• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Finds

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't blame drugs, embrace them.

Edit

The same goes for Fridgster

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about the fact that man has achieved a temperature of 4 TRILLION degrees celsius. That's enough to melt neutrons.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Centralia, PA or Silent Hill?

I walked Graffiti Highway about ten years ago and am sad to have learned it's now covered over. Yes, I guess I was a trespasser.

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me drop just one more as this is a pointless endeavor.

I heard this for the first time just a few months ago, lead to it by Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader(excellent book series for boring people like me). I recommend the Ebook version if checking out of the library ;).

A Johnny Cash song and my little city, born and raised, but left. Shocked me really. Interesting story in itself but I'll let Mr. Cash tell it.

Last edited:

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
What the hell, I'll drop another since I'm bored af and need to entertain myself.

Here is another for Halloween .

Dude dolls are weird/creepy... never liked them or clowns which some people think fun. I tried to burn my sister's barbie dolls as a kid just to have them defigured and more creepy. Good news she didn't want them so got thrown away. Bad news I had to buy her new ones with my meager allowance. Lesson of this story is! You need to burn that museum down and buy them a new one.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spectroscopy has always amazed me. It's like we were handed a key to understanding the universe, we just needed to find it when we were ready.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This place is really cool and has quite a backstory. It's definitely worth a stop if ever in the area. Even if you don't plan on staying a night they offer ghost tours.

And for bikers there are some great rides in the area too.

Edited to add motorcycle link

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For good or for bad, @skett is keeping me going here. Thank you.

Another hotel once known for it's curative waters. This place is amazing! Beautiful, luxurious, and it has quite a history of famous guests. It's way out of my class but felt elite for a night, ate wagyu and everything. I have a fond memory of standing on the atrium balcony with my wife and a long island ice tea in hand, listening to the pianist down below. Magic.

There is also a novel and subsequent movie based on it "So Cold the River". They are okay. Creepy vibe, horror, but the story never really came together for me.

Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Penderrin I can spend days looking up trivial stuff

this is a fun
placehttps://www.odditycentral.com/

Keep it coming!

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Today I'll go with a person. He was once a little well known but probably not so much today so I'll throw it out there. He was quite a controversial figure and has made a lot of enemies along the way but always with the best intentions. The Amazing Randi. I hate to use an obituary article but what better than to capture his life.

There is also a great documentary free on YouTube if interested, filmed and released before his death. "An Honest Liar"

Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
interesting read ty ill have to watch that documentary

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Though this bridge is very well known, the wild construction may not be. If this idea of using pressurized caissons were passed by me for funding I would have rejected it, said it would never work. I would have been so wrong.

And today I just learned a caisson was used in another bridge construction even earlier, the Royal Albert Bridge in England. It may have been different though, not pressurized, since I haven't read of "the bends" here. I'll plead ignorance.

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1699641039072.png

*I do all my Stratics on the phone. I have no idea if this picture will be oversized on a computer... Someday I'll take the effort to look.

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i seen this in a documentary very cool

btw love Sid Meiers never played the pirates game tho ill have to try it some day im sure its on gog

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
An endless lightning storm over a region sounds like something from a fantasy novel but it's real!

Now I've sailed this lake a hundred times in the late 80's but only in the Sid Meier's Pirates! vIdeo game. I'd sure love to see this someday.
Dude in that video needs his own post here....

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought this was an interesting page in history. There's a whole lot more to it than this article and I've heard slightly different accounts as with all history I guess. The cages make it real for me.

This one has religion and politics at its center but it's just a historical story and not a talking point so I'll go for it.

I'll report on myself and let a moderator decide if it can stay.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's hard to believe this place is public but it's real.

A good place for all you treasure hunters to test your skill. Also, no critters to jump you, well unless you are swarmed by reporters after a major find.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
November gale season is upon us so I thought I'd add this one to remember even though it's well known. The Fateful Journey is worth the read.

And the excellent Gordon Lightfoot song - also worth a listen again, in memory.

It's been pretty calm so far this year as far as I know.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since it's tulip season(lies) I went looking for a good writeup on the old Dutch tulip craze in the 1600s but now I'm reading the story I knew may have been overblown a bit. I'll add it anyway.

As for when the real season rolls around this is the place to go.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll go a bit darker on this one. A prolific female serial killer. I don't think she is all that well known so might be new material.

Here's a summary:

If you want to read more this one is a bit lengthy but adds the details:

She may even still be at large, at age 164.

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another one for the treasure hunters. The Secret! After 40 years though the rest may never be found since things have changed so much.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Happy Thanksgiving !

:grouphug: