• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is scrolling pets really worth it ?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With the insultingly high price of scrolls lately, is it really worth it ? Like others I used up all of the 120s I had which are lost now with the changes. Would there really be that much noticeable difference with just the numbers they're born with ?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can't speak for all the types of pets but for the Cu and Naja.. yes. At 120 Wrestle there is a very noticeable difference in landed hits versus 100. The same holds true for the number of parried blows at 120 compared to GM.

But, it is not like you have to scroll them up right now.. you can always leave the points for the scrolls and add them as you snag them at spawns or once the high demand cools down some.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've just been training them up to the end and leaving the final bunch of points on sticking them in the stable.

With the insultingly high price of scrolls lately, is it really worth it ? Like others I used up all of the 120s I had which are lost now with the changes. Would there really be that much noticeable difference with just the numbers they're born with ?
Yeah, there is a huge difference in the amount of hit/miss between GM and Legendary. While it's not absolutely necessary it does make your life easier. The difference isn't as crucial as say a Sampire who only has so much HP and needs hits to stay alive since pets have essentially 8x more HP than a player. You can use that HP buffer to vet/heal. That's my thoughts on it atleast.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would say it depends what the pet is intended to fight. If your pet isn't meant for top end boss fights you might not notice much difference between 110/115 and 120 for things like hit chance or defense chance. For damage modifiers like anatomy/tactics/etc I would say you can easily get by with 110/115.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have made a lot of fully trained unscrolled pets that do just fine for most things including many of the bosses and a few of the spawns. Gotta keep in mind that a few months ago these pets were largely useless in PvM. Just by buffing their resist, regens and giving them a school of magic and spec move they are pretty much all very useful. The little bit of time I have to play now days I have been doing Level 6 maps with a unscrolled giant beetle and he does just fine with most of the map spawn. Take a lesser or full hiryu with 108 post tame wrestle and they do fine although the 120 bushi and parry on them is very much worthwhile, Rune beetles with 120+ poisoning and rune corruption fine without scrolls. My spell weaving reptalon has only a 120 focuc/med/ SW and drops massive WOD and still hits melee attacks just a few % HCI and DI less. Unless you are soloing the very top end stuff I really can't see the value in putting 200mil - 500mil of prodo scrolls on a pet on the flip side if you are anti social go it alone type then yeah it is worth the investment....... Particularly in the spawns where you want to get in collect yer scrolls and get out. Basically comes down to most people are going to scroll up and few select pets and some people are going scrolls up a lot of pets. Even though I am selling some pets for as much as 600mil fully trained and scrolled on prodo I think the people paying that much for them have more money than good sense. But when I see someone pay 60mil for a parry scroll I think the same thing as well.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i can't see the price of the scrolls dropping, the more experienced i'm becoming with this pet training, more pets i want to train and try different specials etc, i'm sure i'm not the only one. I used to trash 120 wrestling scrolls for cleanup points as they were literally worthless before, hit the jackpot when i searched through a powerscroll book i had laying about, suggest others do the same.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the main benefits of the greater dragon was that several of its skills could go over 100. Since most of the post-Shame loot creatures have over 100 wrestling--some near 140, at that--it is beneficial to scroll for many of the higher end creatures. The trade-off, however, is max hit points.

Pet combat is generally the same, hit chance wise, as player combat.

100 wrestling vs. 100 wrestling will give you a 50/50 chance to hit and be hit
100 wrestling vs. 120 wrestling gives you a 42%/58%
100 wrestling vs. 140 wrestling gives you 37%/66%
120 wrestling vs. 140 wrestling gives you 43%/57%

That said, if a monster with 140 wrestle has 50 DPS and your 100 wrestle pet has 1,000 hit points, it will die in about 27 hits. If a monster with 140 wrestle has 50 DPS and your 120 wrestle pet has 800 hit points, it will die in about 23 hits.

I am distracted by dinner time but I think those numbers are right, haha.

Hm. So I am not sure, haha. I'll have to look at it some more on my end ;P.

Edit: I suppose a tank with 1,000 hit points does not necessarily need max skills, although, for best DPS, 120 wrestling and other skills--especially tactics--provides the best output. The ideal DPS would be max STR/WRES/ANAT/TACT/STAM/DEX, at the least, since casting is inconsistent, although max mana regen is great, too, for keeping specials going.

