• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] In case anyone is wondering why EC performance went into the tank with the patch Friday

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Intentionally or unintentionally the devs turned on software rendering with Friday's patch. That means all the graphics processing is being handled by your cpu. My guess is they turned it on for debugging purposes and neglected to turn it off, or turn on the 3D hardware acceleration, when they compiled the executable for Friday's patch.

And while we're on the topic, I thought it was policy not to push a patch or publish out on a Friday. But let's do it on a long weekend when there's an extra day to endure if there's a major screw up.

(edited to remove pointless crankiness...)

Last edited:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That is weird I have not had any issues at all other than my router starting to go out!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That is weird I have not had any issues at all other than my router starting to go out!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you have a really fast cpu you might not notice much of a difference. Or maybe they made it hardware specific, such as software rendering for certain graphics processors.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You might not also notice a difference if your cpu is fast relative to your graphics processor (for example if you have a laptop with integrated graphics).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Radeon HD 8650G amd A10 quad core 2.50 GHz ddr3 ram

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Radeon HD 8650G amd A10 quad core 2.50 GHz ddr3 ram laptop

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Intentionally or unintentionally the devs turned on software rendering with Friday's patch. That means all the graphics processing is being handled by your cpu. My guess is they turned it on for debugging purposes and neglected to turn it off, or turn on the 3D hardware acceleration, when they compiled the executable for Friday's patch.

And while we're on the topic, I thought it was policy not to push a patch or publish out on a Friday. But let's do it on a long weekend when there's an extra day to endure if there's a major screw up.

Anyway, let's hope this software rendering thing was accidental, if it wasn't and it isn't reversed, I'll be closing my accounts. The EC is pretty much unplayable for me right now, especially in pvp, and I'm not going back to the CC...
I got some fps issues here since friday as well. Did track it down to the point that performace degrades drastically after a certain amount of open hotbars, because on some chars it works just fine, on others it did not.
And yes, i wanted to play siege a bit again, but will not with current state of ec.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The performance is very bad i tested it with my UI and the new dault UI! But i figured that is not so much laggy when the backback is not open

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That's not what I'm experiencing. After pub 86 and before they turned on the software rendering my performance was much smoother, but I wasn't getting better fps. Now that they've turned on the 3D hardware acceleration again, I'm getting the kind of performance I was getting after pub 86, but my fps is up by 30 - 50%. So for me the performance of the client is vastly improved.