• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In 4 - 6 weeks the DirectX 9 Client will be the only client available. "

S

Sativa L

In Lee's Jan.23 blog entry, I read "In 4 - 6 weeks the DirectX 9 Client will be the only client available. " and panicked!

"OMG 4- 6 weeks!! I don't want to buy a new computer until I have my new TV paid for.. in 6 - 8 weeks.. wtf am I going to do for 2 - 4 weeks? "(Actually for days I have been playing with "options" at Dell's website, grinding teeth while I force myself not to click "checkout")

Now, it occurs to me, yep days later (blames blondness), that Lee is talking about EALand & TC3 not TSO!

This means I can play in TSO until the last merge. Assuming that one city will merge a week, I am safe for at least 8 weeks. I Hope to settle my DG sims into EALand within the 4 - 6, waste money in BF during the weeks between not being able to get to EALand and buying a new pc. Land my BF sims in EALand on a brand new shiny pc !

I may miss testing a few exciting updates, but at least I won't die from withdrawals

G

I can't beleive people still use pcs that can't handle dx9. my god what do u use a tandy? lol actually all u need is a new graphics card, not a whole new pc.

Yes its upgrade time and its LONG overdue.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In Lee's Jan.23 blog entry, I read "In 4 - 6 weeks the DirectX 9 Client will be the only client available. " and panicked!

"OMG 4- 6 weeks!! I don't want to buy a new computer until I have my new TV paid for.. in 6 - 8 weeks.. wtf am I going to do for 2 - 4 weeks? "(Actually for days I have been playing with "options" at Dell's website, grinding teeth while I force myself not to click "checkout")

Now, it occurs to me, yep days later (blames blondness), that Lee is talking about EALand &amp; TC3 not TSO!

This means I can play in TSO until the last merge. Assuming that one city will merge a week, I am safe for at least 8 weeks. I Hope to settle my DG sims into EALand within the 4 - 6, waste money in BF during the weeks between not being able to get to EALand and buying a new pc. Land my BF sims in EALand on a brand new shiny pc !

I may miss testing a few exciting updates, but at least I won't die from withdrawals

[/ QUOTE ]
You haven't said if you have even *tried* to install dx9.

P

Peppie

<blockquote><hr>

I can't beleive people still use pcs that can't handle dx9. my god what do u use a tandy? lol actually all u need is a new graphics card, not a whole new pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Macs? .. I mean i can run sims online in bootcamp but you need a nvidea or ATI graphic card because that shadder thingy is not supported by intel graphic chips

I

imported_fajjaa

Editing Peppies post...I have a Radion 9000, powered by ATI and it is not compatible. So not all ATI video cards are safe. The safest thing to do is try to enter TC3- test. You will get a very quick response if your video card is not compatible.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Editing Peppies post...I have a Radion 9000, powered by ATI and it is not compatible. So not all ATI video cards are safe. The safest thing to do is try to enter TC3- test. You will get a very quick response if your video card is not compatible.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not all are. You need a card that supports Pixel Shader 2.0, most lower Radeon cards support Pixel Shader 1.0. You have to get a higher model card. And yes, before you go out and buy anything, try to do the TC3-test first. It will let you know if your graphics card isn't compatible.

G

actually dx9 tc3 works great on my macbook! better than on my old pc actually. and i have a intel graphics card. so there is hope!

G

<blockquote><hr>

wwhat do you use? vmware fusion , parallels or bootcamp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that some secret code for what are you doing later and wanna meet me in Fancey Fields at midnight?

Polly

S

Sativa L

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Macs? .. I mean i can run sims online in bootcamp but you need a nvidea or ATI graphic card because that shadder thingy is not supported by intel graphic chips

[/ QUOTE ]

Long over due yes.. but there are many people that can't run the new graphics. Many can barely pay for internet and TSO, never mind upgrade their pc. Fortunately, that is not so in my case. It's just a timing issue, I don't want to buy a pc quite yet.

Yes, I have directX9 &amp; yes, I have up to date drivers. No.. Not a Tandy lol.. It is a 5 years old Touch system with a 64b, ATI 7500 card that even has dual monitor support. I land slow, but I can run 4 sims if needed. I can run 2 sims and online poker. I can visit stratics, the blog. I have lots of space, even with over 4000 mp3's and years worth of unneeded files.

