• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In Memory of Sir Tedley (Bad Taste)

Hi recently Sir Tedley of Napa Valley passed away from Cardio Complications, we requested a memorial be erected in his memory as he was one of the most prominent members of our society on Napa Valley. we requested the memorial be placed in luna next ot the stables or up by the ankh or something inside since Ted was basically a professional Social Person that is how he played the game he mingled with players and worked in his museum for years, this is the memorial we requested:

tedley.jpg

we requested that

this is what we ended up getting

1587413545609.png

notice the location from luna there is like 3 houses MAYBE left on all of those islands and they placed it in a remote island in the middle of nowhere. I speak for myself and I feel and speak for yself when I say that I feel that this is a total and complete disrespect to any and all longtime players and those that have passed on and its even disrespect towards a company like EA/Broadsword that I feel I am pretty sure would not like the kind of reputation and bad taste this is leaving in MMORPG players world over

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I remember correctly, only Mesanna is authorized to make permanent player memorials so an email directly to her might be best as well, as she's most likely the one who did it (she never posts on the official forum or here).

[email protected]

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I certainly don't mean to speak ill of the departed, and my condolences go out to his family. While I recognize he was a member of your guild for the past few years, that certainly doesn't make him a more or less special than any of the other dedicated Napa players. Many of them have quite simple memorials set up in private locations than meant something to them. I have had the privilege to call several of them my friends and participate in their memorials. I have known Tedley since he started on Napa, and was one of the members of OoJ when he joined us as his first guild back in 1999, along with Sir Kindsoul, so my opinion here is not one that is of a stranger.

All of that being said, there is no way he, or any other player, needs a memorial set up in Luna.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That's pretty sad, I think I would have been really upset too if I saw that, it's not even done properly for what it is. She could have at least taken the time to make everything line up and look symmetrical. I think every shard should have a memorial garden somewhere, a fenced off area for these little shrines to all be together, with benches and trees. A nice place for everyone to visit and remember their lost friends. They all seem to be in the middle of nowhere and mostly you just stumble onto them.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's pretty sad, I think I would have been really upset too if I saw that, it's not even done properly for what it is. She could have at least taken the time to make everything line up and look symmetrical. I think every shard should have a memorial garden somewhere, a fenced off area for these little shrines to all be together, with benches and trees. A nice place for everyone to visit and remember their lost friends. They all seem to be in the middle of nowhere and mostly you just stumble onto them.
Atlantic has a little grouping in the swamp ruins between Trinsic and Britain. I have seen some on both Atlantic and Pacific that are by where their house apparently used to be or even still is kept by others. I don't know what happened with this one.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dear Devs, Thank you for taking time out of your day to give a player the Memorial they requested. Although it wasn't exactly what and where they wanted, we all appreciate your effort to fulfill their request.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I had to go check it out for myself. I guess it was put there to be near the EM area. There is some carpet under it so it doesn't look as plain as it does in the above pic.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was one recently placed on Atlantic for a fallen friend and we were told that anything in a guard zone is not an option, so I don't think you would've ever gotten it in Luna.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It may not be perfect, but to be honest, I think the ask was a little overboard. While the requested design looks good, compare that with the memorial to the councelors/seers/compaions/etc. That initial design would look more like what I'd expect for King British than for any player, no matter how well known. On Chessie, Ozog's memorial is similar to the one they did here, and it's on an island (the one he made his own (and his own kingdom, but that's another story)).

In terms of placement, "placed in luna next ot the stables or up by the ankh or something inside" is really a bit overboard. Even when I was playing far more than I am now, it was always a bit of a surprise to realize how many people, even on my home shard of Chessie, I simply didn't know or recognize the name of, simply because they played in the 8am-noon time, rather than the afternoons and evenings when I normally played. The specific locations you're describing would be the equivalent, in the old days, of putting the memorial across from the door to the WBB. That's a very limited space, used by a huge number of people, and imho should be reserved for very special global use (or limited-timeshard-specific uses, like christmas trees). Additionally, many play UO for an escape from reality. Having a grave or memorial to a RL person that's unavoidable due to it's location next to a daily-use area (ie, Luna stables, etc) would be counter to the idea of allowing that escape.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On Siege, in 2008 a memorial to Chad Sexington was erected. A couple years ago some trammy wanted to put a house near there and didn't want the memorial there. I don't know who this person was but they must have been pretty important for Messanna to remove the monument so some trammy could put a dirt plot there.

