• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If the Devs Announced That Scripting Was OK...

• Thread starter Morgana LeFay (PoV)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Would you quit if the Devs said they were not fixing cheating?

• Yes - I would cancel all of my accounts and quit.

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • Yes/No - I would cancel some of my accounts and hope they changed their minds later.

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No - I don't care if other people cheat, I just want to play UO.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • No - Why would I quit? I am a cheater!

Votes: 38 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I posted somewhere in one of my posts about this in this thread, this was before the changes that made that kind of script placing impossible. No, you can't do this anymore, but there are still plenty of things you can do with scripts that are just as unfair to those who play the game honestly.
Plenty?

I guess this is where I don't "get" you, in my 12 years of UO I haven't had a script or program negatively affect me or put me in an unfair advantage.

Heck, I got the house of my dreams ahead of other guys.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'm wondering is how you can be dishonest in a midevil game that touts stealing as a skill? There's absolutely nothing "dishonest" about using a tool that has been deemed "illegal" by a non authority. It's a GAME dear. You're taking it way too far. 90 percent of the people I know who script are very good people that wouldn't do anything near cheating in their lives. Get over yourself. There is about 5 things that scripts can do that are "unfair." And 90 percent of the scripters who have the ability to do them WOULD NOT, just because it's unfair. You kids here need to quit attacking others in this thread because you misunderstand the top and what you're discussing. Go educate yourselves before you talk about a topic you have little real experience or understanding with. Besides, according to the poll, you're a minority. I didn't think EA listened to any minority. :)
Well said, but:

I didn't think EA listened to any minority.
As randomized resources proved, sadly they do. :/

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What I'm wondering is how you can be dishonest in a midevil game that touts stealing as a skill? There's absolutely nothing "dishonest" about using a tool that has been deemed "illegal" by a non authority. It's a GAME dear.
There's that lie again, "It's just a game." Personal integrity means nothing, because "It's just a game." I've already answered this particular lie a number of times, and I don't feel like going into it again. It is rather interesting that that castle which was placed using a cheat, by cheaters, was worth maybe $2000 US. That's $2000 "real world" US dollars. I'd be interested in knowing how much the cheater that placed it sold it for.

And that "non authority" has the power to close your account, delete the contents along with all your characters, delete the account, ban your credit card, your ip and your mac address, and it doesn't need to give a reason if that's what it decides to do. That might not mean much in the "real world" but in game terms, that's quite a lot of clout... ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What I'm wondering is how you can be dishonest in a midevil game that touts stealing as a skill? There's absolutely nothing "dishonest" about using a tool that has been deemed "illegal" by a non authority. It's a GAME dear. You're taking it way too far.
And while we're on the topic. You do realize that there are a number of people who actually make their living off this game do you not? It's what puts food on the table, buys clothes, sends children to college.

And then there are many others who have at least parts of their life's savings tied up in the company that produces UO. That's their retirement money, you know, that money that another bunch of cheaters wiped out for millions of people. I'm sure many people thought those people were good "honest" people who wouldn't "do anything near cheating in their lives".

When it comes down to it all they are selling is a set of rules that their clients play a game with, and it's support systems. In other words what they are selling is the integrity of their game. If those rules aren't enforced, or can't be enforced, if there is no integrity to the game they are trying to sell, it directly reduces the value of their product.

You know, the same product that puts food on the tables of their employees, sends their children to school, and will hopefully support them when they are old and no longer able to work. It is indeed much more than "just a game"...

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's that lie again, "It's just a game."
how is it a lie? it is a video game..... i'm confused..

someone got mad at me recently because I was playing monopoly too fast. rolling the dice before they could sit there inspecting their property cards. they said I was cheating. was I cheating? absolutely not.

the Devs saw a problem with people being able to use a script to place a house too quickly, and they changed the rules of the game world to account for that.

sometimes we will make a rule when playing monopoly that says you must pay rent if you owe it. we don't punish a person for being quick at the game by kicking them out of it.

the true rules of UO are the game mechanics, the rules of the game world. cheating means you are exploiting the game mechanics. doing something that is not intended. duping, for example.

that does not mean that only cheating is against the rules. you can't verbally harass people. there are also rules that say you cannot use unapproved programs, or unattended macro. however, unapproved programs are not illegal and unattended macroing is not cheating.

in an effort to spin the issue politically, the hard line crowd here on stratics has always used terms like "cheat" and "illegal" in the wrong way. I am vigilant about using language properly and that's why I try to explain this often.

