• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ignore Parafields exploit? What was this?

• Thread starter imported_revenant2
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_revenant2

I just watched a guy charge through two groups of para fields who should have been caught by them, and he ran through all of them like they didn't exist. There's reportedly 2 guys in his guild that do this regularly.

The para fields were all placed by red mages with 120 eval. The person who charged through all the fields was in a different, unallied guild, non-faction. The ground terrain the fields had been laid over was road-like.

I didnt hear a trapped box go off, using trapped boxes make you stop at each para field row anyway and that's totally different. I didn't see the person get caught in the first para field or any of the ones afterward. I saw no evidence of him using a 'wand' to help break the para of the fields. I saw no sparkling effect around him at any time. I simply saw him charging through all of our para fields as though they didn't exist.

What was this, any idea? 120 resist does not behave this way.

G

It's possible it was just a temporary bug, I've had it happen to me ( I was the one running through them.... was quite surprised). However if they've found a way to duplicate this bug...then yes it would be an exploit, but I haven't personally heard of anyone figuring it out yet.

G

This is a known exploit. I would look for it to be fixed soon.

I

imported_Sarphus

This isn't exactly a new exploit... It's a few months old, but it's the kind of expoit that fixing it could probably break other stuff, so it may take longer to fix it right. I'd rather have cheaters running through para fields than having them duping stuff, for example...

I don't know what patch put this bug into existance, but I think I first saw it somewhere around 6 months ago.

I

imported_revenant2

<blockquote><hr>

This is a known exploit. I would look for it to be fixed soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be ideal. I hope someone who understands something about it has put in a good bug report to speed the fixing process along.

A

Ah Beng

I saw a guy run through wall after wall of bagballs (several people posted independently that one simply has to edit certain UO client's files on the harddisk to achieve this, and that many cheaters have been known to have been in this 'pass-through-objects-cheat-mode' since forever). Same exploit, or different?

If different, that means EA/Devs have to work on plugging up *both* exploits.

I

imported_The_Dude_

Its a known exploit thats not gonna be fixed soon. Its been out for a while now. Its pathetic. Its the same exploit that lets you run around while mounting your ethy.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If different, that means EA/Devs have to work on plugging up *both* exploits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being able to walk through items was an intentional change made several years ago. The walking through bagballs falls under illegal client modifications, not an exploit.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there are 2 ways to do this.

one, sometimes if para fields are not casted on a spot where they are on the same plane as a player, perfect example is in despise. and in fire dungeon from the entrance to about where the lich lords spawn. the terrain is not even if you cast para fields and dont target correctly it is possible to just walk through them. this way is not illegal, its just how the game mechanics are.

second, people use healing wands etc. if you activate one while going into a para field the paralyze field wont freeze you. because you are allready frozen. this isnt a exploit either its a bug, just have to wait for EA to fix it if it bothers you.

I

imported_dukarlo

We just had a guild come over to GL from atlantic a couple weeks ago. So far this guild has done nothing but use speedhacks, para field exploits, quest gold to make themselves unlootable and every other known exploit. The other day we killed one with the quest gold on his corpse and paged a gm. We paged saying something to the extent that this guy is using an exploit and that we needed to have his corpse made lootable. Instead of a gm coming out we got a canned message saying we needed to target the offender despite the fact that his corpse was right in front of us and the exploit was in plain view. By the time we got another canned message the guys corpse had dissapeared. How can EA have zero tolerance for cheaters when pages go ignored or go answered with incompetence. Cheats and exploits are escalating on a major scale yet EA refuses to police its own game. The lack of policing is exactly why more and more people are using exploits and illegal 3rd party programs. Ive been playing UO for 9 years now and ive never seen cheaters have such a free reign to exploit as they do now. Its really getting quite sad and pathetic. Does EA want their vet players to leave UO?

I

imported_The_Dude_

Its such a simple fix just make it so wands actually freeze you while u try to use them. Its seriously pathetic that this is still not fixed and is abused as bad as it is. I guess they have more important matters like stopping some dude selling ingots.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The walking through bagballs falls under illegal client modifications, not an exploit.

[/ QUOTE ]1. It's somebody cheating, and a problem within UO - does it matter what specific category it falls under?
2. Illegal client modifications are exploiting bugs in server code, and as such exploits.
3. Anybody who has details on any of these bugs should be making sure to bug report them with as many details as possible once every publish that fails to fix them (or once more information is learned that might help the developers reproduce and fix it).

G

An exploit is the result of using a bug. This isn't a bug. It was an intentional change made many years ago. Players have just turned to abusing it via client modifications and there is currently no way to prevent such modifications. The only fix for this would be to revert the change and prevent walking through solid items from the server side again.

G

This is common practice.

It mixed with using a a tinkered box to undo paralize it really makes you wonder about dropping 120 into resist for pvp.

G

So how about ----- using a wand freezes you in place for the casting duration? Duh of course it should.

And...how about someone is tring to para you so you cast a spell. The paralize doesn't land because you're already frozen from the spell you're casting.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

An exploit is the result of using a bug. This isn't a bug. It was an intentional change made many years ago. Players have just turned to abusing it via client modifications and there is currently no way to prevent such modifications. The only fix for this would be to revert the change and prevent walking through solid items from the server side again.

[/ QUOTE ]How is it not a bug that the server is not checking movement against solid items?
It may be an intentional coding change, but it is a flawed design, and therefore a bug. Bugs exist in all phases of development, not just coding.