• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Jacob's Pickaxe cumulative with gloves?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hmm... When I first did new haven quests, Jacob's pickaxe was just blessed with 10 charges.

Now, it's blessed, 20 charges (I had heard about this change) and it has "Mining +10" as a property (which was news to me when I got one with a bod runner in training I was working mining on to make recycling less costly).

1. Does is bonus combine with gloves?
2. (most importantly, for smelting). Does it also ignore the skill cap like the gloves (115 mining for smelting valorite would be nice...)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No unfortunately Jacob's Pickaxe does not take you over the cap like mining gloves do.

It's 20 uses are a Joke too. It doesn't break, it recharges, and it's blessed but 20 uses are gone in two veins tops. It makes no sense.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, at least it helps for smelting for those under the cap, which is a decent bonus for those training smiths up (saves a few thousand ingots for craft/recycle routines, and gives a few more back for your ore).

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only problem with using it while training smiths up is that it's a tool and you cannot any longer use one tool while another one is equiped.

I just trained mining up to 70.0 on my BOD runner only account because I'm training them to Elder smiths and tailors. Wearing the mining gloves I can smelt the items 100%. Using the pickaxe I was equiping unequiping it all the time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yeah, but the character I was training was using normal tools for mining, and holding the pick for ore-smelting and recycling phases only. There's its real use, other than maybe finishing a vein your regular tools ran out on, because you stoned off tinker for Arms lore (or never had tinker in the first place)