• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Increased feeding frequency?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has the "Happiness deterioration" been sped up in pets? I remember being able to play for a couple of days without needing to feed my pets. Now, doing the Yukio questline I have to feed several times an hour.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I found my pets losing loyalty quickly on Yukio quest, too.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What are you doing to make your pets unhappy? The last time I fed my pets was when I bonded them and they are always extremely happy and I do not constantly command them or make them angry.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, my gameplay hasn't changed and yet my pets need fed more often than before.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My pets are giving the looks around confused message a lot. When they wonder off chasing something you have to be in sight when you call them back or they lose loyalty.

I'm either using the pet ball or logging off and on when we get separated.

Cus seem like they want to do what they want to do and get angry when you reign them in.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is a pic of it just now happening. I was only this far away. Dog is under the tree by that ele.
That message means he lost loyalty. I walked closer and did follow command again and he went back to wonderfully.

1618695207065.png

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I haven't had this happen at all. I usually don't ask my pet to come back to me, he usually does on his own when he's done doing what he's doing. If he is surrounded by critters he'll eventually kill them all and then come back to me so I wait patiently.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder if it's an overall change, or Tokuno are being treated like dungeons which had this problem for a long time.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Seen this at Navery too when the pet gets teleported away.
"*looks around in confusion*"

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, basically, after all the requests to change the loyalty system because of pets going wild without apparent warning, they go and make it worse. Peachy.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Has the "Happiness deterioration" been sped up in pets? I remember being able to play for a couple of days without needing to feed my pets. Now, doing the Yukio questline I have to feed several times an hour.
I've experienced the 'looks around desperately' prompt far more often lately too albeit when checking my pets lore, they are barely a flicker below maximum loyalty. From my experience in the past this used to happen pretty much at the pets lowest point of loyalty, now it appears to be happening very early.
If what i'm experiencing is accurate, this can only be a good thing although perhaps it may be happening too early and often now but I would rather that than a last second warning.

And yes, it appears this change was made globally as per the last patch notes.

Publish 110 – Ultima Online

pets.jpg

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm seeing the "looks around desperately" a lot more often of late too.
I wish they'd give us a "never ever goes feral." Since it's 2021 I'm allowed to wish again, right? Right? Oops this isn't Unleashed.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't understand what you people are doing to make that happen? I play my tamer 95% of the time....I have never had this message. My playstyle is different I think? I don't usually command my pets unless it's for a boss or something like Yamadon which can target me from like 8 screens away lol but most of the time I wait....if the mob targets me first, I usually have my pet guarding me so he'll attack it and 99% of the time kill it before it gets to me. I don't *All follow me* but rather wait for him to return to me on his own.

When I do *All Kill* or *Name Kill* (As I tend to call my pets by name) and I hear him snarl at me, I don't get the *looks around* message....as soon as I hear him snarl, I walk up to him, feed him then *Heath Come* (Heath is obviously the name of my pet) then *Heath Follow me, Heath Guard me* and he's fine.

He rarely snarls at me, the only issue I have with this particular pet is that when there are multiple targets...he'll either go after the one that's the farthest away first, OR he'll take a bite out of the one closest to him, then move on to the one farthest away, dispatch that one and then come back and finish off the first one :/ it's rather odd behavior but he is a rather odd pet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand what you people are doing to make that happen? I play my tamer 95% of the time....I have never had this message. My playstyle is different I think? I don't usually command my pets unless it's for a boss or something like Yamadon which can target me from like 8 screens away lol but most of the time I wait....if the mob targets me first, I usually have my pet guarding me so he'll attack it and 99% of the time kill it before it gets to me. I don't *All follow me* but rather wait for him to return to me on his own.

When I do *All Kill* or *Name Kill* (As I tend to call my pets by name) and I hear him snarl at me, I don't get the *looks around* message....as soon as I hear him snarl, I walk up to him, feed him then *Heath Come* (Heath is obviously the name of my pet) then *Heath Follow me, Heath Guard me* and he's fine.

He rarely snarls at me, the only issue I have with this particular pet is that when there are multiple targets...he'll either go after the one that's the farthest away first, OR he'll take a bite out of the one closest to him, then move on to the one farthest away, dispatch that one and then come back and finish off the first one :/ it's rather odd behavior but he is a rather odd pet.
How many times have you done the quest for earrings. A lot of players are in the 25+ times on LS. I am slacking and only done it 14 times.

You saw the message I got from just wanting the pet not to attack that ele in the pic.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've experienced the 'looks around desperately' prompt far more often lately too albeit when checking my pets lore, they are barely a flicker below maximum loyalty. From my experience in the past this used to happen pretty much at the pets lowest point of loyalty, now it appears to be happening very early.
If what i'm experiencing is accurate, this can only be a good thing although perhaps it may be happening too early and often now but I would rather that than a last second warning.

And yes, it appears this change was made globally as per the last patch notes.

Publish 110 – Ultima Online

View attachment 118680
I am not even talking about the messages. I am hyper-vigilant regarding loyalty and immediately check if I see the pet did not obey the order. Usually I see a loyalty drop at that point. And now I have to feed it every 20 min or so on average. It is annoying and dangerous with regular pets. It becomes doubly so with Banes.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How many times have you done the quest for earrings. A lot of players are in the 25+ times on LS. I am slacking and only done it 14 times.

You saw the message I got from just wanting the pet not to attack that ele in the pic.

Only 4 times.....I'm solo and it feels more like work to me so I just take my time....BUT I do other things with my tamer....have since the patch and I don't have the issues mentioned above.

Like I said, I tend not to command my pets unless absolutely necessary. If I had been in that situation you pictured above? I would have let my pet kill it and then wait for him to return to me. He wants to kill things...why should I stop him? There were no other mobs around that I could see in your picture and it would have made your pet happy if you were to allow him to kill it....that's how I play my tamer. It would have taken a few seconds and then you would have been on your way.

In more sticky situations I will ask him to follow me.....more often then not I will walk over to where he is, hop on him and invis rather then command.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am not even talking about the messages. I am hyper-vigilant regarding loyalty and immediately check if I see the pet did not obey the order. Usually I see a loyalty drop at that point. And now I have to feed it every 20 min or so on average. It is annoying and dangerous with regular pets. It becomes doubly so with Banes.
I'd be interested to hear if it is happening in specific areas of Tokuno as I'm certainly not experiencing the same. As I mentioned I do get the message more often but when I check the loyalty it's pretty much always 'wonderfully happy' and rarely drops lower. If it does drop, a command or two puts it's back to max. I genuinely cant remember the last time I fed any of my main pets.

If your pet is refusing commands as often as it sounds, there is clearly something deeper wrong.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it has more to do with the lazy and grindy quest design more than anything. The earrings quest requires 181 mobs to be killed per run (some top-notch design effort right there). Majority of these mobs are trash, i.e. take a couple of bites for your average pets. So, if in the course of normal gameplay you'd be saying: "All Kill, All Follow" every few minutes, here you are doing the same multiple times a minute. So the chances per unit time for the pet to experience the line of sight bug loss of loyalty is that much higher.
TL DR The same thing is happening as before, just faster because we kill a lot more mobs per hour.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got the message once it was at a idoc. I was in the barrels. Came out was down a level. Rode cu for a bit he was back at max.

I dont think I have gave a pet food since bonding them. Unless its the horse I use for orchard on roof runs. Or during the event where they needed the one kind of food to damage targets

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am still not getting the message every time a pet loses loyalty.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've seen them sometimes - a little more often then they used to - but still doesn't show every time.