• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Its just a game! No - it's not.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's the Market at work. As long as 1. Labor/tax laws are enforced (difficult considering that it is China being talked about) and 2. The "farmers" are not exploiting the game, then there's nothing wrong with it.

If 1 is happening, then it is up to the buyer to study the background of the people they are buying form and find the seller that they can accept on a moral level. In regards to 2, that is an issue for the GM staff to take care of and remove from the game.

If someone can make enough money to live on by playing an MMOG and selling a gold transfer service and in the process abide by tax law on income and NOT use exploits/dupes/etc to create an inordinate amount of ingame money/items, then in my opinion, more power to them. The Free Market is a wonderful thing like that.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shoot them all i tell ya!! Anyone who makes a RL profit from a game is a lazy bum to me. Gold and item sellers have hurt this game more than you would understand. They are parasites that need to be cleared out they do nothing good for the game.

E

Eslake

Shoot them all i tell ya!! Anyone who makes a RL profit from a game is a lazy bum to me. Gold and item sellers have hurt this game more than you would understand. They are parasites that need to be cleared out they do nothing good for the game.
I take offense at that!
I'm a lazy bum and I Do Not make RL profit playing games. :D

I find the last line on there indicative of how clueless some of those in a position to fix things are.
"Fundamental -Player Interraction" .. what?!

Does anyone here actually believe that someone paying RL$ out of game and spending all of 5 seconds In Game trading the item/gold/whatever for it equates to any real form of Player Interraction?

On WoW you could tell who the farmers were, they didn't talk to you. (same as UO) They are paid to do exactly what they are doing, and stopping to chit chat (player interraction) is not going to provide them with job security. ;)

If anything it is a major contributing factor to the downfall of interraction, as players find more and more others who are unsocial, they begin seeing the game in a similar light - and become less social themselves.

R

RenaLynne

Ah well, I guess its not really a game to them tho, its a job. I enjoy playing the game not grinding it like when Im at work:D

N

Nenime

Exactly! Me too. I really take care that I'm feeling good while playing. Everytime I'm unhappy I notice that I'm grinding - like waiting for a gain or certain amount of resource. Then I shut off and come back later. I bug others on forum instead ;)