• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed July’s Fishing Contest!

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
July 2017 Fishing Contest

Fishermen (and women! and gargoyles! and orcs! and savages! and goblins! and anyone I left out!) of Siege! Your time has come!

Every month we will have a contest to see who can catch the largest of a specific type of fish.

Deposit your catch in the mailbox at the House of Commons (EM Hall) north of the Britain Moongate. The fisher-person who deposits the biggest one before the end of July will be forever remembered (or until we run out of space) in the Reward Hall!

The fish of the month this month is the Seeker Fish!

I look forward to foul smells wafting out of my mailbox!

What you need to know:

• How to fish.
  • Where to find specific fish.
  • How to stay alive while fishing.
  • That’s about it.

Continue reading...

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks like you need over gm fishing for this :( Was hoping there would be ONE em event I could partake in but alas.....

Oh well

maybe August.

Last edited:

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
You have a good point there.

So, in addition to the "Fish of the Month", we will have an annual "Big Fish" contest.
The current title-holder will be put on display at the EM Hall (obviously, there isn't one yet!) and, if and when anyone manages to catch a bigger one, drop it in the mailbox. If you'd like your Big Fish back when someone beats your record, please accompany your fish with a book describing where I can return it to.

As the Big Fish start rolling (flopping?) in, I will display the biggest to date, so you have an idea what weight you need to beat. The fish MUST have been caught in the month in which you drop it into my mailbox. No old, stinky fish, please!

At approximately this time next year, the year's winning fisherman will receive their Big Fish back - hopefully mounted, if UO will let me mount a year-old fish.
So that will run in parallel to the monthly rare/legendary fish competition.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Couple points:

Ii holds the big fish record on Siege IIRC from his catch this past winter. It was the maximum size possible, so best anyone can do would be to tie that. (All results were posted on Stratics, so maybe someone who isn't in the bathroom at work on their phone can verify for me)

Second, it is fairly common knowledge that the new EM is from GIL (hi there my fellow Deep South native!) but EM hosting a fishing tourney in the month a 120 fishing scroll gets listed in GIL auction? Cmon man, don't make it so easy to criticize this whole issue again. I have come to accept that the EM thing isn't going to change and I've made a small attempt to participate in events, but dude, this a bit too blatant.

*drops match on gas soaked logs*

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Was hoping there would be ONE em event I could partake in
The rest of the events this month do not need any specialized skill. Specially the T-Map one! Both of the t-map events so far had a lot of left over gear that no one claimed. I unravel what is left behind, but others are more than welcome to take it to use, sell, or to make trips to a soulforge.

Most of them involve some form of PvM that requires the use of at least some gear for most players, do not have a special EM rare drop to make the risk of losing that gear worth it to many, and are all open to a possible PK raid. I think that combination of facts has always kept event attendance down.

But in reality... these events rarely require anything more than the most basic of gear, are often designed to offer some sort of reward that the game mechanic itself provides without EM conjuring, and PKs seldom bother to spend their time in raiding a non-drop EM event. And even if they do... there is really not a lot to lose, and a lot of fun to gain if they don't.

I know the timing isn't ideal for you, but IMO the EM events are worth a bit of lost sleep once in a while :)

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The rest of the events this month do not need any specialized skill. Specially the T-Map one! Both of the t-map events so far had a lot of left over gear that no one claimed. I unravel what is left behind, but others are more than welcome to take it to use, sell, or to make trips to a soulforge.

Most of them involve some form of PvM that requires the use of at least some gear for most players, do not have a special EM rare drop to make the risk of losing that gear worth it to many, and are all open to a possible PK raid. I think that combination of facts has always kept event attendance down.

But in reality... these events rarely require anything more than the most basic of gear, are often designed to offer some sort of reward that the game mechanic itself provides without EM conjuring, and PKs seldom bother to spend their time in raiding a non-drop EM event. And even if they do... there is really not a lot to lose, and a lot of fun to gain if they don't.

I know the timing isn't ideal for you, but IMO the EM events are worth a bit of lost sleep once in a while :)
Darn right they need speicalised skill, it is called 'Getting up at Sparrow's Fart' skill, and not one I am blessed with lol. Sadly my mornings are pretty much tied up til about 10am with walks, animals etc, so all events are well over by then. This and the fact I am too old to be getting out of bed just for a computer game. 10 yrs ago maybe, now, well I need my beauty sleep :p

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have a good point there.

So, in addition to the "Fish of the Month", we will have an annual "Big Fish" contest.
The current title-holder will be put on display at the EM Hall (obviously, there isn't one yet!) and, if and when anyone manages to catch a bigger one, drop it in the mailbox. If you'd like your Big Fish back when someone beats your record, please accompany your fish with a book describing where I can return it to.

As the Big Fish start rolling (flopping?) in, I will display the biggest to date, so you have an idea what weight you need to beat. The fish MUST have been caught in the month in which you drop it into my mailbox. No old, stinky fish, please!

At approximately this time next year, the year's winning fisherman will receive their Big Fish back - hopefully mounted, if UO will let me mount a year-old fish.
So that will run in parallel to the monthly rare/legendary fish competition.
Nice idea but how about rather than a yearly 'big fish' we get the monthly big fish (any species) mounted and returned? As well as the rare/legendary fish of the month as listed.

