• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[BUG] is spell queuing last target with a mouse wheel fixed yet?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is that fixed in the enhanced client yet? i'd rather not re-dl the client just to see if it is fixed.

Thanks in advance.

**** im talking about how you can't chain 2 spells, exp fs, weaken weaken, ma fireball, etc when using the last target of a mouse wheel.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't been able to reproduce this.

I set my "Mouse Wheel Down" to "Cursor Target Last" and roll the mouse continuously while casting the spells in succession. I tried the following combos and they work fine for me.

Explosion -> Flamestrike
Flamestrike -> Evil Omen

If this is not what you mean, please be as detailed as possible with the steps to reproduce this.

The other thing I can suggest is trying out the new "Cursor Target Queuing" option located in the Options tab of the User Settings. If you call up a "Cursor Target Last" action while the spell is being casted, it will automatically fire as soon as the spell asks for a target.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I set my "Mouse Wheel Down" to "Cursor Target Last" and roll the mouse continuously while casting the spells in succession. I tried the following combos and they work fine for me.

Explosion -> Flamestrike
Flamestrike -> Evil Omen

If this is not what you mean, please be as detailed as possible with the steps to reproduce this.

The other thing I can suggest is trying out the new "Cursor Target Queuing" option located in the Options tab of the User Settings. If you call up a "Cursor Target Last" action while the spell is being casted, it will automatically fire as soon as the spell asks for a target.
ok thanks i'll check it out. if im still having the issue should i post in the forum or pm you with steps to create this?

D

Der Rock

can someone pls explain what this detailed mean:

in action window:-cycle last cursor target

in settingsoptions -cursor target queuing

maybe in german :) or as simple as possible in english :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It allows you to Que a target before the targeting cross hairs appear (have not used it yet) basically makes the action more fluid and faster! (at least thats my understanding)

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cycle Last Cursor Target
Also known as 'TargetNext' in the Classic Client.

Changes to the next target for 'Cursor Target Last' and 'Attack Last Cursor Target' (also known as 'LastTarget' and 'AttackLast' in the Classic Client, respectively).

Example:
1. Person A and Person B are in range.
2. You cast Fireball and target Person A.
3. Person A is now the last target and has a mini-healthbar underneath.
4. Cast Fireball again.
5. Use 'Cursor Target Last'. It will hit Person A.
6. Now use 'Cycle Last Cursor Target'.
7. Person B is now the last target and has a mini-healthbar underneath.
8. Cast Fireball.
9. Use 'Cursor Target Last'. It will hit Person B.

Cursor Target Queuing
Lets you set a cursor target before a target is needed.

Example:
1. Person A is in range.
2. Cast Fireball and target Person A.
4. Use 'Cursor Target Last'.
5. You will see "Target queued." in the Chat Window.
6. Cast Fireball.
7. It will automatically target Person A when Fireball is ready for a target.

To cancel a queued target before the spell is ready, use "Clear Target Queue" which is available in the mouse wheel setup, key bindings, and macro actions.

D

Der Rock

Cycle Last Cursor Target
Also known as 'TargetNext' in the Classic Client.

Changes to the next target for 'Cursor Target Last' and 'Attack Last Cursor Target' (also known as 'LastTarget' and 'AttackLast' in the Classic Client, respectively).

Example:
1. Person A and Person B are in range.
2. You cast Fireball and target Person A.
4. Cast Fireball again.
5. Use 'Cursor Target Last'. It will hit Person A.
6. Now use 'Cycle Last Cursor Target'.
7. Person B is now the last target and has a mini-healthbar underneath.
8. Cast Fireball.
9. Use 'Cursor Target Last'. It will hit Person B.

Cursor Target Queuing
Lets you set a cursor target before a target is needed.

Example:
1. Person A is in range.
2. Cast Fireball and target Person A.
4. Use 'Cursor Target Last'.
5. You will see "Target queued." in the Chat Window.
6. Cast Fireball.
7. It will automatically target Person A when Fireball is ready for a target.

To cancel a queued target before the spell is ready, use "Clear Target Queue" which is available in the mouse wheel setup, key bindings, and macro actions.
thx...so far so good...
are these actions more helpfull for EC-players with using legacy options ?
why should i use "Cursor Target Queuing" if i can set the spell icon direct to target current or stored and use "target nearest" action ?

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, it's mostly for players who prefer to target with the cursor.

It's also possible to use both targeting systems together, but it would require a lot of coordination. You can use Enhanced Targeting (target current or stored) for one thing and Cycle Last Cursor Target for changing cursor targets of another thing. At this point, you are managing two different targets.

D

Der Rock

Yeah, it's mostly for players who prefer to target with the cursor.

