• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS In Testing: Combat Changes, Doom Artifact Upgrade.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I see name and crafting mats, but I don't see what the finished product is property wise... you know like what properties do the cuffs have??
I don't quite remember and I didn't take a screenshot of the page that they took down with the stats for the new artefacts. :(
Hopefully they will update the publish details with them again. Otherwise, I will be able to check TC tomorrow.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
"Level 3 provides +5 Hit Chance Increase, +5 Defense Chance Increase, +5 Strength Bonus, and +5% Damage Bonus"

:) I think that Warrior's gifts settled at a good compromise versus the first suggestion of +15 hit points going over the cap. I'm very happy about this.

"Increased Hail Storm mana cost from 40 to 50."

:( Probably biased here since my main toon is a Mystic Mage, I just don't see why this was necessary.

"Increased Throwing Called Shot mana cost from 20 to 40."

:( I feel like cool down should have been adjusted downward here if they were going to increase mana cost.

"Increased display radius from 18 to 24 tiles."

:) Awesome!!

"The Fleshrenderer, Darknight Creeper, Impaler, Shadow Knight, and Abyssal Horror have updated AIs, stats, and skills."

:) Good work here. The Doom Gauntlet was in dire need of a difficulty boost.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Also wanted to add it's really great to see how they built on using older Doom artifacts to be made into new artifacts. Hopefully this style of item updating will carry over to some Peerless drops next...

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
"Level 3 provides +5 Hit Chance Increase, +5 Defense Chance Increase, +5 Strength Bonus, and +5% Damage Bonus"

:) I think that Warrior's gifts settled at a good compromise versus the first suggestion of +15 hit points going over the cap. I'm very happy about this.
Outside of people that don't know how to build suits, this finalized Warrior's Gift is essentially worthless. Anyone that uses potions will not want or need the +5 Strength since purple petals already exist, and I can't imagine many people are running around with not 45/45 HCI/DCI. 5% Damage bonus is .5-1.5 damage per hit depending on what you're doing. It's more useful than Saving Throws in PvM since it was entirely worthless there, but overall it's still a pretty weak mastery in comparison to the other ones.

EDIT: And according to this post, Doom is still a joke:
@Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna

Just did 3 full rounds of doom. Not a single death, Mobs are simple and you get 20 blood off the DF which lets you craft 4 of the new artifacts. Seeing as how Doom has been around for 13 years the market is already over saturated with every ingredient besides the Blood. In one round of doom on a dead server I can farm enough to make 4 artifacts. This will allow the market to become heavily flooded and make this publish obsolete. I fail to see how this is improving the game experience. Did you make changes to the mobs, yea, but they are useless in today's meta for pvm. The loot is garbage and the DF is still insanely easy.

Please re-think this whole update because at this rate in less than 3 months the whole thing will become untouched.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Outside of people that don't know how to build suits, this finalized Warrior's Gift is essentially worthless. Anyone that uses potions will not want or need the +5 Strength since purple petals already exist, and I can't imagine many people are running around with not 45/45 HCI/DCI. 5% Damage bonus is .5-1.5 damage per hit depending on what you're doing. It's more useful than Saving Throws in PvM since it was entirely worthless there, but overall it's still a pretty weak mastery in comparison to the other ones.
It allows you to reallocate points from Strength to Intelligence if you're a dexxer (assuming you're already at max dex). So you can still use your petals AND get a couple more points in mana. That alone is better than Saving Throw.

And for all of those uber-jewels that fall short in maybe one mod or another, like HCI/DCI/DI, it helps to offset that.

Furthermore, not everyone builds multi-plat suits for every single toon. A lot of people will find this useful. Overall, it sure is a heckuva lot better than Saving Throw.

No doubt that other people will still use Chiv/Bushido or others to get the +15 mana, but this atleast makes it a lot more reasonable to use Swords mastery again, amongst others.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It allows you to reallocate points from Strength to Intelligence if you're a dexxer (assuming you're already at max dex). So you can still use your petals AND get a couple more points in mana. That alone is better than Saving Throw.

And for all of those uber-jewels that fall short in maybe one mod or another, like HCI/DCI/DI, it helps to offset that.

