• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Invis on chest pop

Frankly

Visitor
I've come back somewhat recently and used my T-Hunter to get a footing, currency-wise. I generally just ran lvl 1 and 2 maps, occasionally lvl 3, just by precasting a couple of EVs and then precasting invis while I dug it up. Chest pops, I invis, EVs take down the monsters, all good.

Recently, though, I switched my template to have taming/lore and trained up a Cu Sidhe to take with me. I've started slow on the lvl 1 and 2 maps again, but my invis precast doesn't generally work. I hop off the Cu, start to dig, precast invis and then when the chest pops, target myself, but I drop invis immediately, before I can even move my mouse away from targeting my healthbar for the invis cast. Since the chests are low level, it's not a big deal, but if I'm going to solo higher lvl chests, this won't work. Is my pet revealing me somehow? I'm not hearing any of the monsters cast reveal, it's like the invis just doesn't stick properly. I've tried precasting teleport and then porting away as the chest pops, but that actually attracts monster aggro even faster.

If anyone has any idea why the invis is breaking, or an alternative way to safeguard against a big monster spell dump right as the chest pops, that would be great.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I stay mounted and run as soon as monsters show off screen i invis dismount and all kill

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have 3 t-hunters, I'm not experiencing the issue to describe on my t-hunter, but my sequence is a little different since I do Trove 5 maps on him. I use a trained beetle (beneficial for those Ilshenar maps where I can' mark/recall and the loot is too heavy all at once). I stay mounted and precast invis, then run off a screen and lure the mobs one at a time. The beetle can't survive 5 renegade changelings, but we can dispose of them one at a time.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
You need to target yourself with the invis spell when you have the full chest up or wait one more tick when the monsters have spawned to stay hidden.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I am using gargish peace bard tamer for chests.
Dig up chest -area peace -fly away. Then turn on 2 bard masteries to help pet.
Hoard chests and below I have Triton near chest. For trove - far from chest to pull guardians one by one .
I invis myself only if some dragons I need spawned. But also after area Peace : nobody is casting reveals this way.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I precast invis while digging and when the chest emerges from the ground, I target myself. The next “dig” then spawns the monsters and also doesn’t break invis. If you cast at the moment the monsters spawn, you’ll lose invis. Must do it right before you see them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As the others said, you precast Invisibility. You target yourself on the "next to last dig", where the chest first appears above ground, but BEFORE the spawn hits.

When the spawn appears, they all appear to spam "Detect Hidden" - but ONLY if you or another PC (not a pet) are VISIBLE at chest spawn to be targeted. Once they have a target lock on you, you WILL be the target of detect hidden even before your spell goes off.

Frankly

Visitor
Oh, wow, thanks for all the replies. After being gone for a while, it's so great to still see so many people willing to help out and offer suggestions.

Also good to know that I'm not going crazy and that the "next to last dig" thing is probably the difference maker here. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get a chance.

Also also good to see some posted strats for higher level chests. I've got those maps in my locker, but didn't want to go anywhere near them until I've gotten the hang of managing the spawn.

@Dizzy what kind of beetle are you using? I've read that the Giant beetles can be pretty hardy for non-tamer use, but I can't imagine a 1-slot beetle would handle Trove spawn. I've got a couple on my mule, but I'm sure I could grab another... Or I've got dubloons for another Triton, I suppose...

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also if your run off before the chest comes up(right when the first corner shows) you can "reset" the chest. This helps to get a higher level.

So, i tend to have invis precast, and if i dont like the chest type, then book it so it resets.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Also if your run off before the chest comes up(right when the first corner shows) you can "reset" the chest. This helps to get a higher level.

So, i tend to have invis precast, and if i dont like the chest type, then book it so it resets.
Wow I did not know that, can 't wait to give it a try. Wish it worked with SoS too lol.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
@Dizzy what kind of beetle are you using? I've read that the Giant beetles can be pretty hardy for non-tamer use, but I can't imagine a 1-slot beetle would handle Trove spawn. I've got a couple on my mule, but I'm sure I could grab another... Or I've got dubloons for another Triton, I suppose...
It's the giant beetle, trained to 5 slots. He handles anything but an Allasaurus, so I just turn in Eodon maps for points. That first gain when training the beetle, from 1 slot to 2 slot, is the hardest. I like my giant beetle. His name is Ringo. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's the giant beetle, trained to 5 slots. He handles anything but an Allasaurus, so I just turn in Eodon maps for points. That first gain when training the beetle, from 1 slot to 2 slot, is the hardest. I like my giant beetle. His name is Ringo. :)
My two Tamers' Beetles are named "Pete Best" (the Bard/Tamer) and "Ted Kord" (the TH/Tamer).

Ted isn't quite as durable as your Ringo - depending on if the spawn has duplicates of really nasty stuff in them, he occasionally has a problem with Tokuno maps with Yamandon, and the the occasional map with 3-4 of some of the Doom critters (The things with the vertical mouth) or 2 or more of the Maddening Horrors in Tokuno.

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My T-Hunter is a mystic/mage. I cast a Fire Ele and start digging. I have a target self Invis macro that I cast on the 13th 'dig', which invises me just as everything spawns (depending on your casting speed - I run with Protection on to avoid interruptions, but that slows casting speed notably). Since the Ele is blue, everything targets her and I just walk away and dismount. Once you get the timing down, it works pretty well.

I have also used the 'run-and-invis' method that @Anon McDougle uses, which works pretty well. But since everything insta-targets you on spawn, I had had some close calls on Horde & Trove maps. A single hit from a Frost Dragon can really do some damage.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I mark a rune a little ways away and when everything pops, I recall to that spot. I invis, dismount my giant beetle, and pick things off one and two at a time.

Frankly

Visitor
@Anon McDougle I play on Cats, and really appreciate it, but I bought an untrained beetle from a Magincia pet vendor. Easier than going out to get one and it's currently in the stables bonding.

@DreadLord Lestat I actually had the same idea. I managed to get the invis timing down, but then got a bit concerned that if it didn't work on a higher level map I might be dead before I realized it failed. I noticed that the monsters still target me immediately and chase me off screen, even when I recall, so I suppose invis is needed, regardless. At least I won't be standing in the middle of all of them, ready to be nuked to oblivion.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With Lestat's method, have recall pre-cast. Have your cursor OVER the rune, then click the instant you see the spawn appearing.

This also works with sacred journey, if you take a mage out to pre-mark the items. my retired melee TH used this method all the time.