T

Trailmyx

Imagine a world for a second where you don't have to worry about missing a specific item on a corpse for whatever reason. Actually, imagine a method to tell the computer that you want only certain qualities of items and it's OK to throw away the rest. And also imagine that you can add and remove recommendations easily and tweak your looting profile based on what you really want for a particular character. Finally, imagine including complex logic to really specify the type of items you want to accumulate. Impossible? Well, for those who think scripts are "Magic" or "Evil" than yes, it's impossible. However, for the rest of us, we can set up profiles such as this:

• OMIT: [ crook OR sceptre OR gnarled OR mace OR lance]
  • Swing Speed Increase >= 35
  • Hit Chance Increase >= 12
  • Hit Mana Leech >= 50
  • Luck >= 80
  • Strength Bonus >= 7
  • Dexterity Bonus >= 7
  • Intelligence Bonus >= 7
  • Sum of STR DEX INT >= 10
  • Sum of Resists >= 45
  • Any Skill >= 12
  • Lower Reagent Cost >= 16
  • Swing Speed Increase >= 25
  • Hit Lightning >= 40
  • Mana Increase >= 7
  • Undead Slayer
  • Reptile Slayer
  • Gold
  • Gems
  • [ Faster Casting >= 1 AND Faster Cast Recovery >= 3]

So if if using witchcraft like this makes me a cheater, then dip me in yellow paint an paint black polka-dots on my hairy back!

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"It's just a game."
Yes it is, to call a computer game anything but a game is delusional.

Personal integrity means nothing, because "It's just a game."
Just as little as PKs are murdering scums in RL or a Counterstrike player is a violent maniac gunning and stabbing people.

So yes, it means nothing in the game.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Imagine a world for a second where you don't have to worry about missing a specific item on a corpse for whatever reason.

*snip*

So if if using witchcraft like this makes me a cheater, then dip me in yellow paint an paint black polka-dots on my hairy back!
What this entire thread illustrates very clearly is how much a part of UO's gaming culture cheating has become. And yes, all that does make you a cheater. It's a violation of the TOS, so it's a cheat. It gives you a huge advantage over honest players who are naive enough to think that when they agree to a TOS, it actually means something...

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And while we're on the topic. You do realize that there are a number of people who actually make their living off this game do you not? It's what puts food on the table, buys clothes, sends children to college.
Oh please, apart from seller sites, then no one is making that kind of money out of UO.

And then there are many others who have at least parts of their life's savings tied up in the company that produces UO. That's their retirement money, you know, that money that another bunch of cheaters wiped out for millions of people. I'm sure many people thought those people were good "honest" people who wouldn't "do anything near cheating in their lives".
millions of people? huh?

What on earth are you talking about? retirement money? life savings? lol?

When it comes down to it all they are selling is a set of rules that their clients play a game with, and it's support systems. In other words what they are selling is the integrity of their game. If those rules aren't enforced, or can't be enforced, if there is no integrity to the game they are trying to sell, it directly reduces the value of their product.
So many things reduce or increase the value of the product, its a nonsense argument.

You know, the same product that puts food on the tables of their employees, sends their children to school, and will hopefully support them when they are old and no longer able to work. It is indeed much more than "just a game"...
Yet, these are the very same people you want to send to the streets to serve your crusade against scripters.

T

Trailmyx

It gives you a huge advantage over honest players who are naive enough to think that when they agree to a TOS, it actually means something...
Hmm, I'm not sure where automated looting gives me an advantage. What did I do differently than the person looting by hand? A fully attentive person would loot the exact same list of things my automated version does. I just did it in a smarter, faster, and more efficient way. I see no advantage there. If fact, given the methods of automation available, its seems kinda silly to do it by hand. I can't remember the last time I changed the channel of my TV without the remote control.

It's certainly up to you to adhere to a specific playstyle that lets you sleep soundly at night. Really, I applaud you for taking a stand and living by example. That's how you choose to play. It's just not how I'm happiest playing this tired old game.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Read what I just posted while you were posting this. It's the post immediately preceding your quoted post.
I read it, I fail to see what your point is. you are saying that a video game developer's kid will not be able to goto college because someone had a script cast earthquake 1500 times instead of the person pushing it 1500 times with their own finger. sorry, I just don't buy it. it seems like you are just making stuff up based on your emotional response.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose someone who thinks they're being clever will still continue to argue the point that scripting and unattended macroing are okay after reading these, but take a look anyway. The following are questions and answers in the Knowledge Base that you get to by going to the official EA site for UO and then clicking on the Support link on the left side and selecting "Knowledge Base" and using the search feature. You also get to some of this information (e.g., the Rules of Conduct) from other places in the official site (http://www.uoherald.com/support/service.php). Seems pretty official to me.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=347.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_li=&p_sid=jvDyEM*j&p_sp=&p_faqid=306

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=38

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=39

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=147

What I don't understand is why some of the more intelligent people who use unapproved programs and have apparently banded together to share their knowledge about using such programs haven't invested some of their time and money into coming up with a decent set of suggestions for EA to review on changes that could be made to UO to "legally" accomplish at least part of what you accomplish through these unapproved programs. Wouldn't you actually be doing the game more good in the long run by putting your efforts into that instead of continuing to support activities and programs that put your accounts at risk?