Furthermore, not everyone builds multi-plat suits for every single toon. A lot of people will find this useful. Overall, it sure is a heckuva lot better than Saving Throw.

No doubt that other people will still use Chiv/Bushido or others to get the +15 mana, but this atleast makes it a lot more reasonable to use Swords mastery again, amongst others.
It's very easy to already have max natural intelligence (125) on a dexxer if you're using potions, even without EP or alchemy.

The game and the items in it have been balanced around achieving 45/45 HCI/DCI for a very long time, so achieving them was never a problem, especially in PvM suits where the requirements are much lower (e.g. not needing EP or eaters). Also, there is no Damage Increase included in Warrior's Gift.

I don't even know what a multi-plat PvM suit would look like. I'm sure they've been built but they are wholly unnecessary. You can spend a pittance (e.g. 100-300m) on a PvM suit and function at almost max efficiency.

The Chivalry, Bushido, and Ninjitsu masteries actually have utility in addition to stats, while the weapon masteries have no useful utility or spells.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hmm... this tactics change means I can drop tactics down to 70 on my macer to max healing and anatomy. With the +10 tactics talisman and the +5 DI bonus from the mastery, I will have a total of 265 damage increase, down from 271 she has right now.
Not too shabby. Would have preferred if the DI bonus from the mastery was at least 15%, but this change will greatly increase survivability on my macer.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hmm... this tactics change means I can drop tactics down to 70 on my macer to max healing and anatomy. With the +10 tactics talisman and the +5 DI bonus from the mastery, I will have a total of 265 damage increase, down from 271 she has right now.
Not too shabby. Would have preferred if the DI bonus from the mastery was at least 15%, but this change will greatly increase survivability on my macer.
Important to note, Warrior's Gift does not have any Damage Increase, the item mod you get on weapons, jewelry, talismans, and some armor. It has a flat 5% damage bonus that will not be reflected in your character status window.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's very easy to already have max natural intelligence (125) on a dexxer if you're using potions, even without EP or alchemy.

The game and the items in it have been balanced around achieving 45/45 HCI/DCI for a very long time, so achieving them was never a problem, especially in PvM suits where the requirements are much lower (e.g. not needing EP or eaters). Also, there is no Damage Increase included in Warrior's Gift.

I don't even know what a multi-plat PvM suit would look like. I'm sure they've been built but they are wholly unnecessary. You can spend a pittance (e.g. 100-300m) on a PvM suit and function at almost max efficiency.

The Chivalry, Bushido, and Ninjitsu masteries actually have utility in addition to stats, while the weapon masteries have no useful utility or spells.
Most PVM dexxers aren't using potions. Throwers probably do, but sampires and archers are probably using two handed weapons.

The patch notes say 5% DI is there. Maybe it's a typo.

Throwing masteries are very useful in PVM and so is Onslaught from Swords. The Mace Fighting masteries aren't bad either... but let's face it, there aren't too many macers out there.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Important to note, Warrior's Gift does not have any Damage Increase, the item mod you get on weapons, jewelry, talismans, and some armor. It has a flat 5% damage bonus that will not be reflected in your character status window.
That 5% is summed to what you get from tactics, anatomy, strength and lumberjack that is then added to the 100% DI from items, so it is doesn't count against the 100 DI cap from items, much akin the damage bonus from provo songs doesn't.
Which makes it more useful. But it should have been at least 10%.

PS. Stagger is awesome. It is even better than onslaught for me.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Most PVM dexxers aren't using potions. Throwers probably do, but sampires and archers are probably using two handed weapons.

The patch notes say 5% DI is there. Maybe it's a typo.

Throwing masteries are very useful in PVM and so is Onslaught from Swords. The Mace Fighting masteries aren't bad either... but let's face it, there aren't too many macers out there.
It's totally reasonable to take your weapon off in PvM to chug potions in order to get a massive boost in stats; about 40 stats (with no EP or alchemy), which is eight times the stat boost of the Warrior's Gift you're happy with.

Again, that is not what the patch notes say:
  • Level 3 provides +5 Hit Chance Increase, +5 Defense Chance Increase, +5 Strength Bonus, and +5% Damage Bonus
5% Damage Bonus is not equivalent in form or function to 5 Damage Increase.

