• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is LOTR Right for Me?

W

Welbourn

I stopped playing WoW a while a go, I really enjoyed it in the days where i could be a 'healer' and I could be the best at it. I stopepd playing around a year ago because with the ability to change specs, and the changes towards 'equalization' every character could be good at anything.

Would I be more at home in LOTR? I am kind of looking for some kind of replacement with a the ability for players to actually choose some kind of path!

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome Welbourn,

There are 5 basic classes you can choose in a Free-To-Play game account, 7 in the Premium account. all are specialized classes with their own sets of skills, buffs and talents. the world of Middle Earth is huge with thousands of things to do. Sometimes i have to decide what i want to do today.
I also enjoy the crafting element as it can be rather rewarding. If you like to play the healer there are 2 major classes, the Minstrel and the Rune keeper. to my knowledge Turbine has no plans to "balance" the scales. in-game you can slot "traits" to get the right attributes for your style of game play. good luck, hope to see you in game.

W

Welbourn

Thanks, sounds like it is much more suited to my gameplay style! Does specialized crafting bring with it a certain level of prestige (Like back in the UO days)?

Again, WoW used to have prestige on crafting, then it made it 'easy access' lost all interest in the crafting part of the game when everybody seemed to be able to make everything.

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
crafting is pretty much specialized, you can chose a vocation that give you 3 skills e.g. the explorer gets forestry, prospecting and tailoring. the tailor can make light and medium armour sets and different types of class items, there are 6 tiers from apprentice to supreme master to crafting and it can take months to master a trade. imo the crafted armour is better than what can be earned through the quests. you can also join 1 guild to get superior recipes. I wouldn't actually call any of it prestigious but you do get a sense of pride when people comment and or thank you for something you made.

M

Muu Bin

Thinking about trying out LOTRO as well and wondered if there were any online tutorials someone might suggest. Is the official website something that has a lot of detail or a good play guide? I'm at work right now and have limited time/ access to check anything out at the moment.

Thanks!