T

Trailmyx

...haven't invested some of their time and money into coming up with a decent set of suggestions for EA to review on changes that could be made to UO to "legally" ...
I'm sorry Tina, but after so much time in SA beta and seeing much of the suggestions and recommendations basically ignored because the product needed to ship, I already feel I wasted more time than I care to admit with the Dev team.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I don't understand is why some of the more intelligent people who use unapproved programs and have apparently banded together to share their knowledge about using such programs haven't invested some of their time and money into coming up with a decent set of suggestions for EA to review on changes that could be made to UO to "legally" accomplish at least part of what you accomplish through these unapproved programs. Wouldn't you actually be doing the game more good in the long run by putting your efforts into that instead of continuing to support activities and programs that put your accounts at risk?
I suggested this a few days ago and Stratics moderators locked my thread after some of the hard liners came in and started trolling.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose someone who thinks they're being clever will still continue to argue the point that scripting and unattended macroing are okay after reading these, but take a look anyway. The following are questions and answers in the Knowledge Base that you get to by going to the official EA site for UO and then clicking on the Support link on the left side and selecting "Knowledge Base" and using the search feature. You also get to some of this information (e.g., the Rules of Conduct) from other places in the official site (http://www.uoherald.com/support/service.php). Seems pretty official to me.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=347.

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_li=&p_sid=jvDyEM*j&p_sp=&p_faqid=306

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=38

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=39

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=147
Its one thing what a company deems as ok and another is what we ourselves deem as ok.

Uhm...people (legit and non-legit alike) have been doing this for years and years and years, not that they listen much.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please remember. UO tried a third party cheating detection tool once called punkbuster. The uo community threw up their arms because they didn't want to install something on their computer that had access to it. That would of been great for this game, and had it went into play, the game would be right and flourishing right now.

So to those people who steered that away, you should take your opinion elsewhere.

programs on your computer that alter things, like speed hacking, are not being tracked on the server end, and thus, not being detected. UO needed punkbuster, and it wasn't accepted. Now look where we are, practically begging for something like it. its a shame.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
For them the game could be better of. And its not the cheaters that have inflated the economy, its the ease of getting gold. Heck, I was completely shocked that after my gf started again she had a medium suit of armor/arties very quickly by just going to the painted caves and loot gold of troglodytes and bag of sending it. (gold weight next to nothing now)

There's no way you can compare an MMO to a Table Top RPG in that manner, because we're not all part of the same campaign or even play together with others. We're you the kind of person who wents over to your neighbours house and complained very loud because they didn't play the TT RPG according to the rules in their group?
Ugh, how many times do I have to explain that a game economy doesn't work like a real economy?

Get rid of scripting prices will surge for a short period then fall rapidly. Let me try to explain this like I would to my 6 year old, maybe...with luck people will finally get it.

If you remove Scripting for Resources and Gold 2 things happen. First with Resources you open the door for more competition between sellers. When sellers compete prices are driven lower. Secondly when you slow the rate of gold entering the game the rate it comes closer to the rate of gold leaving the game, this makes gold worth more. Sure you can go to the Painted Caves for a few hours yourself and gather quite a bit, but that is nothing compared to people who can farm 23.5 hours a day. Once the total amount of gold on a shard decreases to a certain point sellers will have to lower prices to make a sell, those with huge amounts of gold simply won't need items, they will have already bought them, those without huge sums won't be able to afford them so it's either a choice of selling cheaper or not selling.

As to Table Top RPGs. I don't know who you may or may not have played them with, but I know any good DM worth his salt knows the importance of NPCs to a setting. All those other players around you that are not part of your little group you go hunting with, they are no different than NPC's in a TT RPG, you can interact with them, learn from them sometimes they will even go on a quest of campaign with you but that doesn't make them part of your group.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gold won't decrease in any significant rate because there's little gold sinks in the game.

What on earth does NPCs have to do with other RPGers playing another campaign in another place than you?

