• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's finally time to do away with blocked runes and "You must wait to perform another action"

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The first never had any purpose, aside from preventing someone from recalling into a house (which was always easy to code against anyway, and immaterial after the implementation of house security).

The purpose of the second was as a bandaid for Uzi bows, which haven't been seen since 1998. There's no reason to have it now, except as aggravation when popping a bandage, then having to wait to open a corpse or a door. To defeat scripters, some might say? But like with the delay between turning in BODs, scripters account for it.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Or accidently clicking animal lore / discordance on some unclickable object.
Forces me to wait 10 seconds to re-use a skill that never succeeded in the first place.

OR not being able to have multiple animal lore gumps up at the same time.
OR not being able to lore the same animal again if your previous gump is still up.

Focking hell. So many bad server / client / UI delays that needs to go to improve gameplay.

Izzy MBC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I guess if we're going down this road (Woohoo!), one of my pet peeves is being able to open the contents of a container (usually in my house), view it, and even pick up an item from it, but then be unable to put it back because my character isn't quite in the right position for 'full physical access'. I have spaghetti arms to extract it, but I guess I don't have spaghetti eyes to see where I'm placing it.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if they could just lower the double click delay to 500ms instead of a 1000 like all the free shards, that alone would be almost enough
that 1 second drag delay is brutal

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not being able to switch characters because I killed a freaking Mongbat IN TRAM before I log is EXCEEDINGLY annoying...

The opps tried to lore that Dragon/Unicorn whatever and the thing decided to walk away from the spot at warp speed just before I targetted it making me click the GROUND causing me a delay and NOT giving me any opportunity at skill gain or anything at all because that wasn't a valid target is EXCEEDINGLY annoying and needs to end.

And how many times I try to recall somewhere and it's blocked... but when I go there ... via another way ..... NOTHING Is in my recall spot and it works just fine...
If I can be moved slightly because of the house rune then I should be able to be moved slightly because an NPC or someone else is in the way. On that same note most all my characters have the exact same rune marked to my house... and they mostly all recall right on the left corner of the house... however my "MAIN" character when he uses sacred journey is put in front of the house that is to the left of mine but 15 tiles forward... yeah way out there... almost 20 tiles from my house. Yet they all have a rune marked in the same spot. ... inside the house. Weird.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess if we're going down this road (Woohoo!), one of my pet peeves is being able to open the contents of a container (usually in my house), view it, and even pick up an item from it, but then be unable to put it back because my character isn't quite in the right position for 'full physical access'. I have spaghetti arms to extract it, but I guess I don't have spaghetti eyes to see where I'm placing it.
This bugs me more than anything in the game and I'm glad to see I'm not alone! This means I can stop seeing my therapist!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure it was around for lots of other reasons including limiting theft attempts per second, capping skill gains and server load.
Stealing would have been a skill delay timer, though.

That's a good point about certain gains. I'm thinking more of stat gains, like when you could repeatedly herd an animal in a house for str gains, although the popular cheat program at the time could still get around item delays.

As a matter of programming, it still takes CPU cycles to check whether it's still too soon for an action, especially when someone's mashing down a key for Last Object or to open a door. With advancements in speed since, there's just no reason for the delay (or at least such a long delay).

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not being able to switch characters because I killed a freaking Mongbat IN TRAM before I log is EXCEEDINGLY annoying...
Some PvPers were logging in taverns and inns to avoid the final death blow, and it was annoying enough with the first guild wars, let alone Order/Chaos. The simple solution is to make heat of battle applicable only to players.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some PvPers were logging in taverns and inns to avoid the final death blow, and it was annoying enough with the first guild wars, let alone Order/Chaos. The simple solution is to make heat of battle applicable only to players.
Now I'm dumb as a rock and last programmed on a data punch card but couldn't they just start any pvp fix with is player in heat of battle if yes then line 2 if no line three as normal?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now I'm dumb as a rock and last programmed on a data punch card but couldn't they just start any pvp fix with is player in heat of battle if yes then line 2 if no line three as normal?
One would think... but my guess is the game can't tell the difference between fighting player/pet vs fighting mob... and not sure why it matters if I want to swap characters if I was just killing a mongbat... not like it is going to rez itself and want revenge on me.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One would think... but my guess is the game can't tell the difference between fighting player/pet vs fighting mob... and not sure why it matters if I want to swap characters if I was just killing a mongbat... not like it is going to rez itself and want revenge on me.
Like Anon said, it takes just an extra check in the code. There are numerous fixes that should not be complex and will improve gameplay (although that carries the big presumption the current team even knows where to look).

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The fact that there is such a huge known bug list and yet the developers have checked out putting all the eggs in a new legacy basket is insane...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How does the bug reporting even work?
I've reported 2
spellbooks not going back into strap
And hail storm not working on provoed monsters

It's been since straps were released and many months for hail storm
Do i just hold my breath and wait for them to work correctly?

Lord Telchar

Adventurer
And how many times I try to recall somewhere and it's blocked... but when I go there ... via another way ..... NOTHING Is in my recall spot and it works just fine...
You think UO is really a "living world" ? :D It's because when there is no player in the area, all the mobs / npcs are actually static and not moving. Only when someone enters the screen, then the mobs / npc will start moving.

So when you tried to go there "via another way", the mob / npc moved (and only) when you were approaching.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You think UO is really a "living world" ? :D It's because when there is no player in the area, all the mobs / npcs are actually static and not moving. Only when someone enters the screen, then the mobs / npc will start moving.

So when you tried to go there "via another way", the mob / npc moved (and only) when you were approaching.
I believe I'm playing in a world with a bunch of other people... therefore the NPC should be moving... typically when I go to the bank or whatnot there are others there. I don't play UO on a shard all by myself.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Beacons and pirate ships spawn and despwan with no one around. Mobs in the mines move around with no one there. They are not in the exact spot I leave them when I return.