• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it time we see a new race in UO?

Is it about time we saw a new race in our world?

• Total voters

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A very long time ago... we had ML... and the Elf race came to the lands. The results seamed very optimistic and many came to enjoy the new lands, dungeons, monsters, pets, spells... and so on.

Then many years later... we got Gargoyles. Many, again, enjoyed the new lands, dungeons, monsters, pets, spells... and so on.

In my opinion, going back to EM... I thought it was such a nice addition to our world, the staff should make a new race every year to help provide some diversity. Never mind so everyone doesnt look the same, constantly. However, waiting so many years to add gargoyles? At least in my eyes, SA wasnt so well received as ML was. The new lands, dungeons, spells... bla, bla, bla... are one thing. Its the race of gargoyles I think fell flat on their faces. Me, myself, I have several elves in my staff. I have 1 gargoyle. As a test and exploring the options? It doesnt fit in with my needs and enjoyment... and everyone plays differently... so, thats really that. I still think it was a good idea left in the dust... we should have had more races over the years, not so much new lands and so on. Like... the birth of Hobbits... or Dwarves... or Gremlins... or Centaurs… or any other races that grace other fantasy worlds. I'm sure the list could easily be endless. :)

So, even without another new world... is it about time we saw a new race?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to have Hobbits but I would love it more that the DEVs keep fixing stuff that is broken.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
High Seas 2.0 will introduce Mermaids and Mermen!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could see a lot of potential of all the suggestions.

Goblins: Boost to tinkering skills and to Golem creations.
Orcs: Boost to melee battle (perhaps damage increase, inherent UBWS ability, higher DCI cap)
Meer: Inherent abilities with magics, higher damage using nature based spells, etc)
Juka: Increased ability with bows and ranged weapons.

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hmmm.. wut wun wuld meez want to seez next? Betcha yooz silly hummiez wuld neber guess! (alldough meez still lubz dat bootiful statue demz made ob meez!). Uzizn lubz da moosik und gamez - demz kuld make uzizn super Bardz! Uzinz kuld eben beez able to make dat Virtuebane dance to da Disco moosik! Dun furgit to gibz uzizn uh acid attack - uzizn sneak up to da bad ting und peez all ober itz! Da solenz wuld hab nuffin on on uzinz! AND AND uzizn kuld ride da goatz, pigz, und da sheepiez!

PeezSsss - to da hummie dat want to make uzizn tinkerz - nerg hummie!! just nerg!!!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ultima had Bobbits and Fuzzies and Gwanni and Emps.

Martian Plantals
Martian automatons (the rubber-covered ones that look like a ginger Lord British)

Talking horses (are they houyhnhnms?). "Smith" is one of these.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If we had a large development team who needed things to do, then yes a new race would be cool.

With our current tiny team who have literally hundreds of other things that need to be done, no, a new race isn't needed and would be a huge waste of resources that would delay a lot of other progress.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was not the point of "other things to do"... was a playful question of "should". o.0

Seeing there is possible no money in it... I dont expect anything to happen.

Anyone showing a little love for a playful question? Nope.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We feel, no, already too much to be done and needing even more chars to fit in a new race is not appealing to us. Unless they are to be Kobolds, modeled after Neverwinter Nights. Those were SO fun(ny) to play!!

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well I am HIGHLY partial to being a dwarf. I always felt the Meer were next before Gargoyles. easy to adapt skins and nothing to change for armour. toss in a few codes for race differentials and done.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
well I am HIGHLY partial to being a dwarf. I always felt the Meer were next before Gargoyles. easy to adapt skins and nothing to change for armour. toss in a few codes for race differentials and done.
YES! Dwarves rule!!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
YES! Dwarf race! They are awesome : Great deal of STR and they are good fighters! They have infravison also, just like their prettier counterparts, the Elves..And they are aligned to Elves! They can use all Weapons and aror including Garg weapons! (I wisH!). They make ok mages, but not the best. Dwarves are smaller physically but they have MASSIVE other powers! They are best with slashing weapons. They are sweet race!

Also: How about a special class : Monk : They have es=xisted for 1000's of years, they are great with martial arts, and fight best with their bare hands, they can use the gloves of death, that can hit really hard and can do lethal strikes with them. Best with NO armor, their AC armor class increases with exp. and they are deadly. They can use healing, and also Ninjitsu skills..

**OOPs it was a dream, then I woke up**:)

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We feel, no, already too much to be done and needing even more chars to fit in a new race is not appealing to us. Unless they are to be Kobolds, modeled after Neverwinter Nights. Those were SO fun(ny) to play!!
"WE" and "US"... as the vote stands (and its a lot fewer then I had hoped to see chime in vs. the same people beating their chests about something so silly... you got a mouse in your pocket? As of this post, 10 votes are YES to the 17 NO... and no one is forcing anyone to pick new races. You want all humans? Go for it. No one's stopping you. We are talking "options".

