• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jeremy or Robert, please -UO Wedding, UO Rudder, UOBod et al - Clarification of Legality??

• Thread starter Digger McTaggart
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

why not just use uo curse tool? That is on the approved list and allows the same thing?

Alternatively, type up your speech in notepad and cut/paste it into uo one line at a time as required.

I

imported_thenow

What I find amusing with this thread and the original thread started in oceania forums is that it was started to justify the person's own usage of certain programs. He thinks that if he can point out how others use 3rd party programs that he is not a lame cheater when it comes to pvp, but alas ,he can fool himself but it does not negate the truth of cowardness and weakness when these are used in pvp.
But then again you can't tell him or his guild members, or they won't listen to anything other than their 'leet' mentality.

PS-I'm still waiting for EA for to do something about this but that is another thread.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Any app that is not on the list I linked is NOT OK TO USE. I do not see UO Wedding on that list, therefore it is NOT OK TO USE. I'm not going to go through and list every app that's not on that list, because that would be silly. For convenience, here is the list of APPROVED apps:

[/ QUOTE ]

You see the EA stance changes constantly, when Wilki was a developer he stated that it was perfectially legal to use as "all programs listed on stratics were in the spirit of UO" To bad stratics have any post over 6 month archived, maybe the webmaster or even a moderator of stratics can find it and bring it to this thread as it shows 100% that something can be legal with one developer team then all of a sudden it becomes not legal in teh blink of an eye. We all asked that that in teh spirit of UO be put on teh official page and it got put on teh back burner and obvious by your reply forgotten by many but not all.

Good day, I Said Good day, I for one am simply tired of one day something being perfectally fine and the next it is all of a sudden not.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sounds like someone doesn't like the answer.

It was stated that those programs are not legal.

Get over it; quit using illegal programs.

UO doesn't need a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Many people never even used UOAssist and they still did fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own statement, and with Stratics being an official site and by jeremys posting here is sending the very very wrong message, What all this is saying is that Stratics has illegal 3rd party programs and since the developers and couminnity representive post on a site that hosts illegal 3rd party applications then useign them is fine

So Jeremy since you post here on EA's behalf and you are makeing the stance that the 3rd party aplications here are illegal to use, MY INTREPERTATION of your posting says sure use 3rd party appliciations they are ok to use, we (EA) support Stratics who host illegal programs, so use 3rd party appliciations as our posting on this forum and useing the stratics forums as the "unofficial offical forums" then useing all 3rd party apps is accecptable. Please reply to me as I currently useing rudder and wedding, as per Wilki as a developer stated all applications on stratics were indeed legal to use in UO. I will pm you my acct names so you can watch and ban them.

G

<font color=red>Removes shield and puts it in the dresser. The following are brought to you by a **customer** of EA, a **player** of UO and a **poster** on these boards.

These remarks are mine alone and I had to literally sleep on them before posting.</font color=red>

Why are you all so concerned about these things? You all profess to be concerned about scripters and dupers and the lot, but EA has shown darn little EFFECTIVE curbing of them.

By curbing, I mean that when a suspect is reported a GM does NOT appear to attempt contact. In fact all you (collectively) do is gripe about the LACK of GM presence.

Now, as to legality. Jeremy is right if one speaks to the literal wording. However, if anyone here would kindly take an objective look at the items mentioned one would find that in the main, they REALLY do nothing more than the client macro system can, or UOA.

UO Magic Tool
Haven't used it in a while but from what I recall ... Tracks total reagents that you have on you - same as UO Assist. Tells you how many of each reg you need for a spell - same as the spellbook in the Mages hands. Tells you the success % of casting certain circle spells based on mana and magery skill. Gee, sounds like a certain javascript calculator somewhere!

UO Rudder
Allows one keypress for giving direction to the tillerman - same as the builtin macros in (at least) the 2D client. Funny thing, UO Assist can record macros and one can use it like this as well.

InsideUO
This has been around so long it has a white beard! It allows someone to peek at new graphics or text strings when the client is patched ... before the actual activation of the things.

UO Bulk Order Deeds
Ingame, open a BOD book, set the filter and then manually enter the information into this application. Or with UOA as well ... drop some BODs into your pack, use UOA vendor agent to get the list, copy to clipboard and open UO BOD to paste the list into the app. Now back to UO and put all those bods back in the book ... rinse/repeat.
===
Now, of these examples, there is only ONE that actually does anything within the client. UORudder because it sends a speech command - just like the alternatives noted with it! Whoopdy-doo. UO is ruined!!!

