• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In 4 - 6 weeks the DirectX 9 Client will be the only client available. "

G

<blockquote><hr>

But of course, since i'm not one of the elite to the devs, this won't matter a bit to them. Seems like most that I have talked to in game would have been happy with new items. Not CC which causes lag, not being stuck on properties, not 200 people in a house. But of course, the selected few did want these and they got them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this comment wasnt directed at me. I turned in my pom poms weeks ago and this has nothing to do with if I upgrade my system to play. As I said even if I quit TSO I still need upgrades to play my other game.

M

mysticlisa516

No, it was not directed at you. I am talking that there was a selected few that wanted the major upgrades that they are doing, and the many that wanted new items was not listened to.

They are doing major things to the game, which would be great if it wasn't beta. But like I said, no guarantee that this game will make it past beta. So why invest in something that I may not use. Because I guarantee that the games out there are either stupid or violent I won't play. This is the only game that I have found to like. And a major upgrade to this game should not be the first thing done.

Or are the majority here happy that EA hasn't fixed the bugs that are currently in the game?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Actually the majority of players probably have no clue what is going on because they do not read the blog, stratics , game-blueprints.com or visit any EA run properties.

I strongly believe the majority of players will wake up one day and just wonder why their game stopped working. Only then will they investigate. I suppose part of the "unaware" majority won't be affected at all. Their computers are just fine and they won't even notice a difference.

The first testing for new graphics code began almost 2 months ago. I found the blog entry about it dated 11/06/2007. Very few players have been testing their PCs and many are unaware that things will be changing.

If we are still 4 to 6 weeks away from a permanent change then EA will have given us 3 months to make a decision about our graphics capabilities and whether or not we will continue to play.

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

Actually the majority of players probably have no clue what is going on because they do not read the blog, stratics , game-blueprints.com or visit any EA run properties.

I strongly believe the majority of players will wake up one day and just wonder why their game stopped working. Only then will they investigate. I suppose part of the "unaware" majority won't be affected at all. Their computers are just fine and they won't even notice a difference.

The first testing for new graphics code began almost 2 months ago. I found the blog entry about it dated 11/06/2007. Very few players have been testing their PCs and many are unaware that things will be changing.

If we are still 4 to 6 weeks away from a permanent change then EA will have given us 3 months to make a decision about our graphics capabilities and whether or not we will continue to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, I have no idea if my computer is even compatible or not and there is no chance in hell that I am going to read all the confusing computer terminology that is listed in 10's upon 10's of pages on the wiki or here, or anywhere else. If it turns out that I have to read the pages in order to understand how to get in, I'll simply cancel my accounts and have a cup of coffee after knowing that I don't have to deal with that bs lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

No, it was not directed at you. I am talking that there was a selected few that wanted the major upgrades that they are doing, and the many that wanted new items was not listened to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are these mysterious 'select few', you think have the 18 member development team by the short and curlies??? The company that pays their paychecks, perhaps???

The graphics changes you are complaining about, were back end upgrades that had nothing to do with player opinions....but were absolutely required for the game to go forward.

Posters on these boards have asked, ad nauseum, for the game to be updated, have bugs fixed and offline items added. And Luc explained early on, that to do *any* of that, they would have to completely update the foundation of the game and bring it into this century. Everyone was warned, but chose to only hear about the new stuff coming.

It seems to have more to do with: *be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it*....than any supposed favoritism.

J

JRock

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, I have no idea if my computer is even compatible or not and there is no chance in hell that I am going to read all the confusing computer terminology that is listed in 10's upon 10's of pages on the wiki or here, or anywhere else. If it turns out that I have to read the pages in order to understand how to get in, I'll simply cancel my accounts and have a cup of coffee after knowing that I don't have to deal with that bs lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately the way the gaming industry is advancing, I guess that is going to force a lot of people to get educated or retire from playing future pc games altogether.

G

NOIP
While I agree with most who say upgrades are part of the game of ...... gaming, still, I have seen where some developers, on some games turn into technazis. They will demand certain standards just because they are new, even if they are unnecessary for the game - 4GHz processors when a 1.6 GHz will work fine, 4 gigs of memory when 1 will do the job, a high end vid card when a standard one is ok - the list goes on.
The upshot is, they have locked out a significant number of customers and hurt their sales, and for what? Bragging rights?
"Yo EA - we gots more technical up-to-date bling in our game den youse."