Frankly, this question was mostly revisited in my mind due to the whole new totem that allows you to "appear" as one of the costume monsters, on a more standard form vs. not being able to hold a spellbook. Not being able to ride keeps my mage from being a pixie full time! hehe. Its not even like Gargoyles "fly" and keep off the ground from monster attacks... part of why I said they were so poorly designed in the first place. You should (or would figure) you could fly over water with big wings. Frankly, I would LOVE a new wearable garment of WINGS to fit in the slot were quivers sit. Pixie, bird, bat... whatever, as an outfit would be without being robbed a mount. Not all my guys would be pixies. I play my guys on different levels... some call it roll-play. Its still pretend in a world of fiction. What's the harm of a few new races? If you cant "grow up" in this way, you're in the wrong game. ;)

Rusker Sulle

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't mind seeing a new race, or ten, added to UO. My thought is that the new playable race(s) would need to stay UO-specific. Getting elves was okay, I guess, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

In my mind, we'd need a new land area that's just about as large as Ilshinar to make it happen. Or just rework Ilshinar to include three small towns for Juka, Meer, and my favorite, Bane Chosen. I know Bane Chosen isn't a race, but when that arc from years ago was live, my main character was evil and fought hard for the Bane Chosen. The towns would need to be race specific. You couldn't just walk into the Meer town as a Juka and everyone would just hold hands and sing. Same with Bane. I want being evil(Bane) to actually mean something outside of pvp.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it time we see a new race in UO?
I voted no

The reason for this is logical, I was opposed to different races in UO in first place, but then we had elves, gargoyles.
Look at the crafting menu for those races its a mess. Look at converting armor from human to gargoyle its a proper mess!
The game cant even keep up with the changes when introduced elf and gargoyle so adding another race in addition would just make things worse.

Also remember the reason for introducing races in first place, it was for RP purposes. Now RP is laying with a broken back, a new race not gonna solve it.

My priority instead of a new race would be:
1: Fix bugs, 2: Make GMs enforce rules(scriptBS) 3:make a pvp system or improve VVV to more like faction. 4: Make new player experience better, we need more/returning players.
All this I believe could be done within a year, but this year obviously dedicated to High seas, so maybe next year :rolleyes2:

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't mind seeing a new race, or ten, added to UO. My thought is that the new playable race(s) would need to stay UO-specific. Getting elves was okay, I guess, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

In my mind, we'd need a new land area that's just about as large as Ilshinar to make it happen. Or just rework Ilshinar to include three small towns for Juka, Meer, and my favorite, Bane Chosen. I know Bane Chosen isn't a race, but when that arc from years ago was live, my main character was evil and fought hard for the Bane Chosen. The towns would need to be race specific. You couldn't just walk into the Meer town as a Juka and everyone would just hold hands and sing. Same with Bane. I want being evil(Bane) to actually mean something outside of pvp.
I just spent a little time with a player who has returned after 20 years and we went to the Juka Town where the Juka Lords are and all those buildings were empty and just sitting there. I said, wouldn't it be great if this place had more in it and maybe even monsters spawning (think like champ) and then some mini bosses (like Abyss maybe instead?) I think that would be a great addition to these big empty towns. There is a lot of land space that is out there and could be used without even to add another server to house new lands!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should have said "Giant" too... considering it would have amazing carry skills... knocking whole horses out in a PVP fight............ BUT... I dont think you could fit through a door. ;)

I would have to guess, if I was on the design side... you'd need creatures that were not monsters... higher brain work vs. attacking everything they see. BIG or MID SIZE or SMALL... or super small.

I dont quite see the attraction of the Meer race. However, perhaps the staff dropped the ball on them too. Meer came at the same time as the Juka... and they both hate each other. And no "events" between them come. Give me a few days and I'd come up with 20 ideas... but 5 would do nice. hehe. Hell, they could do a full publish adding nothing and fixing bugs over the last 10+ years.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was not the point of "other things to do"... was a playful question of "should". o.0

Seeing there is possible no money in it... I dont expect anything to happen.

Anyone showing a little love for a playful question? Nope.
Maybe you need to learn how to state a question where is the SHOULD in Is it time we see a new race in UO?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the village people:] from the new tribes of eodon or a choice from any of the tribes, all with their own pros and cons. The new facial hair comes to mind.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"WE" and "US"... as the vote stands (and its a lot fewer then I had hoped to see chime in vs. the same people beating their chests about something so silly... you got a mouse in your pocket? As of this post, 10 votes are YES to the 17 NO... and no one is forcing anyone to pick new races. You want all humans? Go for it. No one's stopping you. We are talking "options".

Frankly, this question was mostly revisited in my mind due to the whole new totem that allows you to "appear" as one of the costume monsters, on a more standard form vs. not being able to hold a spellbook. Not being able to ride keeps my mage from being a pixie full time! hehe. Its not even like Gargoyles "fly" and keep off the ground from monster attacks... part of why I said they were so poorly designed in the first place. You should (or would figure) you could fly over water with big wings. Frankly, I would LOVE a new wearable garment of WINGS to fit in the slot were quivers sit. Pixie, bird, bat... whatever, as an outfit would be without being robbed a mount. Not all my guys would be pixies. I play my guys on different levels... some call it roll-play. Its still pretend in a world of fiction. What's the harm of a few new races? If you cant "grow up" in this way, you're in the wrong game. ;)
Somebody had a temper tantrum I see.

I like the totems. Im getting others to use the totems!

upload_2019-2-21_20-41-19.png

Just did Stygian dragon while drunk and as fire race. No pics tho.

upload_2019-2-21_20-42-41.png

Can kill **** with a horse while being a Centaur!

upload_2019-2-21_20-48-16.png

Dont need no stinkin new races.
upload_2019-2-21_20-49-3.png