• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Avatar and his Uocodes an official website at this point?

Warchef1

Visitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
it seems to me with the way that this guy spams the hell out of general chat that he must be endorsed bu the Dev's. Its been years and hes still going every 15 minutes. Why cant they stop him? and what excuses have they come up with for allowing this to continue?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
it seems to me with the way that this guy spams the hell out of general chat that he must be endorsed bu the Dev's. Its been years and hes still going every 15 minutes. Why cant they stop him? and what excuses have they come up with for allowing this to continue?
He should be restricted to help channel

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He should be restricted to help channel
He is.

How do you suggest they stop him? Banned accounts are simply replaced with others, ip addresses can be blocked, but vpns beat that one, names can be blocked, but that doesn't really work either, I'm sure other posters here can confirm that one. We all saw the different names he came up with.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yea I think the fix for this is to start subbing to the game to get into Gen Chat (or get out of Help channel)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They could require a Two Factor Authentication for all accounts and make it a cell phone or email. It would have to respond with a code/number that isn't copyable. Like an image of a passcode. This would also benefit UO.com users with more security.

They could track down whatever server is hosting the information he's creating e-mail accounts from and try that. Send their legal department a letter asking them to disrupt whatever automation process they (Avatar) have created on their service. Assuming it's not their own private service, which is easy enough to set up.

It's not foolproof, but it's just one more little twist of a screw they could do to fight back, albeit briefly.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could require a Two Factor Authentication for all accounts and make it a cell phone or email.
Given the age of UO, I would highly suspect that it would not support 2FA without major changes to the launcher (and we know that isn't going to happen with this team)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could require a Two Factor Authentication for all accounts and make it a cell phone or email. It would have to respond with a code/number that isn't copyable. Like an image of a passcode. This would also benefit UO.com users with more security.

They could track down whatever server is hosting the information he's creating e-mail accounts from and try that. Send their legal department a letter asking them to disrupt whatever automation process they (Avatar) have created on their service. Assuming it's not their own private service, which is easy enough to set up.

It's not foolproof, but it's just one more little twist of a screw they could do to fight back, albeit briefly.
Please NO, do you know what a pain in the but that would be when logging in chars. to collect gifts.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Given the age of UO, I would highly suspect that it would not support 2FA without major changes to the launcher (and we know that isn't going to happen with this team)
The application would not, but the website that is used to create accounts (Even EJ) is not old.

Also, the whole "it's old" is a tired excuse. Why do you all give a pass to this game? It's weird and Stockholm Syndrome-esque. You're paying for this game. They should treat you like a premium customer. Have you seen what is being done for people for free versus what's being done for you for a premium?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Do we need Chat? Discord seems to be where most people engage. I have not had Chat on in years I think.

*Waves over the Tavern Keeper and he pours our another Glass of Good Old Moonglow Red*

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As long as there are people who are willing to spend money to buy gold/pixels the sellers will be around. Only thing that will stop them is for people to stop supporting them.
The problem with this is that the developers (Way before even Broadsword) were spooked into making drop rates very low for rarity or to combat farming. The majority of shards are also low population. So it becomes too time consuming to get items normally. As Merlin once put it here before, why shouldn't players buy the items with real money rather than spend hours a day to get it? If they are working instead of playing the game, shouldn't they still be able to get the items?

IMO they should stop being spooked by people that break the rules and just make the drop rates something that can be done in a manner that is fun and not a chore. Even if that means the rarity is lower or it can be done by people breaking the rules.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think several people would hate 2FA because several people have already complained it takes too long to log in as it is (especially if relogging in on the same shard after the first char was on a mount).

I'd probably be in the camp that is against this idea as well because the "fix" feels a lot like the resource "fix" to fight scripters where it probably made things more inconvenient to the normal players.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think several people would hate 2FA because several people have already complained it takes too long to log in as it is (especially if relogging in on the same shard after the first char was on a mount).

I'd probably be in the camp that is against this idea as well because the "fix" feels a lot like the resource "fix" to fight scripters where it probably made things more inconvenient to the normal players.
Again... not in the client. The website.

But, even if I were talking about the client, it's still possible to have 2FA and not require it every time to log in.

Cat Musique

Journeyman
To bad you cannot pay the UO Store in Gold from the game for items, that would solve one thing as they would have a legal place to purchase items in game with UO Gold.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again... not in the client. The website.

But, even if I were talking about the client, it's still possible to have 2FA and not require it every time to log in.
Why would you need 2FA just to log into the website when you are using your account to do it and unless you have not logged into acc maag. you do not need 2FA to log into it. Requiring 2FA does nothing to combat EJ Accounts as only paid accounts can use forums and there is nothing to use on the main web site the requires you to log in. Total waste of resources.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why would you need 2FA just to log into the website when you are using your account to do it and unless you have not logged into acc maag. you do not need 2FA to log into it. Requiring 2FA does nothing to combat EJ Accounts as only paid accounts can use forums and there is nothing to use on the main web site the requires you to log in. Total waste of resources.
I have you on ignore here on Stratics, but was curious...

2FA authentication on the website would prevent them from being able to use automation to make a lot of Endless Journey accounts. They could then action the offending accounts more effectively. 2FA also would require them to maintain a contact for the authentication. This would set up another barrier that could be used to identify the user before the account creation even happens.

Not completely impregnable, but just more barriers to entry.

And it would have the added benefit of more security for everyone that uses the website for it's intended purpose.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And it would have the added benefit of more security for everyone that uses the website for it's intended purpose.
They can't keep the website up as it is... I think the higher priorities would be keeping the website up without issue for a few months... and also solve for their website not keeping people logged into the forums via Chrome. Baby steps. :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They can't keep the website up as it is... I think the higher priorities would be keeping the website up without issue for a few months... and also solve for their website not keeping people logged into the forums via Chrome. Baby steps. :)
The topic wasn't about priorities. It was asked what they could do. I posted what they could do.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The topic wasn't about priorities. It was asked what they could do. I posted what they could do.
Sorry, I was trying my best at not being negative.

How what I wrote could also be read/intertpreted: The team can't even keep the website from going down on a monthly basis or figure out how to allow people using Chrome to stay logged in; do you really trust them to do some sort of authentication without messing it up and locking people out? :D

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do we need Chat? Discord seems to be where most people engage. I have not had Chat on in years I think.

*Waves over the Tavern Keeper and he pours our another Glass of Good Old Moonglow Red*
*looks terribly horrified at the thought of not having chat enabled*

As one who is known to *occasionally* use the general chat channel I think I would be lost at not having it. The shard I play actively uses it. Well, some of us do.

I think I'm going to start investing in the Good Old Moonglow Red winery. ;)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry, I was trying my best at not being negative.

How what I wrote could also be read/intertpreted: The team can't even keep the website from going down on a monthly basis or figure out how to allow people using Chrome to stay logged in; do you really trust them to do some sort of authentication without messing it up and locking people out? :D
Okay, just so long as we're on the same page that there are reasonable action steps that could be taken if they were capable.

mihali

Sage

2FA authentication on the website would prevent them from being able to use automation to make a lot of Endless Journey accounts. They could then action the offending accounts more effectively. 2FA also would require them to maintain a contact for the authentication. This would set up another barrier that could be used to identify the user before the account creation even happens.

Make it so that ONLY if someone wants to create EJ account, they have to go through 2TFA authentication! Not to create a regular, or pay account. Not too hard to do.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

LMAO You can get into Acc. Man. with out going through the UO.COM website. You can add 2FA if you want, I see absolutely no need for UO having 2FA. UO is not worth hacking. We need more security for a 25 year old game, give me a break. As it is right now you may only have ONE EJ Acc. logged it per ISP at a time and they can only use the help ch. You really think UO is going to get EA to do this just to piss off even more customers to jump through more hoops. Total waste of UO and EA manpower. I could really give a rats ass if you have me on ignore or not because it will not stop me responded to stupid ideas like this and if you though this was such a great idea you would post it on the real UO forums.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is funny is he thinks you sign in on the UO website to create accounts, what a joke.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the reincarnated Avatar wants to distribute riches to the people for a fair price, who are we to say he's wrong?

