• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is UO doomed for faliure as a Forgotten EA wet dream?

G

Lately I've noticed a lot of excitement surrounding the new dev team taking over UO. I do have to admit so far it has been somewhat better. However, the issues I have on my mind they are not just issues the dev team can solve.

1. Player Base
2. Cheating
3. Lacking a complete 3D game side
4. Poor or Inadequate Ingame Support[GM's]

This is just a short list of major problems facing the future of UO. Has EA just had enough of it since the bought it some years ago. Is that why we see no changes in sight for the near future.

The ever decreasing player base is evident accross all shards. Even EA admits to the decreasing player base by suggesting Shard Merges to help bolster sparsly populated servers. Are we to just assume that no one ever really played on some shards. I say no. There is an increase in players leaving this game. If you are unaware of this problem I invite you to open your eyes and take a head count next time your looking around your shards popular areas. I for one know about 3-4 years ago the servers were packed and any vet with some time under their belt can back me up on this. Servers were stuffed with people. Now when I go around and look at player ran events such as MOA you can tell that there has been a decline in the player base. I remember when there was standing room only. The only way UO can fix this issue is Marketing. When you last crusied the pc game section of your favorite store. I ask you did you see any UO games for new players to buy? Have you seen any commercials for UO? Have you even seen a game review since mondains legacy came out? How is it that EA can expect to get new players to come to uo when they don't have any games at the local store for them to buy. No commercials to excite new players. No nothing. Seems to me that we are being stuffed into a closet in the back and are expected to bail ourselves out.

In exciting new members how can EA expect to do this with a 2d only side of the game. Yes hooray for Kingdom Reborn but it's not that great. Even EA has all but admited that Kingdom Reborn was a horrid mistake and completely a waste of time. The amount of people that do play Kingdom Reborn is no where near the amount of vets who only play on 2D. So EA can't shut down the 2D side or the will lose probably 75% of the veteran players. However if EA went to a completely 3D side of the game not this fake 3D or enhanced 2D they may be able to recapture some of the MMORPG market. However even though EA has this ability and the resources to do this. UO is not their bread and butter, if you are unsure of this next time your kids go to the store with you take a look at the electronics section and see how many sports games are made by EA and for how many different platforms. UO is but a small piece of their puzzle.

The in game service is a joke. How many of you can remember back in the day?
When you paged a GM for help a GM actually showed up and believe this or not they fixed your problem. Wow imagine that a person in game that you can count on to actually fix a problem. Back in the day we didn't get referred to a website so they can save money. No a little man in a red robe came down from the heavens and fixed the problem. There were no excuses sometimes we had to wait a bit but we always got a human response. When you take a look at other MMORPGs across the board they have an extensive in game service system. And their in game technitions actually have the power to help you. The sad thing is over the years you know the role of GM hasn't lost powers in UO. EA has just limited what they can do to service it's player base. Now if EA actually cared about the survival of UO and it's customers why would you do this to a loyal player base such as those associated with this game. Too many to count players have multiple accounts. Accounts older then 9 years Vets that have stuck it out through thick and thin only to be stuck into a closet somewhere and left to rot?

In regards to UO I see it as EA has two simple choices. 1 they can totally revamp and fix UO from the ground up. It may be unsettling to watch and be a part of but they would have to go in and FIX everything. Not leaving 1 Stone unturned in the name of game progression. or 2 They can simply sit back do nothing as UO idly goes dormit and eventually dies off. Those are the only 2 choices. The reason those are the only 2 choices is because if they simply maintain this game as we know it now it will die off. The player base will continue to shrink to the point that it would just not financially be feaseable to keep the servers running virses the cost to profit margin. Now it makes you wonder why control of UO was transfered to a different part of EA. Was it to fix UO? or Was the move done so they can put us on the back burner and let the doors close on Sosaria?

G

I guess the fanbois are brainstorming and getting their excuses ready. They will tell you about the 20 people they saw at some event and some will even swear that they see more new players.

G

Ive only been back about a month but I do see more people around. One thing that irks me is the GM support is as bad as its ever been. I was a counselor for a year or so and back then we had good support. I asked a simple question in a ticket and I get a 3 paragraph "use the knowledgebase and post a ticket there". I post a ticket there and they reply "that requires in game support".

EEgads....