The majority of everything that was listed further in this thread (I can't locate it this morning) READS data from UO and works with it in a semi- or totally offline venue! What in the name of Lord British is wrong with that?

Jeremy? UoPro is a laugh ... check it ...<blockquote>These products were created, and are marketed and distributed by individual authors under license from Electronic Arts, Inc. <u>Electronic Arts HAS NOT TESTED THESE PRODUCTS IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER AND DOES NOT KNOW WHETHER THEY WORK IN ANY OR ALL REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS OR THAT THEY WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE IN SOME REASONABLY FORESEEABLE SITUATIONS.</u> The individual author solely warrants that these products will work as intended to your reasonable expectations, and does not infringe anyone's intellectual property rights.

<u>Electronic Arts has not checked the source code for any of these programs. Electronic Arts will not be held responsible for anything that should happen to your account or computer as a result of using these programs.</u> Electronic Arts does not support these programs. If you have problems with them, please contact the author of the program directly. Use at your own risk.</blockquote>EA has not tested them? Then how the heck were they ever "approved"? No one thought to check source code at least once to insure good handling of errors (at least)?

What kind of "approval" process is that? If someone on my work site writes even Excel macros that they want to allow others to use, we in IT check the darn thing out!

EA has not applied standards to "approved" items, yet disallows other applications that have not gone through the same non-process? Double-standard IMO.

Jeremy, I ask you please to reconsider within the spirit of the game and intent. At least allow the programmers who have contributed so much to continue seeing their work used for the betterment of the game.

The rest of ya? Get back to the game and quit worrying about what your neighbor is using, doing or has in their house. Cripes, haven't you got ANYTHING better to do? I'm off to irritate the Department Management!

Toodles!

G

RTLFC

I get the point of programms beeing illigal...
I hate to have to confess i used UO wedding before , i just assumed it was legal since it was hosted by stratics.

So its all fine and dandy i know better now , wont do it again.

Now where i am wondering thou is the sense behind the whole thing, and listen me out before you all start to yell hehe.

I just started a character on a new shard.
Brand new char no skills...
My account has UO assist...
I set up a UOassist macro to gain skill link it to my F12 key and while i wasnt doing much i macroed my skill.
Worked great and after a day i figued hell this works great why not add a skill to your macro?
Rerecorded the whole thing, now with 3 skills, added pauses and converted to use Item/type.
4 days later i am 2x GM and 1x elder and allmost 2 more GM.

Now i am no Macro wizz , i am horrible about figuring out the pauses and the whole thing could probably be done alot better, but i figure in about 5 more days depending i have time on the weekend this char should be done.

If i imagine what someone that knows the macros or uses illigal 3rd party programs can do unattended ...i figure maybe 3 days till char is finished?
Add a 14 days or 4 week trial account to that and the rest of the time he spends farming then i kind of fail too see how UO assist is legal and UO wedding is not....

but again thats just my 2 cents

G

Hmmmm. Reading the "official" responses, for some reason, this came to mind:

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?" - Joshua (AI personality in <u>Wargames</u>)

I have UORudder on my computer. I guess I can no longer make the claim that I have never used an "illegal third party tool" with UO.

-Skylark

I

imported_Lord Kynd

lol i was right about stratic's hosting illegal stuff all these years.

see how dirty the 'police' are ?
lol

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

why not just use uo curse tool? That is on the approved list and allows the same thing?

Alternatively, type up your speech in notepad and cut/paste it into uo one line at a time as required.

[/ QUOTE ]

but that still alters the stream by sending data to other peoples client's ... ever hear of lag ?
essentially your cut and paste is illegal once you hit enter.

we should start policing the use of these programs as they ruin the gameplay as much as any other program does.

A

AdamD

Well, when wilki was community rep, he said

<blockquote><hr>

All of the UO Pro Programs are fine. Same goes for programs like UO Rudder, etc, that aren't really considered cheat programs. We're targeting programs that let you script, speedhack, etc.

Also, remember that we are having a beta testing period where any strange issues with the popular programs being mentioned will be corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]

And on UOforums, he posted

<blockquote><hr>

I was involved in gathering the information on cheat proggies we want to disallow with PB,
and I can assure you that only actual cheat programs are on the list.

Specifically, all of the tools like UO Rudder, UO Weddings, etc are perfectly fine to use with UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, one minute they're ok, mythic takes over, now they're illegal. Hrm.

