• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is UO supposed to not making fun anymore?

Kingshore Dad

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I´m asking me that question quite a lot the past few weeks. It seems whenever comes changes or new contend that the focus is to make it hard instead of make it fun.
Newest example the shadowguard changes. It was fine the way it was and after killing the last boss you could get lucky with good loot or a drop what was not guaranteed most of the time you end up with moderate loot and drop. I mean i´ve done roof encounter easy 300 times and never got minax sandals or a 200+mio worth item of the loot but it was fun. now it is only a pain in the a.. ending up with nothing good at all!?!?
Same with the Eodon quest Bosses taking a huge amount of time to end up with a title scroll (can´t tell how often i got that useless scroll and stoped doing it at all).
Animal Training was best what came last few years but now it seems like for what?
Even at the EM events it seems like the EMs are just trying new ways to kill us faster and more often. Thats not fun and i think a game is supposed to make fun or am i wrong?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I´m asking me that question quite a lot the past few weeks. It seems whenever comes changes or new contend that the focus is to make it hard instead of make it fun.
Newest example the shadowguard changes. It was fine the way it was and after killing the last boss you could get lucky with good loot or a drop what was not guaranteed most of the time you end up with moderate loot and drop. I mean i´ve done roof encounter easy 300 times and never got minax sandals or a 200+mio worth item of the loot but it was fun. now it is only a pain in the a.. ending up with nothing good at all!?!?
Same with the Eodon quest Bosses taking a huge amount of time to end up with a title scroll (can´t tell how often i got that useless scroll and stoped doing it at all).
Animal Training was best what came last few years but now it seems like for what?
Even at the EM events it seems like the EMs are just trying new ways to kill us faster and more often. Thats not fun and i think a game is supposed to make fun or am i wrong?
I think you're exactly right - that's why when I log in, I only do old stuff that came out before all the new stuff, so I never get anything high end :shrug:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It depends on the player I guess. I go in spurts admittedly, but I have found fun in just re-exploring the lands. Trying to new things and reworked templates I've never played before.

Content all seems great to me. Are you focused solely on one thing? Or are you trying everything that can be tried?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I know you may think its lame but:
Today I had a ton of fun getting tribal berries, and making savage kin paint buckets, that maybe I will be able to sell for 2,500 each? I had fun doing that. Not to mention a ton of fun with the arachnids to get regs to make my own black rock stew that I will also sell? Fun is what only you think is fun. So go for it bud..This game still has massive content probably enough for most people..

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I took a rest from stuff and went all around outside Shame. It's been a while but the nice eles, gargoyles, ogres, reapers and whatnot were quite welcoming. Different and actually quite refreshing in a weird way.

I also sometimes will go trip the Deceit brazier to see what I get. Mostly garbage but once in a while there is a dragon or wyrm or lich. It's on a timer so I trip it, take care of whatever and then go do something else. I dunno, but since dragons can be spawned, can a GD possibly appear? Haven''t seen one, but am wondering.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I check the new stuff once in awhile when something new comes out but most the time it's an incredibly boring grind with NO reward or the reward is so infrequent that you'd have to do this boring grind so often it'd give you carpal tunnel and turn you into a total shut-in... I don't have all day every day to grind out UO... besides it's BORING.

I'll try loads of stuff a few times but after awhile it's just not fun. What's fun is to actually play WITH other players. But since they seem to make it more and more difficult to do that even that is not fun. If I wanted to play solo I'd play something like Skyrim or No Man's Sky... games designed for solo play. Not an MMORPG... but I don't know where the RPG part has gone of late... more and more of it is based on the sale value of things. If an activity doesn't produce something worth 100M or more no one seems interested in doing it.

So more and more of late I've found other things to do and I question the vast amount of money I spend each month on UO. I keep hoping for some reason to continue playing UO... but I see those reasons dying one by one.

Used to enjoy the roof... but with the upcoming changes I can foresee that becoming more of a pain than anything...

And to my dismay on the other forum I still refuse to post on I see this:
Auto stable is not a bug, it was put in to avoid people losing their pets when they lost connection for whatever reason. That's not just Kyronix's opinion, it's the TEAM's stand on the question, blaming Kyronix is just 'shooting the messenger'. However, it is widely abused. I, personally, would be quite happy if the pet was auto stabled and stayed there, meaning that when you logged in you'd have to go to the stable and fetch it. (Petra_Fyde)

Would she now??? Seriously? All I can say to that is this: If that is the case then please have all dexers have their weapon be placed in their bank box and all mages/spellcasters need to then have their spellbook placed in their bankbox everytime THEY DC... Just to keep it fair so that they too have to leave and go get their main weapon everytime they lose connection... Just saying... Logic is logic and the logic of that idea is completely insane...