We just got the monument back a month ago. Getting it back literally required us to re-establish Barter Town, have two separate governors request the return of the monument as their one request to the EM, and then we waited for over a year. Even then, it wasn't exactly what we wanted, but you didn't see any posts whining about it, did you? So tell me more about your thing.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wish all of our fallen would be put in the graveyards of what ever city they were most found of. it would be great to have a place where I could come visit and pay respect/share memories. I wouldn't want someone's memorial I didn't know outside/in front of my house. as all of us get older, there will be more and more of these memorial thoughout the lands. best to move them all now to graveyards than wait. this is just my opinion. I knew tedley well. he always wanted to do something to help people. so sad to see him go. im sure it will get fixed soon.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At least you got something , sad looking though it is. After MONTHS of requests and struggling, designs with the then EM, and multiple attempts to get memorials up for at least 8 of our players on Oceania we got NOTHING.

Frankly they should add another island to the malas bunch or just designate ONE already existing to use as a cemetery and come up with a design that allows placement of a stone pedestal that allows ONE item to be placed on top (either a statue of the person, a vase, an anvil etc if the person was a known smith etc, with a book at the foot of the pedestal, the book provided by players on the shard that gives the details of the player that can be sealed and locked down at the stone with gardens and seats around for those to sit on who wish to. There should be no spell casting in this area but a designated recall spot. They could even allow the players to come up with a design for the memorial gardens, so that there is consistency in the look, etc. It isn't that hard.

This is what we proposed on a little bit of land nth of Minoc on a spur of land that was empty. EM locked it all down (every item was donated by players), and the whole shard was happy with it, but Mesanna came along and said take it all down. Apparently there was one spot where a 7 x 7 house could be dumped down, although the whole shard is empty. But the concept is still good. Once this one was full could of set up another in another spot along the same lines.

1587519487939.png

Attachments

Last edited:

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is what we proposed on a little bit of land nth of Minoc on a spur of land that was empty.
Wow, I was in this exact location on Pacific as I came to this thread to read the new post! Had been spurred to look at the area by a soulstone post in Pac section.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
On Siege, in 2008 a memorial to Chad Sexington was erected. A couple years ago some trammy wanted to put a house near there and didn't want the memorial there. I don't know who this person was but they must have been pretty important for Messanna to remove the monument so some trammy could put a dirt plot there.

We just got the monument back a month ago. Getting it back literally required us to re-establish Barter Town, have two separate governors request the return of the monument as their one request to the EM, and then we waited for over a year. Even then, it wasn't exactly what we wanted, but you didn't see any posts whining about it, did you? So tell me more about your thing.
You don't lose a single occasion to suck up to the Devs & to make evident your "Holier that Thou" mindset, it isn't?

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
At least you got something , sad looking though it is. After MONTHS of requests and struggling, designs with the then EM, and multiple attempts to get memorials up for at least 8 of our players on Oceania we got NOTHING.

Frankly they should add another island to the malas bunch or just designate ONE already existing to use as a cemetery and come up with a design that allows placement of a stone pedestal that allows ONE item to be placed on top (either a statue of the person, a vase, an anvil etc if the person was a known smith etc, with a book at the foot of the pedestal, the book provided by players on the shard that gives the details of the player that can be sealed and locked down at the stone with gardens and seats around for those to sit on who wish to. There should be no spell casting in this area but a designated recall spot. They could even allow the players to come up with a design for the memorial gardens, so that there is consistency in the look, etc. It isn't that hard.

This is what we proposed on a little bit of land nth of Minoc on a spur of land that was empty. EM locked it all down (every item was donated by players), and the whole shard was happy with it, but Mesanna came along and said take it all down. Apparently there was one spot where a 7 x 7 house could be dumped down, although the whole shard is empty. But the concept is still good. Once this one was full could of set up another in another spot along the same lines.

View attachment 107688
Another proof that Miss M. cannot care less about Players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

View attachment 107688
I asked about making a place for memorials for people to visit like a player cemetery... I was told NO. What you did is pretty maybe you should try having it built somewhere like Illsh where there is no chance anyone could ever build a house there. Pick a designated place there. They can't deny that due to house placement. Perhaps something near the meer village? It's a thought.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MissEcho that is exactly what I meant, it's a lovely design, but of course you would have to rely on Messana reproducing it, which means it would end up nothing like that.... :(
Actually that pic was taken after myself and the EM at the time had actually placed and locked down (by em) all you see there. It took us HOURS. All the items were donated by myself.

Mesanna rocked up and as apparently there was one spot on that whole bit of ground that would take a 7 x 7 house made the em remove it all. When we picked the spot sadly we didn't find that ONE location that would take a house, we hadn't been able to place anything. Mesanna didn't have to do anything other than say OK.

Fact is you can place castles and keeps and a few hundred 18 x 18's on our shard. But I would guess that spot is probably vacant on all shards.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I thought maybe it was from the test centre, that seems a bit harsh to make you guys remove it all, especially after getting the EM's help. I'm sure nobody is interested in having a 7x7 anywhere any more, typical behaviour from the powers-that-be though, unfortunately.....

