• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Investigating Crime

Miretar

Journeyman
Instead of discussing the investigation of crime, there seems to be a great deal of bragging about successful crimes on this forum. As someone with over 45 years of role playing experience, I understand how much havoc stealing can wreak and I’m not laughing. If I knew more about the game, I would like to create a thief taker.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Instead of discussing the investigation of crime, there seems to be a great deal of bragging about successful crimes on this forum. As someone with over 45 years of role playing experience, I understand how much havoc stealing can wreak and I’m not laughing. If I knew more about the game, I would like to create a thief taker.
What exactly are you looking to discuss? What do you want to know? You can start with putting forensic eval, tracking, and detect hidden on your character. Forensic eval will tell you if a player is in the NPC thieves' guild which you need to join to steal from other players. It is not required to "pick junk up off of the ground" or steal from monsters. Thieves' guild members cannot give murder counts so you can freely kill them anywhere. Your main problem is going to be finding thieves, not only because they are sneaky, but because there are very few of them left. If you are playing on a low population shard (Siege Perilous comes to mind as the only shard to even attempt this) you will quickly figure out who's a thief and who isn't, at which point you can stone off Forensics.

Once you have Detect, Forensic Eval, and tracking, I would go with magery. The Reveal spell works hand-in-hand with detect hidden but without the 10 Second delay between uses. Also, a thief's first instinct upon being revealed is going to be to run away, so paralyze is a must. You're not likely to catch him without it. At that point, you already have 4 skills used up, might as well finish it up with Eval, Med and whatever else you want. Not only are you going to have to brush up on your PvP skills but you will need to understand your game mechanics very well. I have found few who understand how the more obscure game mechanics work better than most thieves do and they will use that against you quite effectively.

Miretar

Journeyman
Neither my husband or I have any interest in Fel because we have seen what that kind damage pvp and stealing in rpg games does.

Besides even if I did create that type of character her survival chance would be nonexistent once thieves discovered her identity. My major concern is that there are too few consequences for these destructive behaviors.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Neither my husband or I have any interest in Fel because we have seen what that kind damage pvp and stealing in rpg games does.

Besides even if I did create that type of character her survival chance would be nonexistent once thieves discovered her identity. My major concern is that there are too few consequences for these destructive behaviors.
I totally agree with the lack of consequences, but I see these elements (thieving and PvP) as important and allow players another avenue to interact in a meaningful way. Not everyone wants to play the good guy and that should be perfectly fine. Some aspire to make the world a better place and some aspire to destroy it, the choice should be up to the player.

The "damage" that you speak of comes only from the player's failure to understand the risks that they are taking. When they choose to participate in action that involves these risks, they sometimes lose. The amount of the loss is determined solely by the player who takes the risk and one could argue that the "damage" is not the fault of the murderer or thief, but the player who risked more than they were willing to lose.

You are welcome to not take part in any activity that involves PvP or stealing, you are given a ton of avenues to pursue this. There is a very large niche of players who enjoy the dangers of PvP interaction, probably much larger than you realize. The difficult part is striking a balance between the two play styles in a way where they can come together, and I don't believe the current staff has the ability to find that balance if it is even possible.

Reactions: Rat