• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

im at 98 taming

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and its starting to get real slow taming on bulls, should i throw on some jewels and start taming ki rin or something or is it gona be even slower since i would be at a higher skill level

G

gramarye

Frostbolt, first of all - well done! Anyone who gains in taming as you have done deserves respect - however it IS likely to slow down as your skill raises to gm and above, I know of no way of keeping up the gains above these levels. Changing your target animal and even crossing server lines frequently USED to help - but I haven't trained taming in many years so might be different now. One thing to bear in mind as you get higher skill - lava lizards will take you all the way to 120 and are relatively easy to lead or para tame and lots of them in, for instance, pheonix dungy with no one else taming there. Stick at it is the best (if somewhat boring) way and gluck with it!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mostly just stuck at bulls up to GM, but you will find the skill gain slows down as you get higher unfortunately.

Your GGS gains will also slow down if you've got a lot of skill points in use on the character you're training. So one way tamers can speed things up is to soulstone any unnecessary skills off temporarily and then train taming while their GGS gains are a little faster.

In honesty once you get around that level it's worth thinking about working the zoo turnins with some jewellery to help you tame unicorns etc, or tame another high end pet repeatedly (eg work cu sidhe to get coloured pups to sell). Then you'll get gains, but you're gaining something else in between, whether it's zoo points or gold from pup taming.

If I don't have much time, I just get a GGS gain from bulls, some days I'll work the bull spawn for over an hour, other days I'm cu taming. I find mixing it up helps a lot, rather than putting on some jewels and taming ridgeys for hours.

Wenchy

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i was trying to tame cu sidhes today, with jewels i was at 113 but the cu sidhe angered like 30 times in a row and after 30 min of trying to tame the same cu over and over again i gave up and went bak to bulls

F

Frey Wavestrider

Well done and I know it seems frustrating. I have been alternating between kirins and ridgebacks. Still slow but if I can get an hour or two to play I can can up to half a point. It also helps if you have eaten a 110, 115 or 120 taming scroll to gm gains a bit more quickly until you get near the scroll level then slows again

U

uoBuoY

well i was trying to tame cu sidhes today, with jewels i was at 113 but the cu sidhe angered like 30 times in a row and after 30 min of trying to tame the same cu over and over again i gave up and went bak to bulls
If I were you I would be training on pets I eventually want in my stable like the Bake Kitsuni you mentioned. You get skill gains, real taming experience, a nice pet, gold, hides...

O

Old Man of UO

That is why I prefer lead taming, and taming using the KR client. KR lets you repeat a macro up to ten times. Lead taming lets you continuously make taming attempts while leading the cu sidhe. 30 times in a row of angering the cu sidhe is about one minute of taming attempts this way.