• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Just Because

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I have had my heart broken more times in the past year than in all my years playing MMO's. I had always tried to keep my distance from folks in game. It was my aim to see those who played UP or Lotro with me more as pixels and less as people. In this way I could maintain a separation between real life, and the vividly imagined. But some where along the way something went wrong.

I found myself connecting with people who I never met. I enjoyed hearing about their children, their lives, hopes and dreams. I watched young folks start playing and grow up. Felt pride when a friend graduated college, and shared in the birth of Pretty Princess Petunia. (Ri' and Michael's second child) I have baked shortbread and freckled rolls and secreted them off to Canada for Alyssia Kanath and family, and I have done what I could to help those who had become dear to me in time of need.

And this year I have faced the loss of not one, but two gaming friends who touched my heart. And I know I will miss these people I have never met other than through their role play, and times spent sitting around telling jokes or playing music.

To lose Tinki earlier this year was hard. But time, and the sharing of this grief with those of my LMB family helped to ease the pain, and allow us to look back with laughter at the style and enormous heart of this man. Through words and songs we pushed through the feelings of loss, and came to that place where you can only see the good days, and remember with fondness a silly hobbit dressed in yellow.

Today, I have been informed of the passing of another of my online family. And I find myself again shocked that someone that I have never met has had such a profound effect on not only my life, but so many within Lonely Mountain Band, and the lotro community at large.

Godwinson was a great guy, with a huge heart and a sense of humor that at times set me on my ears. I remember now fondly the times he and I sat trading jokes back and forth as the Kinship and others around rolled in laughter. I will miss his presence on Monday nights at Ales and Tales, and know that from time to time I will look to see him logged in on the kinship list.

Why do I mention this here? I am not sure.

Perhaps it is just a way to work through the pain felt at another passing.

We call our gaming group a community. And though in the past I tried to see you all as lights flickering across my screen, I have come to know that the people in the games I play matter to me.

Far apart, Never Alone-John Roach-Aedon

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
my heart hurts for your loss. may peace find you and the joy offered by others cover you in the sorrow. gone, but not forgotten gets tossed around like confetti, yet in these times it is more as flower petals on the winds. may the sweet fragrance of friendship surround you in a blanket of peace.
~*~