Joshua Rowan also posted this in the past

<blockquote><hr>

Policy on discussion of Unapproved Third Party Programs, quoted from Joshua Rowan:

During all this discussion about 3rd Party Programs/Scripting, etc, I wanted to talk with all of you about UO Stratics' specific stance on all of this.

Many years ago there was a program created by OSI/Electronic Arts called "UO Pro" (you can read more about it on the UO.com Website UO Pro Section. Unfortunately, that program was discontinued, but the idea of it - the concept of creating programs that can help players with basic functions without actually affecting gameplay or allow a player to have an advantage over others - has lived on for years since.

The UO Pro program has been closed a long time ago, and many tools that are written in the spirit of UO Pro have no chance of ever being accepted into
the program. All the tools that UO Stratics hosts on our site (located in our Tools &amp; Downloads Menu are created in the spirit of UO Pro and will not give you an unfair advantage over others that do not use such tools. These include several of the other programs on our site that ARE UO Pro approved, written by our very own Xena (UO Magic Tool, UO Curse Tool, UO Journal Converter, etc), as well as others that we have tested extensively and checked to make sure that they follow the guidelines that the UO Pro program originally set up.

On the other hand, the programs that are deemed illegal by Electronic Arts are the ones that DO give you an unfair advantage. An example would be a tool that automates your every move and does not ever require you to be at the keyboard at all while it runs the game continuously for hours on end by circumventing the safeguards set up in the UO's files. Programs like this circumvent how Electronic Arts intends for UO to be played and as a result is not tolerated by them, or by us.

Back to the files we support - We have been hosting our tools for many years now, and we've never heard of a player actually being banned for using any of them. There's a big difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, and we feel that we definitely follow the "spirit" of what Electronic Arts intends for third party programs for UO to do.

With that said, the programs considered illegal by EA have no place to be promoted or even discussed in our our forums or in our news. You may disagree with our stance on this, but it is a philosophy that we have no intention of altering anytime soon. If EA considers the program illegal, then so do we. And in some cases the Stratics Network may even be more strict about this issue than EA itself is (remember that we support many other games and companies that have different guidelines). As a result, if a Moderator asks you to stop discussing an issue like this, then it is your responsibility to listen to them and abide by the rules of our site.

Regards,

~Joshua Rowan
UO Managing Editor

[/ QUOTE ]

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I don't see any possibility of exception in that statement - "Again, if it is not in the approved list of UO Pro programs, then it is not ok to use with UO." That's pretty blunt. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with Jeremy on this one. Its very clear.

The key point in the anwer on the KB is probably this:

"These products were created, and are marketed and distributed by individual authors under license from Electronic Arts, Inc. "

Note the "under license". Thats it , end of story. All else are not approved.

Pretty Simple realy --

Approved List
----------------

* UOAssist: Website - Details
* UO Auto-Map: Website - Details
* UO Calculator: Website - Details
* UO Curse Tool: Website - Details
* UO Journal Converter: Website - Details
* UO Magic Tool: Website - Details
* UO Spawn Map: Website - Details

Illegal
-------

Everything else that says they do something 'with / for / or to the UO Client or game'

Very clear. Very.

G

Sorry I just find it hilarious that Stratics has links to download these programs and EA is saying they arent legal.

Did EA suddenly forget that Stratics is the "Official" UO forums?

LOL

ahhh so glad I finally gave away my last house in UO and clicked that cancel button.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Did EA suddenly forget that Stratics is the "Official" UO forums?

[/ QUOTE ]No.
You, and others, are under the false belief that Stratics is the "Official" UO forums.
It's not.

G

Really? When did that change?
When we were posting on the myuo forums and they closed them down, they said that Stratics was now their Official UO forums.

A

AdamD

They were, till Mythic took over and the fansite program was cancelled.

G

I have no idea whether or not their "in the spirit of" the UO Pro program - I've never used them. (I'm hopelessly old-fashioned and have never even used UOAssist.) That wasn't the question. The question was, were they within the letter of the law. The answer to that is no.

G

<blockquote><hr>

They were, till Mythic took over and the fansite program was cancelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

very interesting.

I

imported_Castor

i would dare say if you still play this game, to use whatever programs or 3rd party addons you want as EA/UO has a seriously piss poor record of cracking down on anybody using cheats/exploits/dupes etc.

You will never get caught period.

I

imported_ParadoxUO

ahh now i know why there was a broker selling uo millions for real $ on the stratics atlantic forum and his message never got deleted...

i also get the message i got from the game developers saying...
"it is their boards, their rules..."

crystal clear now...

thank you!

