• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm building a new home, and need your feedback & answers! (pics inside)

R

Repowski

Ok, so I'll start off by saying that I do not claim 100% originality on the design of this house, as it is heavily inspired by a photo I saw on message boards somewhere. (Might have even been here)

First of all, I'd like your opinion on the roof color. I'm debating between brown and blue. Which do you like better? (photos below)

Blue Roof -
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0748.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0747_001.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0747.png

Brown Roof -
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0730_002.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0730_001.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-06_1349.png

Also, I have a couple of questions.

#1 - Here's a photo showing a couple of areas where I'd like to place some flowers. Am I going to be able to get there, or do I need to place a teleporter? Can I place them there, and then redesign the house without having them be put into a moving crate?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0731_002.png

#2 - These "bushes" in this photo - am I going to be able to walk through them? Or are they going to be solid?
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0733.png

And in case anyone's interested... here's a few more pictures.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-06_1347_001.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0729_001.png
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Ovation_2008/2008-04-07_0730.png

G

Personally, I like the brown roof compared tot he blue, but that's just my preference with that type of stone walls.

As for the second question, in my experience, I haven't been able to place anything in ledges like that without teleporters being in place to reach those areas.

Third question, no you can't walk through those "bushes" as they are considered to be roof tiles and do not allow walk through. But since there is nothing blocking your view from the side of the house (like another house) you can walk along the side of the house placing the items where you want them and then run around to the front and into the plot to lock them down real quick.

G

I, personally, think the blue roof tones well with the stone walls.

I don't think you'll be able to place flowers there, I'm not sure a teleporter will help, I could be wrong on that. If I am not wrong, I would try committing the design, then going back into customize, remove the wall, commit, place flowers, customize, replace wall. Not sure if that will work either tbh

The tile row with the bushes on is too close to the eastern edge, you wouldn't be able to walk on it even if it was empty.

G

I like the brown shingles myself in your design - it offers some good contrast to all that stone.

In the pic with the slate roof, I think you have it built a bit too high on the northern roof, as you can see the floor of the interior and the eastern wall edge.

I love balconies...as already stated by others, I don't know any way to get your plants on those ledges without a teleporter.

Anyone else find it incredibly frustrating encountering the missing tile pieces throughout the custom housing system, especially in the arch/trim sets?? You have this great idea and then realize you can't finish one side without it looking totally goofy, because there is a missing piece in the set.

I also hate that there is no 90 degree wall intersection piece for half height wall and full height wall intersection, so when you have a building corner that you want to be flush with a half height wall, you have to have a goofy looking piece sticking out or you end up with a half height wall in one tile your building wall, which doesn't look right either.

-Skylark

M

Marxustharin

I would actually reccomend a door to the longest ledge... Place it in the center, then create a balcony you can stand on... If I remember correctly, if you want a railing for it, you will need to bring the wall in one more tile so that you can stand out there as well, not sure about that though... Been too long since I designed any homes..

As for the other location.. Not sure what to tell you other that teleporter as long as you can disguise it.

R

Repowski

thanks for the feedback everyone. I apologize for the pictures not showing up... I'm not sure why they're not just displaying in the thread...

Does anyone know if I can do the "leave a wall out, commit, lock down some decorations, redesign & add the wall, and commit"? Will this work, or will it make the decorations be put into a moving crate?

G

The address to your pictures is the problem, I believe the ? symbol and other non alpha chars in the URL path, can confuse the forum software, and they won't display.

For example - I uploaded your pic to my photobucket with the same file name, and it is fine:

-Skylark

R

Repowski

Well, for some reason it wont show the pictures if I edit my original post, so I'll just repost it here with the photos. I apologize for the issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I'll start off by saying that I do not claim 100% originality on the design of this house, as it is heavily inspired by a photo I saw on message boards somewhere. (Might have even been here)

First of all, I'd like your opinion on the roof color. I'm debating between brown and blue. Which do you like better? (photos below)

Blue Roof -

Brown Roof -

Also, I have a couple of questions.

#1 - Here's a photo showing a couple of areas where I'd like to place some flowers. Am I going to be able to get there, or do I need to place a teleporter? Can I place them there, and then redesign the house without having them be put into a moving crate?

#2 - These "bushes" in this photo - am I going to be able to walk through them? Or are they going to be solid?