It's also possible to use both targeting systems together, but it would require a lot of coordination. You can use Enhanced Targeting (target current or stored) for one thing and Cycle Last Cursor Target for changing cursor targets of another thing. At this point, you are managing two different targets.
thx for the answers bteng...
i would suggest (if possible) the action-icons should be splitted in 2 folders...
default EC using and (classic)legacy EC using... i think many players are confused wich action icon should be used or not.
another example is the bandage self icon... totaly needless for EC user because of the simply put bandages in a hotbar and set self current or stored....

thx...;)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem i was able to duplicate with legacy targeting turned on.

What it does is, say iw ant to cast magic arrow fireball.

If i cast magic arrow, hit cursor last target on mouse wheel, pause a moment, and then hit fireball, cursor last target. both cast fine.

but say i do not pause, i cast magic arrow, cursor last target on mouse wheel, and then immediately cast fireball. Nothing casts. if i do this with a key, instead of the mouse wheel, it works properly.

That being said, i did try to regular targeting, and i cannot figure out how to have the regular targeting give me a cursor mid "fight"

say im attacking someone, i cast on them, and then i do not have to keep hitting the last target button, it just keeps automatically casting on them. Great, but then i want to cast a field on the ground, or cast on a different target, can i not just get a cursor? in this case do i have to then hit my clear target queue macro, before then casting on a different target?

In pvp this would just take to long, as things need to be just about instantaneous at times. If there is a way to always cast, get a cursor, and hit last target on my mouse wheel (just like it is in 2d) then let me know, as im not sure what im doing lol. But keep in mind, if there is, it may do the same thing as before. It is almost like "overcasting" a spell, or casting another spell too quickly, but the pause between spells takes a very long time compared to its 2d counterpart.

I could just stick with 2d for pvp as i have up to this point, but i want to give this client a shot, and my main reason for playing uo is pvp with a mage.

EDIT: To attempt to elaborate more on it, since the new targeting system does not appear to have the function that i'd like it to do, do this to duplicate it with legacy targeting on)

Set a mouse wheel function for cursor Target Last

make a macro for weaken

Cast weaken and target someone/something

now attempt to chain cast weaken on it using the mouse wheel for last target. It should go -cast weaken-get target-immediatly hit last target wheel. Occassionally you will be able to cast and target 2 times in a row, but most of the time, unless you pause for a moment, it is cast target cast cast target cast cast target cast cast target cast target cast cast target.
Hopefully that makes sense

Now, make a macro with Cursor Target Last, but assign it to a key on the keyboard.

Repeat casting weaken, then targeting with the key for last target

You will see that every time you will successfully be able to cast, which brings up the cursor, and immediately hit your key for target last.

Which ends up looking like:

cast target cast target cast target cast target cast target cast target (with the spell argeting them every time)

Versus this:

cast target cast cast target cast cast target cast cast target cast target cast cast target.

Very big difference imo. Especially in pvp.

If you need more information form me let me know, if you still cannot duplicate it maybe we can get together and i can show you somehow.

D

Der Rock

That being said, i did try to regular targeting, and i cannot figure out how to have the regular targeting give me a cursor mid "fight"
say im attacking someone, i cast on them, and then i do not have to keep hitting the last target button, it just keeps automatically casting on them. Great, but then i want to cast a field on the ground, or cast on a different target, can i not just get a cursor? in this case do i have to then hit my clear target queue macro, before then casting on a different target?

in the EC default this is very simple i think.

Target A :target nearest / spell(set to current)
Target B :target next / spell(set to current)

field spell (set to cursor)

in default EC check all spells about self/cursor/current/ or stored

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see. You mean it's the casting of the second spell that's not coming out properly. I'll do some in-depth testing when I'm back in the office on Monday, but to answer your other question, you can set any spell on the hotbar to use cursor targeting by right-clicking on the spell on the hotbar, going to Target, and picking Cursor. Also, if you have a spell set to Target:Current and you are not targeting anything (the golden ring spinning around the mob's feet), it will cursor target. If you are targeting something and you don't want to target it any longer, you can press Esc.

My typical set-up when I'm fighting is to set my Mouse Wheel Up to Target Previous Enemy and my Mouse Wheel Down to Target Next Enemy. That way I can roll the wheel any direction I want to get the target I want to cast on, then get to business. I also got one of my side mouse buttons (mouse 4 or mouse 5?) set to Target Nearest Mobile for those times when I just want to get the closest thing to me. That's just my personal playstyle, though. Everyone probably has something unique.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My typical set-up when I'm fighting is to set my Mouse Wheel Up to Target Previous Enemy and my Mouse Wheel Down to Target Next Enemy. That way I can roll the wheel any direction I want to get the target I want to cast on, then get to business. I also got one of my side mouse buttons (mouse 4 or mouse 5?) set to Target Nearest Mobile for those times when I just want to get the closest thing to me. That's just my personal playstyle, though. Everyone probably has something unique.
Not a bad setup. In this case, what would you do if inbetwen casting on the enemies, you wanted to lay a field, or you cast to heal yourself. Thinking about your hotbar thing, is there a way to make specifc spells only bring up cursor, some spells always target last enemy, etc, and then some spells target self (or bring up cursor so then u hit target self macro)??