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if they really do ban scripting (which I doubt) there will be less economic activity in the game because there will be less new character creation.

there will be less gold coming into the game and less gold in circulation. there will be increase in price volatility (no more vendor searching) because of trouble connecting buyers and sellers. values of Luna and Zento houses will probably go up in IRL value due to offers. the price of gold could go up. there will be more vendors and a more mom & pop atmosphere, but less activity overall. you may see a brief surge in char transfers to more populated shards, killing of smaller ones.

most importantly, the game will not be as fun, and people might quit due to resistance to change.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hmm, I'm not sure where automated looting gives me an advantage. What did I do differently than the person looting by hand? A fully attentive person would loot the exact same list of things my automated version does. I just did it in a smarter, faster, and more efficient way. I see no advantage there.
I'll see if I can word this in a way that makes what I am trying to convey, what I really shouldn't have to explain, clear. It is going to be a challenge.

You said yourself, "smarter, faster, and more efficient". Only it wasn't you being "smarter, faster, and more efficient", it was a script. Games are ultimately about competition, and in the end often what separates the most successful from the "also rans" are the smallest things.

Let's put the clock back five years. Two players spend an hour farming dragons. Person A, the honest player, killed 10 dragons, and searched through the loot, and found nothing useful. There actually was a 3/1 ring with 15 magery on one of the dragons that he could have used, but he missed it because it took him so long to search through all the loot that the corpse that it was on decayed before he could get to it.

Person B, the cheater with the loot script, killed 20 dragons. Why did he kill 20 dragons? Because it took him a quarter of the time to loot his kills. There was a 3/1 ring in the loot on the dragons he killed as well, a 3/1 ring with 16 lrc, and 4 lmc, but guess what? He didn't need it, because he already had a better ring that his loot script found for him a year ago. He'll sell that ring his script just found for a nice chunk of change that he also doesn't really need.

And what's ironic is, he's actually pvp'd against A a number of times, and B kicked A's ass. B has a far better all round suit than A, and when he killed him he made the sign of the cross and said the appropriate words, "$#&'ing noob" over his corpse. B actually thinks he's a better pvp'r than A, but the truth is, he isn't more skilled, he just has a much better suit.

And that is just one picture I can paint. I could paint thousands more pictures from any time period in the history of UO that would illustrate how cheating has destroyed the integrity of the game.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Person B, the cheater with the loot script, killed 20 dragons. Why did he kill 20 dragons? Because it took him a quarter of the time to loot his kills. There was a 3/1 ring in the loot on the dragons he killed as well, a 3/1 ring with 16 lrc, and 4 lmc, but guess what? He didn't need it, because he already had a better ring that his loot script found for him a year ago. He'll sell that ring his script just found for a nice chunk of change that he also doesn't really need.

And what's ironic is, he's actually pvp'd against A a number of times, and B kicked A's ass. B has a far better all round suit than A, and when he killed him he made the sign of the cross and said the appropriate words, "$#&'ing noob" over his corpse. B actually thinks he's a better pvp'r than A, but the truth is, he isn't more skilled, he just has a much better suit.

And that is just one picture I can paint. I could paint thousands more pictures from any time period in the history of UO that would illustrate how cheating has destroyed the integrity of the game.
All I can say to this is...WHAT??????

You really are just a trammy who's butt hurt because they were never able to do well in UO. I have news for you Llewen, long before I discovered scripts every ounce of gold I made was legitimate, and my mage suit was just as good as anyone else's. Stop making excuses for yourself because you failed to find a way to make gold. By the way, the suit doesn't make the mage...give me a POS suit and you can use the best suit in the game, I'll probably still win.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You really are just a trammy who's butt hurt because they were never able to do well in UO. I have news for you Llewen, long before I discovered scripts every ounce of gold I made was legitimate, and my mage suit was just as good as anyone else's. Stop making excuses for yourself because you failed to find a way to make gold. By the way, the suit doesn't make the mage...give me a POS suit and you can use the best suit in the game, I'll probably still win.
Oh my, how to respond?

First, I'm doing just fine in game, thanks for your concern.

In those days people poured millions of gp and hundreds of hours of game time into building their suits. Because they made no real difference in pvp right? If what you say is true that must be the reason. There sure were an awful lot of naked pvp'rs pwn'ing all the noobs back then weren't there? Just like there are today, right?

News flash, you put two equally skilled pvp'rs on the field, all other things being equal, the suit will make the difference... that or the scripts... And if you try to pvp naked against me (you can use regs if you like, I can be that generous) you will die very quickly. I'm not UO's best mage, far from it, but I can kick the ass of anyone who tries to pvp naked, and I do mean anyone...

You're the perfect example of how cheaters actually think they are better players than those who play clean. The perfect example. All kinds of excuses, all kinds of disdain, loads of self righteous indignation, heaps of trash talk. Anyone who doesn't cheat is a no skill noob. That's the way it is in pvp in UO. The way it has always been.