In many cases the amount of hardware improvement required is not justified for the particular game. In one notable case (of a sequel) - the equipment required was just a notch or two below what NASA uses, and the game did not look or play as good as it's original.
So, while I agree with Gilly, Niki, Gracie, et al - I can understand the frustration of the other folks.

K

Keep It Real

I agree, I think the team is going overboard considering what this game has to offer players. I can upgrade with no problem, I have tons of video cards in stock but why bother when I have yet to see anything offered in game to make the change worth it. I can play WoW and SL without changing anything so I'll just go close my 10 plus accounts and wait a year and see if this game is even still around, (which I doubt it will be). As more players leave the game, so does all the potential advertisers Luc was hoping to "USE" to get others to subscribe. A case of biting the hand that feeds as I see it.

*TSO R.I.P.*

G

Let's see if we can return to the topic of the <u>DirectX 9 Client and video cards</u> instead of rehashing the dozens of other threads about cheerleaders, who wanted what, who wasn't listened to, etc.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I as well have to agree that a computer that can run 6 sims in different houses does not need to be replaced, but thanks to Vertex and Pixel Shader 2.0, like Sativa, this computer will be moved to the TV,..etc. And the grandkids will get a decent homework computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount of sims you can run on the computer has nothing to do with the graphics card, that's the amount of RAM (memory it has). I would however think that a computer with enough RAM to do that would have non-integrated graphics, not because it matters but because I can't imagine a desktop computer with all that RAM and only integrated graphics. That is a flaw of most laptops, though I have seen some that actually do have upgradable cards albeit the upgrades are more expensive than upgrades for a desktop would be. I think because when laptops were first brought out it was for the portability, and not necessarily for gamers. The fact that TSO could be played on laptops was just sort of a party bonus, and not something to be taken for granted. I remember when I tried SL briefly it was not able to be played on my laptop, or it was, but with much more lag than I was willing to put up with for the content of the game. It too had just onboard graphics, non-upgradable. When it went south, that's the last laptop we've owned much for that reason. If we couldn't do what we wanted to when we were away from home, then for us there was no point in having a laptop at all, just 1-2 desktops.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I actually found a card that will work for her computer for less than $60. However, I understand that after purchasing a $1600 computer just 6 months ago that it is ridiculous to have to spend another $60 even just to play a game

[/ QUOTE ]

OTOH, $60 is a drop in the bucket compared to $1600 if it is something that a person really wants to do, eventually. Notice I didn't say go out tomorrow and spend $60. There's no reason it should keep a person from eating for a week if they put back $15 for 4 paychecks rather than dumping $60 all at once.

People have said that EA might be trying to lose customers....but I don't think so, I think they're trying to separate the casual gamers from the power gamers, and going the way of high end graphics capabilities is the way to do it. Think about the reaction of your friends that play WoW, PotC-O, SL, EQ2, and even CoH when you tell them you play TSO. Most of them probably wouldn't even give TSO a shot, not only because it doesn't have the quests and leveling that the other games have, but because when you're used to the 3D graphics, TSO looks very cartoonish. I remember when I came back to TSO this time after a long time of playing TS2 that it felt like I was in a time-warp because there's just no comparison of the two graphics wise, or really even game wise, but that's a different post.

TSO has GOT to do something drastic if they want to get in the black, financially and attract *new* customers that are power gamers. If they have to lose some old customers in the process that are reticent to change, then it sounds like that is a risk they are willing to take. The old customers who are truly passionate about the game will be the ones left behind, and those are the ones that are the most attractive to any business....the ones that will stick with you through thick and thin or whatever and always make their comments, even when negative, constructive.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would however think that a computer with enough RAM to do that would have non-integrated graphics, not because it matters but because I can't imagine a desktop computer with all that RAM and only integrated graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Imagine it. Dell sells Inspiron models that come with 1 GB RAM and integrated graphics accelerators. Selecting the radio button to add an additional 1GB of RAM doesn't automatically upgrade the video card. It's not until you get to the XPS 420 model that you see separate video cards as the standard.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I would however think that a computer with enough RAM to do that would have non-integrated graphics, not because it matters but because I can't imagine a desktop computer with all that RAM and only integrated graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Imagine it. Dell sells Inspiron models that come with 1 GB RAM and integrated graphics accelerators. Selecting the radio button to add an additional 1GB of RAM doesn't automatically upgrade the video card. It's not until you get to the XPS 420 model that you see separate video cards as the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely!
This is one of those 'buyer beware' situations. Look carefully at what you are getting - don't settle for Integrated Graphics unless that is really what you want.