• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jeremy-regarding the question you asked Siege Perilous?

• Thread starter archite666
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
A

Azural Kane

You don't have to open a second account now. You just stone your skills, delete your character, make a garg, then transfer your skills back.

There is no need for a second slot and I am against it.

Having only one character builds community. You need other people to gate you, or rez your pet, or fix your armor. Community is the best thing Siege has going for it. Don't mess that up.
If an additional char slot were added, it wouldn't automatically break down this image you have of community.

First of all, most people on this shard ALREADY pay for 2, 3, 4, or more accounts. MONTHLY.

Really the idea that it's anything but a money grab to UO's last holdout population is absurd. Community comes with having more than 40 people playing at a time on a shard, not worrying about whether someone has 2 PVP chars or a PVP char and a Crafter, or what have you.

Edit: Just amazed at this whole concept. Seriously. You people have 50 players, tops, playing on Siege at any given time. That's it. That's also stretching it. And yet still people want to try to invent reasons to keep new blood off the server. Most people on other shards DO view Siege's character slot situation as exactly that, another money grab by EA...

M

MoonglowMerchant

If an additional char slot were added, it wouldn't automatically break down this image you have of community.

First of all, most people on this shard ALREADY pay for 2, 3, 4, or more accounts. MONTHLY.

Really the idea that it's anything but a money grab to UO's last holdout population is absurd. Community comes with having more than 40 people playing at a time on a shard, not worrying about whether someone has 2 PVP chars or a PVP char and a Crafter, or what have you.

Edit: Just amazed at this whole concept. Seriously. You people have 50 players, tops, playing on Siege at any given time. That's it. That's also stretching it. And yet still people want to try to invent reasons to keep new blood off the server. Most people on other shards DO view Siege's character slot situation as exactly that, another money grab by EA...
I don't think anyone would start a new character on Siege if a second slot was offered.

Fix ROT, fix housing, that would bring new people.

If you add a second slot, you aren't just giving people who have one character a second character. You are giving people who have three accounts six characters, people who have four accounts get eight characters.

In other words, you will create a lot of self sufficient people. That is a really, really, really, bad idea.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your assumption is in error. There are many people on mainstream shards who are not self sufficient. Why? for the reason Krystal gave
i got crafting skills on my tamer, but still buy the stuff i need instead of making it lol...
Some people, most notably dedicated pvpers, have no patience for the quieter skill of crafting. Just as I have no intention of creating a pvp character. I have no aptitude for it.

If we get another slot I will use it to create a third crafter character because the new skills being introduced make it impossible to craft a full range of goods for my vendors without juggling skills on soulstones.

My characters, for me, have an identity. Changing their templates from one day to the next is something I feel very uncomfortable with. I couldn't be a typist one day and a truck driver the next in RL, it doesn't feel right, to me, that my characters in game should do so either. It remains to be seen, when we have a better idea of the pros and cons, whether this third crafter would be elf, human or gargoyle.

Not everyone would choose to make other characters. Some would simply load up their current alternate template from soulstones and have 2 full time templates instead of one constantly changing one. Probably giving a sigh of relief that they don't have to worry so often about accidentally flushing a skill :D

A

Alrich

You don't have to open a second account now. You just stone your skills, delete your character, make a garg, then transfer your skills back.

There is no need for a second slot and I am against it.

Having only one character builds community. You need other people to gate you, or rez your pet, or fix your armor. Community is the best thing Siege has going for it. Don't mess that up.
Yeah, only you need minimum 7 stones to do this! Not everyone here has that many soulstones.

Far as the only 1 character building community yes I agree. But almost 75% of siege players HAVE multiple accounts, which means they ALREADY HAVE.... ding ding, Multiple characters!

So add a second slot, what changes? Oh yeah, now the people who live on a strict budget or fixed income can afford to play more then one character.

Some people have had and always will have multiple characters on siege. Let those that don't want to pay $30+ a month do the same! sheesh.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Let me save you the trouble.

I don't care if having a second character would make Siege easier for you.

In fact, I don't want Siege to be easier for you. If there are more crafting skills than you can fit on one character, too darn bad.

You can't afford a second account? I'm sorry but too frigging bad.