Let's hope that changes. And if it does, I'll still be able to hold my own, the way I do right now, and hopefully some of the cheaters on the field will be replaced by returning vets who feel that they might have a chance now that UO isn't ruled by cheaters. That's my dream, I guess we'll see how it actually works out over the next year or two.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You are right Tina, if EA would add some of the functionality that certain script programs offer, it wouldn't be necessary for people to break the rules in order to achieve what they wish to accomplish.

After reading some of the responses in this thread...I have actually changed my mind on a couple of things.

I think EA should incorporate the following into BOTH clients:
- Script looting - this doesn't hurt anyone, and if everyone can do it, no advantage is achieved.
- Heal and Cure scripts - apparently the "best" PvPers don't care if anyone uses them, so who does this hurt?
- Door opening scripts - I don't really know what this does because I am not too lazy to dbl click a freakin' door...but if someone is...who cares if they are?
- Skill training scripts - UMing was put on the no-no list because it was causing lag. Since the shards are empty anyway, there isn't much lag to worry about. Better yet, if everyone is going to just script their skills up anyway...just make gains 10x faster. Everyone can just jump to 100-120 in like a day and scripts will no longer be necessary.

I think EA should definitely do something to stop the following:
- Speed hackers - I recently saw a speeder, on foot, that blew right past me on my mare. Ridiculous. This shouldn't happen.
- Script farmers - Bots farming gold and resources so that a few online sellers can make big bucks off the game need to go. I won't change my mind on this one.

And to address your point about why these people don't submit these as changes Tina:

They don't want everyone having access to these "features" because it removes their advantages.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Gold won't decrease in any significant rate because there's little gold sinks in the game.

What on earth does NPCs have to do with other RPGers playing another campaign in another place than you?
Gold sinks are there they just don't work well because Scripts decrease their effectiveness. Lets say for example you wanted a pair of Mace and Shield glasses.... If there were no scripts would you yourself hammer out 88k bucklers or pay the 12.1 million gold? That's just one example.....

Trying to explain the usefulness of other players in game and how they basically equate to no more than NPCs in a Table Top RPG would be lost on you, I'm not even going to make the effort.

A

ahardy

Please remember. UO tried a third party cheating detection tool once called punkbuster. The uo community threw up their arms because they didn't want to install something on their computer that had access to it. That would of been great for this game, and had it went into play, the game would be right and flourishing right now.

So to those people who steered that away, you should take your opinion elsewhere.

programs on your computer that alter things, like speed hacking, are not being tracked on the server end, and thus, not being detected. UO needed punkbuster, and it wasn't accepted. Now look where we are, practically begging for something like it. its a shame.
www.google.com.br (how to bypass punkbuster) search some tutorials, do some changes and punkbuster check is done ;)

Anything you want just hint google, he promisse to be your best friend =x

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Farming of resources and gold could easily be stopped by diminishing return rules that goes by a limit over long time.

So lets say you make it so that you can mine 14 hours per week at full return (just pick a number), then you could spread that out in any way you'd want...you could powermine for 2 days and use up all the hours, or mine less for longer time.

Once you hit that limit the return more and more.

This limit is *per* account. (so having 7 mining mules don't help)

The same with gold, allow for XXX amount of gold maximum per week, once that is exceede, the gold return lessens more and more.

Then it wouldn't matter if people did it legitly or scripted, as the max return overall would be lowered.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading some of the responses in this thread...I have actually changed my mind on a couple of things.

- Script looting - this doesn't hurt anyone, and if everyone can do it, no advantage is achieved.
- Heal and Cure scripts - apparently the "best" PvPers don't care if anyone uses them, so who does this hurt?
- Door opening scripts - I don't really know what this does because I am not too lazy to dbl click a freakin' door...but if someone is...who cares if they are?
- Skill training scripts - UMing was put on the no-no list because it was causing lag. Since the shards are empty anyway, there isn't much lag to worry about. Better yet, if everyone is going to just script their skills up anyway...just make gains 10x faster. Everyone can just jump to 100-120 in like a day and scripts will no longer be necessary.
I'd like to see someone actually write up how they would actually want to see EA incorporate automated looting into UO so everyone can take advantage of it. Could someone describe at least the following:

• When and how often would you have to set up or modify your automated looting criteria? For example, would your criteria stay the same until you change it or would it reset if you log out? Would it apply across characters on the same account or across all characters you play on the same computer (e.g., like your ignore list), or would the criteria be unique to each character and non-existent for characters where you've never used the feature before?
  • How would you set your automated looting criteria--through the context menu, a button on the paperdoll, or another button on your screen?
  • What would the automated looting gump look like? Could it be multi-page/screen so you have to scroll through it or should it be more like the new titles gump where you select options on the left and the box on the right changes accordingly? Should it have a solid or a transparent background?
  • What options would you be able to choose from on the gump?
  • Would you also want the ability to make loot of a specific type go to an assigned container in your backpack? Should there be separate containers for separate categories?
  • Can you override the feature? If so, how? What other actions would or should interfere with the operation of the feature?

