• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

It's 2016 and creativity for Ultima Online never stops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

Adventurer
Greetings Ultima community ,

I already share this in few forums about this creative project.
Before I continue I would like make clear with Stratics admins that CakeForge ( small creators UO community ) is to empowering and inspiring people everywhere to create, discover, and connect Ultima franchise lovers. Bringing Ultima community together. It's to support Ultima Online and do legal things only and to keep UO spirit in official shards.
( How ever I am Ultima Online subscriber to support "Broadsword" Studio . )

Sorry about this long intro. Here it is - Exploring creativity with Collin. I think Stratics community will be interesting to take look.

yours sincerely,
Kartman

Last edited:

Kartman

Adventurer
Thank you Lord Gandalf ! It's Collins work not mine. What I am trying to do is bring together Ultima community and creators. Regarding to your question I believe that Ultima Online Enhance Client is great but Studio should really consider to get budget.

Reason is to hire people who actually care about Ultima and understand the engine. Not hard to find there a lot of fanatic programmers and designers.
I know you would say why EA don't bring there team - but do they care so much about Ultima Online ?
Don't need take it seriously, it's only my opinion.

Take care ;)
Nice work, you have any idea why EC isnt well polished like 2D client? Just too curious about it...

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Greetings Ultima community ,

I already share this in few forums about this creative project.
Before I continue I would like make clear with Stratics admins that CakeForge ( small creators UO community ) is to empowering and inspiring people everywhere to create, discover, and connect Ultima franchise lovers. Bringing Ultima community together. It's to support Ultima Online and do legal things only and to keep UO spirit in official shards.
( How ever I am Ultima Online subscriber to support UO Studio . )

Sorry about this long intro. Here it is - Exploring creativity with Collin. I think Stratics community will be interesting to take look.

yours sincerely,
Kartman
Looks cool, but what are we to do with this?

Also, didn't your last thread get locked?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could have sworn that BroardSword worked on the official Ultima Online game, who the hell is this UO Studio the OP is referring to.

Kartman

Adventurer
Yes that post was locked. Sadly it happen because of confusing title I think. That's why I stop for while making art for Ultima.
However since I started make something I came across a lot of creative people. I believe it could inspire use and "Broadsword" studio to make something awesome.

For exemple:
  • house decoration
  • world map details
  • history and story telling about why? and how? map design involves
( We could learn a lot from other creators. In general it is great to see that Ultima community is growing. )

Looks cool, but what are we to do with this?

Also, didn't your last thread get locked?

Last edited:

Kartman

Adventurer
I guess I get ban from Stratics! I try my best to create something to connect Ultima franchise lovers and to inspire and maybe improve Ultima game experiences.
Was very unique and only one Youtube community out there. I will continue but it's not motivating if everything is rejected by Ultima community.
I more than appreciate that "Stratics" still exists and Ultima Online servers are running. Yours truly, Kartman

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I guess I get ban from Stratics! I try my best to create something to connect Ultima franchise lovers and to inspire and maybe improve Ultima game experiences.
Was very unique and only one Youtube community out there. I will continue but it's not motivating if everything is rejected by Ultima community.
I more than appreciate that "Stratics" still exists and Ultima Online servers are running. Yours truly, Kartman
It's unfortunate the amount of work probably spent going into that, without much probability of being used.

But keep it up, it looks cool at least.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IBTL. Looks nice man, but as we've been told by the dev team before, you are only able to make cool stuff because you are thieves. :/

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
IBTL. Looks nice man, but as we've been told by the dev team before, you are only able to make cool stuff because you are thieves. :/
Eh, if they're just doing it for the fun of it, I don't see why it matters. They seem talented with their designs.

If they were to turn around and try to profit from it, it'd be a different story.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh, if they're just doing it for the fun of it, I don't see why it matters. They seem talented with their designs.

If they were to turn around and try to profit from it, it'd be a different story.
Well, last time OP posted something like this Messanna came in herself and basically told them they were using the name ultima illegally. So...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, last time OP posted something like this Messanna came in herself and basically told them they were using the name ultima illegally. So...
Yeah, the dude wasn't really clear what he was trying to push for an agenda.