(a special thanks to the folk that sent me over 80 reports during the last 2 weeks... uo info overflow... but fun!)

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Sounds like someone doesn't like the answer.

It was stated that those programs are not legal.

Get over it; quit using illegal programs.

UO doesn't need a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Many people never even used UOAssist and they still did fine.

KR is a new client and not a third party program, so not sure where you are going with this.

Believe it or not, but there is people actually playing this game without everything being automated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth.

If you want to have pre-written stuff in UO, just make a macro, hit that say button then type in what you want. Theirs no need for those 3rd party programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

All very true was my thoughts also. There was never any need for this post because the EXACT list of programs that are legal is on the page and stands and if you don't like the fact that new programs can't be added to the list to bad that is up to EA to decide.

10 years that I have played and for ten years that list of apps has stood strong. That is life.

I

imported_Joshua Rowan

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] Heh, well that certainly just saved me a TON of time in writing up a new post. Glad you saved it ;-)

~Joshua

G

I have brought this thread to the attention of both Joshua Rowan and ZigZag.

We are looking into the matter ascircumstances have changed with regards to some of the programs, or so it seems.

I would like to point out, however, to all those that are pointing fingers, many of the "calculators" and "Tools" That are not speech programs, etc, do NOT interact with the game. They are seperate from the game and are for your personal use in calculating -whatever- you are calculating with your suits, etc. I mean seriously, you can't use a calculator in game. Many of the calculators and tools run without UO even being on or installed.

But once again, it has been brought to the attention of the Managing Editor and Assistant Editor.

Cheers.

A

AdamD

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] Heh, well that certainly just saved me a TON of time in writing up a new post. Glad you saved it ;-)

~Joshua

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't save it, you guys did :p
It's in your Archives

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

~Joshua

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't save it, you guys did :p
It's in your Archives

[/ QUOTE ]

Archives FTW.

See Joshua made it to the thread before I even had the chance to post. He's good. =P

I

imported_ParadoxUO

now that we know the 3rd party programs here arent legit... what next?

suggestion: let them be... if nothing is done versus the major ones, why would these be a problem?
same with all this discussion... i have been reading and for 6 years the players posted about it... nothing was ever done.

is UO in auto-mode?

G

I wouldn't say "never" get caught, but you nailed it on the head as to what I was trying to get across.

However when things get quiet around here you can depend on grenades like this one to get lobbed!

G

<blockquote><hr>

The question was, were they within the letter of the law. The answer to that is no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heres another question then.....are you happy for Stratics to host links to illegal programs for use with UO?

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrr, [NEWS] Players revolt, new StraticsPro program gets big boost!

I

imported_UOPODCASTING.COM

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

No.
You, and others, are under the false belief that Stratics is the "Official" UO forums.
It's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since EA doesn't host a forum for UO, I think it's a pretty logical assumption that the Stratics forums are as "official" as we're going to get, so no...I don't think it's a "false belief". Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its no more a logical assumption than saying www.uoforums.com are the official forums. The domain looks more official than boards.stratics.com

See, aSSumptions will make an ass out of you.

U

_Uriah Heep_

is UO in auto-mode?
-------------------

To quote Kelmo:

*nods*

I

imported_UOPODCASTING.COM

Thats because GM's will send you anywhere to get you out of their queue and its most likely the forum they are reading at the time

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrrr, "Stratics - we be not the official forum, but the forum preferred by 9/10 GMs (or 2/3, whate'er be a-fittin')"!

G

Stratics is considered the "official" forums because this is where the devs come because this is where the most people have ever been.
Word of mouth is a powerful tool and Stratics is known by most people who play UO as a safe place to come chat about the game. Other fansites may have a faithful following as well but none so much as Stratics. That is why it's considered still to be the "Official forums" even if the "Official" part isn't so much anymore.
Whenever anyone asks about the game in game I tell them about Stratics, even though I am an administrator of www.thelostlands.com.
That doesn't mean I am any less faithful to the forum I work at, it's just that honestly this is the place people know and love and Stratics has never steared anyone the wrong way (to my personal knowledge)
I do hope Stratics continues as the "Official" forums (in most everyone's eyes) until a time comes where perhaps UO could open the MYUO forums again where everyone's account is tied to their posting name. (which would be best case) They've been here the longest and people are familiar with them.

G

Stratics WAS the official UO forum...you can see this at EA's own support website here.

No one imagined or assumed anything, they WERE the official forums, and you were directed to them by EA Support for info. Like much of the info about UO offered by EA, that support article has not been updated with anything like an "obsolete" tag and redirected to more updated info.