I don't understand the need for a script to open a door. Both clients let you set up a macro or, in the EC, a hotbar button to open doors. What else is truly needed??

We've had accelerated skill gains in the vicinity of blackrock elementals; Scrolls of Alacrity; and Scrolls of Transcendence. I think there also has been some limited behind-the scenes tinkering with the guaranteed gain system and/or skill gains for skills that cap out at 100. We've also got accelerated gain areas in and around New Haven for training skills up to 50 while on a quest from a trainer NPC. There's also one new SA-enabled quest that gives you an item to bump your alchemy skill (permanently I think).

What other ways to accelerate gaining skills could be added to the game that would be accessible to any character and won't end up just being primarily a boon for merchants and people with gold to burn?

Which skills still lack quests in New Haven? And for those skills, where would you locate a new trainer NPC, what kind of quest should they offer for training the skill to 50, where would you train the skill up to 50, and what kind of reward should they provide when you reach 50 skill level?

Which skills lack adequate content to make it possible to finish training the skill in a reasonable amount of time and what kind of repeatable and at least semi-engaging or useful content could be added to fill those gaps? Could any of this new content be added to existing dungeons to make them more appealing?

Are skill tutors and Crystal Balls of Knowledge serving a useful purpose or do they need to be enhanced?

Should EA sell things like "super-SoTs" or "super SoAs" on their gamecode site? If yes, should such items only be usable by the character that redeemed the code or should they be transferrable/sellable to other characters?

I think someone else mentioned this somewhere, but I'll repeat it here: Would it make sense for EA to sell some sort of "make-your-own" advanced character template service?

Why are golems so popular? Apart from the obvious answer of some people using them while unattended, do they actually train a character more effectively than going out and killing stuff? Do people use them mostly because they don't really know what to kill and at which stage in their training to kill it to most efficiently train their character in a weapon skill? Would people use golems less often if they had better information and possibly better weapons (i.e., ones made specifically for weapon training within a certain skill range) to use for training?

Edited to add:

One of the most recent publishes modified the gypsy spawns. Until they turned off the change to fix an issue with the spawns and certain house styles, you would sometimes find in the gypsy chests and on gypsy corpses large stacks of regs (and the "old style" gems, too, I think), as many as almost 1000 of them. Would it be appealing to have the gypsies and their chests also randomly spawn things like 1000 ingots in various types of metal? Other than on Barrier Island, the gypsies really weren't spawning like clockwork in the same areas, so you were having to look all over the place to find them. In other words, they weren't terribly easy to camp. Would it be attractive to players to use them or something else that spawns in very random locations as a way to spawn various types of valuable resources in large quantities? What about upping the quantity of ingots and randomizing the metal on monsters that already have a chance to spawn an iron ingot as part of their loot? Same with logs...different woods and more logs? (If yes, what's a reasonable limit on the logs since they'd be pretty heavy for non-carpenter, non-lumberjack characters to carry?)

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to go that route, then what EA could do that would solve the problem is to make "the unmentionable program" legal, but under the conditions that the scripts would have to be approved.

That would allow for the better scripts to exist and get rid of most of the bad scripts.

Also by making a deal with the program owners, you could make it so the program itself detects bad scripts.

Thats a pretty alternate idea.

E

eekamouse

You are right Tina, if EA would add some of the functionality that certain script programs offer, it wouldn't be necessary for people to break the rules in order to achieve what they wish to accomplish.

I think EA should definitely do something to stop the following:
- Speed hackers - I recently saw a speeder, on foot, that blew right past me on my mare. Ridiculous. This shouldn't happen.
- Script farmers - Bots farming gold and resources so that a few online sellers can make big bucks off the game need to go. I won't change my mind on this one.

