• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting ideas from another mmorpg game.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played ultima on and off for 20 years and recently I am on the "off" part of Ultima. I've been trying a game in beta that has caught my interest.

1) mobs only drop silver mostly, some drop materials used for crafting. So no searching through piles of loot trying to find the perfect stat armor weapon, jewelry etc... some people might enjoy that though.
2) all armor and weapons are player crafted. See point #1
3) you can buy shops needed to craft weapons and armor and charge people to use them. so the big citys are actually player owned shops.
4) There's areas where anyone can kill anyone and take ALL their stuff, even their horse.
5) The better resources can only be found in the more dangerous zone. so like felluca but people HAVE to go there eventually for the materials needed to craft better gear.
6) theres guild wars where you can actually take their territory.
7) there's only one shard, I always though ultima should consolidate shards but because of housing that cant happen.

So far the game is just what I was looking for, crafting, resource gathering, pve, pvp, gvg, and pks. It has a nice mix of pvp and crafting.

The only reason i'm posting this here is I have played Ultima online for many years and this game seems like something someone from ultima background would like. I don't think i can promote the game here but if your interested pm me.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
PM me the game title, I'll let you know if you can promote it.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I don't want to get flamed for promoting another game on an ultima online chat board. the devs of ultima should definitely take a look and maybe implement some of their ideas. like player owned citys.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing beta. It's really good. Can't wait for launch in a weeks time. The model is B2P with an optional soft subscription which can be bought for in game currency. UO should follow that model.

I don't think the OP was trying to promote the game, more promoting the ideas in the game that could be ported across to UO.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like the original uo in some respects, pre tram

kronides

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds incredibly niche in 2017, but out of curiosity I do want to know what it is...

I mean UO is niche, in this day & age. So why not, eh?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm.....sounds very similar to a game we all used to love and play.....it was called Ultima Online.... ;D

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are lots of ex-UO players there. It's not quite UO but was built in the premise of old UO with influences from Eve too.

No good for the tamers as there is no taming element to the game. It's full loot PvP in the lawless areas of the world but it's done in a way that it's actually fun and losing stuff is more an inconvenience than a show stoping disaster. Great GvG action. Guilds in general are a huge part of the game and less so for solo. Great for gatherers, refiners and crafters as in this game "everybody matters" ;)

And the OP is right. Lots that UO could adopt.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Think there's more people playing UO than Aria. It's awful.
True, though LoA is still in it's Alpha phase. However this might change rather quickly cause I'm willing to bet LoA gets a Steam Release before UO does.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, though LoA is still in it's Alpha phase. However this might change rather quickly cause I'm willing to bet LoA gets a Steam Release before UO does.
Most likely as UO will probably be never. And while it's still alpha I'd expect a much better experience (based on other alphas I've played). It's barely playable. Also take up is really poor compared to other games that are/were in alpha such as Albion and Crowfall. Aria has a couple thousand backers while Albion and Crowfall have hundreds of thousands.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a hard time letting UO go. No way I gonna start a new MMORPG anyway ;) Thanks for telling the name though, gonna check some youtube.

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Some interesting games being developed these days.
Albion might have a tougher time as it seems there is not much substance behind it. Love their graphics though!
Crowfall is a DaoC clone?

UO at the moment still has the best mmorpg package out there - but how long?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Probably but LoA while I tried it was Meh... I couldn't get over how cartoony it was... I felt like I was in Garfield or something that farm cartoon they had for a bit or expecting to see Foghorn Leghorn.. Just loathed the graphics...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Albion is a decent game not really my cup of tea though.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds like my beloved UO .. before the EM events ruined it and brought chaos and greed into the game

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds like my beloved UO .. before the EM events ruined it and brought chaos and greed into the game

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are all here posting on this forum for the same reason. We have a love for Ultima Online. Sure we are a mixed bag and there are cynics, cheerleaders, addicts, diehards and newcomers in equal measure. But we all love UO, either because of what it was and/or what it is. Th reality is of course (and pretty much all of us know this, bar one or two blinkered individuals) is that UO will come to an end.

With that in mind (not just that it will no longer be, but also that I dont like what it has become) Ive been looking for a game to replace it for a good few years now. The fact that Ive never found one to date is testament to UO and its legacy. We would all love a UO2 that had a great graphics engine whilst remaining true to the game, a single client, great functionality, a fantastic customer service, a publisher and Dev team that had the resources and compassion to make it great, a healthy playerbase and a thriving MMO. Id even add a multiple ruleset choice for those that want it.

The reality is though (and its taken me longer than it should to realise this) is that this is NEVER going to happen. Well, short of me winning the multi rollover on the Euromillions lottery that is, in which case I'll make it happen. But discounting that, UO is irreplaceable. What that leaves us with is finding a game that gives us the vibes and feeling of what UO meant/means to us. A game that can fill the void and be a great experience in its own right. Again I've never managed to find this so far, at least with anything that has a degree of longevity.

Until now.

AO is the best gaming experience Ive had in 20 years outside of UO. The graphics are simple but great, the gameplay is great, the way PvP is implemented in a full loot system is great (it makes you WANT to do it). Crafters, refiners and gatherers have a place. Guilds are a mainstay of the community. The Dev team are fully engaged. Bugs and hacks seem pretty much absent.

Has it got tamers? No. Its lacking there. Is the housing as good as UO's? Of course not. I'm betting there will be no game in my lifetime that will do that as well as UO. Is it as open world a sandbox as UO. No ... but it is superior in many other ways. Its a game I can see myself playing for many many years, but will be so much more enjoyable because Im not trying to match it up with UO. To do so will be a waste of time as there will never be a another UO. Its a one off. Thats not to say that once you put your UO bias aside that there cant be a game that becomes as loved as UO was. I think Ive found it. Launch 17th July 2017.

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Big companies will not make a game like UO - there is just not enough money in it.
But lots of smaller companies will fill the niche as mmo technology is more developed.

*mumbles* and AO in mmos is reserved for Anarchy Online :p the game with the most crashes at release :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@The Craftsman that was a really nice and well-worded post, I don't always agree with what you say, or how you say it, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you winning those multi-rollover Euro millions...;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not at all interested in PvP... but most of what your saying @The Craftsman is true... I've been looking and looking and looking for the past 3 or 4 years seeking something that will replace my beloved UO ... and the further and further current UO gets from community and sinks into a hole of cheating, scamming, multiboxing and ignorance the closer I get to just shutting down my accounts and walking away... I miss community... I am FED UP with the constant evaluation of what things are "worth" ruling fun... No one seems to care about doing anything if it isn't making them RL money or mountains of in-game gold...

I'm FED up with the powers that be ignoring all the flagrant abuse of the ToS... abuse of other players ..... and everything .... cheating has become the "norm" and it sickens me.

I have found NO games that even come close to what I enjoy in UO... No good RP, no good housing, pets, community and crafting... I bought into Morrowind online and maybe I'll go there... not really sure and not sold on it either... My son keeps trying to get me to play FF with him but it has ZERO RP... I liked the premise of Landmark but the implementation of it really blew ... apparently they really never understood the concept of SANDBOX... Sadly that game died from lack of understanding on the part of the DEVs there... so now I'm stuck. I still love UO... but I just can't stand the state it's in.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not at all interested in PvP... but most of what your saying @The Craftsman is true... I've been looking and looking and looking for the past 3 or 4 years seeking something that will replace my beloved UO ... and the further and further current UO gets from community and sinks into a hole of cheating, scamming, multiboxing and ignorance the closer I get to just shutting down my accounts and walking away... I miss community... I am FED UP with the constant evaluation of what things are "worth" ruling fun... No one seems to care about doing anything if it isn't making them RL money or mountains of in-game gold...

I'm FED up with the powers that be ignoring all the flagrant abuse of the ToS... abuse of other players ..... and everything .... cheating has become the "norm" and it sickens me.

I have found NO games that even come close to what I enjoy in UO... No good RP, no good housing, pets, community and crafting... I bought into Morrowind online and maybe I'll go there... not really sure and not sold on it either... My son keeps trying to get me to play FF with him but it has ZERO RP... I liked the premise of Landmark but the implementation of it really blew ... apparently they really never understood the concept of SANDBOX... Sadly that game died from lack of understanding on the part of the DEVs there... so now I'm stuck. I still love UO... but I just can't stand the state it's in.
Hey I am farming origami paper right now, not because I am going to get rich from it but because I want origami paper.......... BTW the drop rate on origami paper SUCKS!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey I am farming origami paper right now, not because I am going to get rich from it but because I want origami paper.......... BTW the drop rate on origami paper SUCKS!!!
I know I was training one of my pets there killing fanddancers by the 100's got 1 piece... 1...

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is albion online. will it replace Ultima online, absolutely not. I don't think any game will ever replace the feeling i got the first time I logged into ultima online. Another thing that can't ever be replaced will be housing in UO. I definitely am not here to try to get people to quit ultima online but just wanted to let people know there is a game that has some elements of ultima that people enjoy.

Ultima online is still a great game I just need a break every other year. The last game that replaced Ultima online for me was Dark age of camelot. so its been a long time since i've seen a game that has interested me besides Ultima online.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I got Albion last night and after loading it up I found myself having to pull myself off the computer to go to bed. I love it.

I've played SoTA, LoA and for me personally Albion is much more like UO than these. I cannot wait to get on tonight and play more.

It's so nice seeing other players around EVERYWHERE. I love that fact it also shows how many others are online in the region at the same time.

PS..Add me in-game "DJAd"

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wasn't a fan for many reasons... It's servers are potatoes. It was a crowd funded game for FTP that is not FTP. It uses a currency system that is based on real money. The graphics are better than UO, but not better than a early 2000 MMO.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you not find it to "cartoony"?
I sort of want to try it but i'm not sure i could deal with the graphics, does the game play make up for it?
I have to say I don't mind the graphics. I mean I play UO so obviously graphics aren't a thing for me! lol

The game play is great so far but I think the fact I am playing with some friends makes it more fun. Its like any of these games, they get boring very fast if you are alone.

Also the best thing is there is people around, everywhere! Sure its a new game and lets see what happens in a few months/years but so far I'm really enjoying it. Its nice to see other players around and I imagine it was what UO was like back in the day.

For the £22 it was money will spent.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have to say I don't mind the graphics. I mean I play UO so obviously graphics aren't a thing for me! lol

The game play is great so far but I think the fact I am playing with some friends makes it more fun. Its like any of these games, they get boring very fast if you are alone.

Also the best thing is there is people around, everywhere! Sure its a new game and lets see what happens in a few months/years but so far I'm really enjoying it. Its nice to see other players around and I imagine it was what UO was like back in the day.

For the £22 it was money will spent.
Even UO becomes boring without your friends around.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, all mine left ages ago now. I'm the last surviving member of a once great Europa guild, The Britannia Guard.
and i think my time is coming to an end in UO also, was putting all my hopes in the 20th Anniversary but unless they are hiding something big..........

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye, all mine left ages ago now. I'm the last surviving member of a once great Europa guild, The Britannia Guard.
and i think my time is coming to an end in UO also, was putting all my hopes in the 20th Anniversary but unless they are hiding something big..........
I remember you guys well. Sadly the rp element in UO is dead. if you still enjoy the rest of it then its got so much potential. But Europa is pretty much dead when I log in [irregularly]. Those golden times of 100+ people at an event are long gone. But yes ALbion looks interesting. If I hadnt spent a lot of time in Neverwinter I would jump at Albion ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually went back to give ESO another try with the release of Morrowind, i was pleasantry surprised.
It's pretty much the game it should have been at launch now, very addictive.
A bonus to me as i'm a bit of a huge Skyrim geek. :D .......4 Elder Scrolls tattoos now :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Does ESO still have those chains of bots running around the country-side? :eek:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cannot say i've ever seen them, they did add a big patch that introduced "anti-bot" software a while back.
It's also just broke the 10 mill active players mark so it's quite busy in places.
I thing i find the funniest is that i will go hide in a remote "out of the way" corner to do some fishing and soon enough somebody else has the same idea :D
I miss that about UO....you know, more than 10 people logged in at once at any time ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Aha! Anti-bot software, that sounds good, back when I played they just sent gm's around the world with big flaming swords to kill them all... :D

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
If you mean the Shriney boss thing/Delves grinding and the massive groups of people running from one to another in Alik Desert then yeah......

But only there at the moment as it seems its the closest place to each TP thing.

For the rest the game is awesome, the tier bosses to your level thing is very good meaning you can play with your friends even tho they million miles away....
Now 1 combo of the boss and you dead....

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I cannot say i've ever seen them, they did add a big patch that introduced "anti-bot" software a while back.
It's also just broke the 10 mill active players mark so it's quite busy in places.
I thing i find the funniest is that i will go hide in a remote "out of the way" corner to do some fishing and soon enough somebody else has the same idea :D
I miss that about UO....you know, more than 10 people logged in at once at any time ;)
Theres like 15 people log at all times in Europa, they not visible that is all

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im 10 days into albion as I was a legendary founder. Over 60 hours of gameplay so far and loving it. In a great guild and having fun farming, gathering, crafting and training up a character for PvP. Having 10,000 concurrent players on a single server is like a breath of fresh air. The world is alive. And you know when the CEO of the company has over 2500+ posts on the forum (along with many of the devs) then the game is going in the right direction.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just watched the trailer for Crowfall
Who's Gordan Walton? He says he used to be an Executive Producer Ultima Online at one point?