My pc is not being replaced, it is being moved. It will be hooked up to my home theater system, providing lots of music and internet access from my tv.
I have no need, nor desire to upgrade it, or I would have 3 years ago.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been wondering when I've heard comments in the same vein as this......and Sativa isn't the first one, but to her credit her post was actually more positive than negative, unlike the others
. I'm on about as limited an income and as shoestring a budget as can get, and I haven't had a comp that couldn't handle Dx9 since I believe 1995! That shows us how antiquated TSO's graphics are compared to the rest of the industry though, that it has been able to be played on only the dino machines or lower than current low end graphics card.

But yeah like fester said it's more the vid card that controls whether or not you have DX9 capabilities, but you just have to get online with a techie guy at like Tiger Direct and tell him what you have and let him be sure your motherboard can handle the video card you need. If the machine is overall that antiquated, it might not be able to. The good news is I saw some extremely good deals this morning cruising around on Tiger Direct. Barebones systems that were not top-line but certainly capable for under $300!
Even found the one I bought this Christmas, for $150 less than I bought it....*sigh* LOL.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

wwhat do you use? vmware fusion , parallels or bootcamp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that some secret code for what are you doing later and wanna meet me in Fancey Fields at midnight?

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's techie speak for those who can answer the question, which from what Beatty's shown of his knowledge, I bet he can!
Not being as familiar with Macs as I am with PC's I'm not precisely sure, but I do know that those are protocols that let Macs handle some of the programs that were designed only for PCs, like TSO

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

*TTL*

Don't be too glib about saying anyone who can't handle the new graphics has an antiquated system.

I have a fairly new little laptop, a Dell workhorse, does everything I need with memory to spare and I take it everywhere, but it has integrated graphics -- no graphics card, and no way to upgrade -- and it doesn't have any shader capabilities. Hell, when I bought it who knew I would need it?

Not saying this to get sympathy, but just to suggest that there is not a pat answer for people who can't upgrade. Not everyone who is gonna be left behind has antiquated systems, and not everyone will have a reason to buy a new system (unless you think buying a new system solely to enable TSO is a good reason).

I run all sorts of graphics applications that do not require the shader technology. I also had no lag in TC3, ever, for what its worth.

I

imported_fajjaa

I as well have to agree that a computer that can run 6 sims in different houses does not need to be replaced, but thanks to Vertex and Pixel Shader 2.0, like Sativa, this computer will be moved to the TV,..etc. And the grandkids will get a decent homework computer.

I will stake 4 of my 6 accounts on this prediction...the majority of complaints on the video card dilemma will come when accounts start having sims moved to EALand and people will not be able to play the new version. At least they will have roughly 2 or 3 months depending on production city sim locations to figure out what most of us know now.

Unfortunately a message of the day to the production cities, regarding this news would probably cause mass hysteria.

S

Sean Kendrick

If you're worried about the upgrade to DirectX 9, dont. Vishwa said they're trying to let people choose whether or not to upgrade. It's not certain though I hope so.

I posted information from the EA Town Hall meeting with Vishwa and Parizad at relaxtheblog.weebly.com . You have to scroll down a bit since it's kind of old news (about 3 days old).

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

If you're worried about the upgrade to DirectX 9, dont. Vishwa said they're trying to let people choose whether or not to upgrade. It's not certain though I hope so.

I posted information from the EA Town Hall meeting with Vishwa and Parizad at relaxtheblog.weebly.com . You have to scroll down a bit since it's kind of old news (about 3 days old).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your RELAX THE BLOG site is excellent, by the way.

I was reading the article about the graphics and there was a comment about how some players might be out of the game until they get $50 to upgrade. Just want to reiterate that SOME players, like me, have no such cheapo fix option. For players who have integrated graphics, such as those in laptops, there is no option to upgrade the video card. I would have to replace the mother board, or let's just say the entire machine.

BTW, I do think there are many players who have stuck with TSO partially because it is one of those games that has been low key in terms of hardware. In my case when I was buying this system I saw no need to buy a gaming computer since these days my time is heavily mortgaged by work, and I needed a mobile workhorse laptop, not something that can run 3D war scenarios. On the other hand, I do run many games just fine, just not the high end ones. Who knew TSO was headed that direction?

