• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there a new game in the works from the makers of UO?

ImaNoobieToo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was talk years ago about UO2 which ultimately never saw the light of day instead we get upgrades to the current game. Would be nice to have a whole new play field without the hacks, duping and a system where players have more options for trading.

[RANT]Year after year there is a mysterious dupe and the vendors that get stocked non-stop with "rares" and consumables like runics. once in awhile one gets banned like UOWoman and the burning houses... They put a scarecrow saying "effigy of a traitor" which may have meant that "they" banned a duper to some of you to me I read into that as "one of their dupers/distributors got over zealous and was dealt with... again".[/RANT]

Anyway in the old days of UO the game was more fun... What we have now is balance and a trammal ruleset with a never ending series of pay to play upgrades =< Who wants to start over assuming the price was right?

ProZac

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly there are too many "makers of UO" at this point to really be able to follow them. Origin would be the original makers, but that company is long gone, and todays UO is far from the original. Richard Garriott would be the closest you could get to the original maker, but he's only made one MMO since UO and it was a complete flop. Don't think there are plans for more.

C

canary

Well, NetDragon has a new UO in the works for 2011. I'm curious if they'll keep the property for the Asian market and then license the new client/ game to Mythic to use in other markets.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly there are too many "makers of UO" at this point to really be able to follow them. Origin would be the original makers, but that company is long gone, and todays UO is far from the original. Richard Garriott would be the closest you could get to the original maker, but he's only made one MMO since UO and it was a complete flop. Don't think there are plans for more.
EA owned Origin at the time of UO's creation. EA made UO.

ProZac

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA owned Origin at the time of UO's creation. EA made UO.
You're right - I stand corrected.

I was always under the impression that Origin Systems Inc (OSI) was independent when they created UO and became over their heads and sold to EA. Not sure where I got that idea seeing as they had been under EA since 1992. I guess Richard Garriott and crew leaving the team is when the game started to take a hit.

Another interesting thing I found researching is that the lead designer behind AoS, Tom "Kalgan" Chilton is the same guy who now designed/leads WoW's pvp spectrum. Two huge failures imo...