And in case anyone's interested... here's a few more pictures.

G

I prefer the brown roof, it contrasts nicely. BTW for the very topmost level you can see inside to the wooden flooring, you might want to put down the very short stone walls so they sit on top of the walls and just under where the roof peaks. It's a bit trial and error so that you don't end up with short walls poking through the roof, but it can help out a bit with making the walls look flush to the roof.

You would need either a ladder or teleporter for the south strip of green to put flowers on there. A ladder would run about 200k, or whatever the cost of a heritage token is (or if you have or can borrow one then great!). They are handy tho. Teleporters would work fine. You may decide that you want some kind of border for the flowers after all, like a very short wall either of the stone as you have done already as a railing, or a short brown wall like a window box type deal. In which case you would do things in this order:

place teleporters to reach the ledge
place flowers
raise flowers up by 6 each at least
remove teleporters and place very short walls
lower flowers so they sit on the short walls flower-box style

You can do the same (putting two short walls) on the other grassy bit you have indicated, I believe you can place flowers on that bit just from standing on the steps, but you might not be able to after you place short walls (if you decide to go that route). So you would place a couple flowers, raise em up by 6, then do the short walls and lower the flowers.

You can't walk through the roof tile 'bushes', but you can place things on the grass outside of the house and lock down inside the house. You can put any add ons anywhere in a house from anywhere you stand so if you wanted to do statues, no issue there.

Very cute house! Post pics when you have it all decorated up. =)

L

Leanan Sidhe

Great design by the way...
And for the flowers you want to place on the bottom floor, I've been lucky enough to be able to place while walking on the outside of the house, and dropping the flowers ( I was placing rubble ferns this way last night) along the bottom there. Then if I need to raise them, go inside the house, turn on my circle of transparency and raise and lower the flowers.
Hope this helps?

B

Bordoms

You can easily place flowers there - use a ladder. The area above the steps may be a bit trickier - remove the inward stair case so that you're able to place a ladder inside your stairs (as in, instead of the inward stairs, perhaps use a half wall, or simply place the flowers and re-customize to put the steps back). You may even be able to "reach" the area without moving the steps at all.

I love the ladders - so many areas you couldn't reach before are within reach now.

Edited to add: Great design too! I prefer the blue roof over the brown (but then again, I'm biased and used the same walls you did).

B

Bordoms

You can easily place flowers there - use a ladder. The area above the steps may be a bit trickier - remove the inward stair case so that you're able to place a ladder inside your stairs (as in, instead of the inward stairs, perhaps use a half wall, or simply place the flowers and re-customize to put the steps back). You may even be able to "reach" the area without moving the steps at all.

I love the ladders - so many areas you couldn't reach before are within reach now.

Edited to add: Great design too! I prefer the blue roof over the brown (but then again, I'm biased and used the same walls you did).

L

Luna Rossa

Nice design and I too prefer the brown roof.

As for the grassy area/balcony for plants, have you tried placing a "hidden" door to get out there that is exactly like you walls?

L

Luna Rossa

Nice design and I too prefer the brown roof.

As for the grassy area/balcony for plants, have you tried placing a "hidden" door to get out there that is exactly like you walls?

V

ValenOfAtlantic

Besides the ladder method you can simply leave a gap in the wall, walk out and place the flowers where you want, then go back into the editor and close up the walls. I did this to place some flowers and even vines running up the wall on my old house, Placing the vines is a bit annoying closing up the wall again. Different vines seem occupy slightly different tilespace.

S

Salem de Monfort

Hmmmm.....go with the gray slate roof. The lighting and all at night is just fab.

G

I like the blue roof better, but that's just me... I'm very picky about roofs, and it causes me much pain when I customize!

As far as flowers on edges is concerned, a teleporter or ladder is a great idea... but if you'll be doing any more customizing, even on areas nowhere near the flowers, once you've placed them leave them raised as was previously suggested! I know from long experience that flowerbeds which haven't been raised will bump into the moving crate every time you shift a tile of your house in customize mode, and it's SUCH a pain getting them all back into place! You have a lovely design, thanks for sharing it ^_^

R

Redrum1

I say the blue roof also. As for the flowers, they should not dissapear if you customize the house unless you place something where the flowers are. So you should be ok placing a door at the balcony, then placing the flowers , then customizing and removing the door for a piece of wall.

Good luck and the house looks great