And to address your point about why these people don't submit these as changes Tina:

They don't want everyone having access to these "features" because it removes their advantages.
This.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why can't people make macros for everything listed ? train skills like the rest of us.
how lazy does someone have to be to need script looting ? how greedy does someone have to be that they NEED everything from every kill they make even while under the gun of ten monsters ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why can't people make macros for everything listed ? train skills like the rest of us.
how lazy does someone have to be to need script looting ? how greedy does someone have to be that they NEED everything from every kill they make even while under the gun of ten monsters ?
I don't disagree. But let's see if anyone that's been advocating for a looting script can be bothered to take half an hour to type up a coherent and useful reply.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my, how to respond?Let's hope that changes. And if it does, I'll still be able to hold my own, the way I do right now, and hopefully some of the cheaters on the field will be replaced by returning vets who feel that they might have a chance now that UO isn't ruled by cheaters. That's my dream, I guess we'll see how it actually works out over the next year or two.
Here's another picture: Trammel players cry non stop for years and get their way every patch. And with every patch the scripting, and so called "cheating" gets worse and worse. I wonder what would happen the devs and the whiners quit crying and focused on IMPROVING THE GAME. By even talking about this we're wasting valuable time that could be spend eradicating speeders. Or at least minimizing their impact. So imo, you and your ilk are the ones who've ruined uo. Lets flip this conversation around and start being constructive... How about, NO MORE EXCUSES END SPEEDERS NOW OR LOSE ALL OUR MONEY? That would be a good thing to focus on. Don't you agree? That might bring you back to active pvping... Then again, you could just download a speeder of some sort and go pvp. And be competitive. That's not cheating if you're doing it to "level the playing field." The dev's KNOW you have to do it to compete atm. They're not stupid. They're not going to ban anyone when everyone is doing it. That wouldn't be smart business.

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many of the pro-scripting votes do you think have been cast by the same people using alternate accounts? And how many people do you think are just sick and tired of all the bickering over an issue that shouldn't even be in question and therefore have completely avoided this and every other thread that discusses this topic? And how many people do you think are avoiding threads that Lord Chaos has jumped into just because they're tired of giving him a reason to inflate his post count even more?
None

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
By even talking about this we're wasting valuable time that could be spend eradicating speeders. Or at least minimizing their impact. So imo, you and your ilk are the ones who've ruined uo. Lets flip this conversation around and start being constructive... How about, NO MORE EXCUSES END SPEEDERS NOW OR LOSE ALL OUR MONEY? That would be a good thing to focus on.
In seven months since I have come back to UO, that includes probably hundreds of hours pvp'ing, I have not seen one other character move faster than I do. Not one. And I don't use any speed hacks, and I have a pretty low end computer.

On the other hand I have seen quite a lot of what looks to me like evidence of scripting in pvp. I could be wrong, but something tells me I'm not. It's absolutely amazing how certain players reach a certain place in their health, what looks like the exact same place every time, and suddenly like the angel Gabriel landed on their shoulder, they're back to full health. I've also seen some pretty suspicious attack "macros" as well.

I think I can pretty categorically state that scripting is a far worse problem on my shard in pvp than "speeding" currently is.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's another picture: Trammel players cry non stop for years and get their way every patch.
LOL. Because the boards aren't flooded with "Archers are overpowered." "Mystics wtfpwned my horsey." "That mage kicked my puppy!" Be realistic, the moment a template kills a feli enough times, they log on their stratics account, click on Uhall, and type this amazing tale on how they're the patron saint of Pee Vee Pee but were killed by a lame, blind, duck.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

LOL. Because the boards aren't flooded with "Archers are overpowered." "Mystics wtfpwned my horsey." "That mage kicked my puppy!" Be realistic, the moment a template kills a feli enough times, they log on their stratics account, click on Uhall, and type this amazing tale on how they're the patron saint of Pee Vee Pee but were killed by a lame, blind, duck.
This is a very valid point.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also see this a bit different, there are two ways one who skills his charcater with a known bot programm, this is okay for me.

The other things are the pvp relevant things which are really bad! Treehacks, Fieldhacks, speedhack with our engine programm, this are really bad things.

I think as long as you dont destroy anyone the game feeling it is okay and can be tolerated, also mining bots or gathering bots affecting other players and can be not tolerated, but only sitting in house while casting spells or hitting a golem is okay and a real way of playing UO for many years!

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nails can i borrow your meds
LoL, so paranoid. I know several of the new acct owners and it is their only acct. the only read posts until this poll was posted. When they saw it, they thought it was finally time to say something. Commenting in a post gets u burned at the stake but voicing on a poll was safer and interesting. The results are pretty much what i expected. I wish more folks would log in and post. Maybe someone was sad enough to create a second email to make another acct but I really doubt it. Folks share as much passion as the haters of cheaters that could do the same thing. I wonder if that happened for the i would quit folks; it is just as likely for that group. Maybe those are inflated results. Now that would be something...yikes

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Thinking about this, there HAS to be some kind of middle ground here.

It's obvious that A LOT of UO players cheat. It's also obvious that A LOT of people want that to stop.

To the anti-cheater crowd: What would you be willing to concede to? Scripting? Speed Hacking? Stump Hacking? "Even-more-enhanced Clients"? Dupes? Gold/Resource "bots"?