Apparently sometime after the EA/Mythic merger, they STOPPED being the official forums. I am not really sure when the date for that was, but it hasn't been much more than a year, if that.

How I learned the change had even taken place was from other players HERE.

I have been posting on Stratics for nearly 4 years. The UO downloads/tools hasn't changed as far as I know in that time. Oh, the irony.

-Skylark

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrrrrr, but it been said now they link to illegal proggies, which were the origin o' this thread!

A

AdamD

January 13th, 2007 I believe

http://www.uo.com/news.html

Sanya's apparent standard policy is to not have a fansite program, because of the potential for drama.
So, when it was cancelled, stratics lost their "official" status
Apparently they weren't even told.

It's a shame that it's a single persons policy and not the corporate one, because Warhammer has both a fansite program and fansite kit
DAOC, which I believe she also covered (when she was working at EA) didn't have a fansite program, but at least they had a fansite graphics kit.
UO has neither.

C

Cellmate

Actually there's a whole lot of EA titles that have official forums, mostly their console games it seems, however it does show that EA has no problem with the "official forum/fansite" status for some games...as you point out, Warhammer being one of them.
We at UO, as so often appears the case sadly, don't get the same treatment either from EA or EA Mythic. I wonder why that is?

Sanya, btw, no longer works for EA Mythic, she's one of the far too many that have breezed through UO on a short term fly-by, say hello, how are we all...I'm so and so and I'm gonna make/build/fix/destroy this for all you good folks...and then they're never seen or heard of again, lol. Walt, Chris?? Where'd ya go?

F

Fayled Dhreams

You will not represent that your Fan Site is endorsed or approved by Licensor, WOL or Games Workshop, or that any content on your Fan Site is endorsed or approved by Licensor, WOL or Games Workshop.

(from the Fansite Kit License agreement)

just saying ... would be hard to assign ... "Official" to any website "agreeing to" ^^that license

"Official KIT" content ... sure

the word: "Official" ain't all that "critical"

Its the "defacto" acceptence of Where a site is better than another ...

Stratics is "better" (afaik) for contacting a dev ...
but ...
ANY site can "get" an interveiw with EAMythic personel ...

Back on the sites to follow through on some initiative.

A

AdamD

Aye and isn't it somewhat ironic that the welcome email you get from EA when you join UO, says to go to their community forums, which is the EA forums, but there's no UO category or area.

C

Cellmate

Well ok, how about Quazi-official, not fully endorsed or licensed, but given tacit acceptance of the status over other less-favoured sites?

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, Jeremys post surprised me somewhat.

There was talk about these programs long ago, when stratics was hosting illgeal stuff accidently - back in the days when Kofu was an admin here. It was deemed legitimate, so it seems very bizarre that EA/OSI have taken a U-Turn and are now saying its illgeal.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Well ok, how about Quazi-official, not fully endorsed or licensed, but given tacit acceptance of the status over other less-favoured sites?

[/ QUOTE ]
nahhh
too hard to spell ... which would soon enough become an "issue"

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

January 13th, 2007 I believe

http://www.uo.com/news.html

Sanya's apparent standard policy is to not have a fansite program, because of the potential for drama.
So, when it was cancelled, stratics lost their "official" status
Apparently they weren't even told.

It's a shame that it's a single persons policy and not the corporate one, because Warhammer has both a fansite program and fansite kit
DAOC, which I believe she also covered (when she was working at EA) didn't have a fansite program, but at least they had a fansite graphics kit.
UO has neither.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Sanya dismantles the UO fansite program then leaves ,with ticked off customers and even less support for UO than when EA had it? What a loser. Yea....mythic....great team there...

Heres hoping DAOC tanks and WHO is a bust....I wont shed a tear when these new stewards of UO are asking if you would like fries with that.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

programs like uo wedding DO indeed give others a advantage over me.
for one it allows them to type faster than me, could be used in contests to win.
also it could be used to cause flooding of text and possiably client crash's

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

Really? When did that change?
When we were posting on the myuo forums and they closed them down, they said that Stratics was now their Official UO forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunatly that IS how it went down , EA forced us to come to stratic's.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The question was, were they within the letter of the law. The answer to that is no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heres another question then.....are you happy for Stratics to host links to illegal programs for use with UO?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutly not

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrrr, and yet - 'twere once said these proggies be in the spirit of UO. Methinks this be not untrue, so what done happen'd to the spirit?!?