• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there any direction to this game at all?

• Thread starter MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

MoonglowMerchant

At UO.com the last message from the "producer" is one year old. It is from a person who no longer works on the game.

Is that an aberration or a perfect statement about this game?

I really, really have no idea what direction we are headed.

I think there is some work being done on KR but I don't see many changes actually implemented. I wonder if they are still working on SA, a KR only expansion which IMO will halve UO's population.

I see a story arc which makes no sense to me and never has. I see more and more crud being handed out, so much useless crud that now we have a turn in where you get crud for crud.

Badly needed changes go ignored for entirely too long. Customer service is poor. Communication between the team "producing" the game and their customers is virtually non-existent.

But, you know all this so what is my point?

Could we please, please, please be told the truth?

I know it won't happen. But, boy it sure would be a nice change.

G

GAMBIT35

There are still some naive "fanboys" that believe that SA is gonna happen. Don't worry about KR, at this point they are only giving it token updates like they did for 3d before they chucked it.

R

RavenWinterHawk

At UO.com the last message from the "producer" is one year old. It is from a person who no longer works on the game.

Is that an aberration or a perfect statement about this game?

I really, really have no idea what direction we are headed.

I think there is some work being done on KR but I don't see many changes actually implemented. I wonder if they are still working on SA, a KR only expansion which IMO will halve UO's population.

I see a story arc which makes no sense to me and never has. I see more and more crud being handed out, so much useless crud that now we have a turn in where you get crud for crud.

Badly needed changes go ignored for entirely too long. Customer service is poor. Communication between the team "producing" the game and their customers is virtually non-existent.

But, you know all this so what is my point?

1. Improving KR
2. Vanguards advance and we choose sides.
3. Spring Cleaning.
4. Future Stygain Abyss.

It has direction.

Not necessarily what i want to see but its working.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they dev team hinted at the direction of UO with the changes in Doom. If you dont know what I'm talking about, go fight the Dark Father a few times... UO's direction will become crystal to you after a few minutes.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they dev team hinted at the direction of UO with the changes in Doom. If you dont know what I'm talking about, go fight the Dark Father a few times... UO's direction will become crystal to you after a few minutes.
I do the DF.... and I still don't see the clear direction.. enlighten us

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think people (seen a lot ask in various ways) need to find their own reasons to play. Anything else is just a stall.

R

RavenWinterHawk

1. Improving KR
2. Vanguards advance and we choose sides.
3. Spring Cleaning.
4. Future Stygain Abyss.

It has direction.

Not necessarily what i want to see but its working.
Certainly. Your post did seem pointless.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:sad4:

Why would they need direction for a game that's already been :gun:
down?

I'm serious; I heard this. I have inside information.

I'm sure you're all eager for the details on how I obtained this.

:popcorn:

But I am not going to give this to you. Instead, I am shortly going to put up a web site :link: with news and subscription numbers that I made up.....*coughs* I mean that my numerous, high-level inside sources gave me.

:thumbup1:

What I mean by that it's already shut down is this.....

Mythic is in a serious quandary with UO. They really hate it, and think it has many black eyes :gee: and is basically on life support :stretcher:, and they want to focus on Warhammer. However, it's also a revenue stream, so they decided on an elegant solution.

They have already removed Marc Jacobs's credit card information from the shoddy web hosting entity that hosted all of UO's major servers. Siege is on a different hosting entity, and they will shut down that one last. Within a month or two, this web hoster will notice that the credit card information is gone and will send Mr. Jacobs a few angry E-Mails. Eventually, they will restrict bandwidth and you'll start to experience lag

(OR ARE YOU ALREADY LAGGING????!!!!????!!!! SEE??!!!! PROOF!!!!! :sad3: :thumbup1:).

And then, eventually, all the servers will just vanish one by one when the hosting entity realizes that Mr. Jacobs ain't gonna pay up.

So you see, UO is already dead. It is just going to take awhile for the rest of us to notice it.

In the meanwhile, all of the money we give them is being earmarked for a dedicated, interest-bearing account. This account will be used to fund the last few steps in Warhammer's development.

The rest, if anything's left after Warhammer's done, will be used to buy Marc Jacobs secondary Conan Online and World of Warcraft accounts. (He needs more storage for his 55th level Horde mage, who has 300 Pendants of Forgotten Names alone, to say nothing of her, yes Mr. Jacobs plays a female Horde mage, Massacre Swords and the rest of her equipment.)