G

Hold on, you have been back for a month a see MORE people. So in other words you see more people playing now than in the past. I only got one thing to say to you.......pass that %&@* over here.

U

UBR

First of to "The Doctor" I believe what you posted was very well stated.

I would like to remark that when I wanted to upgrade my account to the 9th anniversary I had a hard time finding it. There is at lest 10 spots where I live to buy,live in the Twin Cities and was told by Game spot at the time there are only about 6 copies around and no store had more than one. They also told me they where not getting anymore in.

Also I tried to get the 9th Ann through EA online I was not able to find maybe I was blind but either way I did not find it,

On another note you can't even get a copy through UO own sit yes you can get an account but you will not be able to up grade to 9th Ann.

I even called EA customer support and tried to upgrade my account through them and was told the only way to get the 9th Ann was to buy in a store. Back to square one trying to find a store that has it.

So if I am not able to find this in the store’s or online how are new players going to?

I would love to hear form EA what are there plans how are they moving forward give the player base something let them know there plans not everything has to be a secret

F

Fayled Dhreams

needs some work

1. Player Base
2. Cheating
<u>3. Lacking a complete 3D game side</u>
4. Poor or Inadequate Ingame Support[GM's]

scratch three ... never gonna happen ...by design intent and conscious decision ... never gonna happen

This is just a shorter(fixed) list of major problems facing the future of UO. <u>Has EA just had enough of it since the bought it some years ago.</u>(re-write ... extremely off on historical accuracy)<u> Is that why we see no changes in sight for the near future.</u> (you is not we ... eat some carrots ... doctor)

<u>The ever decreasing player base is evident accross all shards.</u>(need to account for even my small shard recently, seeing MORE peeps on, not as many as before ... true .. but MORE than a few weeks ago ..)
<u> Even EA admits to the decreasing player base by suggesting Shard Merges to help bolster sparsly populated servers.</u>(totally off base ... was and IS only a player suggestion, frequently re-shouted down ... closest thing was the "Binky Mis-speak" NOT a merging ... heard/taken as a "Threat" about CLOSING siege ... restudy re-submit)

<u>There is an increase in players leaving this game.</u>(there are SOME returning players ... and accounts re-activating ... your perceptions are: your perceptions ... hardly a guiding light in any case)

<u> If you are unaware of this problem I invite you to open your eyes and take a head count next time your looking around your shards popular areas.</u>(server logs ... quicker more accurate )

I for one know about 3-4 years ago the servers were packed and any vet with some time under their belt can back me up on this. Servers were stuffed with people. Now when I go around and look at player ran events such as MOA you can tell that there has been a decline in the player base. I remember when there was standing room only.
(yes... numbers are down ...ACCURATE numbers, see above ... need to show how a TEN year old game is even exisiting ... before worrying about people loosing interest ... duh)

<u> The only way UO can fix this issue is Marketing. </u>(No ... FIRST fix the game ...maybe even shut down UHALL ... as is ... HA! first time the noob gets frustrated and confused... manages to hang on and find a place to "ask a question" ...
just saying ... recognizing ... the hall is NOT the best "marketing tool" to "go to" FIRST either)

<u>In exciting new members how can EA expect to do this with a 2d only side of the game.</u> (scratched above ... see #3)

<u>The in game service is a joke. How many of you can remember back in the day?</u>(
YOU get the same number of people working the same hours at the same payscales, re-located to Virginia, and integrated into The EAMthic structure there WITH a sole dedication to servicing ONLY UO ... then we'll talk ... ya gots a Tardis don'tcha "doctor"? or is that a porta potty?
)

<u>In regards to UO I see it as EA has two simple choices.</u>
The Topic line led me to believe this thread WAS about EA ... which, by the by ... IS EAMythic ...

hummmm .... some sorta "dream sequence" retro reset? ala Le Matrix?

it IS about UO ...sooo ... not actually ot (inspite of glaring errors as to fact ... okay ... mayb ... it is about UO)
SnR
or
Troll support group

meh!
&lt;&lt;-- SnR

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Full disclosure: I wasn't exactly able to finish this post.

My answer: Yes, UO is doomed, just like it was doomed one month after its release (the first prediction of UO's imminent demise that I was able to locate).

-Galen's player

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Though I agree to your list of issues, I don't agree with some of "facts"...

