• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Information on the "Missing" NEW Books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stupid Miner

I've noticed the NEW books have caused quite a stir, I'm willing to give an explanation to their disappearance. At one point there was an issue concerning Colored books locked down by EM's. I brought the fact there were several books of this nature to the attention of our boss, to insure the issue had been fixed. As it turns out it was fine for us to lock down books for EM related reasons, it was considered to be in poor tastes to basically stick down a recruitment ad for any guild. While I understand the importance of NEW to Siege Perilous, it is not proper for any of us to do any action(s) that can be condoned as favoritism towards any one group of individuals, on any shard not even on Siege. It was requested that they be removed, and so they have been. I know that there had already been some conflict from members of the Siege community asking "If NEW Can have them why can't we?", it only goes to show that yes it is in fact a show of favoritism and needed corrected.

As an alternative, I suggest that those interested, post on the Message Board I placed in the wedding office next door to the Counselors Guild Hall, specifically for this purpose. Yes Siege has no New Haven, but every Non-Asian based shard has EM's and an office there, I doubt it will be all that hard for people to find.

Posted by EM Quantum
http://www.emquantum.com/EventForums/index.php?board=2.0

Dunno if this is posted somewhere else or not.

And since I had trouble with this on the Sonoma Forums. No, I'm not an EM, I'm just in contact with them. *points to title above Avatar*

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Em Quantum, you really have NO IDEA about Siege, have you? Way to help kill our shard, pal.

R

rockytriton

NEW isn't the only guild that takes in newbies and helps them out.

John Connelly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"If NEW Can have them why can't we?"

I challenge EM Quantum to name one group of true Siege players who asked this. I don't believe it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It is useless to speculate as to who. If the books have been deemed a show of favoritism, it is time to accept that and move on. Perhaps someone will come up with ideas to reach the new players. I recommend starting a new thread to brainstorm on the idea.

M

Midnight Rambler

If those numbers were correct about having 70 people in NEW the last couple weeks as a direct result of these books, then it is truly a shame that they had to go. However, it is pretty consistent and impartial to delete them. There are plenty of guilds I wouldn't want to see with books locked down at the banks asking for recruitment...

It is cool though that the shard is getting attention when we go ask about things on Uhall, that's a main part of why I left last time.

I have always pondered how to get the word out about NEW, or just help others in general. I am in no way a religious guy, but after I made the move to Siege I was going around professing how I had "seen the light" as it were. I even went back to production shards and gave the spiel to many at the bank. Of course, so like the mormons that I refuse to answer the door to, I was met with scorn and relative disinterest. So, I assume like God and hallucigenetic drugs, Siege is something that you have to just find on your own when the time is right for you.

That being said, there is no doubt that having easy access to information is a major benefit for new players. I for one, have no idea about this EM spot that that each shard has. And I have been playing for 11 years. Secondly, and this seems to be backed by numbers, people don't bother checking stratics (at least a good amount of players).

The answer to me seems simple and perhaps possible across all shards. Make a sort of bulletin board at each bank, or a select major few (brit, luna, glow, and what have you) that allows guilds to post their title and a paragraph or so about them. There would have to be some sort of decay rate on this board I guess, but I think you get my general idea. This sort of easy access to knowledge would be helpful for all guilds across all shards and couldn't be too hard to get going.

M

MerchantAtHome

I've noticed the NEW books have caused quite a stir, I'm willing to give an explanation to their disappearance. At one point there was an issue concerning Colored books locked down by EM's. I brought the fact there were several books of this nature to the attention of our boss, to insure the issue had been fixed. As it turns out it was fine for us to lock down books for EM related reasons, it was considered to be in poor tastes to basically stick down a recruitment ad for any guild. While I understand the importance of NEW to Siege Perilous, it is not proper for any of us to do any action(s) that can be condoned as favoritism towards any one group of individuals, on any shard not even on Siege. It was requested that they be removed, and so they have been. I know that there had already been some conflict from members of the Siege community asking "If NEW Can have them why can't we?", it only goes to show that yes it is in fact a show of favoritism and needed corrected.

As an alternative, I suggest that those interested, post on the Message Board I placed in the wedding office next door to the Counselors Guild Hall, specifically for this purpose. Yes Siege has no New Haven, but every Non-Asian based shard has EM's and an office there, I doubt it will be all that hard for people to find.

Posted by EM Quantum
http://www.emquantum.com/EventForums/index.php?board=2.0

Dunno if this is posted somewhere else or not.

And since I had trouble with this on the Sonoma Forums. No, I'm not an EM, I'm just in contact with them. *points to title above Avatar*
Thanks for the info.

Wow, that was incredibly dumb.

EA will spare no effort to drive people away it seems.