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the reincarnated Avatar wants to distribute riches to the people for a fair price, who are we to say he's wrong?
Guys like him are why our in-game inflation is out of control. Why farm gold when you can buy it in a minute. It has ruined an integral part of the game.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1711595388060.png

EA already has it. And trusted devices. It's just not required.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys like him are why our in-game inflation is out of control. Why farm gold when you can buy it in a minute. It has ruined an integral part of the game.
Out-of-control inflation has its benefits. On my home shard, I can buy an arrow from one bowyer for sixty gold pieces and sell it to the one standing next to him for four hundred. I have made millions in this way. Would you deny me the opportunity to make a living?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He is not the cause be he is defiantly taking advantage of it. The cause of inflation is having a glut of gold with very few ways for it to come out of the game. Gold dupes is the major cause of inflation. Selling items for gold then selling gold to gold sellers just move gold around, it does not create gold and it takes a long time to farm 1P gold I do not care what people brag about. I make the majority of my gold by selling items from the store to buy items from players to replace resources and PSs.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also, the whole "it's old" is a tired excuse. Why do you all give a pass to this game?
Have you read my posts? I don't think anyone would say I give a pass to this game :p

The entire login functionality to be changed in my opinion. This notation of having to relog every time you swap characters is simply archaic and should have been done away a decade ago. I'm a strong supporter of 2FA and personally feel any online game should have some login verification method to prevent unauthorized access. However, depending on what we see from NL, I would strongly argue that UO is in sunset mode and any significant changes such as 2FA are in the area of "never going to happen because we're doing the minimum to keep the lights on"

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out-of-control inflation has its benefits. On my home shard, I can buy an arrow from one bowyer for sixty gold pieces and sell it to the one standing next to him for four hundred. I have made millions in this way. Would you deny me the opportunity to make a living?
I do that, too, and have also made millions that way.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He is not the cause be he is defiantly taking advantage of it. The cause of inflation is having a glut of gold with very few ways for it to come out of the game. Gold dupes is the major cause of inflation. Selling items for gold then selling gold to gold sellers just move gold around, it does not create gold and it takes a long time to farm 1P gold I do not care what people brag about. I make the majority of my gold by selling items from the store to buy items from players to replace resources and PSs.
Where do you think that glut of gold came from? When you can buy $100,000,000 for $24. It used to take me years to make a million back in the day. I completely disagree with you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where do you think that glut of gold came from? When you can buy $100,000,000 for $24. It used to take me years to make a million back in the day. I completely disagree with you.
LMAO They are selling gold that is already in the game, what you think they magically pull it out of thin air and sell it. ATTENTION PEOPLE Gold sellers now have the ability to magically make gold, LMAO.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
LMAO They are selling gold that is already in the game, what you think they magically pull it out of thin air and sell it. ATTENTION PEOPLE Gold sellers now have the ability to magically make gold, LMAO.
People did make gold out of thin air by duping bags full of 1 million gold checks.. then deposit into their bank to "clean" it. Idk if duping still exists but the fact that all that gold was created way back then exponentially added amounts of gold that normally would take decades to make.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People did make gold out of thin air by duping bags full of 1 million gold checks.. then deposit into their bank to "clean" it. Idk if duping still exists but the fact that all that gold was created way back then exponentially added amounts of gold that normally would take decades to make.
So you are accusing Avatar of all the duping way back when people were duping 1M checks. How many accounts would it take to dupe 1P in gold?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You said " ATTENTION PEOPLE Gold sellers now have the ability to magically make gold" which is what I responded to. I'm not specifically speaking any single person, I'm talking in general like you were in your earlier post.

That said, I don't know if there are still ways to dupe or not because I don't follow the game nearly as close as I used to. Maybe there is or maybe there isn't.

How many accounts would it take to dupe 1P in gold?
I'm not really sure the exact steps that were used back in the day to dupe things, but I'd assume all you need is one account; even if you needed 2 chars you could just ask a trusted friend to help. A backpack can hold 125 items so if the person was duping a bag of checks (assuming 124 checks); they would only need to dupe that bag 8x. Again, I don't know how the duping was done (ie how long it took) but even if it was something to do with server down (ie once day) that's only about a week of doing it with 1 account to net the person 1P.