1. EA has never suggested the merger of Shards. A few Stratics members have discussed it, but I've never heard an employee or representative of EA or Mythic mention it. If you have proof of such a comment, feel free to post a link here.

2. 3-4 years ago the shards had more players, but they certainly weren't "packed". That's about the time I came back, and I definitely don't see too much of a difference in DOOM or most of the other dungeons in Trammel. Champ Spawns still seem to bring about quite a bit of fun.

3. EA has never publicly said KR was a "horrid mistake". If you believe differently post a link to your source. KR is improving and it's getting to the point where it plays much better than 2D. In another year, the only players who will be left in 2D are die-hards and scripters.

4. I can remember when you couldn't page a GM because there was no mechanism to do so.

G

I knew you wouldn't let me down fayled. I love this game too but to say there are more players and accounts reactivating is wishful thinking at best and dishonest at worst. According to your post, they should open up some new lands, looks like they'll need it for all the new houses that are going to be put up.

G

See what you did? The apologists and the dillusional are out in full force.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm too tired to read it all but promise I shall in the morning. One thing stood out to me thats been irking me is the KR issue.

Graphics preferences aside, especially since there are so many legacy options, what I really wish EA would recognize is the need for most players to actually be able to run KR on their computers.

I think the KR client is an absolute necessity with fixing bugs quicker, heck just doing anything quicker without messing with ancient coding. If we can get everyone on one client, let them set their viewing and UI preferences liberally then there is no reason KR and UO cannot be a complete continued success.

G

To mr. Fayled Dhreams

Well it's clear how you got your 5583 posts do you have one thought that is your own. In your incoherint babling you made absolutely no sense. EAMYTHIC is still EA it, and with out a full 3D side of the game EA will never draw in a new player base. UO's 2D rough image paper dolls and graphics are a joke when compared to the new MMORPG's being produced presently. If you don't think that the population is declining to a critical level I invite any developer to post a correct sensus with Accounts presently active compared to that of 3 years ago and we can go from there.

U

UBR

Doom Not as busy as three years ago?? I want what your smoking. Three years ago it so was so packed you could not even see the Boss you where fighting. today not an issue. Yes it may have picked up there in the past month or so becuase of the drop changes but never the less still nothing like it use to be.

G

Yes the Die Hards are out in full force tonight. If you honestly belive that this game has lasted for 10 years and kept going from the due diligence of EA or Mythic you are sadly mistaken. The only reason this game is alive today is the vets that have had accounts running all this time. No new player base to speak of comming into this game. leaves 1 conclusion once people get fed up of the crap this game will die. If you don't think that UO needs a full 3D version to be competeitve with the games of today then you are fooling yourself. EA Mythic is EA just a different branch. they are still owned by EA. lets see here what's they're other game they provide service for? Dark Age of Camelot where do we rank in that equation... hmmm at the bottom might be a good guess. Nice graphics good player base, and enhanced gameplay. " Mythic Entertainment has secured the rights to develop a new MMORPG based on Games Workshop's internationally popular Warhammer fantasy world. In development now, the game will be released worldwide in 2008. " It appears to me that we are looking at the scrap yard like the SIMS online.

I

imported_Nestorius

Naw, they just need to make the game conceptually compelling like it was in the 90's.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In your incoherint babling you made absolutely no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must be new here

( OK ... I guess if I'm going to say that then I should give a full response )

I am one of the rare people who likes removing unpublished administration (that is to say, GMs/EMs) from the game as much as possible. Based on the stories I read, I think people attempt to lean far too heavily on GMs when they *should* be using the knowledge base, or the community, or a bug report or simply flagging an abuse and moving on about their business without waiting to watch an outcome. EM events are a great community-builder for the relatively small number of people who come out for them, but I can't help but wonder if the scripted events/invasions do not, in the end, reach more people and give them more total enjoyment per unit of developer work.

As for cheating, it's not a trivial thing to solve. It's obvious that some attackers have a very detailed understanding of the game's code and communication protocols. Take something like the speedhacking that gets talked about - I don't encounter it myself (not surprising given my non-competitive playstyle), but taking the stories at face value suggests there is a flaw very deep in the fundamentals of how the game controls and communicates positions. That is not going to be easy to solve - I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out some of the rubberbanding people saw in the last patch was caused by attempts to fix this (it might be completely irrelevant, but it's the sort of quirks I would expect to see during attempts to mitigate the problem).