If it's just a fan art thing, it's whatever.

It just gave the feel as if they were trying to solicit something from it though.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lots of really tight spaces but the attention to detail is really nice and the artwork is beautiful. Impressed by the layered water with objects underneath. Some things might need to get smoothed out a bit but exciting to see some player mods. This sort of things should be encouraged by the devs.

At this point i cant help but feel a little embarassed for the devs at BS. How can people like this with minimal resources put out vastly superior artwork over a dev team?? I usually try and refrain from negativity but lets not deny the obvious - the new land added last fall is very meh. Content is decent but all around its kind of sad how clearly little effort was put into it.

I hate to sound like a broken record but if this game is going to continue with the sub fees then there needs to be a larger dev team with the resources to justify it. Ive never been a supporter of uo going f2p but unfortunately i think thats the best direction for this game at this point. I say that because i tend to retain my account only to play when new content gets added... But the content is always mediocre at best. Im tired of dropping 150 a year for this game when its clear the devs dont truly care for it or are simply incapable of making positive changes. Players have been asking for a vanilla server for the better part of a decade, and instead we get this eye sore lag fest called eodon.

And for those anxious to tell me to just find a new game... I love what UO is but the game has clearly become so convoluted i dont know what to make of it anymore. Instead of finding a new game i would like to try and speak my mind and urge players to push for UO to take a new direction. Its 2016 - this model for a game seems very outdated. Delusional thoughts? Yeaaa probably.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At this point i cant help but feel a little embarassed for the devs at BS. How can people like this with minimal resources put out vastly superior artwork over a dev team?? I usually try and refrain from negativity but lets not deny the obvious - the new land added last fall is very meh. Content is decent but all around its kind of sad how clearly little effort was put into it.
It's the same with free/grey shards, I've seen some truly amazing implementations of both lands/dungeons, but also items and unique systems. (Systems that spring to mind include governor/player town systems, capture the flag stuff etc)
I really don't know why they don't or can't put the same effort and ideas into the official game, it's always been this way though, it's like the game is on permanent life support.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To me there is a big difference between saying:

Look what I made, come play my free shard...

vs

Look what is possible with just the graphics that are already in UO. Look at the level of detail we could have if the Devs found a way to up their creativity a bit. Maybe if the Devs could find a way to utilize some of the talent of the UO community, we could have a game that looks like this!

The OP seems much more like the latter to me, which, IMO is squarely within the Stratics TOS.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To me there is a big difference between saying:

Look what I made, come play my free shard...

vs

Look what is possible with just the graphics that are already in UO. Look at the level of detail we could have if the Devs found a way to up their creativity a bit. Maybe if the Devs could find a way to utilize some of the talent of the UO community, we could have a game that looks like this!

The OP seems much more like the latter to me, which, IMO is squarely within the Stratics TOS.
This. Where is there a shard advertised? There is none. Relax TOS police, you don't have to search for any little reason to try and lock a thread / ban someone.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Love the art here, looks amazing. I love that their are fans out there this dedicated to showing what is possible with UO. Cheers @Kartman

Ive always wondered why the dev team didnt take more input from people like this instead of relying on themselves to do every bit. Seems logical to me to get all the help you can get at this point. Would love to see someone like this devote their hobby towards the actual game rather than just another side project. I know trust is an issue, but honestly what is their left to trust? It seems like every rule, code, account etc etc etc has been violated. Not sure UO has much else to hide at this point, might as well open her up for some awesome designs and play ability.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That looks awesome.
....And vastly superior to any of the official clients through the ages.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they can do home design contests, bank design contests, etc... I don't see why they couldn't do new city/dungeon/etc design contests.

