• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I've fallen, and I can't get up! (Disconnect death bug?)

Turkeyneck

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Earlier today I was in Wolf Cave and my internet decided to go out. Needless to say, due to this intermission in connectivity my bovine body was ravaged by wolves.

This would normally be not such a big deal; however, upon logging back in, I'm greeted with this:

This happens every time I log in now on this character; the only difference between log-ins appears to be that sometimes you can see the ESC menu for a brief second, and other times I see the Respawn menu for a brief second.

I've tried wildly clicking in the center of the screen where the 'respawn' and 'enter the light' buttons should be to no avail.

I've also tried using hotkeys to open the menus and such. Nothing.

I can target things with the mouse cursor and the TAB key but that's it, and despite being dead I occasionally moo.

I have tried using the web and downloaded client (I play mainly in downloaded) and I have gotten the same result. I re-installed the download client entirely and that did not seem to help at all.

New characters are not met with this problem, though I haven't tried to re-create the issue by pulling the plug on my router in the middle of combat or anything.

If there is another thread that exists in regards to this issue, I apologize for creating a new one. I searched "die", "death", "bug", and "glitch" in various combinations and saw nothing.

EDIT: I also reported this bug through the in-game bug report system thing on another character, if that helps.

Gremror

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Have you tried pressing Enter (to select the chat), and then typing /stuck and pressing Enter again to send it? Even if you can't see the chat whilst doing this, it should work.

If you don't normally have the chat open, then press the button to open it before doing this (I think it's C by default?)

Gremror

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Then the only other thing I can suggest is for Auriel to /smite you, so you definitely die, and they try clicking where the respawn/enter the light buttons are.

Turkeyneck

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's fixed!

Smite did nothing unfortunately, but what we were able to do is have someone craft a Word of Power level 5 that allowed me to resurrect. In that split second where I could access the interface upon logging in I was able to paste the word into the chat box and hit enter and come back to life.

The loading screen did not disappear initially, but when I logged out and logged back in I was able to see again.

Thank you to everyone who was able to help; ShovelArms, Gremror, and Moderator Auriel in particular, as well as anyone who put up with my alt WealthyNigerianPrince spamming the chat for a couple days.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Still not sure what happened here! If this happens again, try bringing up the debug console (Shift+Ctrl+Asterisk on the numpad) to see if it has anything useful to say.

Normally the reason the screen is black like that is because your avatar hasn't finished downloading. It isn't supposed to have anything to do with death, really.

Cowinator

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm in the same boat...internet kicked off while I was in the Kur tower...came back dead.

Get the same loading screen and if I hover around the screen, my icons tell me that I cannot use that hotkey while dead.

Unable to do that debug option and the only thing I can do is use the task manager to end Project:Gorgon.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Cowinator

Cowinator

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Bump on this...haven't been able to play for a day and I've bugged it in game a few times.

I asked characters about words of power 5 for the resurrection word that seemed to fix someone else but no one seems to know it.

Thanks!

Cowinator (currently playing on Maelstrom)

NevrWin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm experiencing this right now. Quite a pain in the dairy-air.

I pressed the screenshot key and got some console output that might be useful but I'm not sure where the screenshots are kept.

I can't seem to get a hold of a GM so I'm not sure what to try next...

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Sorry guys, this is a bug in the cow avatar configuration. It'll be fixed in the next update, which I thought would have already been out, but the rest of the update is taking longer than expected. It'll be a few more days.

NevrWin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to Auriel this cow is back on all fours and will graze the green grass once again!

No worries, Citan! It's been a ton of fun testing P:G, especially this early in development, even if the process can be a bit relentless at times on both the players and the developers. Good to hear about the update. We have all been drooling about it in-game and will continue to do so. =)

For future encounters of the buggy kind, might it be possible for us to get some sort of debug logs auto-saved? What I mean is the output we see in the Ctrl+Shift+Asterisk console could be dumped into a time date stamped log file anytime a player unexpectedly leaves the game. It would be a lot easier then trying to write down the text or taking a screenshot of it as it flies by on the screen (in a populated dungeon). Then, if a player experiences a severe bug they can either paste the log file or send it to you guys to analyze.

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
The file gets saved to your hard drive while you play, but gets wiped the next time you run the game. (To avoid it becoming massive!) It can also be a little hard to find, so I usually just tell people to check the log window. But your point is a good one! You can find the log by starting the launcher and looking at where it says it's saving the game to. Like "(Saving to C:\Users\Eric\etc\etc\etc)". Use Explorer to view that directory (BEFORE pressing the Start Game button in the launcher, because the game will erase the file when it starts!) and in one of the subdirectories there you'll find a file called output_log.txt. That's the log file.

Auriel

Project: Gorgon Game Mod
VIP
Stratics Veteran
The last one I was able to help with my rez command. Previous ones had to use a word of power in a very short window before the black screen came.

NevrWin

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
*sigh* Now I am death bugged again in the green side dungeon boss room. Ceirvos the Shadow's instant turn-everyone-into-a-deer and add +100 frustration feature is what did it. After dying a bunch more times and having Ceirvos finally slain with the Respawn window up, I was changed back into a cow and instantly "black screened."

Slightly frustrated tester commentary:
Now all of my abilities, that I had spent considerable time arranging earlier, are jacked up since I was unable to use any of them and had to hastily switch them all out when I got cursed and died (In order to be semi-useful in the next attempt so that I wouldn't be a deer anymore). In my opinion, many players would find this extremely annoying because it happens in the first few seconds of a boss fight, when you can't even move abilities around, and he casts it so many times (which FORCED my hotbar/skills to change each time, mind you) that potions and other counters to the curses (like getting your bar ready beforehand) seem like a waste of councils and time. Eric, is there supposed to be a counter to this? If not, can there please be one?

From my point of view, when I can finally log into my recently re-death-bugged character I get to spend even moooooore time organizing my GUI instead of playing. My only other option to play is to log into an alt, which... well it's called an alt for a reason, right? Ah well, maybe I just need a break from bugs and demonic deer so I'm just going to stay logged out of P:G until the patch gets here.

Edit: On a happy note, I managed to barely ding 50 in Mentalism right before the game decided to kick me in the udders! =)

Last edited:

Citan

VIP
Stratics Veteran
Sorry about the cow thing, should be fixed now!

RE: Ciervos - he's intended to either be tanked by a willing deer volunteer (and the rest range attack, since he only procs within 10 meters), or more reasonably, to be rage-managed by a couple of swordsmen with rage gear/abilities. I don't know if he can really be rage-managed well or not. Frankly he's the first monster dangerous enough that players might bother doing rage management, so I have literally no feedback on how well rage management builds work! But I'd like to fix that, if it's broken, rather than change Ciervos. There will be lots more uses for rage management over time -- I just have to figure out the sweet spot for it.

One of the reasons Sword does less damage than Fire is because sword can reduce rage, while Fire dramatically increases rage. Rage has to become a working mechanic for a large percentage of the game for this differentiation to make any sense!