The KR client development obviously did not go according to plan - to be honest, my mind had a hard time grasping the scope of the task they had committed to undertaking. The "beta" was a disaster because it wasn't ready for beta - it looks like the workload ballooned and the budget simply ran out. However, it has improved greatly over the months and although far from perfect, I feel comfortable using it exclusively.

I know that there will always be debate over starting over vs slow death, but I think there is a viable third option which is to continue to polish, to add simplicity for new players, to add depth for the diehards, to endure. UO's main selling point is its endurance. "Ultima" is not just a brand that can be slapped onto a random 3D game any more - there are individual trees that matter. It's this legacy matters. It has survived this long, through upheavals great and small. Even in its "decline", it has attracted a trickle of new enthusiastic players like myself (although I think I'm at the point where I can't really claim to be a newbie any more).

( Now, all that being said, it may well turn out that the correct business decision is to ignore me ... if so, well, then egg on my face. But we'll burn that bridge when we come to it )

edit: drat, all that writing and it was moved to rants'n'spiels after all

F

Fayled Dhreams

Well ...as always ... you'll see/read what you WANT ... but for accuracies sake ...
I didn't say there was a skyrocketing surge of fresh blood that would soon require a redoubling of shards ...

now did I?

I wrote:
(need to account for even my small shard recently, seeing MORE peeps on, not as many as before ... true .. but MORE than a few weeks ago ..)
and
(there are SOME returning players ... and accounts re-activating ... your perceptions are: your perceptions ... hardly a guiding light in any case)
and
(yes... numbers are down ...ACCURATE numbers, see above ... need to show how a TEN year old game is even exisiting ... before worrying about people loosing interest ... duh)

Making your:
"I knew you wouldn't let me down fayled. I love this game too but to say there are more players and accounts reactivating is wishful thinking at best and dishonest at worst. According to your post, they should open up some new lands, looks like they'll need it for all the new houses that are going to be put up."

merely short sighted and ill phrased ...
IE ... MY observations were honest AND based on observations ...first hand ...which ... now you mention it ... is something that the OP cannot claim ... nespah?
His post in its entirity could be nothing more than a gleaning of the last four years of (similar) unsupported trolls ...
WITHOUT knowing any more than: uo.stratics.com ... never mind actually having a subscription ...

Bur bur burma shaved

F

Fayled Dhreams

Ah
thought you'd be a better troll ... at least a practiced one, or a returner ... *sigh* o'well

You say its clear, how my post count was high ... then follow it with a question ... tsk! as to whether the thoughts are my own ...
IF it was clear ... no need for the question, the question and the follow on Pfffft!
exposes whom is actually lost ...

(btw ... you have the net, and the time... proof reading and m-w.com ... just saying ... the better to disguise your rushed mispellings ... nothing to offer for the assumptions and mis-interpretations ... more study maybe ... but, bear in mind ... some things must be learned, and can never be taught. Proceed at your own pace)

EA is, indeed EA... however .. due to recent postings ... it IS NOT THE SAME EA as in years gone by ... theres been some restructuring ... of which EAMythic is but one, small, piece ... Of primary concern for UO ... is how those changes will manifest over time ...and again ...RECENT developments bode WELL for UO to get some needed things faster and better than even unto UO's inception (which was initially financed by EA ... not "bought up" as you earlier slipped up ... noob {internet and history ... knowlege is power ... if ya can take a hint} )

Touting a full on 3d wow class "look" ... puts you well out there ... deep, in the lunitic fringe ... from my perspective ... not only the KR/2D isometric perspective faithful will fight you tooth and nail ... but even unto the faithful devs that realize its uniquely UO legacy "feel" that keeps and HOLDS the years worn vet ... HA! I spit! on your full on 3D wow cloning of MY classic UO ...blasphemer! heretic! drooling kNuB!! I support the furthur development and refinement of the KR client ... because I recognize the potential benefits , that maybe found in the GameBryo client, that are KNOWN to be lost "beyond hope" in the spaghetti code of the original wombat customized Granny client.

No need to create a "when god answers" STALL ...to discuss ... intelligently ... and logically, whether or not UO's numbers have reached a critical level ...
(well known even amongst the newest born trolls ...Census numbers will NOT be forthcoming) ... the Critical mark is when the servers are listed HERE &lt;&lt;&lt;Until then
it
is
game on!