If anything's left after that, it will be used to buy Draconi a new USB graphics card, so that he can have dual monitor support and fully enjoy UO's final days.

Mr. Jacobs figures D's earned it.

So all of you who doubt this is accurate, inside information, show me a :link: that specifically says otherwise. Just show me the :link:. I dare you to find one that specifically contradicts me on a point-by-point basis.

Don't bother with the link where someone from Mythic says that UO is wildly profitable, we all know he was lying.

Sure, you can deny it, sure you can :sad2: and maybe even share a :grouphug:.

But that can't change the facts. And when I finally put up my website, you will know I'm right because I have put it up on the web. When you go to my site, btw, be sure to not deny permission to the "ACCOUNTSTEALER.EXE" Active X control, and to download the Windows Media player codecs so you can watch the Stygian Abyss videos I stole before they canceled the project.

So gear up some :popcorn: and get ready for UO's final days.

-Galen's player

S

Saris

Down the toilet would be my guess.

If Darkfall comes out as announced what is left of the PvPers will leave and this game will officially be dead.
I party agree with you but since I was there when it all started, PVM has always had more crowd than PVP alwaws will.

Darkfall has been in DEV for waht like 6 years, can you say VAPOR, beide most the old floks comps dont do the unreal engine.

F

Fayled Dhreams

so ... what do you not know ... since June 9 ?
Or is this one of the cycles of the "full circle"

Ya'll running out of ideas ? _____ apparently ____
"Could we please, please, please be told the truth?
I know it won't happen. But, boy it sure would be a nice change." ...

I'm just saying .... "I really, really have no idea what direction we are headed. "

MIGHT not BE a correctable situation ...
On the internets ...
for you.

<---- SnR

M

MoonglowMerchant

so ... what do you not know ... since June 9 ?
Or is this one of the cycles of the "full circle"

Ya'll running out of ideas ? _____ apparently ____
"Could we please, please, please be told the truth?
I know it won't happen. But, boy it sure would be a nice change." ...

I'm just saying .... "I really, really have no idea what direction we are headed. "

MIGHT not BE a correctable situation ...
On the internets ...
for you.

<---- SnR
There should be a board for unintelligible posts as well, then I could save time reading yours.

K

Kiminality

If Darkfall comes out as announced what is left of the PvPers will leave and this game will officially be dead.
This rarely happens... So, please take it to heart, when I say:
I Lol'd

Here's a question.
How come, if PvPers make up a significant enough portion of the player base, that their absense would kill the game... Why are there innumerable complaints about the emptiness of fell, and the otherwise lack of decent PvP?
rolleyes:

With all sincerity, while I would love DF to succeed, it will have more issues than UO ever has.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Lol'd
Not a chance in hell

Here's a question.
How come, if PvPers make up a significant enough portion of the player base, that their absense would kill the game... Why are there innumerable complaints about the emptiness of fell, and the otherwise lack of decent PvP?
You obviously don't pvp so I'm not going to waste my time explaining anything to you.

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I imagine the next step is to see a brand new post by the 'producer' encouraging everyone and promising plans they cannot name moving forward... about 2 weeks before they close it down.

Go take a peek at the TSO news to see the process on how they handle these things.

~Rak

H

Hunters Moon

I Lol'd
Not a chance in hell

Here's a question.
You obviously don't pvp so I'm not going to waste my time explaining anything to you.
Haha I love this. If we don't agree with what you think or say,that must mean we don't PvP like you do or as well as you do.Thats classic.....

K

Kiminality

I Lol'd
Not a chance in hell

Here's a question.
In translation: "I want the last word, in any disagreement, but don't really have an argument"
If you have any evidence that I don't PvP, then I'd very much like you to present it.
Who needs to PvP, anyway?
You all spend as much time on here, ranting and complaining, as you do playing the game.

Ever tried reading about the PvP issues in other games?
Ever considered how those would play out in Darkfall?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this where I point out that "down" is, indeed, still a direction? ;)

Honestly though... okay, I'll give the Devs some credit for reaching into Ultima Lore and trying to do some more by the way of content.

Unfortunately, by and large, they're not implementing it well, and the fiction itself remains largely outside of the game.

G

galefan2004

The truth is they are required to tell us 30 days before they end the game that the game is ending. Until that post is made then expect to be playing 30 days from now.

G

galefan2004

Yes because we all know its the PvPers that are keeping this game going. If all the PvPers left for Darkfall, most likely they would just move champion spawns to Trammel and shut down Felucca. That would allow them to save all kind of resources they are currently burning to keep Felucca running. They might combine some servers, but I doubt they would shut the game down right away.

