• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Improving the Game? INVOLVE THE PLAYERS!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all know that UO has a great potential to be the best MMORPG on the market. But there are too many flaws that are preventing its success. These range from bug abuse over game mechanics to graphical flaws. The following example should show how involving the players can contribute to a game's success enormously:

The game called Eve Online kicked off in 2003 with 30,000 players, and has meanwhile grown to 245,000 players. Eve Online was, like UO, a game absolutisticly governed by its developers. At the beginning of 2007, CCP (the company running Eve Online) proclaimed a revolution and authorized the players to elect a democratic government. In May 2007, the players of Eve elected their government - a representation of seven players at the age between 17 and 52 years. This representation has been meeting with game developers ever since, discussing changes and enhancements to the game.

At first, the developers were afraid that this experiment would backfire. But now they are getting very valuable feedback cause the players often know specific parts of the game better than the developers and contributed a lot to the improvement of the game.

(Comment: I don't want to advertise Eve Online, I never played it. I just am using this as an example.)

--------------------

Now, we all know about the unfortunate incident that demolished the Counselor Program. Canceling this program caused a lot of damage to the game. A game of this size and complexity NEEDS the involvement of volonteers, of people actually playing the game. When other games have volonteer programs, then EA can do the same!

The players of UO have an enormous potential. Many are professionals in real life, with exceptional knowledge. I could even imagine that parts of the game (modules) can be provided by volonteers, in order to improve the game quality and reduce development cost. Especially when it comes to artwork. I have seen artwork suggestions from UO players that were extremely professional and beautiful. Players are running free shards, they even know how to modify the scripts. They could provide code suggestions. Players also run great and fantastic events, they WANT to spend their time doing that. Why does EA not encourage and cultivate those abilities?
PLAYERS CAN AND WANT TO HELP! Let them help!

Hawkeye Pike

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree :thumbsup:

I know they are still sensitive about the volunteer incident but it would be in their best interest to have more player feedback in daily/monthly activities. As it is now, they take the word of a few and use it to dictate what happens next and those of us that don't agree have to accept it or get over it. I'm all for the democracy. Viva la revolucion

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/signed

Totally agree, EA & The Dev's really need to listen with more of an open mind to players that actually play the game & not go with the latest flow or fad. Yes some ideas are way off base, but many have been good & been tossed away. Time they rethink "some" of the ideas players have given to keep UO alive & vibrant. Be it PvP, PvM or Crafting, UO offers so much diversity to all & could be a lot better. Dev's listen to us the players a lil more & you might be suprised on what the players can help you with.

D

Deb

I totally agree...but the only way to do this effectively would be to send
an email to the current player base i.e. poll style like we have gotten
in the past. To only listen to U-Hall posters would not be based on the
majority of the player base. There are quite a few players out there
that have never heard of stratics and thus do not post here.

And, unfortunately there are too many people here that cry nerf
to too many templates because their's is not the current God-Mode
template. On the flip side I have seen many great ideas that have
gone by the wayside for whatever reason.

S

Sarphus

I agree the devs need to listen to players when it comes to their decisions. I guess the part where I would disagree with you is that I feel the devs DO listen to players.

They created focus groups with the soul intention of having responsible player feedback on the things the devs are working on.