Last edited:

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Curious does any one know the percentage for parry for 100 vs. 120 for pets? and is it same for pet's as char's?

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That said, if a monster with 140 wrestle has 50 DPS and your 100 wrestle pet has 1,000 hit points, it will die in about 27 hits. If a monster with 140 wrestle has 50 DPS and your 120 wrestle pet has 800 hit points, it will die in about 23 hits.
120 wrestle cost 200 points. For 200 points you can get only 66 hp. So you need to compare 800 vs 866 hp.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that case, I think 120 wrestle will always be more valuable.
Until you consider the cost of the 120 wrestle in 40mil-50mil range so is that price worth it to kill something in 4 less hits :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Until you consider the cost of the 120 wrestle in 40mil-50mil range so is that price worth it to kill something in 4 less hits :)
Yes! ;P well, it would also depend on the shard. If you can get a small group together to do spawns, most shards will not have a whole lot of competition. Then eventually you will get the scroll free :p.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Heres the current price on Atl. The Tactics are a lot higher.

Yay they are glutting the market. Prices have gone down.
upload_2017-6-24_12-18-24.png

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What shard is this? On Atlantic, it's around 15 mils.
Have seen Parry, Wrestles, Tactics, and Anats all go for 40+ on multiple shards.

Yes! ;P well, it would also depend on the shard. If you can get a small group together to do spawns, most shards will not have a whole lot of competition. Then eventually you will get the scroll free :p.
Agreed and Scrolls are not a problem for me personally but the vast majority of us Trammies will simply not go to Fel. I spend 90% of my time in fel or on Siege and have died to PKs exactly 8 times from AOS on. It really comes down to doing the spawns at the right spawns and the right times. The Rat Spawn is not even on my list of places to visit because you are just begging to get raided. Other spawns are a bit harder but still doable solo and much easier with 2-3 people. Like any other PvM once you learn the mechanics and habits of the spawn its a simple matter to get what you need and get out. after the scroll binders and scroll books came out I bound all of the 105-115s I had collected over the years and filled 3 scroll books with 120s and 40-50 in a 4th book so basically 940 120 scrolls at the cost of 8 random deaths over several years. PvPs are very easy to avoid and evade by simply using their scouting and watching tactics. Just leave a hidden character or even dead character a long the approach to the spawn or at the entrance on a second computer and you have plenty of warning to avoid the raid and death.

Still brings us back to most people are never going to step foot in fel and that is a legacy the PKs created long ago. So thow the folks that don't want to enter fel a bone and let them have 110s or even 115s at say the Tokuno Sleeping Dragon spawn. It is a dead spawn that no one does anymore and is not one that lends itself to soloing Particularly when it advances to Hiryus and Rev Lions. Farming enough 105-110-115s there to bind into 120s would take a very long time and really would have zero impact on the Fel spawn and scrolls market. Hell it would probably entice a few to actually hit the fel spawns for the shot at 120s once they realized how many 110s it takes to make a 120, other of course would be content with the 110s and 115s. And it would get a otherwise dead spawn spawn active and being used. Myself I will keep doing the less visited fel spawns because the minimal risk is worth the reward of the 120s and other stuff. Of course until recently I had not done a spawn in probably 5-6 years just didn't have a need to with the scrolls I had hoarded. And mined my saltpeter, ore and stone in the same dungeons with the same low risk :)

LOL Not everyone that inhabits fel is a degenerate psycho killer :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heres the current price on Atl. The Tactics are a lot higher.

Yay they are glutting the market. Prices have gone down.
View attachment 68408
Have heard they are dropping from the highs and are not hard to find now. I figure in time and with the duping they will level off eventually in the 5m-6m range for wrestling. Tactics I don't see ever dropping much as they are needed for both pets and players, same with Parry. Chiv, Bushi, SW, and mage will probably go up and down as the pet flavor of the day changes. I got a bag of a dozen duped Parry Scrolls the other day that I traded a dozen wrestle scrolls for (Can tell because they won't go on a vendor or into a scroll book) So yeah scrolls off of vendors run a real risk of being dupes. Friend I got them from didn't know they were dupes and she traded a cameo for them with a guy on ATL. Seventh instance I have heard of with friends getting duped scrolls and first I have got them. But they are obviously out there in good supply and will further increase the glut and bring prices down. Apparantley one of the 3rd party seller sites is becoming quite notorious for passing off duped scrolls among other things.