• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it possible to have a sig that is update automatically?

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using a sig graphic that is updated daily with statistics but when I look on Stratics, it's always the old graphic. The only way I can update it is to manually delete the old sig, then re-enter the url.

If I'm referencing a URL, is there a way to set Stratics to check the URL for an update when the sig is viewed?

Thanks for replies.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your current sig is stored as a gif image, you need to embed the updating widget instead, it should work... people have rotating and otherwise updating things in their signatures (like dragons and dragon eggs).

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the help. I put it inside an IMG tag and that did the trick.

*Edit* Turns out my sig ends up being too tall so I had to dump it for a static sig anyway. Hrmph.

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I'm back to having problems again. The original graphic I wanted to use turned out to be too high, so I need to use a smaller graphic provided by the same site. This graphic is updated daily so I need it to be refreshed just like the other one. However, I just don't want this little square as my sig, so I want to join it with a static graphic that I upload here.

I've been trying to use the tag like I did before but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with the [sigpic] tag. It keeps showing as a link now instead of an image. Any ideas on that? When I go to sites that explain bbcode it seems that this should work...

*EDIT* Ok, I'm trying something different that looks like it's working:

[I][sigpic][/I]
[I][img]http://www.boincstats.com/signature/team_40097785_project-1.gif[/I]
[I][/sigpic][/I]

I use that code for the image that needs to update, then use the "insert image" button on the editor to enter the url of the static image, which is then copied in from that location. It looks right, but I won't know if it updates until later today when BOINCStats updates their database. Let me know if you are seeing anything different or any issues... should be two images side-by-side... that's what I'm seeing anyway.

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, just tried something new as the latest revision still wasn't auto updating my one sig image. Using the [imglink] bbcode now instead of . Everything else done the same way as in my previous post.

Of course this image won't update for another day so I guess I'll go to bed now.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I see two images side-by-side, as well. Let us know if it updates.

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just checked and the image has auto-updated properly. It seems I've finally got it!

It never stacks when I view it, though Tazar has sent me a screen cap of it doing that on his computer. But, he says it doesn't do it all the time... so I'm thinking... good enough.

If there is some other BBCode trick I should know that can "bind" two images together horizontally, let me know and I'll apply that to my sig.

Thanks.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I can make it appear above the other by shrinking my browser size to smaller than the signature . . . but who browses like that? I think it's fine. :)

Lord Raven

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I even tried that, and even dropped my screen rez to 800x600 and it was stable... As long as nobody on staff at Stratics gets annoyed with it, I think that's how I'm gonna leave it.