I love how you say "if" Darkfall comes out because its only been in development since 2001 and still isn't even in a beta.

G

galefan2004

They have already removed Marc Jacobs's credit card information from the shoddy web hosting entity that hosted all of UO's major servers. Siege is on a different hosting entity, and they will shut down that one last. Within a month or two, this web hoster will notice that the credit card information is gone and will send Mr. Jacobs a few angry E-Mails. Eventually, they will restrict bandwidth and you'll start to experience lag
I'm sure that the server space is being paid for with a credit card. Thats how all companies handle their payments. Someone really should point out to that large companies have accounts with people they are consumers of...they don't use credit cards.

And then, eventually, all the servers will just vanish one by one when the hosting entity realizes that Mr. Jacobs ain't gonna pay up.

So you see, UO is already dead. It is just going to take awhile for the rest of us to notice it.
They are REQUIRED to inform us 30 days before they are shutting down the servers that they are shutting down the servers. This is to avoid overpayments.

In the meanwhile, all of the money we give them is being earmarked for a dedicated, interest-bearing account. This account will be used to fund the last few steps in Warhammer's development.
What you are eluding to would be illegal. They can't take our money and earmark it for anything we didn't give them consent to earmark it for. Doing so would be illegal.

The rest, if anything's left after Warhammer's done, will be used to buy Marc Jacobs secondary Conan Online and World of Warcraft accounts. (He needs more storage for his 55th level Horde mage, who has 300 Pendants of Forgotten Names alone, to say nothing of her, yes Mr. Jacobs plays a female Horde mage, Massacre Swords and the rest of her equipment.)
You run the gambit of insanely stupid items with this post. One comes from Naxx (which you can't even get into at 55) and the other is a green item. Besides why would he play a 55...its more likely he'd play a 59.

If anything's left after that, it will be used to buy Draconi a new USB graphics card, so that he can have dual monitor support and fully enjoy UO's final days.
You don't need a USB graphics card for dual monitor support.

So all of you who doubt this is accurate, inside information, show me a :link: that specifically says otherwise. Just show me the :link:. I dare you to find one that specifically contradicts me on a point-by-point basis.
You want us to find a link that will completely debunk the trash you are spewing on a point by point basis? Seeing all of the points are completely bogus that would be impossible to do.

Don't bother with the link where someone from Mythic says that UO is wildly profitable, we all know he was lying.
They have to notify us 30 days before they close the servers that they are closing the servers. That doesn't mean that they can't do that tomorrow and then the servers will shut down 30 days from then, but until they do this I still have 30 more days to feed my addiction.

But that can't change the facts. And when I finally put up my website, you will know I'm right because I have put it up on the web. When you go to my site, btw, be sure to not deny permission to the "ACCOUNTSTEALER.EXE" Active X control, and to download the Windows Media player codecs so you can watch the Stygian Abyss videos I stole before they canceled the project.

So gear up some :popcorn: and get ready for UO's final days.

-Galen's player
I know this is sarcasm. I also know this is in very poor taste. There is no reason for you to post this (even if it is sarcasm).

G

galefan2004

The poster does not need to PvP to be right. I highly doubt the majority of the PvP player base will go to Darkfall, and I highly doubt their abscence will actually be felt. SP and Felucca are ghost lands. Most of the people that are more into PvP content have moved on to find it in other games (with more ballanced PvP) already.

G

galefan2004

If that's the direction they are taking, this is the direction I am taking...
------------------------------> EXIT
Its the direction they have taken for the last 8 years...leave already.

S

soulshiver

Quite honestly I think it's the players that limit this games future potential. Believe it or not this is one of the most outspoken games when it comes to MMos. I've played many many MMOs and none compare to the playerbase here when it comes to voicing their opinions, I honestly think EA is too fearfull of changing the dynamics of this game of what it may bring from the playerbase. They are indeed one of the oldest MMOs and most unique, so they need to fit a niche but at the same time are constantly baraged by the playerbase from all fronts no matter what they do. If they felt less threatened they could indeed take what the backend of this game hold and turn it into a modern display MMO, but I just think they feel threatened to change the graphics/display style out of both nastalgia and because most of the players left in this world just wont have it. You need to just relax and let what happens happen most MMOs nowadays are run by big coporations that care little for the players personally and care more for the money, it seems to me that EA is actually catering to your personal desires in what you wnat in an MMO than what your money is paying for.