S

Stupid Miner

It's the one in West Britain.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is useless to speculate as to who. If the books have been deemed a show of favoritism, it is time to accept that and move on. Perhaps someone will come up with ideas to reach the new players. I recommend starting a new thread to brainstorm on the idea.
Hang on. This same person was sent an email specifically asking if placing the books was okay. The answer was yes. Now apparently it is no.

Well, you can forget me for one doing anything more to help out with bringing people to Siege. What's the point in us doing these events when the one thing that is doing more than we ever can is nerfed for no reason?

M

MerchantAtHome

Am I the only one who would like to know who complained so I can help grief them off the shard?

*mumbles evilness*

C

Castor

LOL...the more things change, the more they stay the same around here i guess.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I understand your frustration. I wish it could be otherwise. it appears than a blanket decision was made on this sort of thing and implemented across all shards.

I am sorry it has to be so. The E.M. program seems to have come under much scrutiny. It is unfortunate that some players can not see the "big picture" and only see what is in it for themselves.

Hoffs, you have my utmost respect. *bows*

R

Reginus

With this bogus everybody gets everything or nobody gets anything attitude, we don't even need an EM. Siege is just not the kind of place for that philosophy. As it is, Siege is the last step out the door for a lot of UO players. You might think it would be beneficial to get new players to stay on Siege. Removing those NEW books was a very bad move.

G

Goron

Wow, you guys are a bunch of childish brats. Why get so hostile to the EM?
It was the right decision to not have locked down NEW books.
NEW is a great guild yes, but it is NOT the official UO newbie guild. It IS IMPARTIAL to an extent- this due to affiliation of its leadership. To allow NEW such leeway is totally biased.

Imagine if we had a bunch of books locked down for TnT recruitment... I am sure you people would be the first to pancake and moan like babies.

Grow up.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With this bogus everybody gets everything or nobody gets anything attitude, we don't even need an EM. Siege is just not the kind of place for that philosophy. As it is, Siege is the last step out the door for a lot of UO players. You might think it would be beneficial to get new players to stay on Siege. Removing those NEW books was a very bad move.
QFT

M

MerchantAtHome

Wow, you guys are a bunch of childish brats. Why get so hostile to the EM?
It was the right decision to not have locked down NEW books.
NEW is a great guild yes, but it is NOT the official UO newbie guild. It IS IMPARTIAL to an extent- this due to affiliation of its leadership. To allow NEW such leeway is totally biased.

Imagine if we had a bunch of books locked down for TnT recruitment... I am sure you people would be the first to pancake and moan like babies.

Grow up.
If TnT was a guild specifically designed to help new players and membership was limited to one month, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

You have people on this shard who work hard to get and keep new players. You aren't one. I'm not one. TnT as a guild doesn't do that.

But, NEW does. So, I am willing to make an exception for them. No, I am glad to make an exception for them.

G

Goron

If TnT was a guild specifically designed to help new players and membership was limited to one month, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

You have people on this shard who work hard to get and keep new players. You aren't one. I'm not one. TnT as a guild doesn't do that.

But, NEW does. So, I am willing to make an exception for them. No, I am glad to make an exception for them.
http://my.uo.com/cgi-bin/guilds.pl?g=90762242b3ae4ab5:13
read it and weep

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we're supposed to see that Goron's buddies have created their own version of NEW. I have never even hard of these people or this guild. . .

Grow up

S

Shalimar/Cleo

The last time that guild abbreviation was brought to my attention, Kelmo was the gm, Luka the helper, if I'm not mistaken that is.

I'll go back to placing books for the time being, when time allows. It was a nice gesture from our previous EM Alcor and I thank him for trying to do something positive for Siege. It's nice to know we have the support of the majority of players, thanks again.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would help you, if you would have me. I am not clever enough to copy books. I could place them and donate time to answer questions and provide gates to the NEW house.

B

Bruin

Goron -

TnT or any other murderous guild is welcome to have a Co-Leader amongst NEW if I am not mistaken. Anyone willing to devote time to NEW to help the new of this land is welcome to assist, whether they play as a thief, crafter, good guy, or murderer. Just because no people from any murderous guilds join NEW to become one of the Co-Leader does not mean NEW is not neutral.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last time that guild abbreviation was brought to my attention, Kelmo was the gm, Luka the helper, if I'm not mistaken that is.

I'll go back to placing books for the time being, when time allows. It was a nice gesture from our previous EM Alcor and I thank him for trying to do something positive for Siege. It's nice to know we have the support of the majority of players, thanks again.
Indeed, Kelmo was the GM of STAR at one point. It was set up some time ago by my guild in order to assist new players who wanted to pk/pvp/steal from othe players, in order to get some experience from the getgo. Due to lack of time and his obligations here on Stratics, it never really got off the ground, but we feel it still has merit and have recently been working to get it off the ground.

