• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

IRC #siege-perilous

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

Couldn't find my original post with the information, so here's another for those searching for something to do right now:

In an effort to provide another medium of conversation for players of Siege Perilous, the Siege community has an IRC channel available for use. This channel, #siege-perilous, is on the Stratics IRC Network and is dedicated to the use of players of Siege. Note: Stratics IRC is not the same critter as UO Stratics, and an IRC channel is not the same as a modded forum.

If you don't already have an IRC client you can either use the Stratics Java IRC client which can be found at http://irc.stratics.com or any other software client, such as mIRC http://www.mirc.com or Trillian http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/index.html.

The settings you need to connect to the Stratics server are :
server name : irc.stratics.com
port : 6668
channel : #siege-perilous

For further information on how to connect please see: http://chat.stratics.com/

These directions will walk you through step by step. You may want to print this out for further reference as you are going through the download process. With that said...here are your directions...

* Go to mirc.com
* Click on "download and try mirc 6.02" (this tutorial is dated: newer versions exist)
* Click on any download site closest to where you are
* Click "save" and let it download
* Open where you put the file, double click the icon
* Click "next" then "yes", then "install"
* Your choice, either read the info or click "Launch" then "finish"
* Read thru the introduction if you need to get familiar with mIRC
* Click the x
* There are several boxes in front of you... you want the second box. It should say (I'm assuming its the same for everyone) Random US Dal network. Even if it doesnt, doesn't matter, thats the box you're changing right now anyway.
* Click "add" then type in the description bar irc.frws.com . (The irc.frws.com server seems to be the most stable) Type it again in the IRC server box. * Click "add"
* Now fill if your name (I have my nickname there, not my real name) So if your char name is Harriet, type in Harriet, etc. Your email address is NOT visable to ANYONE so don't worry, type it in.
* Where it says Nickname type your char name, and then for alternate, if you choose, you can put something else in there or just leave blank.
* Click "ok"
* Click the 3rd box over from the left...it has a # and a + on it. (thats the list of all the rooms on that server)
* Type in #siege-perilous on top box and in description then click "add" then "join"
* Guess what, YOU'RE IN THE ROOM!! Welcome!!
* To register your name so no one else can use it on the stratics network, in the bottom bar where your curser is, type this: /ns register YOURNICKNAME HERE <yourpassword here>
For example: /ns register Harriet <blahblah>

U

Uther Mortigast

Does anyone have any advice on choosing an IRC client?

D

Dor of Sonoma

Go with mIRC

It's free and extremely reliable.

You don't have to register it if you have no funds, even though it's listed as shareware. I'm still using the same client 8 months later.

Q

Quentico

There is another client called HyrdraIRC I believe.
I have never used it before but I have been told from a variety of people that it is a fairly good one as well.

You could also use Trillian for IRC. I dont really like it. I think SpyderByte uses it and he might comment on it further.

mIRC is the pretty much the standard for Windows IRC. I have used it since 1996.

Lord Quentico
Flame Guardian
TSR - The Seeker's of Righteousness

I

imported_Daan Mor

I downloaded it, and even clicked the destop thingy to install, and it told me that i should exit all other applications, but I ain't quitting UO for it, so I'll do that later, yah, later. Just like before, hehe.

D

Dor of Sonoma

You don't have to exit any other programs to run it.

It's not a resource hog like ICQ, and I have never noticed it affecting any other program's performance. I always run it while in UO.

I

imported_Daan Mor

Nahh, to install it. Said to exit all other applications.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

Nahh, to install it. Said to exit all other applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you fell for it

I

imported_Daan Mor

Bahh, not yet, and I always do what the little box says, I don't know enough to disagree... hehe

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

You could also use Trillian for IRC. I dont really like it. I think SpyderByte uses it and he might comment on it further.

[/ QUOTE ]

*nods* I Use Trillian for both IRC and ICQ mostly for the convenience of having both services start up at the same time when I turn on my computer vs. opening and running two seperate apps. Its got all the basic IRC functions. But those who want to run scripts or bots will want to try mIRC or Hydra instead.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Just resurrecting this thread from the dead.

If you're looking for a painless way to communicate while ingame, check it out. :)

C

CorwinWE

#SP was one of the most popular channels on Stratics IRC for a while ... long ago

D

Dor of Sonoma

What happened to it? :-\

You ought to drop by this one sometime...give it your unique, loving touch. *grins*

G

I have felt that unique loving touch once upon a time. *Reviews screen shots of my corpses*