In the words of Gomer Pyle: "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

M

Max CR

Instead of getting a new computer, you can get a new video card at www.tigerdirect.com. That is where I baught my problem and now my computer has 2.5 GB memory and a 512 video card.

if you arent familiar with our computers work, then they also have some awsome computer deals. they actually had a special where iI baught my 17 INCH monitor for only $120!

B

Bindy

TTL

I think its extremely odd that I can play WoW with my pc as is and have no problems what so ever. But because of the garbage they are adding to this game I need a new video card to be able to keep playing. Try to figure that one out because I cant LOL.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

I think its extremely odd that I can play WoW with my pc as is and have no problems what so ever. But because of the garbage they are adding to this game I need a new video card to be able to keep playing. Try to figure that one out because I cant LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it just means TSO is moving ahead of WoW in technology advances and WoW will have to play catch up now.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it just means TSO is moving ahead of WoW in technology advances and WoW will have to play catch up now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it mean "South Park" will do an episode featuring EA Land?

I want the Sword of a Thousand Truths to use in this game. Please. I'm begging.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL omg you're too funny. It just means they are adding useless garbage to the game.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it mean "South Park" will do an episode featuring EA Land?

I want the Sword of a Thousand Truths to use in this game. Please. I'm begging.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

I

imported_CrazyGirl

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because World of Warcraft's Programmers ROCK THE HOUSE. Blizzard took A LOT of time for their release and they plan ahead for expansions.

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW was out before this new version of the sims came out. Within a couple of months most of the new games being released will be the same way. It's just a matter of keeping up with the times.

K

Keep It Real

TTL

If WoW upgraded and I needed to replace a video card I would do it in a heartbeat. But to upgrade to watch a sim read a book I don't think so. LMAO!!!!!

G

I upgraded so I could play WoW. In the process though I made sure that I got a card that would support EALand as well. I probably had a harder time than most due to the fact that I had to find a PCI card that would work. PCI is outdated I know, but I have a frankenstein computer that I got from a friend. It could run WoW, but so slowly it hurt. And the card wasn't all that expensive. Not everyone needs to upgrade to a wild new card. Mostly just a modest upgrade.

Just make sure the card has Pixel Shader 2.0 or higher.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW was out before this new version of the sims came out. Within a couple of months most of the new games being released will be the same way. It's just a matter of keeping up with the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is keeping up with the times and then there is adding a ton of unnecessary garbage. You cant even compare a game like WoW to EAland, that would be like trying to compare Prime rib to hamburger. All of the bells and whistles they are adding to this game just to watch them sit around while the humans chat is foolish at best. lol

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

If WoW upgraded and I needed to replace a video card I would do it in a heartbeat. But to upgrade to watch a sim read a book I don't think so. LMAO!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there 100%

L

lisjacase1

The safest thing to do is try to enter TC3- test. You will get a very quick response if your video card is not compatible.

So Im guessing from this statement that if I have been playing in TC then my PC is ok video card wise right? Or is this something that has not happened yet? I really cant afford anymore PC things or hubby will ground me....lol

M

mysticlisa516

If they are going to use Sims2 graphics, then why should I have to upgrade my video card? Sims2 plays just fine on my pc. Btw, my pc is only 6 months old. I shouldn't have to do an upgrade just for TSO.

It seems that they are adding unnecessary programs to the game. I believe that EA will lose more accounts this way then they thought of gaining. I definately am not telling people about the new EA Land until I see that there is something very beneficial coming to the game without having to go into debt for it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So Im guessing from this statement that if I have been playing in TC then my PC is ok video card wise right? Or is this something that has not happened yet? I really cant afford anymore PC things or hubby will ground me....lol

[/ QUOTE ]

No, sorry.

TC3 and TC3-test are different. You need to log into TC3-test and look for the colored line swirling around during log on. If you do not see it, then your card does not support the new graphics.

You can also go to the list on the Wiki of known working cards, to see if your card is listed. Although there are a few cards that have been shown to work, that people have not posted.

M

mysticlisa516

This game is becoming more expensive than it worth. I cant afford to upgrade. This is a 6 month of computer, it should not need anything for quiet a while. But of course TSO is gonna make sure it breaks its customers just to stay in the game, or are they wanting us to leave so they can close the doors without a lot people left?

G

Don't you think that is a bit of an over reaction, until you have tested your card?

Unless you already know that it will not work......

M

mysticlisa516

I cant get directx9 to load, so apparently my pc is NOT compatible. Geeksquad updated drivers 2 months ago. I cannot afford any more money on this game.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I have to wonder where our potential new player base will come from if the game will not even run on a 6 month old PC.

G

It is not necessarily the age of the PC....mine is over a year and a half old....and I have no problem.

I believe it is really an issue of the *type* of card you have....one chosen for high end gaming or casual internet cruising, and home office stuff.

In the past TSO has been at the low end of the totum pole in the gaming community, because it appealed to casual and low-end gamers.

Hard-core gamers always get the best graphics and sound cards they can afford, and upgrade frequently, because the top games are very demanding.....and workhorse PC's, just may not cut it.

It would seem that the Dev's are trying to move us up, into the big leagues. Which makes sense, if EAL is going to become a game hub, then it needs to be able to support those graphic intense games and their fans.

M

mysticlisa516

I payed 1600 for a computer that cant play this game? Is that what you're telling me? I dont think may of EAs customers are willing to pay more with the track record they have in supporting this game. And from what I am gathering, this is still a test. EA could close it down anytime they think it's not working the way they want. So, why should I spend more money (which will cause me to go without eating for about a week) on a game that may be shut down any time?

I have stuck around for 2 years with nothing being done, because I love this game and don't like the violence in many other games. But I dont love it enough to pay more and more money every time I turn around, or the cheerleading squad gives devs more idiotic ideas.

Like I said, I believe that EA is getting rid of customers slowly, that way they have a reason to close the doors.

IMHO

G

You can get the lowest end graphics card that will support this game for around $80-$120 on http://www.newegg.com/

You just need to know whether you have PCI, PCI Express, or AGP.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I actually found a card that will work for her computer for less than $60. However, I understand that after purchasing a $1600 computer just 6 months ago that it is ridiculous to have to spend another $60 even just to play a game.

Gilly is correct. If EA is moving us into a real gaming world then true gaming computers may be needed in the future. However, I also agree with mysticlisa that making an investment to upgrade will be determined by her, if they actually improve the game we play today and if the cost will even be worth it.

These are all decisions we are faced with by subscribing to TSO at this time.

M

mysticlisa516

It's not just the card that I have to buy. I will also have to have GeekSquad put it in, if I crack open the case on the computer I just wasted the 2 year warrenty that I purchased. So, do you see where this is costing me out the you know what?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I payed 1600 for a computer that cant play this game?

[/ QUOTE ]
How much you paid doesn't really tell us anything that would help. If you spent most of that on a Blu-Ray drive, memory, processor, and expensive accessories, then you probably got an integrated graphics processor and not a dedicated graphics card.
Do you have a graphics card? If so, what kind is it?
<blockquote><hr>

Like I said, I believe that EA is getting rid of customers slowly, that way they have a reason to close the doors.

IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]Right. That's why they added a staff of 18 to work on the game they want to close.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I payed 1600 for a computer that cant play this game?

[/ QUOTE ]
How much you paid doesn't really tell us anything that would help. If you spent most of that on a Blu-Ray drive, memory, processor, and expensive accessories, then you probably got an integrated graphics processor and not a dedicated graphics card.
Do you have a graphics card? If so, what kind is it?
<blockquote><hr>

IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]Right. That's why they added a staff of 18 to work on the game they want to close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call Milton. Her computer has an integrated graphics processor, not an actual graphics card. However, I understand many laptops are configured this way too. We will be losing many PC and Laptop users once the graphics changes become permanent.

M

mysticlisa516

It's not compatible, that has been established. So, it's money that I have to spend.

And as with the hiring of 18 people for the project, give me a break. I once worked for a company that hired 150 people for a 3 year contract that came in and everyone, including those that have worked for them for years, was laid off for 6 month. So the hiring of people can be a pretense and not a long term thing. So, that still doesn't change my opinion.

I'm just tired of spending money on new things when old crap hasn't been fixed yet: like the lag and being stuck on properties.