Shalimar - If you run across any such players, please send them our way! I'd like to take the opportunity to make it clear that STAR isn't set up to compete with NEW, but to compliment the NEW player experience. Any new players we happen to run across that are looking for NEW or who prefer the protection the NEW guild tag has to offer, will be assisted in joining NEW, just as we have done in the past. STAR will operate much like the DARK guild that Rykus used to run. Same setup as NEW, with fewer rules of engagement and players will be introduced to the guild/guild leader of their choosing in order to facilitate the guilding process.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if this is truely the EM posting, then we all know who is to blame for this. Sweeny was openly asking why one guild gets it, and others dont. He also wanted a thieves book locked down to recruit. This was at the cat event. Im sure many can back this up.

Good move. Killing this game on step at a time.

M

MerchantAtHome

Indeed, Kelmo was the GM of STAR at one point. It was set up some time ago by my guild in order to assist new players who wanted to pk/pvp/steal from othe players, in order to get some experience from the getgo. Due to lack of time and his obligations here on Stratics, it never really got off the ground, but we feel it still has merit and have recently been working to get it off the ground.

Shalimar - If you run across any such players, please send them our way! I'd like to take the opportunity to make it clear that STAR isn't set up to compete with NEW, but to compliment the NEW player experience. Any new players we happen to run across that are looking for NEW or who prefer the protection the NEW guild tag has to offer, will be assisted in joining NEW, just as we have done in the past. STAR will operate much like the DARK guild that Rykus used to run. Same setup as NEW, with fewer rules of engagement and players will be introduced to the guild/guild leader of their choosing in order to facilitate the guilding process.
Pardon me, but that seems like a poor idea to me.

Let me get this straight. You take new players, i.e. players without skill or equipment and put a tag on them that says pk/pvp/thief?????

Wait, I see the brilliance of it. You will take these new players and put that tag on them so that they will get griefed off the shard before they even get started.

Brilliant!!!!

No wonder you are opposed to NEW. Their goal is just the opposite.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Pardon me, but that seems like a poor idea to me.

Let me get this straight. You take new players, i.e. players without skill or equipment and put a tag on them that says pk/pvp/thief?????

Wait, I see the brilliance of it. You will take these new players and put that tag on them so that they will get griefed off the shard before they even get started.

Brilliant!!!!

No wonder you are opposed to NEW. Their goal is just the opposite.
Kat is not opposed to NEW. She just stated that. I still think the STAR idea is good. I just did not follow through.

While I appreciate your passion, stick to facts. Don't make them up.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Evermore,

1. I didn't ask for, nor do I care about your opinion.
2. I am not at all opposed to NEW, in fact, I support them and donate regularly.
3. Not every new player to this shard has the same playstyle or needs.

M

MerchantAtHome

Kat is not opposed to NEW. She just stated that. I still think the STAR idea is good. I just did not follow through.

While I appreciate your passion, stick to facts. Don't make them up.
I am the King of England.

Seriously, just because someone says something doesn't mean it is true. It rings especially hollow when a member of the same guild rants and raves all night about the evils of NEW.

Here is what will happen. STAR will flop. Again. NEW leadership will get mad and stop trying so hard. There will be less new players.

Does that sound like a good thing?

And to think, all we needed was for some selfish jerks to mind their own business.

M

MerchantAtHome

Evermore,

1. I didn't ask for, nor do I care about your opinion.
2. I am not at all opposed to NEW, in fact, I support them and donate regularly.
3. Not every new player to this shard has the same playstyle or needs.
If you don't care then don't bother replying.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* I only see one ranting at the moment.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Why are we turning on one another?

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And to think, all we needed was for some selfish jerks to mind their own business.
Good advice. Try that isntead of babbling incoherently.

M

MerchantAtHome

Good advice. Try that isntead of babbling incoherently.
You can't help yourself can you?

I thought you didn't care? I guess that was just another untruth.

We'll add it to the list.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
This infighting is silly. It does not help at all. The situation is what it is. The books are gone. If some of us *coughs* put as much energy into promoting the shard as we do bashing one another, it might be a different place.

M

MerchantAtHome

This infighting is silly. It does not help at all. The situation is what it is. The books are gone. If some of us *coughs* put as much energy into promoting the shard as we do bashing one another, it might be a different place.
I wish you had given that advice to Goron, Kat and the rest of the TnT gang before they got the NEW books removed and eviscerated the momentum NEW had going.

You know they think they've done a good thing? Unbelievable.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I wish you had given that advice to Goron, Kat and the rest of the TnT gang before they got the NEW books removed and eviscerated the momentum NEW had going.