Put out a public tool similar to how custom houses are done and let folks have at it. Put in a little disclaimer that says the original art and any submission are and remain the sole property of EA and let players show you what is possible. Seems to me the Devs could use all the help they can get!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This. Where is there a shard advertised? There is none. Relax TOS police, you don't have to search for any little reason to try and lock a thread / ban someone.
So I did search for this, and you're right it's not a freed shard.

It's a free download that says
It's a graphics upgrade.

I'm actually tempted to download it to check it out, but I don't want to
Be the Guinea pig here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But it does fall into EA's TOS.
3. Arkiu: 1:21
Q: … Whats the purpose of this though? New UO client or new game? …
A: It is a game extension for Ultima Online. I am simply trying to make it interactive with new content to give depth to the game.

- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- You may not modify EA Software or use it in any way not expressly authorized in writing by EA.

How can they add content into UO unless they are hacking the servers to do so. Only the Devs are allowed to add content.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
But it does fall into EA's TOS.
3. Arkiu: 1:21
Q: … Whats the purpose of this though? New UO client or new game? …
A: It is a game extension for Ultima Online. I am simply trying to make it interactive with new content to give depth to the game.

- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.
- You may not modify EA Software or use it in any way not expressly authorized in writing by EA.

How can they add content into UO unless they are hacking the servers to do so. Only the Devs are allowed to add content.
I was referring to Stratics TOS.

I wasn't really concerned about EAs if it was just a graphic mod.

As far as the content, I assume it's an edit to the UOP files or (mul converted to UOP which is a client side modification)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was referring to Stratics TOS.

I wasn't really concerned about EAs if it was just a graphic mod.

As far as the content, I assume it's an edit to the UOP files or (mul converted to UOP which is a client side modification)
They didn't say they were changing the way you see things, they said they were adding content. Big difference.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They didn't say they were changing the way you see things, they said they were adding content. Big difference.
Idk man, looking at the site looks like all graphics to me.

But I've been wrong before

Enziet

Journeyman
This "mod" is pretty. But not the best mod I have ever seen though. The best was the one that makes your Classic Client run at a higher FPS to smooth out the chop. Omg that was a good project from a few years back. I was hoping it would be endorsed so I could give it a try. Sadly the project died off as the person lost interest in the game though.

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very pretty indeed. We should be pleased that there are people still tinkering with the artwork, it shows that there is love for the game. I have never engaged with, nor will ever do so, any free shards but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the effort and beauty of this work.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Greetings friends and flows,
I hope I gives you answer to your questions but it's just short explanation maybe it is confusing.
Sorry if I did not answer to your comment.

I wish you a pleasant day !
Loving the narrator, he's kinda funny hehe :p

Good job on your work @Kartman , keep it up. I too want to make this game great again :)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they can do home design contests, bank design contests, etc... I don't see why they couldn't do new city/dungeon/etc design contests.

Put out a public tool similar to how custom houses are done and let folks have at it. Put in a little disclaimer that says the original art and any submission are and remain the sole property of EA and let players show you what is possible. Seems to me the Devs could use all the help they can get!
This! I'm certain results would be very interesting if Broadsword released some base level toolkit for designing maps.( maps as in anything really. Dungeons, castles, cities, islands, continents, worlds.) It is clear that some of the people running unofficial shards, using questionable and unsanctioned level design tools, can produce VERY good results. Imagine the quality of work our community could manage with officially released toolkit.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly I am here to lock this thread.

This thread, and others like it have been reported for breaking our TOS. Namely displaying shard emulators or any type of unapproved third party software. Our TOS is defiantly designed behind the idea of preventing Free Shard advertisement, also our TOS is also designed to protect uphold and enforce the TOS of Broadsword/EA. It is clear that this thread falls in a grey area. The OP is not advertising Free shards, he is just sharing his artistic talent which I and others admire.
However, given the position we are in, and the fact that we have not received any official comment or permission for this type of content to be used or displayed, we must error on the side of caution.

@Kartman , I would advise for you to contact Broadsword directly regarding your videos, and ask for official permission to use, modify, and display UO related content in this manner. If you establish the proper permissions, please contact us at [email protected].

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.