Your:Fayled Dhreams
Fiat justitia, ruat coelum
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Save UO - Save the cheerleaders<font color=red> ... </font color=red>(AesSedai 10/31/07)

G

An 8th post, from the OP, ranting about the impending doom of UO...
Backed up by a 4th post, and a 1st post.

I don't usually judge a person by their post counts. But three sub-10 posters in one thread, all arguing the same point (and attacking those that don't agree)...
Hmm...

My money's on alts, or friends, playing backup to the OP.

To the OP.
Unlike a lot of the posters that find their way in here, you seem to have some fair points.
You just need to learn to debate a bit (read: a lot) better.

G

I have been playing UO and reading stratics for years and decided recently to open a stratics account. You guys that have this thing for post counts really need to get over yourselves. Oh, and btw, I don't know the guy that started this thread. Don't be so paranoid.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doomed to failue? Ultima Online has already proven that it is a success. It did it when 3 servers weren't enough for everyone. It did it when EA stopped cancelling MMOs and everyone else made their own.

All it needs now is a sequal. There are no other true virtual worlds out there like the Ultima series. The foundation was there with Ultima Online 2, pick up the peices and keep going.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

KR
just it's existance alone makes me not want to play.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Yes the Die Hards are out in full force tonight. ...

[/ QUOTE ]You didn't really address my comments other than the KR one, so I'll just reply to your new comments...

This game is not alive just because of vets, though I do believe there is not a constant flow of new blood into the game. EA has greatly improved the game over the years. Were you around when the game first came online? After about 6 months, you had done everything 50 times. There were so many exploits it was practically impossible to get a fair duel in PvP. Content, expansions, and (believe it or not) exploit fixes have definitely improved the game. On the other hand, new exploits have crept in and EA is not fixing them fast enough for the high-end player.

For players to expect a 10-year old game to be growing is a little too much to expect. Reading through other posts in this thread, I agree the only way to grow the player-base is to create (again) UO2 with a more cartoonish look to appeal to a wider range of players. If they keep the UO game mechanics but create new shards and a completely new (yet familiar) client interface, we could see a real rennaisance of this game. Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen.

I do agree that UO has become the ugly step-child now that Mythic is running it. DAOC and WarHammer are their babies, and they will only give UO enough care and feeding to barely keep it alive.

As long as UO is profitable (something the SIMS online never was), it will keep going.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have been playing UO and reading stratics for years and decided recently to open a stratics account. You guys that have this thing for post counts really need to get over yourselves. Oh, and btw, I don't know the guy that started this thread. Don't be so paranoid.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not being paranoid.
A single guy with a low post count? Insignificant.
Two people with low post counts? Interesting, but inconclusive.
Three people with low post counts? Three points make a statistical trend.
Three people with borderline new accounts? Anomalous trend.
Three people with borderline new accounts, coming into the same thread, with near-enough the same attitude? Think about it.

You see where I'm going?
Probably not...
Such is life. Reasoned analysis is wasted effort, when people are out to win at forums.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I'm not being paranoid.
A single guy with a low post count? Insignificant.
Two people with low post counts? Interesting, but inconclusive.
Three people with low post counts? Three points make a statistical trend.
Three people with borderline new accounts? Anomalous trend.
Three people with borderline new accounts, coming into the same thread, with near-enough the same attitude? Think about it.

You see where I'm going?
Probably not...
Such is life. Reasoned analysis is wasted effort, when people are out to win at forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Focus on the OP, it doesnt matter how many posts he's made. Being elitist about post count is ridiculous.
And I'm sure plenty of people share his opinions, and several of the posts in this thread agreeing with him are from high count posters like yourself.

and your stats are jacked. 3 posts makes a statistically significant trend? pfft.

G

<blockquote><hr>

lol. Focus on the OP, it doesnt matter how many posts he's made. Being elitist about post count is ridiculous.
And I'm sure plenty of people share his opinions, and several of the posts in this thread agreeing with him are from high count posters like yourself.

and your stats are jacked. 3 posts makes a statistically significant trend? pfft.

[/ QUOTE ]When you consider the baseline, it is significant.

Why are you focusing on me, rather than the OP?

For the record. I disagree with most forum analysts.
Because they approach any give situation from a narrow perspective, and then the people who agree with them (for likely similarly narrow reasons) support the point, and it quickly becomes "the 100% truth" through sheer weight of agreement, no matter how poorly researched it it.

