• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Increased Rate for Rare Wood?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
A few months ago, I decided to finally finish GMing my lumberjack. Afterward, I spent about 10 hours on her building up my supply of Ash (I had plans to do some bowcrafting). During these 10-or-so hours, I collected plenty of Ash, some heartwood and some bloodwood, but no frostwood whatsoever. Not a single log.

Yesterday, I decided to start training an imbuer. Unfortunately, I gave away all of my oak to my friends when they were training their imbuers. Accordingly, I dusted off my lumberjack this afternoon and started farming oak. In the past 5 hours, I've collected almost 500 frostwood.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in rare wood drop rates? Either there's been some kind of change or karma was kicking my butt a few months ago via RNG.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm this makes me want to dust off my lumberjack and test it out. I will let you know. :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My lumberjack is human, too. I wonder if I'd have even better results with an elf.

I also too my elven miner out last night and mined 600 valorite. Pretty awesome.

I hope you have similar success. :D

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't lumbered any frostwood since that resource publish. Every other wood I have gotten but no frost, not one log.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I spent about an hour chopping with my elf lumberjack in Ter Mur. I really don't like chopping there but I wanted to obtain crystal shards too. In that time I found 2 bloodwood and 2 heartwood trees. That's better than what I am used to, but still no frostwood. I guess time will tell if the rare wood spawn has been increased. Since the resource publish I've only ever found one frostwood tree and it only gave me 20 frostwood logs at that. Congrats on the valorite ore too!!! I really need to turn my miner into an elf but dreaded having another ugly character. :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I find the benefits for mining purposes to be heavily in favor of human (the ore frequency doesn't work the way the devs think it does, and it dilutes the elven bonus). Lumberjack is much better as an elf, though.