• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discordance] Is this a viable idea for a template?

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been getting extremely bored recently with running the same ol' templates day in and day out. So decided to try something that I haven't before. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the following type of template? And more specifically, if keeping the mastery spells up with constant AI or double strike spam is possible?

I have 120 music and 110 Disco on a stone, and wondered if a disco/whammy would be a decent set to run against big game type of targets. Specifically the magic casters with huge mana pools like Shimmering or Slasher.

This won't be a spawner, purely big, single boss types.

Was thinking this could be fun:

120 Music
120 Disco
120 Melee
120 Tactics
100 Chivalry
100 Spirit Speak
20 Necro (Cast wraith off of a scroll)
50 Bushido (To enable the honor system, and emergency LS)

I realize this is probably more warrior related, and I could have asked in that forum. But I figured that you would have more experience with the disco masteries here.

Would the upkeep be fairly simple to maintain? I think I read it would be 25 mana every other second if both songs were running. Is the added damage from them THAT much greater?

Just after your thoughts, thanks for your time. :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
couple things.

why SS and not necro?

if you had GM necro then you could go into vamp form and be a real Sampire and get the benifits of the life leech with each hit (DI leech)

from what ive done id say no.
you wont be able to keep up with the mana draw with the disco masteries.

the disco ones are by far the heaviest mana draw.
if it where the provo ones id say you could probablly keep up with the proper suit with LMC and such, but with the disco ones, no.

second, you dont have any mana regen, no med or even less so focus.
youd need at least GM med with a 40 LMC suit and 10 MR to keep the disco one up and then stack your specials on that.....

i dont think its gonna happen.

i have a archer that is pimped out in a 70 suit with 40 LMC and 10 MR and he has med ontop of that and i dont even run with the mastery on and i am fighting to keep my mana up.
and im shooting with max mana leech on my weapons.

granted, wraith form PLUS a mana leech weapon might get ya there, but that would be a fine line.

youd have to get out there and try it i think to be sure.

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Poo, and thank you for responding.

First, the reason for SS is two fold. Emergency healing, and at 100 SS you get 30 second curse weapon spells. 50 Life Drain from curse is better than the 20 from Vamp form.

My thoughts for the mana consumption were to use wraith form obviously, and a 68 ML leafblade for the bosses. Spamming AI should leech back enough mana to keep the weapon special going with 110 mana on the character. But yes, I'm a bit concerned as to whether or not I'll be able to keep even one of the songs running on top of that.

I went to TC1 to give the basic idea a whirl last night, but without the suit, it was a big waste of time.

Guess I was just hoping someone out there had tried something similar to this before I went dumping a load of gold into the suit. But oh well..just pixel gold, right?

Thanks again.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya,

that disco mastery is the heaviest for mana consumtion by far.

i dont think youd be able to keep up

BUT, depending on how much your leeching it might!
youd have to try i guess

F

Fishy McHook

nope chiv/necro don't work u need karma and fame for chv u got necro u need less there is no balance so neteher works good becase you don't get full efect of chiv or necro

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
nope chiv/necro don't work u need karma and fame for chv u got necro u need less there is no balance so neteher works good becase you don't get full efect of chiv or necro
I haven't tested the negative effects of casting curse every 30 seconds during boss fights yet. But, I'm thinking that it would be fairly easy to sea-saw the karma by fighting demons or succubus to build it up before I go and do a couple runs against whichever peerless I'm wanting to go after that day.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i think what he's saying is that if your seesawing your karama you will stay in the middle, no?

and chiv spells now require high end karma.

suprises me that necro dont require low karma, eh

5% Luck

I belive this temp works great with only a few tweaks. 1st is go throwing. The DPS is just not enough to tank the melee on top of the spells being cast at you without parry even discorded. 2nd you are going to be farming more karma then is considered decent after a champ but during the spawns you should keep about even from where you started.

Your weapons are the real issue. You will need maxx ssi on a glaive over 180 stm a super slayer for the spawn and a single slayer for the boss. Your left with 2 mods that are, if hit effect, gona be quite low ~35. relying on the wraith for mana and limiting your karma loss on curse weapon I suggest HLD&HLL.

The other thing to note is necro scrolls do not give a casting success bonus. 20 is the minimum to hold wraith form so it must be included but carrying a grimore and a bloodwood spirit just to cast it with decent success might be the way to go!

Now the real reason I decided not to use this temp is the skill timer. If you practice alot you may get it down to where you are comfortable but for me tring to discord every mob in a spawn slowed me down a little too much. Keeping 240 points on the temp just for the boss seemed a little excessive and managing the karma after the fact is time consuming although it works!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Your weapons are the real issue. You will need maxx ssi on a glaive over 180 stm a super slayer for the spawn and a single slayer for the boss. Your left with 2 mods that are, if hit effect, gona be quite low ~35. relying on the wraith for mana and limiting your karma loss on curse weapon I suggest HLD&HLL.
isn't the hard cap now 150 for all stats?

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
isn't the hard cap now 150 for all stats?
Yes Poo, cap for stats is 150. But with stamina increase items, you can raise your stamina quite a ways above that.

@5% - Thanks a lot for your input there, some good info. I did mention though that this is not a spawner at all. Just a peerless boss type of hunter.

If I just use slasher as an example due to his seemingly endless mana pool. My idea is to disco him, and using a demon slayer leafblade to feint and AI constantly. (HLA, HML, HSL, DI, Slayer..Curse for 50 Life drain)

After testing last night on paragon cu's and a couple balron. Curse weapon drops my karma rating by 4 points each cast. So building it up before a boss fight should be easy enough I believe.

