• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm wanting to play the original Ultima series.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, that does seem to be the entire series. So I would have to say yes, that does appear to be what you are looking for.

But I never actually played the old ones. So I just base my statement on looking at the item and seeing that it has claims to have Ultima 1-8

Edit: Take a look here though. There is Ultima 9 ascension that isn't included, but I am certain you'll be able to find it for sale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_(series)

N

Nestorius

The C-64 had the best version for the old ones, but this reissue copies the more primitive PC version.

B

Beer_Cayse

U9:Ascension seems to be the only one missing so this is decent enough except that. Also, look for the Ultima Dragon Pack and if you can locate one that is complete in software, it will include U9 these.

The Dragon Pack was released thru EA some years back at either $49.95US or $59.95US. I have one - and no, I have no plans on selling.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima 9 Dragon Edition, you mean. Basically a collector's edition bundle.

Not likely to find it.

B

Beer_Cayse

You could be right ... I recall it as the "Dragon Pack" from when EA was hawking it. Then again, it was interesting to see what the PC versions of U1 to U4 looked like as I'd only played them on Atari 8-bit systems. The graphics are just a bit different because of the handling between platforms, but gameplay is the same.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA has owned OSI since 1992. EA "hawked" it from the start.

B

Beer_Cayse

In 1984, it was Origin. Also, EA did not sell a combo pack as this or the one the OP is looking at until at least 1998/1999. I was in UO then and that is when EA did a sell-a-thon of the whole ball of wax.

O

Oppurtunity

I actually found the Ultima IX Dragon Edition. It's definitely more expensive than the Ultima Collection, but sort of worth it, too, I think. It comes with a lot! And it's not an outrageous price for nine (or ten, since it includes Akalabeth which is supposedly Ultima 0?). I think I may get it.

But, do I need something special on my PC? One of the auctions said I'd need a DOS thing on my PC to make it work on Windows XP/Vista/7. Can someone please explain that to me? Hate to be annoying, but oh well. Please help!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In 1984, it was Origin. Also, EA did not sell a combo pack as this or the one the OP is looking at until at least 1998/1999. I was in UO then and that is when EA did a sell-a-thon of the whole ball of wax.
Yes, in 1984. But in 1984 there was no Ultima Collection, which is what we're talking about. Which was under EA control from the start.

B

Beer_Cayse

if you need an emulator for DOS-based handling, I suggest DOSBox. It's not the most tunable, but older DOS-based games run fairly well on it. I play the old Sierra Online stuff, One Must Fall:2097 (Apogee/Id), Duke Nukem ... when I feel I need to put brain in neutral.

<nods> Akalabeth was called U0 (U-zero) sometimes. There are also some patches (EA and non-EA) to make U9:Ascension more in line with the Ultima storyline and stuff. I'm exploring some other stuff for earlier Ultima games as well - mainly crash fixes and the like.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
U 9 ascension i think came bundled with either my 8th or 9th anniversary UO Box.

A

Argoas

You have the alternative to play some remakes, as the ones from Exult, or the others that use Dungeon Siege.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I own both the Ultima Collection and the original release of Ultima IX; and just to confirm, it's correct that the UC contains nothing but the PC versions, however it is also missing not just Ultima IX, but both Ultima Underworld's and the two Worlds of Ultima games. It does come with MOSLO to allow them to run on modern PCs, and scans of all the documents that came with each game, however it would still be easier to use DOSBox to play them, I have had no trouble under WinXP mounting any of the UI-VIII games through it.

Ultima IX I've never reinstalled under WinXP, but you will need this final patch to play it;

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.php?event=project&typeKeyword=official

Also make sure you keep constantly saving to different locations; even with the final patch I still ran into a game stopping bug when I played through it the first time (an object didn't spawn in the chest at the end of a dungeon that you needed). You'll recognise an awful lot of the soundtrack, as it's been re-used in Ultima Online over the years... but don't expect the plot to be anywhere near the standard of the previous games... so much so there's an unofficial fan re-write and economy balancing patch out there.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course it doesn't come with Ultima 9. It was released before Ultima 9.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you look around you might be able to find the compilation CD for the two Underworld games somewhere. Don't expect to find the Worlds games though. Or "Escape from Mt. Drash".

Also, there are two cheesy little action/puzzle games called "Ultima: Runes of Virtue". First one is for Gameboy, second is Gameboy/SNES. Both good games, if not having anything to do with the rest of the series aside from places and characters.