• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Carpentry] Is there a chart for GM'ing Carpentry, someplace?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I KNOW I had small collection of crafter skill building charts someplace... but then I moved... and so much is missing and in boxes. Goodness knows I've built at least 2 carpenters, if not 3... but I need to make a super crafter out of one of my general crafters so she can make cannons.

Have a big load of 60k deeded normal boards... and she can make her own GM tools. :)

Help please?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's this in the Data Chest subforum. However, it is geared to reducing waste while gaining more than simply most efficient gains. For example, the method for carpentry suggested is geared to allow you to do Heartwood quests for recipes and donate items to various collections in the library in order to empty your pack, rather than just dropping stuff into the trash.

Skill Gain Guides for crafting skills (updated for Stygian Abyss)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you.

The trouble is the link inside that URL is broken/missing... or whatever.

"The page you are seeking has been updated and replaced, please follow this link. to the new home of all uo.stratics pages."

Shame it doesnt have the carpentry list along with the others on that first page.

Seeing we have the clean up system of today... all you have to do is drop in the bin... its far easier then axing everything or just filling and dropping a bag full of goods then moving on to the next. Either way, I dont want to add complications to the process. :) I'm sure you understand.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, when they decided to go to wiki stuff (that's still not done) the non-wiki items got moved to a slightly different address - but most of the older FAQs should be in either somewhere in this forum or in the data chest sub-forum.

I personally find the near-nothing you get for trashing crafted stuff to be an insult. If I can craft something for training and get more than a fraction of a point for it, I will. All it costs you, once you have the quest done for the library, is a couple of recalls to empty the bag, and you get hundreds of gold's worth of points for each item donated (1 point costs 15 gold if you buy the points). I've got three hundred thousand unused clean-up points as it is, from doing T-maps and SOS, after spending several hundred thousand more. I've gotten to where most of my training left on a few crafters (that are BOD runners) is solely from crafting to fill BODs. I've trained 5 Tailors and 6 Smiths to 120 mostly from filling BODs (and the only reason 100-110 on one character and 110-120 on another weren't from BODs was that I was testing resource consumption for a FAQ at the time). I've trained 2 Tinkers, a cook, and an alchemist using just BOD filling since those BODs were added.

The only things worth trashing are normal items made out of colored materials, after filling a BOD that required exceptional.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crystal ball of Knowledge and this page UO Stratics - Carpentry look more at the weps at the bottom of the page and if I remember try making stuff at %50-60 and DO NOT wear anything that boosts your chances. Also if you have soul stones try to get rid of as many unneeded skills as possible, the lower your total skills the better you gain.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Olden days...

When we have "Power Hour"... it was a struggle to get the boards stacked up and loaded to work the skill the next day. Fill a bag, drop the bag, fill the bag, drop the bag... and so on, till the hour was over. Then pack the rubbish to an NPC and sell it. It wasnt worth the bother when you look at "today's money", but back then every piece of gold counted. :)

Just wish I could remember where I got those charts originally. Was such a long time ago. Maybe have 2 Carpenters in total, currently... with the one on the way. Starter skill, bought from the NPC, so barrel staves and barrel lids are stackable now and I never have enough. SO, there is zero waste at this level, but the skill gains will quit after awhile. I know staffs end up being the higher skills. You see bags of these around the banks even to this day.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At least the staff types have BODs now, too. So, you can fill a BOD for them, turn it in, and get a 250 use tool back as a reward for more training.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She has had GM tinkering for at least 7 years. :)

What are nice... those new vet reward deals... that allow you to add several tools to boost use numbers so you dont have to worry about stopping to make new tools every so often. I got an Alchemist Table (or whatever it was) to see how it worked... and soon figured it out. Besides, I was making LOADS of potions in the past to grow plants. No matter how sad the tools, they all add up in the table, so good stuff. Outside the Alch. table... I personally dont need the others. They are SO big... and I have no plans on upgrading my work space. I dont have 3 billion for a keep. hehe. Would be nice! :) BUT... potions stack and it would be an amazing effort to have a 60k stack and need more then 1 stack per potion. Besides that, I used to try and sell potions (full kegs) and NOW I'm seeing sales. After all these years. Nothing else stacks like that (of any good use). Seeing my main consideration is vendor stocking? I would LOVE it if we could stack kegs. (Empty). Or crates. Or anything that commonly sells. Just not the case. The biggest use of most of these tables is skill building. And thats... 7 year reward? Big money for something you'll only use to build skill, really.

I found a part list, skill build... carpentry. Or, at least testing... what's working for me.

Barrel Staves... till they stop gaining.

Med crates... till 50.0%.

Now off to ballet boxes... until they quit.

Wooden Shields.

Quarter Staff.

Gnarled Staff till GM.