• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] 120 Imbuing..Whew!

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally reached 120 on my imbuer! This was definitely the most expensive trade skill I have ever attempted.

50-61ish: I played around with the dagger/dispel route until I saw the cap on unraveling was coming out.

61ish - 86.6: I farmed Swoop & Miasma.

86.6 - 120: I got anxious and wanted to knock it out, so I started hardcore training at the soulforge.

I went straight for the sammy plate method. I used Petra's method as a general guide but changed it around a bit. I used a skill tutor statue to keep me in the optimal range. I tried to keep my success rate 53-56% as it seemed to work the best for me. When I saw my gem usage was getting too high, I added another property often way before it was recomended. I believe it saved a ton of gems. I started the two property around 105 for example. Since I had a huge stockpile of residue, I imbued each piece 20 times. Basically, If I could keep the 20x imbue using only 1 gem, I could maximize gains and keep my costs down. In the final 118ish - 120, I was doing (1x) 13% RFD, (1x) 13% LRC, (1x) 30%ish Luck, (20x) 1% Resist Fire. 118-120 seemed impossibly slow gains. I could run through several hundred gems for a single gain. In the later stages 115 - 120, I found a soulforge in a public house instead of the public one in Ter Mur. By dropping my success rate a few percent, I could keep in the optimal range longer before having to switch to more gems or adding another property.

If I were a masochist and wanted to do it again I would definitely:

Try to make it to 90 from unraveling Swoop and Miasma loot before starting hardcore training.

Buy gems at the gypsy camps in Ilsh. I bought almost all of my citrines and amber at 50-53 gp each.

I think the guides are very good maps. But I would suggest to not be afraid and come up with a deviation that works best for you. Sorry, I don't keep hard track of how much of each resource I use when crafting. But I tend to focus on the method and how much benefit I feel I am getting as my stockpiles go down. I hope this helps.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well Done and conrats!! I remember that good feeling after making it seemed like forever

J

[JD]

What toons are the best to solo Miasma, and are the drops better than Swoop?

My best toon is a tamer, I can take swoop easily with GD but it's slow, or Rune Beetle/Mare is faster.

Never tried miasma.

Thanks

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could kill 2-3 Miasmas in the time it takes to kill one Swoop. Miasma also has chests. The problem with Miasma is the extra nasty spawns that can wander in. Minataurs (which have a stun attack), reptalons, and Rend. If Rend wanders over, he can pretty much kill you, your pets, and a few others in several hits. So you have to stay tucked in the corner and not move around much.

I use a swords sampire for both. Stealth or peace mage works nice if you have the mana pool/regens to keep up summons. I used to use a peace mage there before I had my sampire. A rune beetle would probably do well due to the lethal poison from Miasma.

The level of loot seems about the same to me.

B

bosskram

I use my mage/necro. I clear the spawn at the entrance and then cast a couple of evs at the entrance and then just lure her to the front and invis, rinse and repeat. Its a little slow and sometimes can get sticky but its much better than doing it where she spawn because she spawns so fast you can't loot before she is back up. Good Luck:gee:

U

uoBuoY

...My best toon is a tamer, I can take swoop easily with GD but it's slow, or Rune Beetle/Mare is faster...
I use A GD with 120 Disco and the Swoop is dead before I have finished looting the last. With Disco it's really fast.

J

[JD]

Don't have a Sampire and not sure I want to build a whole toon just to farm loot (kinda crazy imo)

My lil tamer is a Mage-Necro-Tamer, I can stone off Necro (105) and SS (100) for something else that would prove to be very handy... would music/disco be my best bet?

Lastly is Miasma a keyed boss so I'll need to do a bunch of work to get to her or can I just go there like I do with swoop-a-doop

Thanks

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Miasma is near the entrance to Labryinth and requires nothing special to access her. Just don't go past her lair or you'll have reptalons (and maybe Rend) chasing you.

I'm at 116.1 imbuing now. I unravelled Miasma loot until 70 then started actively training it.

-OBSIDIAN-

W

Walkerboh77

i don't understand why people don't stick with daggers the whole way?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used my peace/disco/bard on Miasma and just threw all the loot in the unravel bag since I was doing it for residue, and used the gold to buy gems. That was before I found out you could farm residue from making bows from oak. I used daggers crafted from low level runics all the way to 120.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It all depends on your patience....
Actually I plan on going mainly with looted items. While except samurai plate armour comes with mage armour property it increases success chance from beeing exceptional. Considering that EVERY looted item with at least one property at full intensity should be more effective at higher levels for training. For myself I am going with wands (you get plenty of them from picking dungeon chests and fishing) and/or juka bows (after beeing modified each of them has a slayer property).

S

steeda95gt

i don't understand why people don't stick with daggers the whole way?
I believe the reason why you switch to the plate shields is because of the Mage Armor property already being present on exceptionally created items. This is another magical property to have on an item to imbue, therefore reducing the amount of resources needed to gain skill at higher levels.

W

Walkerboh77

it takes me 4/8 --->hit area fire (once)
2/4----> fire resist (once)
1/1---hit dispel (over and over until diminished gains)

on a 10 gold dagger

is that more expensive than crafting exceptional items?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it takes me 4/8 --->hit area fire (once)
2/4----> fire resist (once)
1/1---hit dispel (over and over until diminished gains)

on a 10 gold dagger

is that more expensive than crafting exceptional items?

Yes, because of the highlighted part.

That's 3 gold ingots, which are more expensive than 3-5 gems, depending on the shard.

W

Walkerboh77

no no...i mean its a dagger from an npc that costs 10 gold to buy.......not a gold dagger

however...i meant to say a normal npc butcher knife is what i use at 10 gold....the dagger costs 15 :p

hit 120 in a little under 10 hours
and spent around 3300 gold per item in materials(until diminished gains) post 100 skill

i averaged .2 skills per item post 100...

it cost me about 1 million in gems from 50-120 and 10 hours of time....not including residue which i farmed....i used about 14000 residue

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's different.

The other benefit is that you get one more meaningful reimbue/'skill gain per item, if it was already crafted with mage armor - and the other imbues don't have to cost as much, as your first of 3 properties isn't at 100 intensity, when mage armor is.