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm sure nobody is interested in having a 7x7 anywhere any more
I recently placed a 7x7 on Atlantic. But only because I was starting with no developed characters and almost no gold, and just wanted a safe space to store and exchange stuff between characters. No way would I have placed up there, though, with a potential gauntlet of reapers and gargoyles. I upgraded shortly, after accruing more gold.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Okay I agree Atlantic may be an exception, let's just say on almost every other shard there are not people desperate for a 7x7 spot. I can see how returners would need a safe space though and Atlantic is a nightmare for house placement.
The area would have to be relatively spawn free, but I'm sure they could do that for a permanent structure. They could even, as has been suggested, make a special Malas Island for the purpose and collect all the little shrines in one place. A lot of Malas has little in the way of overland danger.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
They could even, as has been suggested, make a special Malas Island for the purpose and collect all the little shrines in one place. A lot of Malas has little in the way of overland danger.
Maybe it is their intention now to start placing them by that EM area in Malas. The Atlantic soulstone graveyard would be in the way, but I guess they're going to be deleting them all anyway. I wish they would make an "island" for soulstones, with deleted ones being sent there. With a portal to it in Luna. Being separate from any standard landmasses, it could be expanded as much as needed. It could have a search function, and that might even deflect some of the heat from the vendor search!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was the the contactinc EM V about the placement, that was the only place i could think of (coords were more nw) after being told it could not be in a housing area, and needed to be out of the way.

Would have loved to have the original setup west of WBB, or on the hill infront of his wax muesuem, but was told no to those.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the whole 7x7 not being desirable argument is moot. It’s not about the available housing, it’s about the rules. It can’t be erected where housing is available, regardless of if it’s going to sit empty for eternity. If you want change, you need to challenge that policy itself, and not it’s enforcement.

Or just keep challenging the enforcement, you know, whatever makes you happy. Everyone is entitled to spend their time as they please.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Maybe it is their intention now to start placing them by that EM area in Malas. The Atlantic soulstone graveyard would be in the way, but I guess they're going to be deleting them all anyway. I wish they would make an "island" for soulstones, with deleted ones being sent there. With a portal to it in Luna. Being separate from any standard landmasses, it could be expanded as much as needed. It could have a search function, and that might even deflect some of the heat from the vendor search!
That would be a good and player's respectful idea, so you can be sure they will never implement it.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Okay I agree Atlantic may be an exception, let's just say on almost every other shard there are not people desperate for a 7x7 spot. I can see how returners would need a safe space though and Atlantic is a nightmare for house placement.
The area would have to be relatively spawn free, but I'm sure they could do that for a permanent structure. They could even, as has been suggested, make a special Malas Island for the purpose and collect all the little shrines in one place. A lot of Malas has little in the way of overland danger.
ATL has tens of free "Small Tower"-sized houses places, both in the main continent and in Malas.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Come on guys this started out as a sad thread about a player who died and the memorial not being quite what was wanted, let's not get carried away, I know we can all get a bit emotional about things that matter to us but we can still be civil, right? :sad3:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A few posts have been removed. Please do not use personal attacks against each other going forward, especially in a thread like this one about someone's grave.

Also... when you respond "report me then" to someone after clearly trying to circumvent the profanity filter to throw an insult at them....you're not going to win that battle. It's like the bat signal to moderators even if the person doesn't report you, just saying....

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just wanted to share that em V has reached out to me again because of this thread.

So, V did tell me the stine wouldnt work, buy did try. It went down, then decayed a few days later. V has also offered to move the memorial, as long as a house cant be placed, and its not in town.

So, V is trying. I selected the location, and because of limitations of ems(not anyones fault) the stonework decayed, and i chose to replace it with carpet.

So, if anyone on napa has ideas for tedley that isnt in LiE, send me a message.

I can forward it to V.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sometimes others forget that real people are what make things in our game for our entertainment.
And YOU are not the only one that plays the game.

If you want a memorial to a player, why not use a small custom plot and make it? Or build it in your public house. I do like the idea of a player graveyard. Could take the spot where the Soulstones are. A flower and headstone.

One of the Crafters who played on LS and would always craft a suit for a new or returning player who asked for help. He is still at work.

1587772086882.png

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just wanted to share that em V has reached out to me again because of this thread.

So, V did tell me the stine wouldnt work, buy did try. It went down, then decayed a few days later. V has also offered to move the memorial, as long as a house cant be placed, and its not in town.

So, V is trying. I selected the location, and because of limitations of ems(not anyones fault) the stonework decayed, and i chose to replace it with carpet.

