• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it worth Returning?

Hello All!

Its been almost 5 years that I have stepped away from this game. I have sold/lost pretty much everything I owned when I played. I think I might have gold on my accounts and my animals are still in the stable. I really miss playing but I would really need to start all over again. How has GL been? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Juliette

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@GoldenNugget I will save you some time. Sorry, but it's really not worth coming back. IN MY OPINION, the gold sellers/scripters/cheaters have just about taken over the game. The Devs REFUSE to do ANYTHING about it, and there are currently a lot of "shady" things going on. I am actually looking at closing down some of MY accounts.

Again, just my opinion. Which I AM entitled to! But one that is also shared by many others.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I came back months ago. Although I don't have a lot of time to play, I do enjoy it when I do. I got sick of WoW and haven't been back on it since I started playing UO again. Yes, there are lots of scripters but they don't really interfere with my playing so I don't really mind. Pvp still has lots of scripters and speed hacks so I generally stay away from it. I say give it a shot, I'm having fun. There are lots of people that just complain about everything, but it's a 20 year old mmo, don't expect it to be perfect.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I came back months ago. Although I don't have a lot of time to play, I do enjoy it when I do. I got sick of WoW and haven't been back on it since I started playing UO again. Yes, there are lots of scripters but they don't really interfere with my playing so I don't really mind. Pvp still has lots of scripters and speed hacks so I generally stay away from it. I say give it a shot, I'm having fun. There are lots of people that just complain about everything, but it's a 20 year old mmo, don't expect it to be perfect.
Valid point. :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If your goal is to be top dog or compete in any way with others, forget it. If you like building characters and just making a little progress messing around, it's a fun way to spend some time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That really depends on what you want to do. UO has always been good and bad it all depends on you

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"I really miss playing"

You said it yourself. That means that there was something you enjoyed about this game. I say at least give it a try. Plus with Endless Journey, you can try it for free until you decide whether you enjoy it as much as you used to.

Christmas Elves

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
MY opinion doesn't count for much but UO is a passion that only each person can relate to. If you are bored watching tv or going out and possibly getting into trouble or spending too much on drinks! UO is a lot better. There are still a lot of good people who play and that includes pvpers. Fel is Fel Endless Journey just makes it easier for some to decide Come on back and see for yourself.!! If you do return Welcome Home!!

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Xmas Elves hit the nail on the head with the spending too much money on booze at bars. I'm gonna try to quit drinking so damb much at the bars. Just gonna sit at the house with a case of cold Coors and play UO.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yep.. Come back to the game. If you have old account(s) try activating one and give it a spin. You will be pleased with the new things and esp. the taming revamp, esp. if you were a tamer back then..
The rest is politics. Actually the Devs tell us that they have taken action with the cheaters. Cheaters I am sure are in other MMO's. Fact is that there are a lot of very nice players and several guilds in GL that will try to help, and a decent community, and not overpopulated. Lots of nice places to build a home (or castle also). Good luck to you.

Conjurer

Visitor
Come on in. I just came back and it's a whole new game. Still warming up but would be willing to help a guy out. Hillary at me if you decide to come back. I'll get you my icq

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
— If you miss playing, come back.

You can restart your old account as an Endless Journey (free to play) account to test the waters before paying for a subscription. (Just be sure to read up on the EJ account restrictions first.)

Great Lakes is still a great shard. Fairly well populated with that small community feel and a ton of vets around who help any and all who ask.

There have been a few hiccups and incidents, but like always they worked themselves out and the good people are still around.

All of that said, if you’ve been gone for five years just be aware there will be a learning curve. But again, lots of us around to help answer questions.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have been having that itch myself lately. Learning curve and how, I never even got a skill mastery going, and no content or changes after that. From reading some things here, I am not losing out, since my favorite activities were treasure hunting, mining/logging, and pretending I knew how to steal in dungeons, and crafting anything from scratch gear wise. I can still do all those things. I miss my old UI setup the most. I log in from time to time, poke around my chests and see what I forgot I had.

Also, hi

Jennifer-Marie

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have been having that itch myself lately. Learning curve and how, I never even got a skill mastery going, and no content or changes after that. From reading some things here, I am not losing out, since my favorite activities were treasure hunting, mining/logging, and pretending I knew how to steal in dungeons, and crafting anything from scratch gear wise. I can still do all those things. I miss my old UI setup the most. I log in from time to time, poke around my chests and see what I forgot I had.

Also, hi
Actually, this next major publish coming up in June is supposed to completely overhaul the TMaps and MiBs/SOSs.

No word yet on what, exactly, those changes are going to end up being - but there are a few hopes from the players. [[Updated loot tables, better spawns, actual spawns with the MiBs/SOSs, an overhaul to the skill set needed, etc ...]]

So it might be worth coming back for a little bit more than poking around the storage collecting virtual dust. :rolleyes:

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
@OP

No - it isn't

This game should be killed & buried but won't because too many of us zombies refuse to leave

Porthose

Visitor
I just came back myself. I was gone for quite some time myself (15yrs). I been back for a little over a month. Was a tamer before when I played and loved it. Coming back and seeing all the changes to taming makes it like a whole new game, but with that old comfortable feel that your used to. I am enjoying my return. Come on back and see what you think. If you you don't like it, it's pretty easy to delete before paying to play just use EJ to try it again.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I am not Great Lakes player, mine home shard is Sonoma, but I travel here every Tuesday for the EM events, the Royal spies and the RBG missions are a great way to have a lot of fun here, so if you do start playing be sure to check the Royal Spies and the RBG events!