I've never heard of anyone actually using either of those. Called Shot provides a HCI and DI increase, I'm not sure if they overcap but overcapped HCI is no good in PvM. If they don't overcap then once again it's only benefiting those that cannot build proper suits. Same with Onslaught as Armor Ignore is and will presumably always be the best way to deal high and maintainable DPS on any PvM character.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
How hard is it to un-equip weapon, chug a str and dex pot and then re-equip your weapon?
I wasn't debating the difficulty of being able to do it. I was simply stating that most PVMers are not doing this, atleast from my experiences.

I've never heard of anyone actually using either of those. Called Shot provides a HCI and DI increase, I'm not sure if they overcap but overcapped HCI is no good in PvM. If they don't overcap then once again it's only benefiting those that cannot build proper suits. Same with Onslaught as Armor Ignore is and will presumably always be the best way to deal high and maintainable DPS on any PvM character.
I use Bushido on my sampire and Chivalry on my Paladin and don't have Swords at 120. With the change in the publish, I will consider making the switch.

The throwing mastery is legit. Elemental fury is a good spell. So is called shot, but the cooldown kind of bites. It's the only 'weapon mastery' where I find myself using both spells regularly. I'd suggest giving it a try.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I wasn't debating the difficulty of being able to do it. I was simply stating that most PVMers are not doing this, atleast from my experiences.
So we should form a rationalized thought based on people choosing to put themselves at a disadvantage? Really?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So we should form a rationalized thought based on people choosing to put themselves at a disadvantage? Really?
Not everyone plays at maximum total 100% efficiency and goes balls to the wall with every suit / template / game style they play. Some people play this game to relax a bit... not to constantly button mash.

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The throwing mastery is legit. Elemental fury is a good spell. So is called shot, but the cooldown kind of bites. It's the only 'weapon mastery' where I find myself using both spells regularly. I'd suggest giving it a try.
While it may be good, it is not better than Enemy of One + chaining Armor Ignores in Wraith form. While I'm not a fan of that fact that AI is the most optimal PvM tactic and is completely brainless, the fact remains that Armor Ignores are the best way to deal damage against almost everything in PvM.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
While it may be good, it is not better than Enemy of One + chaining Armor Ignores in Wraith form. While I'm not a fan of that fact that AI is the most optimal PvM tactic and is completely brainless, the fact remains that Armor Ignores are the best way to deal damage against almost everything in PvM.
I don't disagree with that. My wraith archer is my top damager. Not much can beat chaining AI at 1.25 a hit.

However, I like to mix up my templates. My main thrower doesn't go into wraith form, and he is useful in other ways than being a wraith.

Also, you can cast Elemental Fury while hitting your AI's in between. Elemental fury builds up a burst after X amount of hits.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So the only good thing in the patch is the game window size!! LOLOL
Pretty much. No more template diversity now with them keeping the tactics requirement in. And it looks like the return of uninterruptible Holy Fist, since Faster Casting no longer affects it. So you can now go into Protection and continue to cast Holy Fist at 1.5 seconds

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Not everyone plays at maximum total 100% efficiency and goes balls to the wall with every suit / template / game style they play. Some people play this game to relax a bit... not to constantly button mash.
So we are to balance this game on the casual player that doesn't want to invest the time/energy into improving their game play? If you play to relax, how can you (or they) justify holding the game back to fit their play style?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So we are to balance this game on the casual player that doesn't want to invest the time/energy into improving their game play? If you play to relax, how can you (or they) justify holding the game back to fit their play style?
Acknowledging that every player doesn't use potions doesn't equate to holding the game back.

And yes, the play style of 'casual players' should be addressed too. How dare I advocate such lunacy!