EDIT:

just a note. i just setup my mouse wheel like yours with target last and target next. It seemed to be working ok, i was casting on a wandering healer. Here was the chain of events

I cast a weaken spam on the healer, it seemed ok, i then did magic arrow and fireball, the firreball didn't go off. im like hmm. tried again, same thing. i ran away to heal. i came back to chain some spells again and it was not auto casting, the cursor was comming like like i would of originally wanted it (like in legacy casting) but either way the casting "over cast for lack of a better term" was there both ways this time.

Thanks for checking into this for me, i'll wait to hear what you come up with when you test it. its not detrimental to me as i play in 2d right now, but at some point i would like to try to make the switch over (and i know alot of pvpers would like to atleast attempt it) I began thinking about this again because two guildmates were talking about how it didn't seem to be working right for them, i told them what i had happen with casting, and they said they had the same problem.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
in the EC default this is very simple i think.

Target A :target nearest / spell(set to current)
Target B :target next / spell(set to current)

field spell (set to cursor)

in default EC check all spells about self/cursor/current/ or stored
Hmm, i'll play around with it more today, i guess i didn't realize you could setup different spells to use different targeting

I tried this just now, i see what you are tlaking about with it now

C

Cloak&Dagger

Cetric BTeng just explained that if you have the spell set to a hotbar you can right click it scroll down to where it says "target" and then set the target to "cursor" instead of current. If you have the spell set up as a macro, you can do the same in the macro setting.

For example Hotbar 1 position 1 has fireball on it, you currently have it set to "target:Current", let us assume you have Hotbar 1 position 1 assigned to the F key, when you hit the f key the spell will cast, if you have a target currently (the golden circle under the mob or player) it will cast on that target. Now lets say Hotbar 2 Position 5 you have Firefield, if you right click this spell one of the options is "target" if you highlight that another field appears and you can select "cursor" so that when you hit (lets say the D key) it will cast the spell and then bring up the targeting cursor.

Edit: Wow it I left for almost 2 hours?.......I walked away with my response typed but must have forgotten to hit the submit button or something.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had some time to do some testing this morning. My steps were:

1. Set Mouse Wheel Down to "Cursor Target Last"
2. Set a mob to my last target.
3. Cast Explosion.
4. Mouse Wheel Down once.
5. Cast Flamestrike.

In this case, Explosion hits the mob and Flamestrike casts fine with no issues.

Now if I do:

3. Cast Explosion.
4. Mouse Wheel Down a lot.
5. Cast Flamestrike.

In this case, Explosion hits the mob and I see the power words for Flamestrike, but there is no casting action.

So yeah, this is definitely something going on. I'll see why this is happening.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've had some time to do some testing this morning. My steps were:

3. Cast Explosion.
4. Mouse Wheel Down once.
5. Cast Flamestrike.

In this case, Explosion hits the mob and Flamestrike casts fine with no issues.

Now if I do:

3. Cast Explosion.
4. Mouse Wheel Down a lot.
5. Cast Flamestrike.

In this case, Explosion hits the mob and I see the power words for Flamestrike, but there is no casting action.

So yeah, this is definitely something going on. I'll see why this is happening.

Nice, so it was the "spamming" of cursor target last with the mouse wheel. i'm happy you were able to recreate it!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My typical set-up when I'm fighting is to set my Mouse Wheel Up to Target Previous Enemy and my Mouse Wheel Down to Target Next Enemy. That way I can roll the wheel any direction I want to get the target I want to cast on, then get to business.
I do the same exact thing! Plus, I put the zoom in/out on the page up/down.

I also got one of my side mouse buttons (mouse 4 or mouse 5?) set to Target Nearest Mobile for those times when I just want to get the closest thing to me. That's just my personal playstyle, though. Everyone probably has something unique.
I have cure pot/heal pot on my thumbs but I like your idea there.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One annoying thing with TARGET>CURRENT is that if the person runs off the screen in mid flamestrike (since it takes a while), then I don't get the cursor. My flamestrike cancels.
Is it too overpowering if we got the cursor when the target goes out of range? That way I could just use my "cursor target current" key when he comes back in screen.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is still not working as we have spoken about with the mouse wheel, just updated my EC and tried it yesterday.

J

[JD]

Explosion -> Flamestrike
Flamestrike -> Evil Omen

im having this issue with scroll wheel up. but not with queueing, with cursor target current.

main menu > user settings > input > scroll wheel up

if i set it as 'cursor target current', its fine for the duration of my play. if i log out or close the client, it resets to something like zoom in. hugely annoying.

easily repeatable