Fix the old and make it manageable for old clients to stay. Last time I looked, my tree has leaves, not money growing. EA stood at a stand still for 2 years, now on the fast track. And it's hurting many players, and they expect us to just accept this with no voice.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Right. That's why they added a staff of 18 to work on the game they want to close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, Milty. Ever see "The Producers?"

j/k j/k j/k

springtime, for Maxis, and TSO.....

G

My card works, and if it did not, I would upgrade, because the bottom line for me, is that whether I need to do it now or later, I am a gamer and I know I will need to frequently upgrade my computer to keep up with the advances in gaming graphics.

It is my choice to have a hobby playing online &amp; offline games....and meeting the expenses of that hobby, is just a part of the package.

I can understand your frustration, and I understand that you are upset, that you did not anticipate future gaming needs when you invested in your computer.

In the end it is up to you, if you choice...(just as it was for everyone, when VHS gave way to DVD, and the Wii replace the GameCube....and soon when HDTV replaces analog tv)....to keep up or get left behind.

Changing times do not wait for anyone...especially in software and electronics.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

The decision for me was not that difficult to make when I had to upgrade. I was able to upgrade my graphics card and ram memory for $130. When I discovered that my 3 yearold PC only had an intergrated graphics processor and no video card installed, I realized that even if TSO disappeared a year from now, the investment in the upgrade would allow me to choose another online game to play.

Now, if that upgrade was going to cost me a whole new computer then I'm not sure the investment would be worth it at this time. I probably would have started shopping for another game that I could play rather than do the upgrade to play this one.

I'm sure EA is taking all of this into consideration and realizes that it will lose customers with this upgraded EA-land. However, I believe they are expecting to gain a new subscriber for every one they lose, plus more.

G

I agree Gilly. I've known I needed to do some upgrades to my puter for some time now and I have been putting it off. I'm sort of glad I did put it off now because at least I can get everything done at once. I too consider it just keeping up with the times in order to feed my hobby/addiction. Even if I leave TSO and start playing another game I'm sure at some point in time I would need the same or similar upgrades. Take Toontown for example, it requires that I have more RAM, true I can still play but with each new update the game gets more laggy and choppy for me, they dont really care that I need to upgrade my puter any more then TSO does. Even some of the games on Facebook seem to have higher requirements then I can meet if the virtual memory messages I keep getting are any indication.

Regarding spending money just to play a game, its not all that uncommon in the gaming industry to need to upgrade. I think back to my first Nintendo, I loved it but I didnt bat an eye when the next one came out, I just went and bought it. They moved far away from me in the years since as I moved to online gaming, now days I dont have a clue about all the new gaming systems. But I understand it can be quite expensive for those that are into it to keep up. All I can really do at this point is hope that the upgrades I do now last me a while because I really cant afford to keep upgrading either, but if I have to I imagine I will come up with the money somehow because I really cant imagine giving up my addiction.

M

mysticlisa516

Ok, I understand upgrades being needed. But, having to upgrade a game that is in the testing stage and not guaranteed to be around even for a year it seem to be putting a lot of confidence in a company that hasn't proven to me that they care.
There are many bugs to be worked out that hasn't yet. They are testing crap in EA Land when it should be done in TC3 and causing a headache for me that didn't want to participate in this particular test.

And you guys have to understand that a lot of disable people play this game because the use of dexterity of the hands is easier than many other games out there. And many people who are disable are on a very limited income. You are asking them to upgrade on a game that may not make it past the beta stage. Does that sound fair to the average customer? I think the graphics should be one of the last things done.

But of course, since i'm not one of the elite to the devs, this won't matter a bit to them. Seems like most that I have talked to in game would have been happy with new items. Not CC which causes lag, not being stuck on properties, not 200 people in a house. But of course, the selected few did want these and they got them.

In the meantime I must purchase and pay for installation on a Video Card just to play the one non-violent game that I like. pffffft

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

In the meantime I must purchase and pay for installation on a Video Card just to play the one non-violent game that I like. pffffft

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well whether or not TSO makes it or fails. The folks with old hardware will have to upgrade their stuff anyway if they want to play any of the 'other' online games or pc games at all.

I didn't want to have to buy new equipment either but I faced the music and realized that after 8+ years on the old machine, it was time to move up.

And btw is it really necessary to slam other people while trying to make a statement? Whether there are teachers pets or not, THAT does not validate the fact the people with old computers are going to have to take a leap and start computer shopping.