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Acknowledging that every player doesn't use potions doesn't equate to holding the game back.
It does when people like you (the neophyte, casual gamer) ask for 15% DI on a mastery skill because it will make your suit easier to make. I mean, isn't that a selfish reason to want something? It seems to me you are putting your 'wants' over the rest of the player base...No, the pvpers in this thread are not. We are actually asking for things that will benefit the game as a whole.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It does when people like you (the neophyte, casual gamer) ask for 15% DI on a mastery skill because it will make your suit easier to make. I mean, isn't that a selfish reason to want something? It seems to me you are putting your 'wants' over the rest of the player base...No, the pvpers in this thread are not. We are actually asking for things that will benefit the game as a whole.
I am merely acknowledging the way a large amount of the player base actually plays the game. Their wants and opinions matter just as much as yours do.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I am merely acknowledging the way a large amount of the player base actually plays the game. Their wants and opinions matter just as much as yours do.
No, you actually are not. You are trying to bait me into losing my temper so you can flex your moderating muscles. Everything I have stated are things you have advocated for to fit your play style. You are hiding behind a blanketed statement saying most PvMers do not use pots. Most PvMers are casual players that don't want to button smash. When in reality these things are how you play.

I dare you to do a poll so we can really figure this out.

Give up, Merlin. You are a horrible troll and also have nothing credible to contribute to the discussion.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I see name and crafting mats, but I don't see what the finished product is property wise... you know like what properties do the cuffs have??
This picture was something that was posted when they were first announced...

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

"Increased Hail Storm mana cost from 40 to 50."

:( Probably biased here since my main toon is a Mystic Mage, I just don't see why this was necessary.

"Increased Throwing Called Shot mana cost from 20 to 40."

:( I feel like cool down should have been adjusted downward here if they were going to increase mana cost.

"Increased display radius from 18 to 24 tiles."

:) Awesome!!

"The Fleshrenderer, Darknight Creeper, Impaler, Shadow Knight, and Abyssal Horror have updated AIs, stats, and skills."

:) Good work here. The Doom Gauntlet was in dire need of a difficulty boost.
Gauntlet was in need for a big boost for sure, but so was the loot. These new artifacts don't address the fact the old ones have fallen behind the times.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Gauntlet was in need for a big boost for sure, but so was the loot. These new artifacts don't address the fact the old ones have fallen behind the times.
I hear ya... the old ones are have long been obsolete. So I think it makes sense to use them basically as a crafting material instead. At the very least, I think it's a step in the right direction.

And the AI upgrade gives some renewed reason to do the Doom Gauntlet again.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Pics of all the artis are at the bottom of Testing Notes from 2016-12-14 - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics

@Kyronix

The Scholar's Halo definitely looks nice.

Ring of Primal Consumption, I'm failing to see who would use it. If I want luck on a ring, I either go for Compassion's Eye with 250 luck and better properties, or I go for a looted ring with 150 luck and likely more useful properties. Eater 20% + Luck 150 on a ring just isn't as compelling. I'd suggest changing it to a bracelet, with luck bumped to 200. That'd make it a very compelling piece in place of the cleanup sets. Also, in either form, this really should allow us to imbue it. I'm not sure what weight eaters are, but this definitely looks like it would have room for FC 1 or something else useful.

Cuffs of the Archmage is also nice, though making it imbuable would be quite appreciated. I'd only strongly suggest adding FC 1. Especially combined with Scholar's Halo, that would allow for a lot more flexability in getting to 2/6 or 4/6 with mage suit design. Right now, you have to make some significant tradeoffs to get to 2/6 on a mage luck suit, for example, tradeoffs that you don't have to make for tamer/melee/archer/etc suits. Either you settle for 1/6 and take 150 luck, or you go for 2/6 and lose the 150 luck you could get from a bracelet. Combined with Scholar's Halo, you now could get to 3/6 on a max luck suit and have a lot more flexibility.

Britches of Warding I don't see myself using, but it looks useful for some builds. It too looks like it should have room for imbuing, if that restriction were removed. ...and on all three of the mentioned artis, if they can't be imbued, I see them having a much more restricted use and shorter shelf life.

Finally, one quick nit; is the property "Hit Bonecrusher" or "Bone Crusher"? It shows the first in the notes, but the latter in the actual properties on Glenda.

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pics of all the artis are at the bottom of Testing Notes from 2016-12-14 - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics

@Kyronix

The Scholar's Halo definitely looks nice.

Ring of Primal Consumption, I'm failing to see who would use it. If I want luck on a ring, I either go for Compassion's Eye with 250 luck and better properties, or I go for a looted ring with 150 luck and likely more useful properties. Eater 20% + Luck 150 on a ring just isn't as compelling. I'd suggest changing it to a bracelet, with luck bumped to 200. That'd make it a very compelling piece in place of the cleanup sets. Also, in either form, this really should allow us to imbue it. I'm not sure what weight eaters are, but this definitely looks like it would have room for FC 1 or something else useful.