You know they think they've done a good thing? Unbelievable.
You are so way off base...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Really? Enlighten me.
I am pretty certain that none of the major guilds objected to the books. Here on Siege any way. I do understand why they were removed. EM favoritism has been accused every time the EMs have been introduced.

It is an unfortunate thing that many are greedy. If one guild, even NEW, gets a perk, some want that and more.

I have never been a fan of EMs. That is a fact. Not the persons, the program.

Back to my point. All the major guilds support NEW in one way or another. KoC, TnT alliance, Gil, all of them.

The books being removed was not just a Siege thing. It has happened on other shards too. It was a policy decision made on some level that Siege players have no effect on.

Blaming any one guild or person is silly. This is a game wide thing. Trust me. I am all over these forums. I mod three, including Uhall. I visit almost all of the other shard forums as either a lurker or a participant. I know what I speak of.

The books are gone. Get over it. Alchor had the best intentions. We all know that. It was not necessarily the Siege thing that made it all tumble.

M

MerchantAtHome

I am pretty certain that none of the major guilds objected to the books. Here on Siege any way. I do understand why they were removed. EM favoritism has been accused every time the EMs have been introduced.

It is an unfortunate thing that many are greedy. If one guild, even NEW, gets a perk, some want that and more.

I have never been a fan of EMs. That is a fact. Not the persons, the program.

Back to my point. All the major guilds support NEW in one way or another. KoC, TnT alliance, Gil, all of them.

The books being removed was not just a Siege thing. It has happened on other shards too. It was a policy decision made on some level that Siege players have no effect on.

Blaming any one guild or person is silly. This is a game wide thing. Trust me. I am all over these forums. I mod three, including Uhall. I visit almost all of the other shard forums as either a lurker or a participant. I know what I speak of.

The books are gone. Get over it. Alchor had the best intentions. We all know that. It was not necessarily the Siege thing that made it all tumble.
Your opinion of EM's is irrelevant.

When the EM says that people on Siege complained about the books, who do you think did the complaining?

Someone obviously did, the EM said as much. It was clearly a factor in the decision to remove the books, the EM told us that.

So far, the number of people I have seen complain about them is pretty limited. So, it isn't too hard to know where to look in my opinion.

You can try to generalize it. However, I don't believe the books would have been removed if no one on Siege had complained.

It is my opinion that the books were a good thing. As such, I intend to remember those responsible and make sure I do my part to "remind" them, as often as possible.

You have always been more forgiving than me. It is one of the reasons I'm still motivated to play and you aren't.

I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing. It's a truth though.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
It is your truth I suppose...

M

MerchantAtHome

It is your truth I suppose...
Kelmo, it wasn't too long ago that you posted on these boards that you weren't playing on Siege at all.

Then, in the last few weeks, you posted something about limiting yourself to hanging out in your Inn because you really didn't enjoy anything else.

Now, maybe that isn't true. Maybe you are active as heck and just like to play the victim on the boards.

I take you at your word though. Feel free to let me know if I'm in error in doing so.

S

Sweeney

Do not get mad at Kelmo, do not get mad at Goron or rockytriton or EM Quantum. It most likely was myself that brought the issue up, but if there was no truth behind the issue it would have been forgotten. Nobody was complaining before the books were placed, remember they had only been placed a month.

I am not against NEW, I point new players towards it when I have the chance. However I do believe the previous EM was a bit too close to the situation. If the previous EM had refused the request to place them, would people be so loudly proclaiming the death of Siege because of it? A person saying they will not help out the shard anymore because preferential treatment was rescinded does not make sense. That person should work just as hard as they did in the first place.

As has been previously pointed out, there is more than one group of people that would like to help new players adjust to the shard. Why should one be given a special advertisement, because they are bigger?

Make me the scapegoat, kill me if you can. Just think about what a potential player will think when they read all of these "**** the new EM", "the shard is dead now" posts. And so soon after we all proclaimed how nice Siege was on UHall. I doubt it was the books that made you all so proud of this shard.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Kelmo, it wasn't too long ago that you posted on these boards that you weren't playing on Siege at all.

Then, in the last few weeks, you posted something about limiting yourself to hanging out in your Inn because you really didn't enjoy anything else.

Now, maybe that isn't true. Maybe you are active as heck and just like to play the victim on the boards.

I take you at your word though. Feel free to let me know if I'm in error in doing so.

*smiles* I took part in the Siege tour... Where were you?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I expect to do many more. Where will you be?

M

MerchantAtHome

*smiles* I took part in the Siege tour... Where were you?
And what else have you done recently? Do you limit yourself to the once a week or once a month shard event?

Those are good things to do. No doubt. Some of us play a bit more than that though. Again, not a judgement, just offering some perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.