You don't have seven soulstones? I'm sorry but that is just your bad luck.

SIEGE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT. YOU WANT MULTIPLE CHARACTERS GO PLAY ON ATLANTIC.

A

Alrich

Let me save you the trouble.

I don't care if having a second character would make Siege easier for you.

In fact, I don't want Siege to be easier for you. If there are more crafting skills than you can fit on one character, too darn bad.

You can't afford a second account? I'm sorry but too frigging bad.

You don't have seven soulstones? I'm sorry but that is just your bad luck.

SIEGE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY. YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT. YOU WANT MULTIPLE CHARACTERS GO PLAY ON ATLANTIC.
Its not a question of it being easier but being more cost efficient.

I don't want it easier. And two chars cannot be used like two accounts. Died and want to switch characters? Still need a second account or you'll be waiting time to go out of combat to switch chars. This does not make it easier.

All it does is allow you the option of having two characters without PAYING twice as much. But
no 2nd house
no autoswitch to diff char
no two-boxing as many do

My prior post of keeping same name would stop the "multiple identity" that people cry about (though #1 we already have this with multiple account and #2 people figure it out anyway)

All that aside, I understand your POV MM, and that is your opinion, which you are entitled to have and I am not trying to take that from you.

But I also have one and my opinion is this:

YES to a 2nd char slot
NO to any more then that

/rant

Idahoan

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am adamantly against adding another character slot on Siege.

WHY?

Look at it this way from EA’s standpoint. Here we have Siege Perilous that has players who require multiple accounts to have crafters, mages, tamers etc. If you reduce the number of accounts to have your various characters, you thus reduce the amount of revenue that EA generates from Siege Perilous. This makes Siege less profitable from their stand point & “COULD” be reason to reduce upgrades, enhancements or even the existence of the Siege Perilous shard. Look how long it took to get ROT back on the table. I am willing to pay for several accounts to have Siege as it is. There is no other shard that compares. Siege is worth the extra investment in accounts.

Bottom line to EA and us stock holders is revenue. If it's NOT generating a good ROI, you get rid of it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

WHY?

Look at it this way from EA’s standpoint. Here we have Siege Perilous that has players who require multiple accounts to have crafters, mages, tamers etc. If you reduce the number of accounts to have your various characters, you thus reduce the amount of revenue that EA generates from Siege Perilous. This makes Siege less profitable from their stand point & “COULD” be reason to reduce upgrades, enhancements or even the existence of the Siege Perilous shard. Look how long it took to get ROT back on the table. I am willing to pay for several accounts to have Siege as it is. There is no other shard that compares. Siege is worth the extra investment in accounts.

Bottom line to EA and us stock holders is revenue. If it's NOT generating a good ROI, you get rid of it.
I doubt you will see many close down accounts. Soulstones did not make me close down accounts, I tryed but my accounts don't want to sleep.

Sure you get 2x the chars but you will just make 2 crafters instead of one or 2 PvM'er or PvP'er instead of one.

Or maybe you can't give up a house and all in it.

A

Azural Kane

WHY?

Of course you don't want people having multiple chars... all the more reason for people to buy soulstones, name change tokens, gender change tokens, and all the gold needed to keep modifying one particular character.....

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I said in the other thread posting, I want only one character per account on Siege Perilous.

If Siege Perilous remains unchanged, there is a bright possibility that when the Gargoyle
race appears, some players who have had longtime accounts may come to SP to create
and test their Gargoyle characters against the PvPers here! This may happen even if they
never had a character here before.
Really folks, all we need is one or two percent of other old shard players to do this.
Maybe, they will think that having the Gargoyle character on SP would give them uniqueness
and advantage over longtime playing SP pvpers and thus stay!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

S

sbom

Most importantly a big part of the siege populas are those people who play this game for the unique ability to be a shop keeper of sorts and thus dont fight or pvp, they live to make money from their business and if we all had crafters these important people would lose their niche
Here is my input as response to this:
Those who play a crafter will be very happy to get a second char, because of the vast changes added to the game in regard to crafting with SA expansion: hints from Jeremy and Leurocian seem to indicate that a pure crafter will likely not be the best way to go with the new crafting-related skills. Crafters that can fight will likely be a new needed "type"...pure crafters will be very happy to keep their current all-around crafter and at the same time to get a second crafter that would be more of a fighter...hint for fighters: new players out there in the wild instead of staying hidden in their house...

