• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it worth starting UO?

G

Hello there.

I have been looking for an online game to play recently, with the emphasis on social interaction and a healthy dose of fun. I have looked at WoW and some others but they don't appeal to me too much ( am too old ), and I recently came across Ultima Online.

Being an oldie, I like the retro 2d look of UO and as my pc isn't some supercomputer, the game should run fine. What I am wondering though is whether or not UO has any life left in it? What is the community like? Any upcoming plans for UO?

I would be looking to play on the Europa Server as I am from the UK.

Also, could someone recommend a class / character that would be suitable for someone coming into UO comepletely new with no idea as to the best way to proceed?

Your time and help is appreciated.

OldFella

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give UO a try. UO have a good community. We don't always agree with each other on the boards but thats because we all love the game so much.

If Uo still got a life? well thats hard to tell. From the first days they said UO won't last long... still more then 10 years later we still around!

We expecting news about what new is coming soon.

Uo is about freedom in about everything you want to do. We got no restriction in what we want to do and where you want to go. We can combine skills the way we want, even if they fit silly.Of course there always templates we all can suggest.

If you start you might want to try to play with a Warrior/Paladin. They fairly easy to control and play with.

Something to aim for:

100 Chivalry
100 Swords
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Magic Resist
100 Parry

Turn those skills up and lock all the others.

Or change Swords in Archery and drop parry for Focus.

New players start in New Haven. There you can get some fast training till 50 from your skill trainers. Fast gains you get after accepting the trainers quest and when you go fight the undead south of New Haven . (in Old Haven). You get some little rewards for finishing the skills to 50 then.

The world is big and there is alot to do for new players.

If you need help with new players question this is the place to be.
And for intresting stuff on the shard you will play on go to your shard forums for news/help.

Europe Forum.

G

come on in, the uo water is lovely

you get good and bad everywhere you go, but most here are, without a doubt, good 'uns

G

I'm no spring chicken myself and I enjoy this game quite a bit. It's not like other games where fighting is necessary. I'm a crafter and a vendor primarily and I enjoy reacting with other players.

Hope to see ya soon.

G

Pffft ... it ain't the physical age that makes the game ... it's what you make of it. Me, casual player ... bank balance hovers between 1/ mil and 1.5 mil. Nearing 60 RL years with 8 years or so in UO with a year off for DAoC some time back.

Posters on these boards will disagree but we do care about this game ... a lot. Starting shard is up to you. Many will tell you to get one in your timezone or close. I'm Eastern zone and play Lake Austin (West Coast) with little trouble.

If you have dialup and not broadband, a close shard will be your best bet for starting. Check the sticky up top about the New haven Guide. The majority of the quests are there.

And most certainly pop in here to ask questions!

G

Thank you for your kind and encouraging replies.

I was wondering which server actually has the largest population and ( whilst I know this will be purely dependant ) most active community? I have a fastish broadband service and am in England, UK. Hence I was leaning towards playing on Europa, but I ping about 180 to the American servers. Is a 180 ping ok for Uo or should I look at the lower ping that Europa provides?

Having looked at the choices in roles and professions I am leaning towards a Tamer or maybe an Archer, not 100% sure at this time.

C

Cat Crimson

Europa would be a good choice from the UK. It also has a pretty active population. Drach used to be a lovely shard and still has a small but very nice and helpful community ( Frarc being one of those
) but it is painfully empty nowadays ( although on the plus side this means you have many free large housing spots, if that's something you're after )

You have five character slots per shard, so you can have a paladin warrior, an archer AND a tamer if you desire, and more ! They're all good fun. Taming is quite a long process to raise the skills so if I were you I would make all 3 and take it in turns to play them. Basic paladin is a good straightforward character to play and fairly quick to raise skills, also a good way to fight and hunt to get money and resources for all your characters.

And yeah the age thing - my rl best friend is 68 and still plays from time to time, only I am looking after his account at the moment as he has started a degree course at university ! I do have characters on Europa and still play there from time to time, and probably have some gold and useful bits and pieces knocking around so PM me if you want some help - the only thing I can't give is oodles of time right now, my playing time is a bit limited these days

Good luck and have fun !

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play both Drachenfels and Napa Valley Shard. Of course the Drachenfels shard has the best ping for me but Napa is not realy a problem with the higher ping.

