• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Is the fear of not being able to speak your mind ruining the community?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never did understand why we dont have a sticky to out scammers. Especially with the rares trade i see no reason why scammers would be protected by "the rules" or should be. Was it the original intentions of stratics to protect scammers with these rules?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course, no hard feelings! If I had the time, I would volunteer again for you guys. I understand the no name rule and I can see both sides. The locking threads instead of removing and then when the users resurfaced telling people to make sure they always check a user's history before doing deals... that helped quite a few people avoid issues. I know I was really "passionate" about my positions and probably an absolute butthead to handle sometimes. Thanks for always letting me argue my points. :grouphug:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never did understand why we dont have a sticky to out scammers. Especially with the rares trade i see no reason why scammers would be protected by "the rules" or should be. Was it the original intentions of stratics to protect scammers with these rules?
They are not protecting the scammers they are protecting you, and others. Scammers sometimes use player characters names to tarnish their reputations. If I made a character named Smoot went around scamming others, and one of them came here posted you were a scammer I really don't think you would be happy I know I wouldn't be.
Good thing though you are able to post that someone is going around being a poser using the Smoot name trying to tarnish your reputation, and post how others know its you.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I get your point... But how to prove someone scammed? If its a public auction or offer to buy, and someone Welches, thats easy to see. But if someone scams, esp if both parties are well known, how would you prove it?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course, no hard feelings! If I had the time, I would volunteer again for you guys. I understand the no name rule and I can see both sides. The locking threads instead of removing and then when the users resurfaced telling people to make sure they always check a user's history before doing deals... that helped quite a few people avoid issues. I know I was really "passionate" about my positions and probably an absolute butthead to handle sometimes. Thanks for always letting me argue my points. :grouphug:
Thank you Assia we all still miss you :) you were such a great mod and continue to be one of the most helpful players on this forum

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get your point... But how to prove someone scammed? If its a public auction or offer to buy, and someone Welches, thats easy to see. But if someone scams, esp if both parties are well known, how would you prove it?
Your right its a fine line, and like Assia said there are ways to accomodate. The rules should be a base not an absolute.

For example, last raresfest the big bidder who didnt pay (i never did find out if he/she was total fake of just a "real" bidder who spent way more than they had)
We werent allowed to even name the character name. All posts with the name in it were removed, Including the actual winners list. I dont see why if someone doesnt pay, you can just put "failed to pay"

Nabin does this in his auctions, and also publicly bans the players from future auctions. Its allowed. I dont see what the difference was in the case of the past rares fest. Or what the harm of listing non-payers as non-payers.

I suppose scammers are harder to prove than "non-payers" but even non-payers the mods have been quick to protect their in games names over the last months.

Just saying that simply because its in the ToS doesnt mean it has to be enforced every single time at every minor occurrence that gets close, or a mod thinks is getting close to a violation.

Theres items on the Rares Forums right now that arent event technically allowed to be there. I dont see much harm in it tho.

Remember slavery was even legal in Mississippi until 2013. Were those laws enforced? No.

Just because somethings "on the books" or in the ToS doesnt mean it has to be enforced every single time. Its just something the mods have to fall back on if something gets out of hand.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some years ago someone made a script miner and named it Petra Fyde. He even put 'cast incognito' in his script. Everyone knows I don't cheat. So when someone saw this character I was called out on Europa forum as a cheat, a liar and a hypocrite. It hurt. Reputations are hard to earn and very easy to destroy. There was no moderator on the forum at that time.
I knew someone had a neighbour accidentally put an axe through his internet cable. As a result he was unable to make an arranged meet to complete a trade. He was offline for over a week, by the time he got back he had been labelled 'scammer' by the person he should have traded with.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Very true; back at Christmas, while I was doing all the toy soldier collection and transfers, I lost power for a week due to the ice storms in Toronto. Luckily I was able to power my phone from my car, to get ICQ access and get the word out that I couldn't be online. However, had that not worked, I'd have essentially disappeared for a week, with 70 or 80 people's toys from every shard; I could easily imagine how that could have turned out differently for my reputation by the time I had power and internet back.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have been away for most of the day. I was able to at least read this thread though the day with my phone. *squints*

I can lighten up. I will. I may even ask a stupid question now and then.

I am not going anywhere, let's try to get along. :cool:

Olive Oyle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Very true; back at Christmas, while I was doing all the toy soldier collection and transfers, I lost power for a week due to the ice storms in Toronto. Luckily I was able to power my phone from my car, to get ICQ access and get the word out that I couldn't be online. However, had that not worked, I'd have essentially disappeared for a week, with 70 or 80 people's toys from every shard; I could easily imagine how that could have turned out differently for my reputation by the time I had power and internet back.
Brian,

That's why I also have a LapTop - use my Mobile Phone as WiFi hotspot so I can still play :) (as both can be powered/recharged by my car)

Olive Oyle