Cuffs of the Archmage is also nice, though making it imbuable would be quite appreciated. I'd only strongly suggest adding FC 1. Especially combined with Scholar's Halo, that would allow for a lot more flexability in getting to 2/6 or 4/6 with mage suit design. Right now, you have to make some significant tradeoffs to get to 2/6 on a mage luck suit, for example, tradeoffs that you don't have to make for tamer/melee/archer/etc suits. Either you settle for 1/6 and take 150 luck, or you go for 2/6 and lose the 150 luck you could get from a bracelet. Combined with Scholar's Halo, you now could get to 3/6 on a max luck suit and have a lot more flexibility.

Britches of Warding I don't see myself using, but it looks useful for some builds. It too looks like it should have room for imbuing, if that restriction were removed. ...and on all three of the mentioned artis, if they can't be imbued, I see them having a much more restricted use and shorter shelf life.

Finally, one quick nit; is the property "Hit Bonecrusher" or "Bone Crusher"? It shows the first in the notes, but the latter in the actual properties on Glenda.
The property is now called Bone Breaker. Some of the artifacts have been adjusted since their earliest TC1 notes. I encourage everyone to head over to TC1 and try crafting them, since that's what needs to be worked through at this stage. We will continue to monitor feedback throughout the TC1 phase to make sure the artifacts are attractive enough to draw those bold enough into the gauntlet. Thanks for the feedback!

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never done Doom, but I want to give it a try. What templates work best for Doom with the upcoming changes?

Thanks

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The property is now called Bone Breaker. Some of the artifacts have been adjusted since their earliest TC1 notes. I encourage everyone to head over to TC1 and try crafting them, since that's what needs to be worked through at this stage. We will continue to monitor feedback throughout the TC1 phase to make sure the artifacts are attractive enough to draw those bold enough into the gauntlet. Thanks for the feedback!
Anyone on test that can post what the updated versions look like?

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I hear ya... the old ones are have long been obsolete. So I think it makes sense to use them basically as a crafting material instead. At the very least, I think it's a step in the right direction.

And the AI upgrade gives some renewed reason to do the Doom Gauntlet again.
Just seems like harder work for same redundant arties to me but we shall see! :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You haven't seen what Onslaught, Stagger or Pierce can do then.
Onslaught does up to -20 Resist, which stacks with Corpse Skin, and makes Double Strike better than AI against most opponents. Groups will also do more damage with Onslaught on the target, making the boss drop much faster. Just ask Merlin how fast Chief Paroxy or Medusa drops when i Corpse Skin+Onslaught them with a 100% Fire Double Axe.
Stagger does a -60% SSI debuff on the opponent for 10 secs. Against melee heavy opponents, it's pretty damn strong defensively. Only opponents with extremely high amounts of Stamina can push past the -60% SSI debuff to still hit fast (like Travesty, which has 900+ Stamina). For those opponents, a Macer with Stagger and a Fencer with Pierce works wonders.
Pierce will drop an opponents Stamina by up to 40% of their Max Stam over 10 secs. That aforementioned 900+ Stamina Travesty, would take 360 Stamina damage over 10 secs from Pierce. Within 3 Pierces, that Travesty would be down to 0 Stam. At that point, a Macer can hit the Travesty with a Stagger, to even further destroy Travesty's damage output. A Macer+Fencer duo utilizing their respective Masteries, can make virtually any boss into an absolute weakling and joke, easily doable, even with just bandy X-Healing. I like using this combo against Macer and Fencer Captains in Blackthorns.

Elemental Fury is basically something you cast and forget about for the next 2 mins, as it does bursts of damage every 6-7 hits. Called Shot is great against opponents that don't have Slayers. Osiredon (Scalis) in particular comes to mind, especially when Discoed.
Flaming Shot blows chunks. The last time i checked, it doesn't benefit from DI, Slayers, EoO, or Honor. Playing the Odds is only good in a party, and only if the other dexxers don't have max HCI/SSI already. Although, the last time i checked, it did affect the pets of party members.

Last edited: