect, I mean give a +1 or +2 max bonus, not LOWER them when you get hungry. I should have made that clear.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The trouble is that food is common enough that it changes the feel of what a character's normal state is and a small bonus for eating starts to feel the same as a small penalty for not eating. A "buff maintanence" playstyle is already a part of magery/chivilry. I don't know though, maybe I'm the rarer type who doesn't enjoy that sort of thing.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its all in your mind... funny how people think food does anything anymore...
(it's been told to us by EA it does nothing) and in many past tests it does nothing...

The only food worth eating that gives any effect is special food, like apples, etc.. that actually have an effect. Other then that eating a fish steak is not going to make you hit more or less, or cast better.

One problem is that enchanted apples and such fill you up so if you want to use those you need to be hungry.
I thought they made them not effect your hunger lvl anymore, that or they are going to soon...... wasn't it in a recent publish?