Now doing it with multiple accounts or being able to do this multiple times a day would exponentially increase that amount of gold.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You said " ATTENTION PEOPLE Gold sellers now have the ability to magically make gold" which is what I responded to. I'm not specifically speaking any single person, I'm talking in general like you were in your earlier post.

That said, I don't know if there are still ways to dupe or not because I don't follow the game nearly as close as I used to. Maybe there is or maybe there isn't.

I'm not really sure the exact steps that were used back in the day to dupe things, but I'd assume all you need is one account; even if you needed 2 chars you could just ask a trusted friend to help. A backpack can hold 125 items so if the person was duping a bag of checks (assuming 124 checks); they would only need to dupe that bag 8x. Again, I don't know how the duping was done (ie how long it took) but even if it was something to do with server down (ie once day) that's only about a week of doing it with 1 account to net the person 1P.

Now doing it with multiple accounts or being able to do this multiple times a day would exponentially increase that amount of gold.
That first part you quoted was called sarcasm. An account back then held 250 items total bank/pack so 4 paid accounts to hold 1P or take the chance of putting it in a house. 1P today is a drop in the bucket and I think if there were any gold dupes going on today we would have heard about it. Someone is mass farming gold drops is all I can think of.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That first part you quoted was called sarcasm. An account back then held 250 items total bank/pack so 4 paid accounts to hold 1P or take the chance of putting it in a house. 1P today is a drop in the bucket and I think if there were any gold dupes going on today we would have heard about it. Someone is mass farming gold drops is all I can think of.
Not sure where 4 accounts came from. Bank held 125 items / each char held 125 items (around time of duping there were at least 6 char slots but maybe 7) - that equals 250mil per character... that only totals up to 4 chars.

I agree 1P is nada today but disagree if there were gold dupes that we would have heard about it. Again, I'm not saying there is gold duping going on because I don't know if there is or not. The "good" exploits are the ones that nobody really knows about and the smart people using them 1) don't get too greedy 2) don't even share the notion with anyone. It's only when one of those is violated that we hear about it.

All that said, I do agree with you that today it's more likely someone 24/7 farm scripting things like splintering weapons etc which carry a hefty price tag or taking their 10 accts and scripting EM events and selling drops.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Math tells the truth always say you are killing demons at a spot with rapid respawn they drop 999 gold how many to make just one plat? Even killing 24 hours a day not spending a single gold piece on insurance weapons armor etc how long to gather 20 plat?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure where 4 accounts came from. Bank held 125 items / each char held 125 items (around time of duping there were at least 6 char slots but maybe 7) - that equals 250mil per character... that only totals up to 4 chars.

I agree 1P is nada today but disagree if there were gold dupes that we would have heard about it. Again, I'm not saying there is gold duping going on because I don't know if there is or not. The "good" exploits are the ones that nobody really knows about and the smart people using them 1) don't get too greedy 2) don't even share the notion with anyone. It's only when one of those is violated that we hear about it.

All that said, I do agree with you that today it's more likely someone 24/7 farm scripting things like splintering weapons etc which carry a hefty price tag or taking their 10 accts and scripting EM events and selling drops.
Just used 4 Chars to show how many it would take to do 1P and back then it was 5 chars per account.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i been saying that for years, but i get yelled out when i point it out, they can stop him if they really wanted to, they can shut his website down, blizzard does it all the time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i been saying that for years, but i get yelled out when i point it out, they can stop him if they really wanted to, they can shut his website down, blizzard does it all the time.
He is restricted to HELP Chat not GEN Chat. The only chat EJ Acc.s can use is HELP. They constantly ban his accounts and he opens more up and as far as shutting him down good luck with getting EA to do this or having a Judge do it after 25 years allowing this stuff would be a huge stretch.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think that the best way to combat inflation is to allow statues of oneself to be permanently erected in a public place for vast amounts of money.