The advantage of playing 2 shards for me is that i can always play the shard with the most activity. Or the least when i want it to have it a little quiet. And when one shard is down (Technical problems/ Publishes) most likely the other is up and running.

I can also have alot of different characters and skill combination to try out .

And what character first? Well play the one that sounds simple to control to get a idea how things work in UO. I always suggest a warrior for starters. There is alot to learn in UO and sometimes it can be alot to take when you just start.

The main thing is to have fun. And with questions or anything else, you know where to find us.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

welcome to UO.
don't let the nay sayers get to you. not everyone cheats.

C

Cat Crimson

Check your private message box, Old Fella ! ( I feel a cheeky whippersnapper calling you that tho
)

I

imported_ParadoxUO

greetings.

i just started too... and at first i was surprised... then mad... now happy.

uo is impressive... deep, rich... and community based.

i got mad with the cheating... and the developers are now attacking it...

that made me stay... and i'm eager to see what will happen next.

about starting:
i started with an archer, got a slayer weapon (earth elementals) and got my training done...

i hope you have fun.

if you have any questions i can try to help... just pm me.

ps: i play too much!

G

Glad you're staying ... and trust me, all of the unpalatable issues of today were also happening 9 years ago or more. They just happen to be more noticable because issues that masked it are now clearing up.

G

i was playing tso till they started making changes and i seen it was going down the flusher so i came here now 9 months ago and now i wish i had never wasted all them years playing tso uo is awesome

J

joblackjon

There are a lot of old f@rts in UO. I'm pushing 60 and have been playing for 7.5 years.

UO's best feature usually scares new players. UO has incredible variety and depth and new players don't know what they "should" be doing or how to do it! The answer is you do what you want and ask people here and in-game for help or you research your own answers.

When you start you get 6 characters so why not try 6 different occupations? Like a buffet instead of just ordering the meatloaf! You can have a crafter that makes furnishings, weapons, armor, clothes, potions, magical scrolls, tools, bows and arrows, etc. You can be a resource collector for wood, ore, gems, leather, feathers, even fish! You can be healer and aid those doing battle. How about a treasure hunter that decodes maps and finds and digs up chests? You can tame wild beasts to do your bidding. You can be human or elven and act "good" or "evil" as a mage, spellweaver, necromancer and paladin. You have hundreds of weapons of all varieties. You can fight other players or monsters or you can open a store maybe collect rares. It's endless!

I could go on for pages and pages...just get in here and start playing and see for yourself!

G

gee, amazing what us old folks can impart to each other!

I'll be 60 in a bit over 2 weeks.

G

it shocked me that i am enjoying it so much.

I wrote this game off that the only people who played it are those that still run windows 386.....

its pretty fun, but one thing you should know. Its full of cheaters and scripters (smart afk macroes) and has a huge lack of events/new content.

It does have 10 years of content and history and community that should last you at least a little while to explore )

G

Hello! EU is a great server, with a very helpful community! PM me if you need anything

C

Cat Crimson

<blockquote><hr>

gee, amazing what us old folks can impart to each other!

I'll be 60 in a bit over 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only 20 years behind you
also my rl best friend is 70 this year and although I pay for his account these days he does still play from time to time.

D

Dreadmage

Hello, just thought I should tell you all thanks. I will be 30 in a couple of months, and usually, I feel like the old guy. My wife, and most of my friends are all in their mid 20's, so I'm the "old guy" in our group. However, you have all made me feel a lot younger. Knowing that age doesn't matter, and I can play games at any age is a relief to a guy who sometimes feels like he's fast approaching his mid-life crisis.

And Old Fella, trust me, UO is an awsome game. I have played a handful of online rpg's, and the community alone in UO is worth playing. Not to mention that no other game can mach UO for customization, variety, and personal freedom. I love it, and my guess is you will too.

I

imported_Skrag

<blockquote><hr>

and has a huge lack of events/new content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, we don't get a huge amount of stuff, but there's usually at least a few interesting events per year. Blowing Magincia to smithereens for Halloween was... unique.

C

Cat Crimson

I'm glad that our comparative decreptitude has made you feel like a spring chicken, good sir - now go and put all that energy into UO

G

I kinda like how the youngsters think sucking up to us is somehow gonna save their hides!