• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it good game balance to have weapons that do spells?

• Thread starter imported_OldAsTheHills
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Some people do not want spellcasters using Mage use weapons because the
Mage has no weapon skills. If this is true then why should non-spellcasters
have weapons that cast spells if they have no Magery skill?
Should those weapon with spell hit go away?

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

M

Masumatek

Yea hit spell effects probably shouldn't be allowed. But the people who try to argue that hit spell effects is a more overpowered mod than the -mage weapon mod have no argument at all. It's not just hit spell effects, personally I think almost all item mods need removals or much stricter caps. Whereas with -mage weapon...it needs removal even if no other mods were touched.

G

<blockquote><hr>

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

[/ QUOTE ]

“Some people” can do as they please, others can do otherwise. Why should one person's game mechanics ideas be imposed on everyone? We could argue ad infinitum about various skills being bad for this or that (see the various tamer / stealth discussions).

But in the end ours is an individual rights kind of game, not a democratic game. If we voted and limited everything to the winning template (say mage), this would be one boring place to spend time.

G

since they really nerfed the weapon damage according to swing speed, the only way to do enough damage to kill anybody is to have a hit spell so you can stack damages.

if they let us swing a bit faster and hit more often I wouldn't care if we used GM weapons

but as it stands now HP regen can heal more damage than a magical short bow or a kryss can put out

take away uber items and it will be mages vs tamers

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

[/ QUOTE ]

“Some people” can do as they please, others can do otherwise. Why should one person's game mechanics ideas be imposed on everyone? We could argue ad infinitum about various skills being bad for this or that (see the various tamer / stealth discussions).

But in the end ours is an individual rights kind of game, not a democratic game. If we voted and limited everything to the winning template (say mage), this would be one boring place to spend time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Finally someone took noticed that continous snipping this and that which reduces
all play ... I agree that no template should be that primary strategy. I have
noticed that people say this and that in the name of the good of the game, but
really only want to remove opponents' strategy.
Someone wanted to diminish Magery...diminish Stealth, disminish &lt; put any skill here&gt;,
and many have already have diminished Stealing, Archery, Necromancy, etc...
If someone say X must go then someone strategy is diminished...so someone else
will say Y must go to counter a different strategy.
Eventually, we converge to and very small selection of Templates.

"Why should one person's game mechanics ideas be imposed on everyone?"
I have noticed that is happening...Strategies that I use are going away... with
nothing to replace them.

So, until this clipping of my strategies, I must continue to try to clip others.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

Yea hit spell effects probably shouldn't be allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 90% of the ideas that you put forth on how UO should be are stupid.

With that said... I think a character should have to have magery in order to use this item property... I also think your % in magery should affect it... it should basically be your magery skill divided by 2.

say you have 100.0 magery... then you will be hitting with a spell 50% of the time....

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Yea hit spell effects probably shouldn't be allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 90% of the ideas that you put forth on how UO should be are stupid.

With that said... I think a character should have to have magery in order to use this item property... I also think your % in magery should affect it... it should basically be your magery skill divided by 2.

say you have 100.0 magery... then you will be hitting with a spell 50% of the time....

[/ QUOTE ]
Who say I want change? Other people are undermining me in this game. I
am returning the favor! If people do to me, I do to them. Uncut me, I want
the developers to under cut you! This is called Game Balance.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

N

Nerf-Herder

Wait a minute here.

-For non-artifact weapons, the highest hit spell you can have is 50%.
-The highest circle spell you can get on a weapon is lightning.
-You can cast the lightning spell with 50% success at 44 magery.

Why would anyone put 88 magery on their template to unlock a 50% hit lightning mod when they can just cast the spell 100% by using their 88 magery?

Maybe you can clarify your post, or offer an example. I could be misunderstanding it.

G

Rain you want to take away pratically the only way to kill a mage in a fight and give it only to mages? Have you ever fought as a pure dexxer against a mage? Its nearly impossible to kill them unless you have some sort of hit spell on you weapon.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Let it be know, I am tired of seeing change in this game.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

Rain you want to take away pratically the only way to kill a mage in a fight and give it only to mages? Have you ever fought as a pure dexxer against a mage? Its nearly impossible to kill them unless you have some sort of hit spell on you weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

...or poisoning, or you get lucky landing consecutive lightning strike crits.

IMO, the only real thing about dexxers that needs to be adjusted is HLD. Not sure what kind of tweaks would bring it back down to earth, but right now it is just sick. Instead of the target getting the message, "Your defense chance has been lowered" it should say, "Your defense chance has been negated, now run like a pancake or get pwned".