As I said before.
The OP has some fair points.
That's a polite way of saying that some of his points are reasonable, but he needs to put more legwork behind his analysis.
Here's some food for thought:
When you see less people around, have you considered that they might just not be where you're looking for them?
Player housing becoming the norm, is going to spread the playerbase out more widely.
With the nature of the game becoming more about acquisition (simple, item-based game result), people aren't going to group together in one place. That would equal more competition for available items, which is double-edged. For trading, more competition leads to lower prices, while competition in item gathering limits productivity.

R

randommatter

<blockquote><hr>

Hold on, you have been back for a month a see MORE people. So in other words you see more people playing now than in the past. I only got one thing to say to you.......pass that %&amp;@* over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably playing on one of the larger servers like ATL. More people are there because people are leaving the shards they are on because they are dead. It's consolidating. That's the first stage, then it will be shutting down dorment servers, and then it will be death to uo.

F

Fayled Dhreams

*ahem*
"... You guys that have this thing for post counts really need to get over yourselves. ..."

Including the op ... yes?
which was Kiminality's point ...
better addressing the points ( facts ... research ...)
less: your name sucks ... your registration date is small ...( OFF point )

Knowing what is the point
Less "cause I FEEL ..."

simple

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]When you consider the baseline, it is significant.

Why are you focusing on me, rather than the OP?

For the record. I disagree with most forum analysts.
Because they approach any give situation from a narrow perspective, and then the people who agree with them (for likely similarly narrow reasons) support the point, and it quickly becomes "the 100% truth" through sheer weight of agreement, no matter how poorly researched it it.

As I said before.
The OP has some fair points.
That's a polite way of saying that some of his points are reasonable, but he needs to put more legwork behind his analysis.
Here's some food for thought:
When you see less people around, have you considered that they might just not be where you're looking for them?
Player housing becoming the norm, is going to spread the playerbase out more widely.
With the nature of the game becoming more about acquisition (simple, item-based game result), people aren't going to group together in one place. That would equal more competition for available items, which is double-edged. For trading, more competition leads to lower prices, while competition in item gathering limits productivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

okie then. I'll focus on the OP. I disagree with him that UO is doomed (very emo btw). And i agree with a previous poster who said that UO has survived for 10 years and is still kicking. And I agree with the sentiments of many others that say UO has come up with some incredibly innovative content that other games can't come close to touching (skill development, player housing, depth of trade professions).

But one of his main points was basically that there is a decline in players on all shards over the years, which seems to be meeting with much denial. Come on. You guys have to at least give him that one. I can't believe anyone would dispute that. Take uo-auction.com for example. There was a time when Great Lakes had hundreds to thousands of auctions posted on that site. Over the years I have seen auctions dropped into the double digits. Granted, I've been away for a while, but last I checked UO had no internal auction system right? Is there some other third party site that's taken over on out of game auction listings?

And yeah, using that site as a proxy for UO activity is a bit of a stretch, but what about this: http://www.mmogchart.com/analysis-and-conclusions/ and http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html. Hell google "Ultima Online dwindling subscription" and you'll be able to find plenty of support and very little counter evidence that UO is (as is the natural order of things) dwindling in popularity over time.

I agree. A little bit of research could have greatly aided the OP in making his point. But declining subscription base? I didn't know that was a point of contention, I thought that was kind of an accepted opinion.

F

Fayled Dhreams

agreed ... it IS kinda understood though "unspoken" ... here, flatly:
Numbers are down.

WHY they're down ...WHAT can be done to reverse the trend ...

Thats where yet another fixer/analyst "usually" begins to "go wrong" ...to one degree or another :
"usually" flagged with one word: "Because ..." a brighter "flag" is the occasional use of: "Therefore ..."
both imply/infer (at least some little bit) of a thought process ... or some logic ... or some derived "rational"

"usually" on examination ... 'tain't none of that in the least ...(least wise a "proper use of") ...(either / or)
can ya conceed that?

"Boycott" ...
powerful word
if used properly.

didn't.

got there without doing the math ... which will bear on its effect and consequence ...
fer instance:
say he gets total 1000 accounts ...
1% ... yes?
"all canceled for a month" ... yes?
"all at the same time" ...maybe ...
"simultaineous impact"? not likely

billing RENEWAL date ...

varies ... between account to account to account ...
MAYBE a fair chance for some clustering
likely however , over a (checks calendar) 31 day period (march) an average of 33 accounts PER DAY ...
(take weekends off as nonbusiness days) 1000 / 21 = 45 ... on average ... for a month per business day
tis the nature of churn ...
the offset to that teriibbibibibly large number of "45" ...
trial accounts ...

Just saying ...
nevermind what the goals and motives were
or what a jackass he's playing out to be ...

simple math could have "fixed him" ... first ...

need I burma shave him?

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

Thats where yet another fixer/analyst "usually" begins to "go wrong" ...to one degree or another :
"usually" flagged with one word: "Because ..." a brighter "flag" is the occasional use of: "Therefore ..."
both imply/infer (at least some little bit) of a thought process ... or some logic ... or some derived "rational"

"usually" on examination ... 'tain't none of that in the least ...(least wise a "proper use of") ...(either / or)
can ya conceed that?

[/ QUOTE ]

concede it!? I can't even understand it!

<blockquote><hr>

"Boycott" ...
powerful word
if used properly.

didn't.

got there without doing the math ... which will bear on its effect and consequence ...
fer instance:
say he gets total 1000 accounts ...
1% ... yes?
"all canceled for a month" ... yes?
"all at the same time" ...maybe ...
"simultaineous impact"? not likely

billing RENEWAL date ...

varies ... between account to account to account ...
MAYBE a fair chance for some clustering
likely however , over a (checks calendar) 31 day period (march) an average of 33 accounts PER DAY ...
(take weekends off as nonbusiness days) 1000 / 21 = 45 ... on average ... for a month per business day
tis the nature of churn ...
the offset to that teriibbibibibly large number of "45" ...
trial accounts ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are saying that this boycott will go unnoticed in the grand scheme of things due to the nature of game time being purchased in 3 or 6 month intervals. I agree with that. But keep in mind that there are also people that quit out of sheer frustration. I guess theyre boycotting and they don't even know it.

I don't think the OP of this thread was talking about boycotting tho...

<blockquote><hr>

Just saying ...
nevermind what the goals and motives were
or what a jackass he's playing out to be ...

simple math could have "fixed him" ... first ...

[/ QUOTE ]

other than the thread title, I don't think much of the OP was jackassing. I think you are thinking of some other thread.

<blockquote><hr>

need I burma shave him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand this but it seems to involve shaving, and your tongue. RUN OP! RUN!

G

I would have to say that UO is on a downward trend and will come to a end I played for a long time ( 1999-2006 ) and in that time I got to see a lot of stuff some good but most bad. I guess what got me in the end was the total lack of caring by EA , Be it Age of Item , Age of Artys , Age Of Super Suits or the current Age Of Hacks .

If I ran my company the way that EA runs Uo I would have been broke along time ago , EA as a whole just seems to not care one bit for a long time all they wanted to do is add new c**p and not fix what was broke from the last stuff they added , And now they want to start fixing problems where were they at AOS ? .

To me it wouls seem a little hard to fix what is wrong with the game without peeling back all the layers of c**p and fixing was was broke first and working thier way up to freash air once more . Just one thing I can think of off the top of my head is trapped boxs... need i say more lets have another item that allows you to sub more items for char skills , This game was made with the ideal that your chars skills make the char. This one item allowed a lot of temps to be made with no neg attached ( AKA a real problem not just having to get another box) How About WOD/AI one shot archers Lmfao.

Or stun hump mages / Boko mages or necro that they keep messing with and its still not right from what I can tell , And thats just the ones i can think of right off the top of my head. This game was never intended to be a massive team work game yet they have made it that way and did it poorly , If i recall power scrolls were when teamwork became a need not just a want.

As far as hacks and such this is one of the worse games I have played in that regard and by that I mean lack of caring several other Online games I have played you get insta banned the min you log in with a lot of the common programs that are used by most on UO . If other games can do it why not UO ?

All these things stacked up to me not wanting to play anymore, why play if all that happens is you just get mad because of glareing problems ?

P.S Cheer for new log in due to not being able to recover my pass .

G

<blockquote><hr>

P.S Cheer for new log in due to not being able to recover my pass .

[/ QUOTE ]

Email us at [email protected] from the email address on the username you're wishing to recover.

Edit: I believe I located your email. Check your email.