Make it something to aim at for those fisher people not going over gm which is a lot of us who don't have 120 scrolls. Perhaps record the monthly weight/species and winner so that at the 'end' of the year the "largest fish of the yr for 2017' etc can be recorded and displayed as an annual thing.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Couple points:

Ii holds the big fish record on Siege IIRC from his catch this past winter. It was the maximum size possible, so best anyone can do would be to tie that. (All results were posted on Stratics, so maybe someone who isn't in the bathroom at work on their phone can verify for me)

Second, it is fairly common knowledge that the new EM is from GIL (hi there my fellow Deep South native!) but EM hosting a fishing tourney in the month a 120 fishing scroll gets listed in GIL auction? Cmon man, don't make it so easy to criticize this whole issue again. I have come to accept that the EM thing isn't going to change and I've made a small attempt to participate in events, but dude, this a bit too blatant.

*drops match on gas soaked logs*
I still wanna know where Razz went off to. And may the best scr....errrr...fishers win.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
And may the best scr....errrr...fishers win.
This particular fish can only be found in a rather inconvenient place. While scripting it isn't impossible, it'd be a challenge. And you are welcome to make it more challenging! ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This particular fish can only be found in a rather inconvenient place. While scripting it isn't impossible, it'd be a challenge. And you are welcome to make it more challenging! ;)
Please delete that s word you typed, you're gonna get my reply deleted and a warning on me. You can send me a private msg though, and i'll explain my thoughts ;)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If my fish wins, I would like for it to not be mounted if possible. I would rather ensorcell the fish in magics and alchemy to keep it alive in suspended animation while it's on display, and then set it free in my lil pond at my house later on.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Please delete that s word you typed, you're gonna get my reply deleted and a warning on me.
I offer a public apology first just in case lol. I'm not sure, tho, why it would be marked against you. I've seen the word used many times without any offense taken by the powers that be on this forum, and I am absolutely certain that this particular skill (like so many) is so incredibly dull and mind numbing that it is often done with... assistance.

But in this particular case, it'd be hard to do. And since it is Siege, players making it even harder is just the done thing.

In any case, I shall let this comment be the end of that discussion :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I offer a public apology first just in case lol. I'm not sure, tho, why it would be marked against you. I've seen the word used many times without any offense taken by the powers that be on this forum, and I am absolutely certain that this particular skill (like so many) is so incredibly dull and mind numbing that it is often done with... assistance.

But in this particular case, it'd be hard to do. And since it is Siege, players making it even harder is just the done thing.

In any case, I shall let this comment be the end of that discussion :)
Because someone would send a mod a pm saying Garth is being mean to me and called me a shwarmamain, even though I didn't, and I would get another warning or worse.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I saw him popping his head in last night. He said he will be back, a lot of studying to do.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well, the scroll at the auction sure spices things up. Myself I'm in progress of getting one the more common way. I think I'll be able to sell them good xD when it'll become a common reward for me.

ii ii

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
ii Jan. 29, 2017.jpg

Just wondering if my old fish counts? It is mounted now and is locked down above my castle entrance.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The fish MUST have been caught in the month in which you drop it into my mailbox. No old, stinky fish, please!
I think the only eligible fish are ones caught after the competition started. I am not certain if the running competition of the big fish is monthly as well, tho. The way I read it, it's any month from here on out until 1 year is up (or, possibly, until some one fishes up the max weight possible.)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Alas, the Seeker Fish proved too illusive for me!

Is the other part of the contest only for 'Big Fish' or does it also include other fish besides the specific one for the month? I did catch several Bull Fish in my quest for the Seeker Fish that were much larger than the puny Big Fish I snagged.

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Congratulations to Ray! Your seeker fish is this month's winner! A trophy commemorating your achievement is now in the EM Hall, and when it starts to smell too bad, it will be relocated to the reward hall, downwind!

The first winner of the Big Fish prize was Sir Charles, with a fish weighing 193 stones!

It seems I must clarify the "Big Fish" award. This will go to the person who catches the biggest fish that is called "A Big Fish". Some skilled fishermen and women did deposit various other types of fish in my mailbox, some of which were bigger than Sir Charles's fish - but they were not "A Big Fish", and are therefore ineligible.

The fish to beat for the moment, is the one Sir Charles caught. If and when someone does manage to catch the biggest available fish, that fish will be mounted and displayed at the hall, and the target weight will reset to zero.

I trust all is clear? No? I didn't expect it to be, but I'll keep trying.

Details of August's competition will appear soon - I am running slightly behind this month, due to minions running rampant all over my desk.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congratulations to Ray! Your seeker fish is this month's winner! A trophy commemorating your achievement is now in the EM Hall, and when it starts to smell too bad, it will be relocated to the reward hall, downwind!

The first winner of the Big Fish prize was Sir Charles, with a fish weighing 193 stones!

It seems I must clarify the "Big Fish" award. This will go to the person who catches the biggest fish that is called "A Big Fish". Some skilled fishermen and women did deposit various other types of fish in my mailbox, some of which were bigger than Sir Charles's fish - but they were not "A Big Fish", and are therefore ineligible.

The fish to beat for the moment, is the one Sir Charles caught. If and when someone does manage to catch the biggest available fish, that fish will be mounted and displayed at the hall, and the target weight will reset to zero.

I trust all is clear? No? I didn't expect it to be, but I'll keep trying.

Details of August's competition will appear soon - I am running slightly behind this month, due to minions running rampant all over my desk.
Perhaps a contest in August on the first person to identify who in the hell Ray and Sir Charles are ?