So, if anyone on napa has ideas for tedley that isnt in LiE, send me a message.

I can forward it to V.
The Seer blessed, player run, city of Mith (on Marble Island, Fel) has a small collection of memorials on the NW corner of the island for some of Napa's long time players who have passed. This is a place Tedley would have visited and been acquainted with as he played regularly when this was an active establishment. While it might require something a little more simple to add a memorial here for Sir Tedley, I personally couldn't think of a more meaningful place to be recognized than along side those who are already there. This would also be particularly true for Tedley as this is where the memorial for DANTE (Robert Adams), the GM of OoJ also resides.

MithMemorials.png

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do want to keep it within the rules. There are others on napa that dont, and i dont want to share them for fear of them being taken down.(much like that one).

If a small will fit there...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do want to keep it within the rules. There are others on napa that dont, and i dont want to share them for fear of them being taken down.(much like that one).

If a small will fit there...
Nothing about that memorial is outside the rules. No housing can be created there (too close to the coastline).

Mygone47

Visitor
Hi recently Sir Tedley of Napa Valley passed away from Cardio Complications, we requested a memorial be erected in his memory as he was one of the most prominent members of our society on Napa Valley. we requested the memorial be placed in luna next ot the stables or up by the ankh or something inside since Ted was basically a professional Social Person that is how he played the game he mingled with players and worked in his museum for years, this is the memorial we requested:

View attachment 107652

we requested that

this is what we ended up getting

View attachment 107653

notice the location from luna there is like 3 houses MAYBE left on all of those islands and they placed it in a remote island in the middle of nowhere. I speak for myself and I feel and speak for yself when I say that I feel that this is a total and complete disrespect to any and all longtime players and those that have passed on and its even disrespect towards a company like EA/Broadsword that I feel I am pretty sure would not like the kind of reputation and bad taste this is leaving in MMORPG players world over
I know this was posted over a year ago but I saw this and said I miss Sir Tedley I use to chat with in UO. Sorry Ted I got wrapped up in the WoW game hype. I said today I'm going back to play UO. I will miss you Ted rest well.
Mygone.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand that people would like memorials to be placed in places that were of significance to the deceased, however it may be better to place them all in a designated graveyard. That way more people would see them and there would be less controversy over placement locations.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
One of our members was able going thru the EM for Sonoma had this done recently by Mesanna for one of our fallen members of PAS
5-7-210007.jpg
She loved to do Fel T maps. She was an awesome person with a love for all.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EM locked it all down (every item was donated by players), and the whole shard was happy with it, but Mesanna came along and said take it all down. Apparently there was one spot where a 7 x 7 house could be dumped down, although the whole shard is empty. But the concept is still good. Once this one was full could of set up another in another spot along the same lines.

And people wonder why she has such a negative reputation, what an awful thing to do.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the devs should of put all gravestone memorials in graveyards, not all over the shard, in front of peoples houses ect... it was a nice for them to do it but as more and more get put out, it will create some of issues. i would rather go to graveyard and view lost people that i knew or people i might remember. just my opinion

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the devs should of put all gravestone memorials in graveyards, not all over the shard, in front of peoples houses ect... it was a nice for them to do it but as more and more get put out, it will create some of issues. i would rather go to graveyard and view lost people that i knew or people i might remember. just my opinion
Guess why in Yew with those of the Yew Militia who have passed I kinda started our own graveyard since Mesanna has been totally against Graveyards... which IMO would have been a smarter investment... there are a ton of places where this could have been done. But yes. Started our own. Near where our meeting place used to be. I still visit the graves there.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think an appropriate action would be to make a designated graveyard where players can go to remember their comrades.

I would say outside of Luna for access, but it could really be anywhere.

Malas in the middle of nowhere is depressing, we can do better, but in my opinion Luna stables is also inappropriate.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
a cemetery dungeon where the named ghosts of players who have passed roam eternally and insta-kill anyone who disturbs their rest
A long time ago, a GM told me that it's possible for them to see who had logged out. Being able to see them as if they were invis.

I doubt this is true, as it'd cause a lot of lag for them and I dont think the character-server works like that. But just imagine being able to see every player that has ever logged out in their last location.
Eerie.. 23 years of characters of players who will never login again.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the beginning of All life in uo there were no ideas about rl death's.
life has us teached some new lessons and that things lasts longer than the creator could Imagine.

Having uo for Such a long time has also it's dark sides. Missing a good friend is one of them. Keeping them in our hearth and memories is the light side.

Phreak

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I made a set of characters as a living memorial for Ted to stand on the Napa WBB circle. Apparently someone felt standing afk is illegal and these accounts were banned. I emailed but did not get any response. Sorry to anyone who used these characters I don't think I will be replacing them.