I still don't have my suit setup to try one of the big bosses yet. Really wanting to see if I can leech back enough mana spamming AI to keep the masteries running on top of the AI spam. Crossing my fingers that I can. :)

B

Bort of Atlantic

For what it's worth, if you can get 20% SSI on your suit, you can swing a leafblade at 1.25 if your stam is 120 or higher. Some will try to get 180+ stam to swing other weapons as quickly as possible, but I'm a little more defensive and would rather be able to swing quickly after being hit a time or two b/c I need to gain life back at that point. I currently have macing on my sampire but may soulstone fencing over to gain the extra weapon mod (HLA replaces SSI).

Let us know how it goes, please. If you also try vampire instead of wraith, I'd assume you wouldn't be able to AI as much, but swampy would provide 20% damage reduction and VE would make it so you don't have to cast curse weapon.

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still looking for 2 more pieces for the suit, but I'll post results when everything is up and running.

One other question though:

Is my ability to discord a creature in any way different between real skill and jeweled skill? I know the masteries depend on real skill, but is the barding side affected in the same manner?

Say if I went to 90 music, 90 disco, and ring up to 120 just to get the discord off? Would it be just as effective as if I was 120/120 real?

Thanks. :)

5% Luck

I usually run 105 discord and swap in a ring with 15 to discord the bosses the swap out to something more useful like a crystalline ring. Unless the char is a dedicated discorder like a discord tamer I tend to let it stay low except for those few tries it takes to discord a 160.

So no discord doesnt need real skill.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No point in investing 20 necro skills, if youre a human you get that for free. (I just skimmed your post so you might have meant that was joat)

O

Ozzmandias

Hello mate,

For the rest of it, I reckon you'd just have to suck it and see, although...

What I would say is that disco does nothing to the damage you do with that temp.

Why?

Since anyone in wraith form is doing it to chain AI.

You're ignoring resists, so disco'd resists doesn't help you. You'd only get a damage bonus if you can lower the resists to somewhere below 44 (I think) where double strike then starts doing more damage then AI.

My main point here though, is you need 40Necro (by jewels or skill).

Why? Curse weapon. Unless you plan to have a ton of scrolls on you, you'd need to cast curse weapon at some point, and you need 40Necro to 100% curse weap. And trust me, you really don't want to sit there fizzling your only practical means of healing.

B

Bort of Atlantic

I believe Disco on this template is more to be able to kill almost anything in the game than to do more damage than the standard AI-wraith.

120 discord
120 music
120 fencing
120 tactics
105 + 15 (jewelry) chiv
99 necro
36+30 (jewelry) SS

This lets you ride a swampy for 20% damage reduction, and curse weapon + VE should be more than enough healing. Fencing is for leafblade for feint, and you can even replace SSI with HLA to take fewer hits.

I guess in theory you could put together a tank with mysticism, parry, some necro for curse weapon, etc, but current content isn't really based upon encounters that require a tank.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe Disco on this template is more to be able to kill almost anything in the game than to do more damage than the standard AI-wraith.

120 discord
120 music
120 fencing
120 tactics
105 + 15 (jewelry) chiv
99 necro
36+30 (jewelry) SS

This lets you ride a swampy for 20% damage reduction, and curse weapon + VE should be more than enough healing. Fencing is for leafblade for feint, and you can even replace SSI with HLA to take fewer hits.

I guess in theory you could put together a tank with mysticism, parry, some necro for curse weapon, etc, but current content isn't really based upon encounters that require a tank.
Bad advice here. 120 chiv is pointless on a curse weapon caster, you drop from 20k karma to fast. Also feint does require bushido or ninjitsu, and that at 120 for maximum effect.

Original template is fine, he just needs 40 necro to keep curse weapon going and either 2fc or protection on to prevent to many disrupts.
No idea about how often the bard songs will get disrupted, probably better to just go for chain ai and tribulation running.
There is a video on youtube showing a disco whammy doing slasher very fast, but that method may not work anymore.

B

Bort of Atlantic

Bad advice here. 120 chiv is pointless on a curse weapon caster, you drop from 20k karma to fast. Also feint does require bushido or ninjitsu, and that at 120 for maximum effect.

Original template is fine, he just needs 40 necro to keep curse weapon going and either 2fc or protection on to prevent to many disrupts.
No idea about how often the bard songs will get disrupted, probably better to just go for chain ai and tribulation running.
There is a video on youtube showing a disco whammy doing slasher very fast, but that method may not work anymore.
Ah good point, forgot about the feint requirement. I'm still curious how it would go with 120 bushido as opposed to 120 chiv for example, but I guess in order to keep a bard mastery ability going, wraith is probably the way to go.

Edit: Located the video. It looks like the whammy uses 120 discord from items and then swaps gear after success. As far as I can tell, neither bard mastery is in use, though, so the OP could still try something different via doublestrike+mastery for example.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ah good point, forgot about the feint requirement. I'm still curious how it would go with 120 bushido as opposed to 120 chiv for example, but I guess in order to keep a bard mastery ability going, wraith is probably the way to go.

Edit: Located the video. It looks like the whammy uses 120 discord from items and then swaps gear after success. As far as I can tell, neither bard mastery is in use, though, so the OP could still try something different via doublestrike+mastery for example.
no mastery is being used there.

but there is a TONNE of pots being used, hahaha, crank up the volume and listen to the chugging!

T

tassloff

Was using search for bard/warrior template and found this threads ;)
About the video, the skills are
Fencing 120
Bushido 119.2
Tactics 115
SS 100
Disco 120
Music 112.8
Parry 65
Necro 40

Then after discoing, he swap the disco and music for 20 SS (120 SS)