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I normally just focus on teamwork things for the fun in the fight itself, any loot being a bonus. Also if things were easier to get they wouldn't be hundreds of mills worth. they are highly related.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I normally just focus on teamwork things for the fun in the fight itself, any loot being a bonus. Also if things were easier to get they wouldn't be hundreds of mills worth. they are highly related.
Hard to do any teamwork when people put hours of effort into something to get nothing they tend to not do it again. EVER. After a while of that people don't care to do anything. It's hard when time is very limited to balance "fun" and satisfaction... without satisfaction and reward the "fun" quickly dies.

Lady Sparkles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

I totally agree with you. I have played this game since it started and have seen many changes. Lately it just seems to be getting worse and worse. The changes to the Shadowguard are really annoying and in my opinion were not necessary. I have done it many, many times and I have never even gotten a Hawkwind's robe to even drop! LOL (I got mine from my brother) So its not like the drops were dropping too often or anything. You never had time to get all the money, that's from sure! lol And now, they had to change it so that you can't really do it with just 2 tamers like you were able to without a lot of difficulty. Yes I am sure we will get it figured out, but why did it need to be changed? Because ONE person complained?

It really is annoying.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I totally agree with you. I have played this game since it started and have seen many changes. Lately it just seems to be getting worse and worse. The changes to the Shadowguard are really annoying and in my opinion were not necessary. I have done it many, many times and I have never even gotten a Hawkwind's robe to even drop! LOL (I got mine from my brother) So its not like the drops were dropping too often or anything. You never had time to get all the money, that's from sure! lol And now, they had to change it so that you can't really do it with just 2 tamers like you were able to without a lot of difficulty. Yes I am sure we will get it figured out, but why did it need to be changed? Because ONE person complained?

It really is annoying.
That's the majority of people... but the DEVs seem to be catering to the Elitists... Who believe everyone should have the most uber gear, play on the top of the top of the line PC, with the best of the best connection speeds, using the best of all scripts and such so everyone ought to be able to farm that nearly AFK 24/7 ..... no idea why you can't... *severe eyeroll*... so we are led to believe that everyone does this so, therefore, they have to make the game to counter THOSE players... and everyone else can sit and spin and buy gold off the gold sellers so you can pay THOSE people gold bought with RL money from them who make all the gold... using all the best of the best of everything... or take your toys and leave the sandbox I guess...

Anyway, that's how it feels to me and I'm kinda starting to get ready to take my toys and go. Don't know about most the rest of you... but I can't compete with that anymore. I don't have the patience or the time to do it.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm kinda starting to get ready to take my toys and go.
I understand this! I'm not quite to the point you are, BUT, I am starting to think about it. For me, it's the scripters/cheaters/RMT people that will probably/eventually/maybe(?) cause me to close my accounts. Along with the "perceived" lack of ability/desire on the part of the devs to stop/ban those players. It is sad to see the amount of scripting/cheating/RMT's going on in the game. I actually had one VERY WELL KNOWN rares collector tell me it wasn't wrong, like it was with ********, because HE wasn't paying his mortgage or anything with RMT's. He was only using the money to treat his wife and kids to dinner and a movie, because he spent so much time on the game. He also mentioned that at some point he "got in a hole" with his rares collection.

Another player was so bold as to say that EA/Broadsword KNOWS he buys and sells accounts.

Not to mention the blatant advertising that has "taken over" general chat. That supposedly can't be stopped.

Also, there is a *** forum site that has well known players advertising buying/selling all kinds of UO items, including gold. (The names are very sad to see)

I forwarded a fair amount of information to @Mesanna , but as of now, the players are still running around flaunting the rules.

I really wonder if anyone has any desire to do anything about the violations. Even though the devs, @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix have recently said they are/will be banning violators, but I question as to whether any action has been taken against KNOWN scripters/cheaters/RMT people THAT DO SO ON PAID ACCOUNTS?

As much as I love UO, on occasion, I question my desire to even want to log in!

If anybody cares to know who some of these players are, feel free to PM me!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understand this! I'm not quite to the point you are, BUT, I am starting to think about it. For me, it's the scripters/cheaters/RMT people that will probably/eventually/maybe(?) cause me to close my accounts. Along with the "perceived" lack of ability/desire on the part of the devs to stop/ban those players. It is sad to see the amount of scripting/cheating/RMT's going on in the game. I actually had one VERY WELL KNOWN rares collector tell me it wasn't wrong, like it was with ********, because HE wasn't paying his mortgage or anything with RMT's. He was only using the money to treat his wife and kids to dinner and a movie, because he spent so much time on the game. He also mentioned that at some point he "got in a hole" with his rares collection.

Another player was so bold as to say that EA/Broadsword KNOWS he buys and sells accounts.

Not to mention the blatant advertising that has "taken over" general chat. That supposedly can't be stopped.