To the cheaters: What would you be willing to condcede? (see above for list)

It seems to me that this issue is going to splinter the UO community just as much as the Tram/Fel split did...and I don't think UO can take another mass exodus of players, from EITHER side, at this point.

S

StifledArgument

I'll put to you this way:

- In over seven years of playing UO I have never had a character of mine jailed.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never received even a temporary ban on any account of mine, of any duration, or any mark on any account of mine whatsoever.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never even received a warning from a GM about anything whatsoever.
- As I said, I have never even downloaded "The-Program-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named", let alone installed it, or any similar program.
- And now that third party cheat detection is live, I have absolutely nothing to worry about. It could have a 100% detection and accuracy rate, and I would have nothing to worry about.
^^ what they said

I couldn't answer in the poll. I wouldn't cancel accounts but I don't agree with scripting.

I know it could be a bad thing if people cancel that are cheaters, but then again, it could bring back others who hate scripters.

Can it increase the prices of resources? absolutely. Will it? Probably. Do I care? Kind of, but not to the point where I don't think 3rd party (harmful) should be stopped.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's obvious that A LOT of UO players cheat. It's also obvious that A LOT of people want that to stop.

To the anti-cheater crowd: What would you be willing to concede to? Scripting? Speed Hacking? Stump Hacking? "Even-more-enhanced Clients"? Dupes? Gold/Resource "bots"?

It seems to me that this issue is going to splinter the UO community just as much as the Tram/Fel split did...and I don't think UO can take another mass exodus of players, from EITHER side, at this point.
I've already said what I wanted to say about people making concessions on this issue. My questions/suggestions were met with almost complete silence. Why bother saying more, Morgana?

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno... maybe a common ground would be a complete remake of UO, UO 2 or whatever you wanna call it. Instead of expansions, bug fixes for this UO, the devs work on re-writing the server code, client code, or just make a brand new better graphics client that still feels like UO. Could take a while but the benefits should out weigh the bad.

More secure coding, newer, easier to read, revamped coding would probably help with a lot of security holes that allow duping and probably speed hacking. I don't know."

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

I've already said what I wanted to say about people making concessions on this issue. My questions/suggestions were met with almost complete silence. Why bother saying more, Morgana?
What the cheaters want is everything, and they want it now. They don't want to work for anything, they want to press a button, and everything is given to them. Then they want to go and bully and abuse the honest players that don't cheat, and don't have what they have, because they are honest.

I don't see much middle ground. The game has already been made easy enough, it doesn't need to be made easier, and no matter how easy everything is made, the cheaters will still look for shortcuts, and for ways to cheat.

The only discussion they will understand is the inability to log in, and an email that starts with, "Your account has been banned for violating the Ultima Online Terms of Service..." Then maybe they will get the message.

There are so many good people that have closed their accounts because because of the cheaters in UO. Those are the players I want back. I'm tired of spoilt little children with no patience, and no honour.

I want to play UO with adults (of any age - there are children that are more qualified to be called "adults" than many that are years older than they are) that know the value of keeping your word, even in a game. I want to play UO with people that know how to RP evil, without being evil themselves.

/end grumpy old man rant

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What the cheaters want is everything, and they want it now. They don't want to work for anything, they want to press a button, and everything is given to them. Then they want to go and bully and abuse the honest players that don't cheat, and don't have what they have, because they are honest.

I don't see much middle ground. The game has already been made easy enough, it doesn't need to be made easier, and no matter how easy everything is made, the cheaters will still look for shortcuts, and for ways to cheat.

The only discussion they will understand is the inability to log in, and an email that starts with, "Your account has been banned for violating the Ultima Online Terms of Service..." Then maybe they will get the message.

There are so many good people that have closed their accounts because because of the cheaters in UO. Those are the players I want back. I'm tired of spoilt little children with no patience, and no honour.

I want to play UO with adults (of any age - there are children that are more qualified to be called "adults" than many that are years older than they are) that know the value of keeping your word, even in a game. I want to play UO with people that know how to RP evil, without being evil themselves.

/end grumpy old man rant
Ever wonder if some of the past and current users of the illegal third party programs are afraid to publicly speak out, even just a little, against the use of such programs because they're afraid of what might happen to their computers, their UO accounts, and their PayPal accounts if they say something negative?

A

AesSedai

/end grumpy old man rant
- Aye. 'Certainly agree with Tina Small and Llewen's responses, with one caveat being that I do think some cheaters will come to realize that cheating is bad, and stop cheating, before they are banned from this game (or 'banned' from any other potential enjoyable parts of life).

Status
Not open for further replies.