• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is Animal Taming tied to/effected by any STAT?

• Thread starter imported_EnigmaMaitreya
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

Is Animal Taming influenced by any stat?

As in increasing the chance to start a tame cycle and / or succeed at taming?

While I am asking, does Luck have any influence on the the chance to start a tame cycle and / or succeed at taming?

I ask because I have been using TC1 to learn how to do things and what template (skills/stats) I want on my live characters.

What follows is Taming vs Greater Dragons in Destard.

I was having miserable success with str(100), int(100), dex(55) and basicaly ignoring Luck.

I saw others come in and seemingly start tames at will and succeed.

I changed to str(120), int(105), dex(25) and everything seemed to dramatically improve.

G

Neither stat nor luck play any part in improving a chance at a success in taming.

While STR will give you more hps to allow that extra saving grace when taming a hostile tame this didnt seem to be the way your question was worded.

D

Detharleon

you want to increase your 'luck' when taming... hope you get lucky at the fire temple, lure the greater outside and get it hung up on the corner of a public house.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

I accept your statement .... BUT

The previous 3 evenings I would average about 1 Tame cycle per hour. In 3 Nights I was able to tame a single Greater Dragon.

After I changed to str(120),int(105),dex(25), I averaged a Tame cycle every 3 or 4th try and tamed 3 Greater Dragons in less than 2 hours.

To me that is a rather dramatic change. I suppose the thing to do is to change them back to their original settings and see if the chance to start a tame cycle remains the same as last night.

One other question for you. In the Greater Dragons Thread the Dragons are being said to have 950hp+.

Of the 4 GD's that I have 2 are High 500hp's and two are high 700hps.

I was just playing around last night with the last one I tamed (792hp) and periodically its stats would change to 87? hps. The two numbers were never different, in terms of it was either 792 or it was 87? nothing else. The higher one was always the case after it was through fighting a mob. Can they cast some spell that changes their stats?

Also, the Animal Lore is at 120. Does this mean that for Greater Dragons and presumably anything over 100 taming skill, that Animal Lore is / can be unreliable?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Can they cast some spell that changes their stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
They often cast Bless on themselves. You might also see lower values which results from a monster casting Curse on them. One of my greater dragons has 991 unblessed Hit Points... Haven't remembered to check what it becomes after it's blessed, but his firebreath is a doozy.

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

What are the odds of getting a 900hp+ Greater Dragon? OR a percentage.

Is it really just a matter of recycling them until you hit the high end one?

D

Detharleon

I think they spawn pretty pretty random. I went thru 4 greater dragons tonight, using one to kill the others until I finally found one that had 1980 untamed hp with 78/89/48/58/67 with a 140.1 wrestling. After trying to tame it for 50 minutes I finally just got frustrated with it but I think it would of been decent if I could of stuck with it.

good luck!

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

Yeah I have pretty much started the Recycling thing.

I have 3 that ore high 800's now. Have not seen a single one in the 900's yet.

I have a 792 one that is really problematic for me. He has less HP's but consistently better stats/skills than the others. The las one I tamed last night was 84?ish and just let the 792 go at him (I 2 box) the 792 hardly needed any healing to dispose of the 840? on, the fight was over in roughly 1 minute.

I suppose he is a good tool to perceive the impact of good stat/skill's.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

Is Animal Taming influenced by any stat?

As in increasing the chance to start a tame cycle and / or succeed at taming?

While I am asking, does Luck have any influence on the the chance to start a tame cycle and / or succeed at taming?

I ask because I have been using TC1 to learn how to do things and what template (skills/stats) I want on my live characters.

What follows is Taming vs Greater Dragons in Destard.

I was having miserable success with str(100), int(100), dex(55) and basicaly ignoring Luck.

I saw others come in and seemingly start tames at will and succeed.

I changed to str(120), int(105), dex(25) and everything seemed to dramatically improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enigma, I can't tell you definitely whether stats affect taming. I do know, however, that I've been in several situations where I was either transferring a pet to another character or receiving a pet and the transaction would not go through because taming (and perhaps lore) skill was just barely at the required minimum, and yet the trade went through on a second attempt after casting the Bless spell on the recipient character. I really don't know why blessing the recipient to bump up their stats would make the trade work, but I've seen it happen at least a dozen times.

Perhaps some experimentation is in order to see which of the stats is the magic one to increase the odds of a successful tame? (My guess is that it could be intelligence, but I have nothing solid to base it on.)

This would make an interesting Five on Friday question. Perhaps you could send it to Jeremy using the Feedback Form on the official UO website?

A

Antion_Vallin

Taming is effected by your HP and Resistances, which determines just how much punishment you can take when you inevitably anger anything worth taming.