• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Interview with Devs. Hints of classic server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheGrayGhost

Imbuing takes time and effort?
So did training smithing? Or should skills get easier to train? I plan to do a little bit each day, and when I get bored I'll go bash something, or go mining, to get the resources to do some more the next day.
I've proved you don't need to spend a fortune training it - despite some people insisting you do.
Expecting to get rid of all cheating is unrealistic. The team will do their best I'm sure, but there isn't a multiplayer game anywhere that doesn't have some kind of problem with cheats.

Possibly in part due to the convention of deliberately putting 'cheat codes' into console games etc, some people no longer see cheating as wrong and reprehensible, but an acceptable part of gaming. Sad, but I'm afraid true.
That is something that has irked me to no end and for the life of me I can't figure out why it's done or how it even started.

T

Trebr Drab

From what I have done so far it wont be so bad, I made a twinkling scimitar with bronze runic until i got one that was mageweapon -20, Spell channel -1FC, through use of inbueing i was able to add FC+1 canceling out the -1fc, i was then able to add another 10 dci to the weapon. tell me how much a weapon like that would go for in the pvp community pre inbueing?
I'm curious how long that took you, complete with any ingredients, and how long it would take to make all that a character can gear up with. That's what I want to compare, you know, powergamers to the rest of us. Then consider raising the skill too. How far behind will non-powergamers be?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious how long that took you, complete with any ingredients, and how long it would take to make all that a character can gear up with. That's what I want to compare, you know, powergamers to the rest of us. Then consider raising the skill too. How far behind will non-powergamers be?
It didnt take me long at all less than 20 mins using the classic client not using UOA, Im by no means a powergamer i play maybe a couple hours a week I have everything I need for pvp or pvm, People are only going to get what they put into it, People that have the time to play 8+ hours a day should be far ahead of the people who can only play a couple hours a day.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're interested I did a mock-up of a training guide, http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152366
0 - 120 skill - I can't give the quantities of resources used, because I didn't train it, just found something that gave the right difficulty percentage for each skill point. Resources used were Magical residue, citrines, amber, amethyst to 108, then enchanted essence and amber to 120. I used no relic fragments, no mined gems and no lumber resources.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate your clarifications in this thread.

Let me ask you, though, if you have any idea why some of us (me included) might be disturbed by the "Dude in Charge of UO" describing Trammel players as "care bears" and saying that "everyone" wants a return to the "wild west?"

And please don't say he was taken out of context; I read the entire interview.

Yes, it's clear he was not talking about the SA Fel content. He was definitely not talking about the SA content. Everyone who can read knows this.

The objection I have is to his clear orientation as a player.

-Galen's player

This is correct.
* The only non-consensual PvP areas of the expansion are the two new Champ Spawns
* The entrances to these are *clearly* marked, and there will be a warning gump added to players trying to pass into them from the Trammel side of the Abyss
* There will be Felucca entrances to each Champ Spawn hidden in the Anti-Virtue dungeons
* Murderers will only be able to use the Felucca exit, and not enter the Trammel ruleset Stygian Abyss dungeon
* The Champ Spawn areas are separate content, that have Trammel-ruleset entrances inside the Stygian Abyss dungeon. They cannot be entered accidentally. They will not be confused as PvE content.

Let me be very clear:
* We are not making any ruleset changes
* We are not forcing anyone to play in a ruleset they don't want to
* We are not going to force Trammel people fight in Felucca, or allow murderers into Trammel to hunt other players
* Anything we add that he hinted at will not interfere with the current, normal game mechanics
* Anything we add that he hinted at will be self-contained, and as separate from the Trammel content as a red moongate separates them from Felucca
* Anything we add that he hinted at will be done as a part of the Live publish cycle, and isn't related to the expansion, it will not be in the same timeframe as the expansion release, and would be schedule far down the road, as all Live content is
* The scope of said "addition" would be on the same scale as other Live publishes. Examples of contents/system that have been added on this scale include: The Paragon system, Treasures of Tokuno, the Trial of Ricardo, the Fall of Magincia, etc.
* This has nothing to do with a "classic" shard
* This has nothing to do with "reverting" the combat code to a previous state

* I personally believe that yes, the idea we have is very cool, and will make both PvP'ers and PvM'ers want to participate. It is not related to the expansion.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate your clarifications in this thread.

Let me ask you, though, if you have any idea why some of us (me included) might be disturbed by the "Dude in Charge of UO" describing Trammel players as "care bears" and saying that "everyone" wants a return to the "wild west?"

And please don't say he was taken out of context; I read the entire interview.

Yes, it's clear he was not talking about the SA Fel content. He was definitely not talking about the SA content. Everyone who can read knows this.

The objection I have is to his clear orientation as a player.

-Galen's player
Well if that is how you feel maybe he should be fired .....:next:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe he was trying to dispel the ongoing assertion by most pvpers on these boards that no developer ever set foot in Felucca and hasn't any idea how to pvp?

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not convinced that UO saw huge subscription increases simply because of Trammel rulesets. Before Trammel came along, not nearly as many people had pcs let alone high speed internet. I think a good part of the increase of subs when trammel came out was because the market as a whole increased greatly for online games as the technology became available to the masses. While new players started playing online games(including uo) im sure many many people quit uo due to the overall restrictions that were placed on uo gameplay. While im sure Trammel enticed quite a few players im sure it alienated just as many. As far as why there are more Trammel players nowadays, well, theyve been catering to them for nearly 9-10 years. There are also alot of players playing free shards(not just a few either) that cater more to the old style uo player. Trammel and fel should have been completely different shards and should have evovled differently but EA took a fast, cheap easy approach to addressing the issues between different playstyles. As far as siege goes, I respect its players but I refuse to play a shard that was not properly adjusted for item based pvp etc. Aos expansions have been implemented on Siege without any consideration to how it effects the shard. Imo opinion, Siege should have never underwent the combat system and items changes that came along with Aos. Its an underdeveloped and negelected shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.