Players who currently don't play a crafter: do you really think they will "sacrify" the opportunity to finally have 2 warrior types by turning one into a crafter? Especially given the completely different style of play that will be involved playing a gargoyle (just a guess...). Most fighters use soulstones to "change their character". Well, with a second char, they will be able to play both "styles" they want to try, within the same day.

My conclusion: playing a crafter is very time-consuming, whereas it is with the current system or post-SA. Those who like to fight monsters and other players don't have time and don't want to do crafting, even if it means saving a bit of gold by not buying from other players anymore. Those who do craft do it because they actually like it. Very few have a crafter only because they need one to provide supplies for their other chars, not on Siege at least.

I think having a second char on Siege will help both crafters and non-crafters, and even those who like to do a bit of both.

S

sbom

I see players with several accounts tells they are against a second char, it does not make sense to me.
I suspect SOME (and not all of course) of those who are against a second character say they are against it because they actually are paying for multiple accounts currently, in order to have the diversity they need.
Now, if you allow for 2 chars per account, others will get for free what they have been paying for, and that may feel bitter...

Now, you're going to say: why don't they close some of their accounts and consolidate?
Well, we know the answer: houses!!

Were they able to go back in time and get a second char per account, they would do it, and get used to live without the extra house. Once you have the extra house and all associated storage space, it's not possible to get rid of it...

S

sbom

Here is my take on the "Will the second char option bring more people to Siege?" question:

I think adding a second char will bring more people to Siege, as many are reluctant to come to Siege because of the 1-character limitation.

Others don't come because or ROT (that's changing a bit).

Others don't come because of the Fel-only environment: that's not going to change and it's good.

Others don't come to Siege because they could not have a house without dropping the one(s) they own on other shards: that's not changing.

Adding a second char is not going to get anybody away from Siege, and it has the potential to bring new players.

S

sbom

Just for siege, it would be neat if second char shared same name/faction (if applicable) as the original character though. (dunno how hard that would be to code)
Why that? lets say I have my red and want to make a treasure hunter or a blue PvM player, why should that char be forced to share name with Freja? She would have a total different playstyle and a different UO life.

Or maybe I wanted a Factions char (I doubt it), why should she be forced to share name with Freja or even worse with Tina Tink?
I am NOT saying that would be a good idea, but maybe you could get that info. in the profile: your second character on the same account would say something like "Sister of Freja" (?). That way, you could trace the account ownership in a "RP way" and keep the name independence of your characters.
You can argue that you don't want people to know that your second character who is a miner, is the same rl person as you bad-ass PKer, but I think that'd be fine in the spirit of Siege: if you're a bad-ass PKer at night, it's fair that your're in "danger" when running your day job on your second char!

S

sbom

You can't gate a character from you account using another character on the same account.
You can't rez a character from you account using another character on the same account.

Regarding the "armor fixing", see my other post a few above.

M

MoonglowMerchant

You can't gate a character from you account using another character on the same account.
You can't rez a character from you account using another character on the same account.

Regarding the "armor fixing", see my other post a few above.

You can gate a character with the same account. You log in with character 1, cast gate, log in with character 2, walk thru the gate.

You can't rez your own characters, but then I didn't say you could.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Here is my take on the "Will the second char option bring more people to Siege?" question:

I think adding a second char will bring more people to Siege, as many are reluctant to come to Siege because of the 1-character limitation.

Others don't come because or ROT (that's changing a bit).

Others don't come because of the Fel-only environment: that's not going to change and it's good.

Others don't come to Siege because they could not have a house without dropping the one(s) they own on other shards: that's not changing.

Adding a second char is not going to get anybody away from Siege, and it has the potential to bring new players.

Why don't you start a thread or poll asking how many people would start a new character on Siege if they could have a second slot?

Make sure they understand that ROT will take forever and that they can't have a house. Oh, and that there is no insurance.

The response will be underwhelming.

I'm not willing to ruin one of the things that makes Siege so that you can have an extra character slot. Sorry, but no.

No, no, no, no.