Also, there is a *** forum site that has well known players advertising buying/selling all kinds of UO items, including gold. (The names are very sad to see)

I forwarded a fair amount of information to @Mesanna , but as of now, the players are still running around flaunting the rules.

I really wonder if anyone has any desire to do anything about the violations. Even though the devs, @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix have recently said they are/will be banning violators, but I question as to whether any action has been taken against KNOWN scripters/cheaters/RMT people THAT DO SO ON PAID ACCOUNTS?

As much as I love UO, on occasion, I question my desire to even want to log in!

If anybody cares to know who some of these players are, feel free to PM me!
It's even more ridiculous when you see the same people active on the official forums or running their Facebook page.

Syncros

Adventurer
Dont you love RNG? Ive done roof a buncha times and have a few Minax sandels laying around among other artifacts but have yet to get a Cameo.

I havent done roof since the changes but not looking forward to Belfry since seeing some pics of some guildies getting pushed through the wall and even the floor Belfry sits on.

Lady Sparkles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well since the changes, we spend most all day in the Shadowguard yesterday on Napa Valley. (Sad to say, we were the only players that showed up all day long) I took my other tamer Cheyenne and my husband took his other tamer Tamon and we went with our guild mates and friends. It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be from what we had heard but our pets did however got bugged in the Belfry after it was completed and we had to call the GM when they got stuck in flying mode.

What was frustrating though was that over the course of the entire morning, afternoon and evening we had only 5 items drop. 1 Staff, 1 pair of Anon boots, 1 pair of Minax sandals, 1 Grimoire book and one Hawkwind's robe. LOL We had 5 to 7 of us at a time doing the run over and over again all day and night. I wish that the timing was longer so we could at least get the gold and look for the Legendary items on the body at least LOL AND that the drops were more frequent then that! I personally have never gotten a Hawkwind's or a Cape but I will continue to try. :)

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If there's one thing I miss about UO, it has to be the old Scenario? team.

They would work on content and a good story to go with it, then release it on the shards.

Prime example being the savages who were at war with the orcs, it brought in new content and a story line to boot.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have yet to do any of the new content in the last couple years. Not because I dont have the chars... I find it hard to find anyone with the time to do them with! Or at least teach an old newbie how its done. A person can watch youtube videos all they want but until its personally done I just dont see spending my limited time wasting hours and hours trying and failing to figure it out! Hell, I would almost be willing to xfer off my home shard just to sit in on some new stuff!

I did do an EM event a couple years ago and watched one guy controlling 4 other accounts with Mesanna there that made the comment about them and nothing was done to stop them. Thats when i gave up! Shortly after the event was done said player was selling 3 drops out of the 10 that were dropped in gen chat. Fair? Well I guess it was since he is paying for multi accounts to get them...

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have yet to do any of the new content in the last couple years. Not because I dont have the chars... I find it hard to find anyone with the time to do them with! Or at least teach an old newbie how its done. A person can watch youtube videos all they want but until its personally done I just dont see spending my limited time wasting hours and hours trying and failing to figure it out! Hell, I would almost be willing to xfer off my home shard just to sit in on some new stuff!
What server do you play on? I know quite a few people on quite a few servers who are always willing to help people coming back.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What server do you play on? I know quite a few people on quite a few servers who are always willing to help people coming back.
Lake Superior... Funny thing is I never left! For years I was in a pvp guild till they all quit then started doing things solo for a bit then just got into working on my castles deco (which I have yet to finish) Dont get me wrong there are many on LS that are great! I think my problem is my online times compared to theirs! I used to build a char, suit and gear it up and ship it off to a different shard! Ive even logged into shards to find that i have a fully geared out char that I forgot about!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lake Superior... Funny thing is I never left! For years I was in a pvp guild till they all quit then started doing things solo for a bit then just got into working on my castles deco (which I have yet to finish) Dont get me wrong there are many on LS that are great! I think my problem is my online times compared to theirs! I used to build a char, suit and gear it up and ship it off to a different shard! Ive even logged into shards to find that i have a fully geared out char that I forgot about!
Turn on Gen Chat. We have weekly community hunts and player run hunts. (Player News) - UO Community Events Schedule 2018/07/09 - 2018/07/15

There is a hunt every night this week.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Someone sent me this link today and since it says Public I am assuming I can share and they say invite others

UO-Today at 3:43 AM

Playing on official UO shards? Come and join the Ultima Online public discord sever with 600+ members: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers - Channels for EVERY shard! Please feel free to invite any other people who play or are interested in Ultima Online. Thank you!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive been on a few community hunts and had fun! Seeing Medusa drop as fast as she did was impressive!
Turn on chat and go on the hunts the players are creating. Allen or Don will help you with anything.