• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Is there any point?

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even as a recently returned player after 3 years away, I know the general rule is to create exceptional, pof, imbue, enhance.

However!

Not being an artificer myself, and being a rather poor smith (with lots of vamp-samurai in need of fire resist) i was wondering two things. I was trying to craft an OK suit and then "iron out" any problems and perhaps add some extra stats through imbuing. I thought this may be a cheaper way to get an ok suit...?

I've made some arms from dragon scale with 25-30 resists which are medable.

Lets take say, one which is this:

exceptional
Self repair 5
resists 6/24/2/6/5 mage armour

and another:
exceptional
resists 3/27/2/6/20 not mage armour

Now, this high fire resist helps me with my low fire on RBC/storm grips.

How is imbuing affected by the fact that
a) the fire resist is very high
b) one is mage armour - does this contribute to weight? Is this also true to samurai expansion armour which is medable when created exceptionally?
c) one has self repair 5 - as this is removed upon imbuing, surely it cannot contribute to the property weight?

And finally, if i need to imbue some rings, how do you POF them first? Or as soon as you imbue them, do they become 255/255?

Sorry for stupid questions, but trying to make things easier for my artificer freind so that when we come to make some suits, i don't waste his time!

cheers Garm.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
afaik the rings once you imbue the first skill/effect on them, they get 255/255 automatically

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's jewelry you are imbuing it will automatically go to 255/255 but if it is armor or weapons then you need to powder up them prior to imbuing. I'm not sure about the self repair. I did one recently and if I recall it just treated it as though there was no weight but really I did not scrutinize it to be sure. Mage armor is considered and here is a table that tells you the weights of properties

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To figure out how enhanced items will contribute to the overall weight you would take the base resist and add 15. The weight after imbue then enhance is

weight=<resist value>/(base + 15)*100.

so dragon scale 3/27/2/6/20 would weigh (27/18+20/18)*100 = 261.1

Some things add as a property but may not contribute to a weight like lower requirements. The self repair is removed after imbuing and does not contribute to a weight. Any mage armor item will take a property slot and have the weight of 140. Leather is a free medable property.

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=30739

-Lorax

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW. Why do you need mage armor for the sampire? Are you running out of mana?

-Lorax
Nope and fair point, but i'm making pieces for an archer and a mage too.
I like to have medable armour if i can. Currently his isn't but.... seems silly not to if you can!

Can meditate by JOAT when ressed then before casting VE etc.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just realised mace and shield aren't medable either...DOH*

So maye i don't need medable...so to the oriignal point - will my runic armour mean it is harder to imbue/there are less imbue slots?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mace and shield, and any glasses, are medable. i just checked to make sure i wasn't totally missing that for all these years, but it makes sense. would be stupid to have some sets of glasses like wizards crystal be med and the others not be.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your runic armor is older than about 6 months, you cant imbue it (unless it was made with regular leather / iron...)
Basically, with imbuing some people will use a runic if they need to get a resist higher than allowed by imbuing (like if you want 25 fire resist instead of 19) Others might use a runics to get mods like mana regen, which is expensive to imbue, however, unless you get lucky, the resists will probably not come out in exactly the best combos. And the stuff you get with extra mods you dont want wont be useable. For any resist you want to raise, you want that resist to start out as low as possible. Like if you dont plan on imbuing fire resist, its best to use horned and make peices untill you get max or close to max in that resist, but if you do plan on imbuing fire up, you use barbed. I usually have to make at least a hundred pieces of gm armor (usually more) to find the base resists combo that will allow the most to be added to a piece. If your not imbuing resists, this of course doesnt matter.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mace and shield, and any glasses, are medable. i just checked to make sure i wasn't totally missing that for all these years, but it makes sense. would be stupid to have some sets of glasses like wizards crystal be med and the others not be.
Why do some reading glases have mage armour property then?

bonkers!

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your runic armor is older than about 6 months, you cant imbue it (unless it was made with regular leather / iron...)
Basically, with imbuing some people will use a runic if they need to get a resist higher than allowed by imbuing (like if you want 25 fire resist instead of 19) Others might use a runics to get mods like mana regen, which is expensive to imbue, however, unless you get lucky, the resists will probably not come out in exactly the best combos. And the stuff you get with extra mods you dont want wont be useable. For any resist you want to raise, you want that resist to start out as low as possible. Like if you dont plan on imbuing fire resist, its best to use horned and make peices untill you get max or close to max in that resist, but if you do plan on imbuing fire up, you use barbed. I usually have to make at least a hundred pieces of gm armor (usually more) to find the base resists combo that will allow the most to be added to a piece. If your not imbuing resists, this of course doesnt matter.
awesome, makes sense and confirms what i *thought* thanks :eek:)

So low level runics for less mods = better.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do some reading glases have mage armour property then?

bonkers!
I dont know, i was actually kinda worried as i started using mace and shield in one of my mage suits, but i tried it and i could actively meditate, was really worried about the passive bonus med armor gives tho. no idea why some would have mage armor tho. maybe the glasses used to be non-med but were changed?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
short answer, yes, low level runics are better. I usually make armor from scratch, just so i can get everything to match perfectly. but a spined kit can also work great for this, and you actually get 1 more resist.

For weapons, i usually use a shadow iron hammer, but could go up or down. I like to get 55 damage increase on alot of weapons, to save up jewl space, and it saves you having to use 10 crystal shards for that mods. essentially it works for any mod tho, just have to keep in mind what you want to add, like if there are too many mods Swing speed increase, which takes relic frags to add if i remember right, will be hard to add ( possibily of fail)

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
short answer, yes, low level runics are better. I usually make armor from scratch, just so i can get everything to match perfectly. but a spined kit can also work great for this, and you actually get 1 more resist.

For weapons, i usually use a shadow iron hammer, but could go up or down. I like to get 55 damage increase on alot of weapons, to save up jewl space, and it saves you having to use 10 crystal shards for that mods. essentially it works for any mod tho, just have to keep in mind what you want to add, like if there are too many mods Swing speed increase, which takes relic frags to add if i remember right, will be hard to add ( possibily of fail)
So what is best material to use for armor to get the most base resists if you don't care if it's meddable?

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what is best material to use for armor to get the most base resists if you don't care if it's meddable?
Probably heart/bloodwood.

Look on uo guide, it's written plain as day. I' link you but have to go.... out!

bye!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think that the usual route to all 70s is 5 Bloodwood pieces and 1 Frostwood piece (which also gives you 10 HP Regen automatically)., but I've never had a warrior elf to care about it all that much (nor the spare Taint to finish the partially made set I have).

You could go for Heartwood to try for some of the odd bonuses it gives, on the non-taint pieces, and make a bunch extra with the relatively cheap special resources they require, then use bloodwood annd/or frostwood on the taint-requiring pieces to try to get the resists to fall closer to your desire.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a piece recently with self repair and confirmrd it is removed and doesn't add weight at all or count to the items total number of properties.